Type keyword(s) to search

The Chew - General Discussion

Lola16
  • Start Topic

15 minutes ago, aquarian1 said:

??  What something said or announced on today's show? (or any show this week, really, I'm behind).

All this week they are having the cohost pick the topic of the show, today was Daphne's turn and at the beginning they said she had to unexpectedly go to Chicago for a family matter and that they were sending love or good thoughts to her family matter.

She also wasn't their yesterday and typically Tuesday and Wednesday's shows air the week they tape unlike Monday and Friday which are always prerecorded. 

• Love 2
43 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

Color me terrible but I did not like Carla's Oscar dress. I get that she has no boobs so thus may be able to wear a dress with a giant chest ruffle but I did not think it did anything for her.

I liked the other two dresses she modeled on the show more. 

• Love 2
On 2/27/2017 at 7:10 PM, jcbrown said:

Color me terrible but I did not like Carla's Oscar dress. I get that she has no boobs so thus may be able to wear a dress with a giant chest ruffle but I did not think it did anything for her.

I also really didn't like her dress. I don't think her hair was flattering either; she usually looks much better!

I thought Daphne was wearing a pajama top. My husband walked through and asked if this was an old one or if she was pregnant again.

• Love 1

Me too.  What I don't love is that they've really amped up the studio audience responses so now they're "oohing" and "aahing" and clapping like mad for no apparent reason.  So much so that it throws the hosts off their spiels.  Calm down, warm-up guy!

• Love 2
Just now, Qoass said:

Me too.  What I don't love is that they've really amped up the studio audience responses so now they're "oohing" and "aahing" and clapping like mad for no apparent reason.  So much so that it throws the hosts off their spiels.  Calm down, warm-up guy!

I agree. I think the last two seasons or so have also been over-produced. My favorite parts of the show are unscripted host-chat and the cooking segments. I like it better, the less they try. I have no behind-the-scenes basis for saying this, but I feel like Mario gets really annoyed by the overly scripted stuff. 

• Love 2

The other day Clinton was answering a question about where he would go in NYC for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  I remember he said Bubby's for dinner, but can't remember what he said for dinner.  Does anyone remember this?

59 minutes ago, morgan said:

The other day Clinton was answering a question about where he would go in NYC for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  I remember he said Bubby's for dinner, but can't remember what he said for dinner.  Does anyone remember this?

Bubby's. ;) (Look up.)

This is like the second time I've heard of DO.  On one hand, I wish I had thought of it.  So many people are obsessed with cookie dough.  On the other hand, those servings are huge.  I can do a tablespoon of dough but a scoop?  I'd be sick.

2 hours ago, morgan said:

Morgan, the show has been preempted for me a lot, so I don't always watch live. I try to catch up on my DVR, but if there were news preemptions, I then watch on demand. I'm just now watching the, "Ultimate Spring Checklist" episode. Clinton just answered the question for real: He'd stay in Tribeca for breakfast, probably Bubby's, maybe the Odeon (sp?) for lunch, and dinner at Le Bernadin (sp?). 

59 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

This is like the second time I've heard of DO.  On one hand, I wish I had thought of it.  So many people are obsessed with cookie dough.  On the other hand, those servings are huge.  I can do a tablespoon of dough but a scoop?  I'd be sick.

I think the first time I heard of DO was on The Chew w/in the last month. I remember Daphne flipping for the idea. I don't think I could eat that much uncooked dough, either. Well, I could in the moment, but then I'd pay. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, aquarian1 said:

I can easily eat 1-2 cookie's worth of raw cookie dough.  I know because I do that every time I make cookies.  :)

Aquarian1, have you seen the episode yet? These were like ice cream scoops or a cupcake's worth of dough. I would probably eat it, and then regret it. 

• Love 1

I just finished watching it.  Eat half, bring half home to bake.  Hee.  Or really, knowing myself, eat it all with a Diet Dr Pepper.   (I have no idea why but baking cookies, and therefore cookie dough, became associated with Diet Dr Pepper for me.  Not milk, not Coke, not water. I'm not going to think too hard about this though.)  I would probably have a huge drink of water when I got home, too, and a BIG salad for dinner.

• Love 1

The Chew was basically background noise for me today, because I was busy. Did they mention if DO uses pasteurized eggs or anything? I mean granted, I will eat the cookie dough I make at home, but I can't sue myself if I contract Salmonella. 

