Type keyword(s) to search

The Chew - General Discussion

Lola16
  • Start Topic

I don't watch KUWTK and anything I know about the Kardashians I hear from Wendy Williams, lol, so who knows if it's true.

I had it on while I was cleaning out closets. So I was only half listening, Kris Jenner made phyllo packets. I don't know what she put in them, cheese for sure but I missed the rest. I love phyllo packets I make them every holiday season you can put anything in them.

I'm loving Clinton's Halloween decorations. The door did look like Michael Symon lol.

ETA: I found it odd that she referred to her children by their full name. Lol first and last, it made laugh because it seemed odd.

Edited by imjagain
  • Love 1

I'm really having a problem with Carla these days. And this is my fav daytime show.

She has a fun reputation for being frugal on the show. Yet is on Kickstarter to raise money (250K) for a restaurant. And is worth 2.5M herself. It seems to me she has other means of raising money and the Kickstarters is for those with a great idea just starting out.

But I do notice they aren't talking about it anymore on the show.

Too bad Gene Simmons came out too early and ruined them talking about it after ward.

At first, I thought Simmons was dressed too early for Halloween.  Unfortunately he always looks that way.  To quote Larry David:  “You know who wears sunglasses inside? Blind people and assholes.”

Edited by pandora spocks
  • Love 7

Too bad Gene Simmons came out too early and ruined them talking about it after ward.

At first, I thought Simmons was dressed too early for Halloween.  Unfortunately he always looks that way.  To quote Larry David:  “You know who wears sunglasses inside? Blind people and assholes.”

I agree. I was really looking forward to hearing them talk about the haunted house segment. I wanted them to give Clinton flack for shoving Carla in front of him a few times (not that I would not have done the same thing...).  

Gene Simmons really ruined the energy of the show. He is so full of himself. I was really not interested in hearing him condescend to women when he was talking about his book.  I noticed Clinton kept his distance, too, which I would also do as Simmons' politics and my own are pretty much diametrically opposed. And what is up with that straw he has for hair?

Edited by jcbrown
  • Love 4

I had to FF Gene. I (and I think some of the women at the tasting table) gave him serious side-eye when he started talking about women deciding what their husbands buy. I can buy my own things. Or we can decide what to buy together. Ugh.

Clinton and the gang decorating pumpkins was fun. I liked the confetti and mum one. Mumkin? Mumpkin? I actually might try the confetti one. I still have time. I just need the pumpkin and the confetti and the modge podge.  

• Love 4

That creepy Gene Simmons ruined the part I was looking forward. Watching C&C go through the haunted house was hysterical, but I wanted to hear them laugh and talk about it. I just can't with GS he is gross he makes me itch! I had to ff too.

Edited by imjagain
  • Love 3

Hopefully the Chew will show an encore of the haunted house on the Halloween episode and Carla and Clinton can actually get to talk about it.  I would gladly watch it again.  I went to the web site to save the Pumpkin lasagna recipe.  The page is very poorly edited.  Instruction #1 says: Microwave small.  Instruction #2 says:  pumpkin. You think ABC would be a little more professional.  

• Love 3

I cannot stand Gene Simmons. I don't like to look at him and I can't stand the way he talks. His segment was a huge FAIL, beginning with interruption Carla and Clinton's talk about the haunted house. I really wanted their reactions after they viewed the video. It is possible that he was told to go out (mistakenly) by a staffer, but as arrogant as GS is, he probably just decided "Enough about them. Now it's about ME." Hate.

• Love 3

The page is very poorly edited.  Instruction #1 says: Microwave small.  Instruction #2 says:  pumpkin. You think ABC would be a little more professional.

Agreed--the recipes are atrociously edited. Also, they use initial caps on all the nouns. We're not speaking German! I hate the editing of that site and always end up copying recipes, pasting them into Word, and copyediting them myself. I may have issues but at least I have recipes that don't annoy me. :-)

• Love 2

Does anyone know how long after the initial airing the episodes are loaded on the website? My stupid ABC channel preempted the Halloween episode for the coverage of the parade to celebrate the Giants' win. I am sad.

• Love 2

Each host drew another host and chose the costume they had to wear.

Clinton was Bad Sandy from Grease (chosen by Carla); Carla was Rick James (chosen by Michael); Mario was the Cheshire Cat (chosen by Daphne); Daphne was Brett Michaels (chosen by Clinton) and Michael was Kim Kardashian (chosen by Mario).

