Type keyword(s) to search

The Chew - General Discussion

Lola16
  • Start Topic

I hope I am posting in the right place, since the site's threads have been merged and/or reorganized!   Anyway, did anyone see this, about Mario? -- https://abc7.com/sources-celebrity-chef-mario-batali-will-not-face-criminal-charges-/5036208/

Also, I have not watched one single episode of that 30-minute Daphne Oz show-within-a-show on Wednesdays, but I often see her promoting it and happily talking about it on Instagram.   I am just not interested.    If Daphne's show gets picked up as its own individual thing, rather than just being inserted into her dad's show, then I will be very annoyed because I don't want that show.  I want The Chew... or a New Chew (with the same crew!).

I don't watch GMA Day either, but I know that Carla is on it.   I still think that it won't be a long-lasting series.   I still think of it as filler until ABC figures out what else to put on in that slot.   

I hope that Carla, Clinton and Michael can do another Facebook live session sometime this year.   

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 1

I finally broke down and watched one episode of GMA Day within the last couple of weeks, to see Carla. It's not right for her. She seems to be trying too hard. It's just not her in her best light. The whole time I was watching, I kept feeling like, "She's so afraid she'll lose this gig."

The show is also a disaster all around. It doesn't do what it's trying to do as well as either The Chew or The View. I still want The Chew back, damn it. 

• Love 2

Hi everyone. I just "liked" a whole bunch of your posts, because I know when I got to the upgraded forum, I was afraid I wouldn't find this thread, so I thought I'd leave a trail of breadcrumbs.

(It's actually pretty easy to navigate. I highly recommend taking the PTV New Features Tour, which is currently accessible in the green banner atop each page.)

• Love 2
53 minutes ago, ari333 said:

I miss this show so much!!

Me, too! Clinton posted on Facebook that he is also judging a show called Family Food Showdown on Food Network tonight at 8.

• Love 1

The 20-year partnership between the celebrity chef Mario Batali and the Bastianich family of restaurateurs was formally dissolved on Wednesday, more than a year after several women accused Mr. Batali of sexual harassment and assault.

Mr. Batali “will no longer profit from the restaurants in any way, shape or form,” said Tanya Bastianich Manuali, who will head day-to-day operations at a new company, as yet unnamed, created to replace the Batali & Bastianich Hospitality Group.

Mr. Batali is also selling his shares in Eataly, the fast-growing global chain of luxury Italian supermarkets. “Eataly is in the process of acquiring Mr. Batali’s minority interest in Eataly USA,” said Chris Giglio, a spokesman for that company.

Several famous chefs and restaurateurs have recently been accused of sexual harassment, but Mr. Batali is the first to surrender all his restaurants.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/06/dining/mario-batali-bastianich-restaurants.html

• Love 1
On 3/3/2019 at 6:45 PM, jcbrown said:

Me, too! Clinton posted on Facebook that he is also judging a show called Family Food Showdown on Food Network tonight at 8.

I watched. Not enough Clinton.  I know he has a baking show he will be hosting, Maybe that will  showcase his personality.  I miss The Chew. 

Edited by Coffeewinewater
  • Love 1
On 2/23/2019 at 1:40 PM, Irlandesa said:

Clinton Kelly is going to be hosting the upcoming season of Spring Baking Championship so if you're missing you Clinton fix...

I'm not much of a Baker but I'll be watching.  The Family Food Showdown.  Left me meh.

• Love 1

I guess Michael Symon was on today's TODAY in an earlier segment, and he's got one coming up at 10:00 a.m. EDT, too. His mom's famous meatball recipe -- refresh my memory,  because I might not be able to watch the segment -- was that the one that included ricotta? 

Yes, it's the ricotta one. BTW, you should see it - Kathie Lee says at the end that she enjoyed "chewing" with him and early on, Hoda asks him about how great NBC is and Michael jokes back about how he should have been here all along...

• Love 2
On 3/14/2019 at 5:15 PM, ML89 said:

Yes, it's the ricotta one. BTW, you should see it - Kathie Lee says at the end that she enjoyed "chewing" with him and early on, Hoda asks him about how great NBC is and Michael jokes back about how he should have been here all along...

Good for him. I'll try to remember to search YouTube or the NBC website. 