That's funny about the Diet Dr. Pepper. I'm a milk and cookies girl, but about five years back, developed lactose intolerance and got off milk for a few years (and hence the cookies, and then lost a lot of weight without trying, which yay...). I've recently starting using Lactaid milk and/or buying the tablets, and have started to reincorporate milk into my diet, but am trying not make cookies my fifth food group (again). 

In the "Ultimate Spring Checklist" episode from the other day, it was funny to see both Mario and Daphne missing. I can't remember only seeing three hosts, without a guest co-host. Again, I was doing other things while watching. Was it due to the storm, or what, that they were down to only Carla, Clinton, and Michael?

10 minutes ago, General Days said:

The Chew was basically background noise for me today, because I was busy. Did they mention if DO uses pasteurized eggs or anything? I mean granted, I will eat the cookie dough I make at home, but I can't sue myself if I contract Salmonella. 

I think she mentioned they used pasteurized egg whites. 

I forgot to mention that the thing they showed her cooking--the cookie with sprinkles or hazelnut spread in the middle and topped with cookie dough buttercream sent me into sugar shock.  I think there's something about cookies but all of that seemed like sweet on sweet on sweet with nothing to offset it. 

12 minutes ago, General Days said:

In the "Ultimate Spring Checklist" episode from the other day, it was funny to see both Mario and Daphne missing. I can't remember only seeing three hosts, without a guest co-host. Again, I was doing other things while watching. Was it due to the storm, or what, that they were down to only Carla, Clinton, and Michael?

I think it's clear some of the hosts have modified schedules.  They never mentioned if there was supposed to be a co-host or not.  And they don't really mention any longer when Daphne or Mario aren't there.  I think Carla, Clinton and maybe Michael are the only true full timers.  I think Mario has more time off built into his schedule and I get the sense that Daphne is only half time. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Irlandesa said:

I think she mentioned they used pasteurized egg whites. 

I forgot to mention that the thing they showed her cooking--the cookie with sprinkles or hazelnut spread in the middle and topped with cookie dough buttercream sent me into sugar shock.  I think there's something about cookies but all of that seemed like sweet on sweet on sweet with nothing to offset it. 

I think it's clear some of the hosts have modified schedules.  They never mentioned if there was supposed to be a co-host or not.  And they don't really mention any longer when Daphne or Mario aren't there.  I think Carla, Clinton and maybe Michael are the only true full timers.  I think Mario has more time off built into his schedule and I get the sense that Daphne is only half time. 

Yeah, some of those combos were sweet enough to hurt my teeth. Also, while I enjoy a chocolate with hazelnuts (think Ferrero Rocher), I loathe hazelnut spread. I know this will make me an outcast to most foodies, but the way some people feel about cilantro is how I feel about Nutella. I'm completely averse to it. 

Mario, to me, seems to have the most flexible schedule, which makes sense, as he's probably the most celebrated cast member. He seems to be absent the most. Since Daphne's second pregnancy and birth, she has been gone more, but her father-in-law also recently passed, so I haven't been able to work out if she's down to part-time, or if it was just a confluence of events. Last year though, I recall Clinton took time off to finish his book. It seems Michael and Carla are the true work horses. 

I checked IMDb.com to try to figure out which hosts have appeared the most/least, but it looks to me like they're all mostly credited for every episode, even if they don't appear, and so that's what's driving the IMDb episode count. Daphne does have a slightly smaller count, but I can't believe it's accurate, given her two maternity leaves.

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, General Days said:

Yeah, some of those combos were sweet enough to hurt my teeth. Also, while I enjoy a chocolate with hazelnuts (think Ferrero Rocher), I loathe hazelnut spread. I know this will make me an outcast to most foodies, but the way some people feel about cilantro is how I feel about Nutella. I'm completely averse to it. 

You are my people.  I HATE Nutella or any other chocolate hazelnut spread variety. I did not understand why everyone went so crazy for it.  (But Ferrero Rocher? Yum.)

Since Daphne's second pregnancy and birth, she has been gone more, but her father-in-law also recently passed, so I haven't been able to work out if she's down to part-time

Because of the number of the hosts, I think they all have the freedom to take time off if they need it. The reason I feel like Daphne has been off more lately is because she was only on a few episodes this week.  And only two days last week.  So we'll see. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, morgan said:

Le Bernardin  for dinner.

Mario is in Michigan this week.

