Type keyword(s) to search

The Chew - General Discussion

Lola16
  • Start Topic

Yes, I see Paula will be on again.

This woman has been so embarrassing every time she is on this show, why does come on here just to remind us,she is insane.

We get it Paula, you're nuts, no need to show us.

Edited by imjagain
  • Love 1

Since Gordon Elliott discovered Paula and he had many years of success with her, I guess he wants to keep dragging her out to help remind people she's still around, and oh - she's got a web series y'all!

• Love 2

Paula was her usual disgusting self today. First she planted a right-on-the-mouth kiss on that poor guy in the bake shop she went into with Carla. Then during the cooking segment in the studio, she told Clinton he was like a turd in the punchbowl. Even the audience groaned disapprovingly at that. Plus she did her usual dipping of the fingers into the food being prepared and lapping it off. I am hoping the Chew crew is gritting their teeth and making nice to her because they HAVE to, and not because they actually want to. I purposefully don't watch anything else she is on (if anything at all) but I like The Chew, so I endured it.

• Love 2

Has anyone else noticed the editing lately has been atrocious? They'll be chatting away at the table or whatever and suddenly mid-sentence everyone's moved slightly and they're talking about something else.  It's really patchy and really bad. I don't know if they're editing for time or if someone says/does something not appropriate for daytime tv or what, but it's distractingly bad. 

• Love 1

Today's solutions to kitchen problems had me shaking my head.  Mario and Daphne came out with sponges and wanted to know how to make them go further.  Carla's solution was to cut them with scissors.  You don't cut toilet paper in half to make it go further because it would do a shitty--pun intended--job of cleaning yourself.  Why would cutting a sponge in pieces make it better?  Am I missing something?

Today's solutions to kitchen problems had me shaking my head.  Mario and Daphne came out with sponges and wanted to know how to make them go further.  Carla's solution was to cut them with scissors.  You don't cut toilet paper in half to make it go further because it would do a shitty--pun intended--job of cleaning yourself.  Why would cutting a sponge in pieces make it better?  Am I missing something?

I don't think it was necessarily a great tip but half a sponge will clean the same as a whole sponge it will just clean a smaller area so you will have to make a few more wipes, the same could not be said for toilet paper which is not reusable and disintegrates.

• Love 3

Sometimes I think these folks are taking speed. The other day (maybe it was yesterday--IDK) they rushed through every segment as if they were on fire. I just FFd through the show because I felt frenzied, too. Mario always talks fast and he has no problem whatsoever with self esteem. He wants us all to know he's a clever, clever boy! Anyway, I record the show every day and I like the way they all get along with each other. There are some things I'm not fond of, but I just hit the button on my remote and skip it. I love technology.

• Love 3

So, today, May 14, Michael had a segment where he pan fried gnocchi. He went to a restaurant where a famous chef showed him the technique and he recreated it on the show. Pan fried potatoes!!! How bad can it be? Yet, when he presented it to his co-hosts, they talked about taking pictures of food and Michael got disgusted and asked them to comment on the food he prepared. But they didn't stop with the conversation. Then he brought the food to a member in the audience. I have no idea if pan fried gnocchi is delicious or not, but his co-hosts were astonishingly rude. I think, for the first time, I saw Michael Simon, get really pissed off. And, Batali, get over your bad self. You're not all that. I think the only one who reacted to Simon's irritation was Clinton Kelly, but it was the ending segment, so...   And I apologize if his name is spelled Symon.

Aw, while that segment did get away from Michael, I think the shows of indifference and irritation were all in good fun.  I refuse to believe this gang ever gets really angry or rude with each other.

(edited)
I think, for the first time, I saw Michael Simon, get really pissed off. And, Batali, get over your bad self.

I don't think he was pissed off at all, the segment about the photos was clearly planned, they were doing what they were supposed to do (ie the segment the producers had planned down to photos of people taking photos of food); whereas, Michael who hates people taking pictures of food in his restaurants went off script but even that seemed to be in good fun. Also, Mario like nearly every other chef/person who has met him adores Jonathan Waxman (aka Obi Wan) so I don't believe for a second that they were insulting his dish or Michael.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1

I thought Dr. Oz was pretty inoffensive this time around. Except for saying turmeric might be why there's less Alzheimer's in India. And the neti pot thing. And his disgust in the fried Oreos. I would eat an entire plate of fried Oreos in front of him without breaking eye contact just so I could watch the look on his face. Meh.