BTW, and I hope this isn't too off-topic, but I have since watched another episode or two of Strahan and Sara (the ABC show which replaced The Chew). It is uniformly terrible, and I don't actually believe it can be significantly cheaper for the network than The Chew. It's a talk show. I like Sara Haines (and don't care about Strahan, but don't dislike him either), but it should be cancelled. It's just actively bad TV. I have to blame the producers, because Strahan was fine with Kelly Ripa and Haines was fine on The View. The network ought to be begging The Chew crew to come back.  

• Love 6
On 3/20/2019 at 5:15 AM, biakbiak said:

Daphne apparently likes kids! Baby number 4 is on the way.

Good for Daphne. She looks gorgeous.

I remember her saying on The Chew that she wanted a big family. I was trying to remember if she said a number (like six or seven kids). Does anyone recall that?

4 hours ago, General Days said:

I remember her saying on The Chew that she wanted a big family. I was trying to remember if she said a number (like six or seven kids). Does anyone recall that?

I thought she said 11, that's what's stuck in my head! It must have been seven and I misheard her.

5 hours ago, General Days said:

I thought she said seven but I could be wrong.

1 hour ago, Coffeewinewater said:

I'm not sure if anyone checks in here very often. Just wanted to give a heads up. Michael Symon will be hosting  Michael and Sarah  Wednesday may 1.

What is Michael and Sarah?

(edited)

Carla ran into Clinton, and, based on what she says next to the picture below, apparently they are planning another Facebook live stream with Michael Symon (the last one was in the fall last year -- remember the Cheese Rat or whatever it was??  lol).   She said that we should stay tuned for details.

While I am glad that it's one less show for me to have to keep up with every week or every day, I do miss The Chew a lot and still hope that one day they will be able to reunite for some sort of series.  I mean... if Daphne's cooking/chat show-within-a-show every week is doing well, then there is still an audience for that kind of format on TV.    I can't believe it's been close to one year since the cancellation of The Chew was announced (it was in May of 2018).  Time flies!

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 6
On 4/30/2019 at 9:37 PM, Coffeewinewater said:

I'm not sure if anyone checks in here very often. Just wanted to give a heads up. Michael Symon will be hosting  Michael and Sarah  Wednesday may 1.

Dang. I missed this post. I would have watched it. I wonder if it is still online. Off to check.

(edited)

When I posted Carla's picture with Clinton, where she said to stay tuned for the details of their Facebook Live, I didn't think it would be quite this soon.  I figured we'd see it in another few weeks or one month or something!   That was fast! 

Now I have to remind myself or put a big note somewhere I will see it, so I don't forget to tune in on Tuesday!   I'm excited to see them together again.  Hopefully we won't have to wait another 7 months or more for the next Facebook Live after this one.

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 1

I'm excited about the new Facebook episode.  Thanks for letting us know, @TVFan17 and @jcbrown.

Michael was on Today with Hoda & Jenna, this morning. I caught it after the fact, or I would have posted here. (My DVR was tuned to NBC. I caught the last few seconds and was able to rewind the whole segment.)

He appeared with Jenna Bush and Savannah Guthrie in a segment called "Today Food." He essentially cooked two "Five in Five" meals, in about four minutes. It  was possible, because they already had the components at different stages of cooking.

The first meal was Pan Roasted Chicken Thighs with Ramps, Peas and Mushrooms. The second was Spaghetti with Pea Pods and Lemon. I feel like I've seen both on The Chew, before, but it was still nice to see him.

When Jenna introduced him, she noted that he owns 17 restaurants around the country. Michael cracked, "You wanna buy a couple?"

The Today website has versions of the recipes:

https://www.today.com/recipes/chicken-thighs-ramps-peas-mushrooms-recipe-t154128

https://www.today.com/recipes/spaghetti-pea-pods-lemon-recipe-t154134

I was hoping he'd mention something about an upcoming TV project, but he didn't (or I really need more caffeine). 

I checked, but as of right now, no videos have been posted to the Today site or on its YouTube Channel.

• Love 1
(edited)

I've noticed that Daphne has been more interactive with Michael and Clinton on social media this year than she was last year.  I think she had always stayed in contact with Carla, but, for a while after Daphne left the show, it seemed as though she wasn't really commenting on or liking posts from the other two (and Clinton even said at some point last year that he wasn't in contact with her).  Now I see that she occasionally pops in to comment or like something that Michael and Clinton post, so maybe they are back in contact.   

