Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E05: The Hurt Locker, Part 2

Tara Ariano

Kitty joined before Will left but it was finn who kept them together after their sectionals lost. Annoying that not even that is acknowledged.

I haven't watched the episode yet, but is it possible that Kitty was referring to Finn?

No. She specifically said Will showed her what a teacher should be or something like that. To be fair I am sure he did but I also think Finn did as well. It just bugged that both weren't acknowledged.

As for the rest again way too much meta including having hypnotized Sam repeat two widely mocked Finn lines from S4 about his and Rachel's future. They were awful lines but it still was tasteless. Not to mention just more piling on of the sam= finn light. At this point he is using some of the same dialog.

The only part I really liked was the Will/Rachel scene and Rachel acknowledging she was wrong to ask Will to have VA go easy. I also liked Rachel saying this is hard but being committed to putting in the hard work. That is the type of growth I wanted to see from rachel this season

Edited by camussie
  • Love 1

No. She specifically said Will showed her what a teacher should be or something like that. To be fair I am sure he did but I also think finn did as well

True. No reason she couldn't have mentioned them both.

Ordinarily, I'd agree.  But I think bringing up Finn in direct and positive contrast to Rachel, could have derailed a lot.  Hearing "I trusted your not-quite-fiance way more than I trust you" would be a kick in the face to Rachel, even though it's true.  It's too personal, it really would make the whole thing All About Rachel, and even if it didn't, I would be left wondering why Rachel isn't then reacting more to an insult like that.

ETA:  Plus, Kitty was showing a good big of revisionist history/rose-colored glasses in that scene.  She originally joined ND to get Jake and to screw with Marley.  And possibly as a spy for Sue?

Edited by ancslove

One other note Rachel calling Unique a cross - dressing Mercedes might have been funny if we just didn't have a very special episode about Beiste transitioning to a male.

Edited by camussie
  • Love 5

So Sue just decided that b/c the songs held emotional attachments for her that the rule, she just brought up a few days earlier mind you, of a mandatory twelve members in a glee club to participate was able to be thrown out the window?  Ugh...this show.

I can't stand Klaine, just can't stand them period.

I still do not get why Rachel was so obligated to get  know those kids.   Many people bemoan the fact that the grads kept going back to HS yet Rachel tries to move on and now she is wrong for not nothing much about kids she hasn't even seen in  over  year and 1/2?

I don' t think they mentioned Finn in the Kitty context because they  did in their weekly mention of Finn when Sam tried to get Spencer to join via the quarterback talk.

Edited by tom87
  • Love 2

I found it much better than what the screener said becasue they made it out that is was 90% Klaine.

I enjoyed the Rachel/Kitty and ND stuff 1000% more than that stupid jigsaw Sue. 

• Love 3

I hated everything with Sue, and by extension the Klaine stuff (there were some kind of funny moments with them though).

Loved the Kitty stuff. Loved the twins. And I liked the Sam/Spencer scene.

Please no more hypnotizing. Please give Sue her mandatory 2 episode absence now.

Okay FINE I laughed at the montage of Sue auditioning for famous roles and getting denied. But I wish all those scenes didn't cut out the ND performances, to be honest.

I still do not get why Rachel was so obligated to get  know those kids.   Many people bemoan the fact that the grads kept going back to HS yet Rachel tries to move on and now she is wrong for not nothing much about kids she hasn't even seen in  over  year and 1/2?

You mean the new kids from s4 and 5? Well with that I think it was that she didn't even bother to learn their names when she was there. I would consider that rude. 

You mean the new kids from s4 and 5? Well with that I think it was that she didn't even bother to learn their names when she was there. I would consider that rude. 

I guess I do not think I would be offended if someone I met  once or twice nearly 2 years ago didn't remember my name. 