Jesse Palmer is consistently delightful.

Congrats to Daphne on the boy!

• Love 7

Aw, while that segment did get away from Michael, I think the shows of indifference and irritation were all in good fun.  I refuse to believe this gang ever gets really angry or rude with each other.

Clinton was really snippy with Carla last week. I think it was supposed to come across as "in good fun" but I think he was really annoyed.

This show was on hiatus for significant amount of time last summer--does anyone remember how long? I was thinking it was after July 4 through all of August, does that sound right?

Mario's joke about the husband who took the bedding and china being someone who left their wife for Clinton is why I love when it's just the hosts. Michael and particularly Clinton's reaction (continued throughout the show) cracked me up.

• Love 2
(edited)

does that sound right?

Yeah.

ETA: Today's show seemed new so perhaps they pre-recorded some to use during their hiatus.  Or maybe I just don't remember seeing it before.  Let's face it:  this show is enjoyable but the episodes do tend to run together after awhile.

Edited by Qoass

I think this batch of episodes is confusing me.  I think last season they pre-taped whole shows but now I think they're cobbling together segments to create "new" episodes.  They keep having their clothes change.  They keep having celebrity guests they've already had but none of the recipes look that familiar to me. 

They are cobbling together "new" shows. I can't say whether the recipes are repeats or if they're showing segments that never aired before because I haven't been able to watch regularly this season -- but I do remember Gloria Estefan and her Cuban coffee and Toni Braxton cutting whatever that was too thin. The intro segments do seem new, so maybe they taped a bunch of those to fit the theme of the new, cobbled together shows. I thought last summer they ran intact repeats, but I could be misremembering.

These are definitely shows cobbled together with new intros, and sometimes even new endings, with older taped segments in between. I saw the same woman in the audience at three different intros on three different days. She was hard to miss because she had long pink hair. It looked to me as if they asked the audience members to bring a sweater or sweatshirt, so it appeared to be a completely "fresh" audience.

• Love 1

I sort of like this better than last summer, when they just stopped airing for a month or more. I like the new intros and I can just fast forward through any of the other segments I do not want to see again. I was a bit confused the first one I saw, however, that they had one set of hosts at the beginning and a different set in the segments. Maybe if they said something about how these were cobbled together shows it would make more sense?

• Love 3

I was so confused and I had been avoiding this thread for spoilers (not that it's like high drama, but I prefer to read when caught up).  My Comcast app show no new episodes available, but Hulu does.  My tv listings show them as new every day but I forget to watch every day "live".

It's really a mess and I'd have preferred a break. Summer is time for summer shows and catching up on stuff I missed, not disjointed weirdness. Like one episode had Clinton, Daphne, Carla, and Symon the whole time and then *poof* Mario shows up for the last ten minutes. WTF?  And if you're going to do a clip show? Make it clear. Don't try to pass it off as new content. Call it "Summer best of with some new stuff" or something. 

Cause you know what? When REALLY TRULY new episodes start up in September and Daphne is the size of a house on a Monday when she was itty bitty on Friday and they all talk about what they did all summer while pretending they just taped the week before? That's going to be surreal and awful.

HI, just wondering if anyone is planning on going to see them at the Epcot Food and Wine Festival this fall. I checked the website, but tickets don't seem to be available yet.

I usually go to Orlando about once a year. I've been to the Food and Wine Fest before, and it was okay, but I've been thinking of planning my next trip around it this year.

The tickets for The Chew's Epcot Food and Wine Festival appearance were made available on the Chew website as regular "The Chew" ticket are. They have been "sold out" forever (I put sold out in quotes, as I believe they were free, as are the NYC tickets, but I could be wrong).

When The Chew went on vacation, I decided not to watch the piecemeal shows.  Now that new shows are on the horizon, the idea of watching seems repellent to me.

Reasons:

• Michael's braying laugh
  • Daphne's goody two shoes persona
  • Carla talking while she eats
  • Mario's constant pimping of Parmigiano-Reggiano
  • I can't find anything bad to report about Clinton.
  • The audience's screams of delight when the word jalapeno or habanero is uttered 
  • Celebrity guests who have something to plug and have the who-gives-a-shit attitudes to match
  • Gordon Elliott's unctuously douchy introductions
Edited by pandora spocks
  • Love 1

Aw, I'm looking forward to the new shows. I've missed them.