I actually wondered if, somewhere down the road, Daphne might ever secretly try to get Clinton, Carla and Michael to come in and guest host/sit in on her "Dish" show-within-a-show for one episode (all of them together),  but there might be some sort of network restrictions since Michael seems to be in the NBC family now, and Carla is still with ABC.  I have no clue about the legalities of it all.   But it would be a fun idea for the 4 of them to do one episode of The Dish together.

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, TVFan17 said:

I actually wondered if, somewhere down the road, Daphne might ever secretly try to get Clinton, Carla and Michael to come in and guest host/sit in on her "Dish" show-within-a-show for one episode (all of them together),  but there might be some sort of network restrictions since Michael seems to be in the NBC family now, and Carla is still with ABC.  I have no clue about the legalities of it all.   But it would be a fun idea for the 4 of them to do one episode of The Dish together.

If since he was on GMA Strahan and Sara (ABC) on May 1st, he probably doesn't have any exclusive deal with NBC, unless there's something new I missed.  (Very possible.)

Generally speaking, if you're not a regular, you do can other stuff. Depending on your role with a show or network, they might have the right of first refusal -- that's if there's any kind of recurring deal at all, and you're not just a guest on a given episode.

• Love 1
(edited)

I just watched the 3 amigos.  It's great that they do this for the fans. They were hilarious.  I do think they would love to do something together again.  Even talked about what that would look like. I think they like the freedom of not having producers. And restriction.  They made 3 salads potato pasta and sorghum (Carla's) lol. All looked yummy. I was there for the 3 hosts. Seeing them together makes me miss and appreciate what a great show The Chew was.

The video is still up on Clinton's and Carla's Facebook,  Michael's Instagram. 

Edited by Coffeewinewater
  • Love 3

I watched it, too (and saved it to my FB feed so I can watch it again). It was terrific seeing them all together. They have such easy chemistry and are just fun to watch. It made me really miss the show but I still loved to see it.

• Love 3
(edited)

Well, at least Clinton and Michael are working together tomorrow for an episode of Beat Bobby Flay, so that's something.    I can picture more situations coming up on Food Network in the future where at least 2 out of the 3 of them could be paired up on a show.   Whether or not it would be an actual series for them is another story, but I can easily see a situation where Clinton and Carla end up on the same episode of one of Food Network's shows together.

In fact,  Clinton said he going to be on the Haunted Gingerbread Showdown for Food Network, and Carla is  going to be on the Halloween Baking Championship show again.    So they're each making the Halloween-themed rounds on the network.   

The good thing is that all 3 of them are in the Food Network family now, so there could be more chances to work together in some way, on various shows.

Clinton also hinted at a show he is probably going to do (it's in negotiations now), which he can't announce yet -- he said it's something "in the home space."  So that implies design, maybe?   A makeover/decorating show?    Perhaps a show on HGTV?   Hmm...

And Carla is putting together a sizzle reel because she is hoping to do a particular show as well.  Maybe she will get her own cooking & baking show on Food Network?

Edited by TVFan17
clarification
  • Love 2
(edited)

Clinton even managed to mention Jamie Lee Curtis when they were talking about how they had very few bad guests on The Chew, which was hilarious!  

And when Michael was in the middle of telling a story about everyone on The Chew getting sick from a bad egg used in an eggnog segment, he actually mentioned "Batali."   Now if this conversation had been taking place on the old ABC show, he wouldn't have been allowed to mention Batali at all.

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 3
On 1/6/2019 at 7:04 PM, jcbrown said:

I haven't forgiven Jamie Lee Curtis for being such a PITA with Clinton on the show

On 5/21/2019 at 7:56 PM, TVFan17 said:

Clinton even managed to mention Jamie Lee Curtis when they were talking about how they had very few bad guests on The Chew, which was hilarious! 

What's the scoop here?  I missed it apparently...

• Love 1
1 hour ago, roughing it said:

What's the scoop here?  I missed it apparently...

Jamie Lee Curtis was on to promote a movie.  They were going to make a quick bread.  Clinton was the interviewer and making the bread. 

IMO, it was a clash of styles.  One of Clinton's good qualities is that I think he's controlled and likes to keep things moving.  It's why he was the moderator most of the time. Jamie Lee was the opposite of that.  She's flighty.  Sarcastic. Very off the cuff and didn't really care whether the bread was made or not.