Edited by tom87
  • Love 5

How often was Rachel there?  She was avoiding McKinley in most of Season 4, after she and Finn broke up.  She probably had all the names and faces thrown at her when she and Kurt went to see Grease, and then again months later when she returned for Will's wedding, but she didn't work with any of them then.  She returned for Finn's memorial, and then again for the 100 tribute to Will, and both of those times, the focus was on the graduates.  Rachel had no real connection to ND, when she wasn't with Finn.  She never mentored them, like Santana, Quinn, Mercedes, and Puck did.  She also had no real personal connection to Sam, Tina, or Brittany.

Well I haven't seen the ep but Kitty may have referred to when Rachel didn't bother to learn the new kids names when she was there in the 100th ep. Or that if Rachel was trying to restart the Glee club she should know the name of the only remaining former member left in the school

I guess I do not think I would be offended if someone I met once or twice nearly 2 years ago didn't remember my name.

I'd be pissed as hell if my brother's friend didn't know my name.

Is Rachel so stupid she can remember 5 names? She didn't know them but Finn, Kurt and Santana did. Didn't she meet them at Grease or Mr Schue's not wedding?

guess I do not think I would be offended if someone I met  once or twice nearly 2 years ago didn't remember my name.

I completely understand Rachel's position here, she rarely came back unlike every other former ND member.  The few times she did come back it was for a quick visit or her boyfriend's funeral and I can see her having other priorities.  In a perfect high school tv show she would have known some of their names considering they would have been at the school all along while she was there and the writers could have slowly built up the newbies to eventually take their own spotlights in ND, but oh well...

Is anyone else not a fan of the gay football ND member?  I think it's his attitude that he is the awesomest at everything and can do no wrong.  The way he just walked into the choir room and decided to become what seemed like co-captain w/Kitty really rubbed me the wrong way.  I know Sam built him up in that way saying how they team needed him like the original ND needed Finn was just crap.  Kitty as captain of the the team was earned in my opinion as she eloquently stated to Rachel basically as she was the remaining ND member after Sue cleaned house.  I just feel that the gay football player needs to earn that spot.  

I guess they are setting it up for Will to come back to McKinley, or are we calling it Finn Memorial High School now basically, at the end of the series.

I was expecting that the lead singer for the VA was going to jump ship to ND after being pissed at Will.

• Love 1

She might not have actually "met" them at Grease.  Rachel and Kurt didn't stay that long, certainly not to celebrate the production afterward.  She might have gotten the crash course introduction, and that's a big *might*, but that's just a blur of names and faces and shaking hands.  

Tina got her into college, but they were never close friends.  If Rachel is avoiding McKinley because of Finn, I highly doubt that she'd be sneaking back to catch up with Tina.

On the positive, the scene where Kitty was talking about how she was sad about Glee ending actually got to me.

On the negative (at least of those not yet mentioned), that Klaine kiss felt explotative. Like the way TV shows will us two girls making out not to have a story, or meaning, but to titalize straight people. This was basically that with how long it went on.

Is Rachel so stupid she can remember 5 names? She didn't know them but Finn, Kurt and Santana did. Didn't she meet them at Grease or Mr Schue's not wedding?

Not sure what your brother has to do with anything.  She has not seen any of them for nearly 2 years.   I do not know the names of all the people my friends associated with 2 year ago.

Weird I do not know all the names of my siblings acquaintances  either and we are pretty close. 

Edited by tom87
  • Love 3

Tina got her into college, but they were never close friends. If Rachel is avoiding McKinley because of Finn, I highly doubt that she'd be sneaking back to catch up with Tina.

Rachel mentions them keeping in touch in the stupid episode with Sarah Jessica Parker singing about the ballet.

I think we're meant to believe that all of ND were bestest buds who always texted and called each other even if they were never onscreen together, to be honest.

I actually thought the best parts about Tina's scenes in season 4 were when she would call Santana or someone else to just to drop some gossip and stir some shit hahaha.

At the ballet beautiful number.

Tina and Rachel are suppose to be friends but as with most stuff on glee they try to tell us that but never really showed us that.