There are a couple of things I would like them to drop, however. Chief among them are the Hidden Valley Ranch segments that I feel demean the chefs. If I never hear Carla say "there's flavor in the brown" again, it will be too soon. Oh, and no Paula Deen ever.

Edited by jcbrown
  • Love 4

I'm also looking forward to new shows too.

Regarding the Hidden Valley Ranch segments, I always cringe when they have them. I guess they have bills to pay :) it seems only Carla, Daphne and maybe Clinton do them. I don't remember Michael or Mario doing them, I could be wrong. Still very awkward imo.

I am watching the new show that I DVR'd today, and thought I'd take a peek again at tickets for the Epcot food and wine shows. They have opened them up, but I am already waitlisted for every one. If you are interested in going, I suggest you try getting on the wait list as well.

When The Chew went on vacation, I decided not to watch the piecemeal shows.  Now that new shows are on the horizon, the idea of watching seems repellent to me.

Reasons:

Michael's braying laugh

Daphne's goody two shoes persona

Carla talking while she eats

Mario's constant pimping of Parmigiano-Reggiano

I can't find anything bad to report about Clinton.

The audience's screams of delight when the word jalapeno or habanero is uttered

Celebrity guests who have something to plug and have the who-gives-a-shit attitudes to match

Gordon Elliott's unctuously douchy introductions

I agree with you, pandora.  I like to watch the show for recipes and cooking tips and ideas.  I would also like to add the stupid games to that.  I hate those games. 

• Love 1

I like many of the games, actually, with the exception of that stupid one with the playing cards. 

I do agree with the hope that they drop the viewer focus. I don't tune in to watch random people that I don't care about be pandered to by the people I actually came to watch.

Edited by jcbrown
  • Love 2

I love the Chew crew so much that I feel guilty agreeing that so far this season is really off its game.  Speaking of which, I like Food Pyramid and Celebrity Egg Timer (which isn't really a game) and when they pit a super-fan against a guest for trivia about the guest.  The rest can just go away.

I'm hoping for some C & C Food Factory dancing and a decent craft segment soon.

• Love 2

I don't mind the games because I realize it must be difficult to come up with about three recipes a day, five days in a row.  I already roll my eyes when Mario or Clinton puts a rub on another slab of meat.  Maybe they're all different but it's personally hard me to conceptualize one rub from another just based on TV--therefore I'm less likely to actually make it. 

But the real reason is that unless it's a game I really like to watch (Pyramid), it's perfect fast forward material.  I DVR the show and the less time it takes to watch at night, the better it is for me.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 1

So happy they made the pumpkin bread on today's show... after whatever the hell that was yesterday.

The recipe is totally up my alley, looks like I'll be making it this weekend. I do wish they'd bake more often. Especially with the holidays coming up, the more cookies, breads, and muffins... the better!

Getting tired of Michael. Not a minute goes by where he's not giggling and making the ugliest faces.

I guess Jaime Lee Curtis won't be back! I mean I am going to make that pumpkin bread because I love everything involved but I could have made it whe Clinton described it in the intro 30 mins before she got on stage, easy recipe and totally dump, mix, bake. However, the way Clinton reacted to Mario trying to soften Jlc' s appearance spoke volumes as did argumentative Mario immediately dropping it.

Just watched the Jamie Lee Curtis epi. What the hell was that? I haven't liked her much since she started being all over my TV crowing about her poop-inducing yogurt and her performance here did not help that at all. Having her on the same show with Paula f&*ing Deen did not help my disposition at all. We get it, Gordon, she has pictures of you with a goat or something. Please stop inflicting her on us.

• Love 2

I love Clinton but if he has one weakness it's his need to be in control.   When he feels like things are getting out of control, he doesn't hide his irritation well.  We see it occasionally with Michael but it happens during celeb interviews too when those celebs march to the beat of their own drum.  Joel McHale and Jamie Lee Curtis are two of the most extreme recent examples but I've seen him go into wrangling mode other times.

Maybe it's my preference but I thought Jamie was hilarious.  She's zany and I like when the show goes off script.  Either way, Clinton chastising her for not eating her whole piece of bread was him losing his cool.

• Love 3