Clinton kept trying to make bread.  Jamie Lee kept talking about whatever came to her mind.  Clinton was visibly irritated and instead of making the bread without her help, he didn't. He kept trying to regain control of the interview. The next day he made the bread at the beginning of the episode by "popular demand." 

I actually thought she was funny and enjoyed the interview.  I think Clinton was the wrong person to interview her.  One thing Mario did well was he knew how to go with the guest's flow.  If it had been him interviewing Jamie, he would have just made the bread and given a brief synopsis at the end before serving it.  Especially with something like quick bread.  That's just a few ingredients dumped together. It isn't complicated.

But I know not everyone saw it the same way.

• Love 3

I do think it is funny that Clinton holds such a grudge. Not surprising after reading his book--which is hilarious and I completely recommend it. I'm looking forward to seeing him on Chopped Junior next month.

• Love 3

It's hard to believe that it was all the way back in September 2015 when that Jamie Lee Curtis appearance happened.   Time really flies.   For some reason, it seemed like it was maybe September 2016.  

In any case, I have not watched that JLC segment since it aired, and I was curious to see it again.  I wanted to watch it to see if I perceived it or interpreted it any differently now, several years later, than when I first watched it.  Like Irlandesa, when it first aired I thought it was entertaining -- but in an awkward way, because Clinton didn't know how to deal with JLC's energy and personality.   I don't know if I would feel exactly the same now, or if my opinion would change.

At a super-quick glance, without putting any time into searching, I couldn't find a video of that episode.   It could be buried somewhere on The Chew's YouTube channel and I overlooked it, but I did not spot it right off the bat.

I haven't but  it looks nice from what I found online, after I saw your post. Have a great time, Aileen. Report back!

Did anyone else see Daphne Oz on last week's MasterChef? She was a guest and challenged the contestants to make a one-pot meal in a cast iron skillet. She made some chicken and biscuit thing I think. There were definitely biscuits, because I wondered if she picked up that idea from Carla.

The show taped a while back, so she  was still pregnant and looked very pretty.

• Love 3
On 11/9/2019 at 11:52 AM, NotChristine said:

I never got around to commenting on this when it was posted in November. 

But this doesn't shock me.  It was very apparent that they were testing the waters to gauge audience reaction when Daphne and her co-hosts were doing the 30-minute show-within-a-show on her dad's series.  I fully expected that if that 30-minute segment every week was popular enough, they'd turn it into a separate series.

People want that kind of constant, comforting content -- with multiple hosts focusing on cooking and lifestyle-related things, home-related things, health, seasonal meals and entertaining, etc.  Even Hallmark Channel's 2-hour daily Home & Family is still on the air, after various cast shake-ups and ratings dipping here and there.   Isn't Rachael Ray's show still on somewhere?  The Kitchen is still on Food Network every week, and it's been on for something crazy like 6 years and 23 seasons!!! 

That is why I was certain that The Chew (a show with a much larger audience than Home & Family) would have had a new life on another network or in syndication (with a different title, but same existing hosts, maybe a couple of new hosts added in, and same general concept), and I really wonder why it didn't happen.  Did other networks/studios just not make an offer to bring Clinton, Carla and Michael onto a new series?  Or did they offer and Clinton, Carla and Michael turned them down?

There is obviously a market for these kinds of shows. 

Regardless of whatever nonsense ABC was spewing, I don't think -- and never thought -- the main reason they dropped The Chew was because of a decline in ratings.  Even the hosts seemed surprised at being cancelled, leading me to believe that the ABC execs were saying positive things and giving them words of encouragement behind the scenes -- and then blindsiding them with the cancellation.  They could have found ways to make The Chew work, even on a reduced schedule.  So either ABC's agenda was solely to get that Michael Strahan show on the air and let it take center stage, or they wanted to separate themselves from any possible association with Mario Batali's situation, or were afraid of new Batali accusations coming to light that might make ABC look bad, or The Chew's hosts wanted too much money to sign a new contract, or something like that.  Whatever the case, they had other reasons for dumping The Chew beyond just ratings.

I'm pretty sure that if Daphne devoted one episode of her new series to having Carla, Clinton and Michael as her co-hosts, it would be a big hit.  But that probably won't happen for a while because they have to get the regular hosts established with the audience first.

Edited by TVFan17