Edited by tom87

Is anyone else not a fan of the gay football ND member?  I think it's his attitude that he is the awesomest at everything and can do no wrong.  The way he just walked into the choir room and decided to become what seemed like co-captain w/Kitty really rubbed me the wrong way.  I know Sam built him up in that way saying how they team needed him like the original ND needed Finn was just crap.  Kitty as captain of the the team was earned in my opinion as she eloquently stated to Rachel basically as she was the remaining ND member after Sue cleaned house.  I just feel that the gay football player needs to earn that spot.  

I haven't been a fan and see no reason to start now. Agree with what you're saying. It's funny how you either need to be a football gay or a straight passing gay to lead the ND, but god forbid if you were a more flamboyant (relatively speaking) gay, then no solos and leadership for you. And the Spencer actor isn't much of an actor or a singer.

I also had Sam/Quinn headlining flashbacks when Kitty and Spencer lead the performance song. The actor seemed very interested in Kitty there.

I think they're friends, but more casual/circumstantial/catching up on social media.  I don't see Rachel making special trips back to Lima for Tina, unless Tina was in crisis.  And my whole point was that Rachel had no big reason to return to Lima often enough to get to know a group of complete strangers, and one very big reason to stay away from Lima.  Even if Rachel chatted with Tina once a week, she's still not getting to know Ryder, Marley, Jake, and Kitty.

• Love 3

Rachel should know Unique's name at least considering she competed against her at nationals in S3 and Unique won the MVP that year.  I can't imagine Rachel would have forgotten that to the point where Unique became a "cross dressing Mercedes."  At the very least she would be "that girl who won MVP at nationals and then joined ND." The rest I agree there is no reason she would know their names.  

. I know Sam built him up in that way saying how they team needed him like the original ND needed Finn was just crap.

Especially since Finn earned co-captain by doing the arrangement for DSB  (and several other songs that season) and using everyone's strengths to put together a number on the fly.  

Edited by camussie

Episode 1

Spencer:  I am so cool and no one cares if I am gay

Episode 5

Spencer: If I join glee club everyone will hate me because I am gay.

??????

ETA: I'll give ya  Unique.    But again can't get to upset by the dumb names becasue of all the things that were stupid stuff  in these past 2 episodes that doesn't even ping my radar.

Edited by tom87
  • Love 1

Episode 1

Spencer:  I am so cool and no one cares if I am gay

Episode 5

Spencer: If I join glee club everyone will hate me because I am gay.

??????

I was wondering that too. I thought the whole point of his character was that everyone knew he was gay but he didn't care or something??

I think they meant Puck's half brother Jake.  But Rachel wasn't really friends with Puck, either. Those two haven't had a scene together in years. 

Ok not sure why Rachel would need to know Puck's half brother friend's names.  And as you said they haven't  show Rachel  and Puck talking to each other for 3 years.   Sorry seems to me people just stuck on finding more fault with Rachel.   

But the Unique point is valid.

See no one has mentioned the nice strides Rachel did make this episode though.

Edited by tom87

Actually I did mention the strides Rachel made in this episode

The only part I really liked was the Will/Rachel scene and Rachel acknowledging she was wrong to ask Will to have VA go easy. I also liked Rachel saying this is hard but being committed to putting in the hard work. That is the type of growth I wanted to see from rachel this season

I liked Rachel and Kitty’s scenes. Don’t know if it’s just because I like Lea and Becca, but this is the first time we’ve really seen a female mentor relationship. And I’m not counting Sue and Becky because Sue is a horrible person and shouldn’t be anyone’s mentor. I hope they expand on their relationship in the little time the show has left. 

I get where Kitty was coming from with her fears about Rachel abandoning the club once it’s time to get back to Broadway or wherever, but Will never bothered to even talk to Kitty from what I remember. Will didn’t really bother with any of the new kids, except I think he’s the one who recruited Jake? I don’t even know, but he didn’t have the relationship with them that he had with the original kids so Kitty’s warm feelings towards Mr. Schue seem a bit misplaced.

Every second of Klaine made me want to die a little. And Sue "shipping Klaine" isn't funny at all. That was all such a waste of time. 