• Love 2

I wish there was a general Food Network thread because on yesterday's show they were talking about somebody who put their cat on Instagram or Pinterest or something posing with food calling it a chef.  Mario said that you can't stick a chef's hat on somebody and call it a chef to which Michael responded that it would have its own Food Network show in no time.  Snerk.

• Love 1

I actually do miss Mario when he is not there, I don't miss Daphne though I do like her. They pretaped a lot this year and Daphne was on a few mini book tours and then her father in law died so she was in Chicago but even with all of those things she has been gone a crazy amount.

Eta: I do like that they have stopped bringing in guest and will just do a panel with three hosts because guest hosts tend to throw off the chemistry.

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

I actually do miss Mario when he is not there, I don't miss Daphne though I do like her. They pretaped a lot this year and Daphne was on a few mini book tours and then her father in law died so she was in Chicago but even with all of those things she has been gone a crazy amount.

Eta: I do like that they have stopped bringing in guest and will just do a panel with three hosts because guest hosts tend to throw off the chemistry.

Yes,  I'm so glad they stopped with the guest hosts. 

Remember when Curtis Stone was named permanent guest host, then,  was almost never on the show again,  haha. 

Edited by imjagain
  • Love 3

I wonder if Daphne has renegotiated her contract to work part time as some new mothers do.  This show clearly has more flexibility for its hosts with Clinton, Michael and Carla doing full time while Mario seems to be at .75 time and Daphne at .5.

I like Daphne but I don't mind when it's just the three or four of them.

• Love 2

I guess the reason for all the crappy gifts they have been giving out to celebrate guests lately was because they blew the budget on getting Aziz the prosciutto de parma!

Wendi didn't even get a crappy gift!

• Love 2

Congratulations to Daphne and her husband. 

Pregnancy agrees with Daphne, she looked amazing! Shes a beautiful woman but she really looked glowing. 

I love that her co  hosts all seem so excited for her. 

I want that fish sandwiche Mario made my mouth was watering! I loved the idea of the potato buds I wished they would have shown more of that fish. 

Definitely making Michael's rice. 

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, Ciarrai said:

With how little Daphne has been on the show this season, I'd hazard a guess that she won't return after this third baby.

I was wondering about this. I know her absences have been explained, but she really was gone a lot this season. She will have her hands full.  I will be surprised if she is back after the new baby. Or this is her schedule, only once a week . 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, FortKnox said:

Well on today's show Daphne announced she was pregnant again with a girl. Damn girl show down.

I don't remember when or where but I do recall Daphne saying that she wanted to have like seven kids or something.  Now, it's one thing to say you want seven kids and another to do it but there's little time to dawdle if that's what she wants.  And really, her first two are over 18 months apart.  The difference between the second and third will be over two years.  That's not unreasonable. 

In fact, because she said that, I've probably suspected she was pregnant since she came back from her last maternity leave.  So I wasn't surprised because I felt I was right.  Even though I've actually been wrong for about a year. 

I do wonder what her schedule will look like after her third.  She has seemed to only do about one or two episodes a week for a while now.  Some were due to family issues but others seem unexplained.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

That's not unreasonable. 

In fact, because she said that, I've probably suspected she was pregnant since she came back from her last maternity leave.  So I wasn't surprised because I felt I was right.  Even though I've actually been wrong for about a year. 

To be fair many people have thought she was pregnant since the first season! It's the most Googled question about her. 

• Love 2

I would still like to see them replace her.  She rarely does recipes even when she is there.  They don't have her playing"password" maybe because she is too competitive.  I thought Ming Tsai would be a good chef to have on with a different view point but I think they need another woman.  Gail from Top Chef (can't remember name at this exact moment, D'oh) always seems pleasant.

• Love 1

I probably should have written permanently replace her.  I do think all the hosts have a good relationship but someone with more to offer could also have a good relationship. Oh boy my phone is acting wacky

• Love 2
(edited)

I do actually like Daphne but, I don't think I'd care if she left. As far as a new co-host... I don't know, good chemistry is hard to find.  

Carla, Michael and Clinton really do crack me up together. I like Mario as well but I have a feeling with summer, it's going to those mostly. 

A couple weeks ago Clinton or Michael laughed that when it's just the 3 of them hosting, it's like,  3 12 years old  hosting lol. 

Edited by imjagain
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, imjagain said:

I like Mario as well but I have a feeling with summer, it's going to those mostly. 

I think in a week or two it's going to be reruns for the rest of the summer. Sometimes they repackage them into clip shows. 

• Love 1