• Love 1

Yikes! Slightly awkward moment was when Michael (as Kim), held up the chocolate coated banana and said that he (Kim) was sweating at the sight of it--theoretically alluding to Kim's relationships with black men. They all laughed uncomfortably, but Daphne said he'd gone too far. I had to rewind to make sure I'd interpreted correctly. Aawkward!

Edited by zenme

Ugh, it appears they are going to have a Thanksgiving theme every day until the 27th.  I enjoyed Halloween week but a whole month for turkey is just too much for me.

Oh no. I've only been catching the show on and off but I hate when they get into long-term themes, and I'm not even sure it's such a good idea for ratings. I don't do a big Thanksgiving anymore so even the few shows I've seen have been a bore for me. I'd imagine others must tire of a month of shows devoted to one topic, even folks who do a full Thanksgiving blow-out. Why not do a Thanksgiving tip per day inserted into shows with other themes? I feel similarly about week after week of barbecue shows when summer is around the corner. 

Have they ever done a week where each day is devoted to a different ethnic cuisine? (And I don't mean Italian, Greek, or Southern, which we get all the time.) How about a week devoted to fish? Vegetarian dishes? Maybe a week with each day devoted to a different course?

Edited by designing1
  • Love 1

I can see having a theme for each individual show to give a sense of cohesion. On the other hand, they risk alienating viewers who have no interest in that theme -- all the more reason to not feature the same theme for a week, much less a month.

Do they even have a theme for each and every show? I haven't been able to watch regularly in quite a long time.

I just watched today's show, has Brooke Shields always been "wacky"?

I saw her on The View and she seemed a little odd but then today on The Chew seemed frantic. Is this new or has she always been like this? I have seen her on shows over the years and I have never noticed this. Not that I pay much attention to her, but I guess I always thought she came off very together and poised.

Edited by imjagain

I've been half watching these episodes as background noise because I stopped caring about Thanksgiving recipes about a week and a half ago.

But....I thought that Clinton went to the worlds nicest Dollar Store until I found out it wasn't a Dollar Store. Don't false advertise. It was essentially a craft store. I loves me a Dollar Store so that was a bit of a let down. The wreath he made with the ribbon was beautiful.

I was surprised about how well I like Katherine Heigl. I don't know if she was on her best behavior or people are wrong when they say she's difficult to work with but she came off really well.  

Last week (I think-all Thanksgiving all the time blends dates together) a viewer tweeted in to ask if paper plates were okay for Thanksgiving dinner and I was shocked almost all of them answered no. I think Michael was adamant that it's Thanksgiving so you have to break out the good stuff. I think Daphne was the only one that made a small case for paper. We always use paper.

• Love 1

Carla was particularly shrill yesterday. She would not even let Mario articulate his thoughts on eating Thanksgiving with friends and nuclear family, rather than extended family. She doesn't always bug me, but sometimes I wish she would just dial it down a notch or twelve. It took me ten minutes into the show last week that did not include her to miss her.

• Love 1

I'm enjoying them but the Christmas episodes have just felt so rushed--like they are shoving too much content into each one. I don't know why the pacing is suddenly so off. And Gordon, stop trying to make Paula Dean happen again. Her 15 minutes are up and she has only herself to blame for that. Not interested in giving any of my fun Chew time to a racist, sexist has-been.

• Love 4

I don't always get to watch the show at 1pm and catch up later on OnDemand or on Hulu.  So when it airs, it's on for a full hour, but when you see the episode length on other platforms, they're generally around 35 minutes, a good five minutes short on content than most "hour" long shows.  I think that makes them feel more rushed.

I realized this week who Clinton reminds me of as a host: Kermit the Frog when he hosted the Muppet Show. I mean that as a compliment. I think part of why I find Clinton so good as a host is because he comes across so real and enthusiastic. (Or not, as when he lost the food pyramid game yesterday.)

• Love 3

The only difference I'd make is to make the cheese sauce separately and not mix it with all the pasta at once.  It becomes really dry on Day 2 that way.  So I'd put the cheese sauce in the fridge and add to the pasta separately for each serving unless  you're serving quite a few people.

Are this week's episode's prerecorded?  The reason I ask is that Carla announced with much fanfare a couple of weeks ago that she was going to stop dyeing her hair and let it go grey.  Up until last week you could see that happening.  Now this week her hair is jet-black.  Perhaps she just changed her mind when she saw the results?

• Love 1

Yeah, they had to be pre recorded. Everyone was super tan and Carla's non grey hair stood out to me too. One episode I noticed the audience members playing some game were wearing summer type outfits.

Edited by imjagain