Jake's brother didn't even know he existed till after Rachel left town. And Rachel has hardly talked to Puck since season 2 so her connection to Puck is no reason to know Jake's name. Really Rachel had no reason to know any of those kids' names, she didn't coach them like Finn, she didn't mentor them like Kurt/Santana/Quinn/Mercedes/Mike, and she wasn't in Glee with them like Blaine/Sam/Tina/Artie. They were just random kids who joined a club after she left it. She may have been in the same room as them a couple of times but they weren't shown to interact much at all. I sure as hell don't remember the name of everyone I've ever been in the same room with. 

• Love 7

I liked Rachel and Kitty’s scenes. Don’t know if it’s just because I like Lea and Becca, but this is the first time we’ve really seen a female mentor relationship. And I’m not counting Sue and

Becky because Sue is a horrible person and

shouldn’t be anyone’s mentor. I hope they

expand on their relationship in the little time the show has left.

I get where Kitty was coming from with her fears about Rachel abandoning the club once it’s time to get back to Broadway or wherever, but Will

never bothered to even talk to Kitty from what I

remember. Will didn’t really bother with any of

the new kids, except I think he’s the one who

recruited Jake? I don’t even know, but he didn’t

have the relationship with them that he had with

the original kids so Kitty’s warm feelings

towards Mr. Schue seem a bit misplaced.

Every second of Klaine made me want to die a little. And Sue "shipping Klaine" isn't funny at all. That was all such a waste of time.

Jake's brother didn't even know he existed till after Rachel left town. And Rachel has hardly talked to Puck since season 2 so her connection to Puck is no reason to know Jake's name. Really Rachel had no reason to know any of

those kids' names, she didn't coach them like

Finn, she didn't mentor them like

Kurt/Santana/Quinn/Mercedes/Mike, and she

wasn't in Glee with them like

Blaine/Sam/Tina/Artie. They were just random

kids who joined a club after she left it. She may

have been in the same room as them a couple

of times but they weren't shown to interact much

at all. I sure as hell don't remember the name of

everyone I've ever been in the same room with.

I think Will actually bonded the most with Unique.

The club got disbanded just as he was finding his groove with the new ND IMO.

Thinking about it I can say why them using lines Finn said as meta from hypnotized Sam bothered me so.  Well one line - "we are endgame."  I know that line was criticized in many places (which is why the writers decided to go meta on it) but within the structure of Glee Rachel was charmed by it and indicated she believed it by picking that last petal.  It was also said the last night she ever spent with Finn.  She never saw him again after early the next morning when she kissed him goodbye while he was sleeping.  I would think hearing Sam or anyone say that to her again would cause some sort of reaction beyond silly antics given that the guy who said it to her died not so long after that.  Yet silly antics is what we got.  

Edited by camussie
  • Love 6

I'd say this episode was better than last week, since I made it through the entire episode without turning it off in disgust!  (admittedly a very very low bar).  Also, that's the first use of Becky on this show in a long time that didn't make me want to be violent. Becky providing the voice of the audience/voice of the Klaine doubters was actually entertaining.

So....  the band is the extra 6 people they need, apparently - BUT the band doesn't get to stand on stage, or be part of the trophy placement?  Oh Glee, you're terrible.   

Not a fan of Spencer.  

I think Will actually bonded the most with Unique.

The club got disbanded just as he was finding his groove with the new ND IMO.

Oh that's right, he did have some nice moments with Unique. I don't really blame Will for not bonding with the rest of the new kids, they weren't very interesting and I wouldn't bother getting to know them either. Plus it was clear in season 4 that the show was preparing to ship him off and have Finn take over the club, so it was more important for them to show Finn making a connection with the new kids, which he did with Marley and Ryder. But no one really gave a damn about Kitty (except for that time the club staged an over the top performance of Love Child to get her to feel worthy of playing the Virgin Mary in the nativity), but still, it's nice to see Rachel step up to play that role now. 

But wasn't Will really gross to Unique at some point in season 4 when he made some comment about her breasts?

I didn't see it that way, but some people did.

Even so, they formed a nice relationship in season 5, which made up for it to me.