Type keyword(s) to search

The Chew - General Discussion

Lola16
  • Start Topic

I was annoyed today. Carla made some chicken tenders with a dipping sauce. She use Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing in both, but I can believe how ofter Hidden Valley was mentioned.

I hate the product placement.  As if any of them use prepackaged chemical laden crap like that.  They aren't Sandra Lee!

• Love 1

Lillybee, I agree - the product placement was terribly intrusive during that presentation today.  I really did think they looked tasty, but if I make them, I'm going to rebel and use some no-name ranch dressing.

Imjagain, around the time Daphne gave birth, a story on Zap2it said she was expected back at the end of April.  

I kind of like Clinton's scraggy facial hair.  He wears it very well!

Thanks chattygal, yeah I just watched a few shows, I was behind on a few and Daphne said she will be back April 23rd.

I also like Clinton's scruff. I think he looks handsome.

• Love 1

A place to discuss particular episodes, arcs and moments from the show's run. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for character topics and other places for show-related talk.

I like Daphne too, but what was up with the BS about drinking coffee with melted butter in it for breakfast every morning helping you lose weight? What nonsense! Her explanation of that is the fat your body is used to is a crock! Her father got called  before Congress in a hearing today and got roundly scolded for his promotion of junk science on his show, admitting that a lot of the things he says have no scientific backing. Shame on all of you.

• Love 2

I  remember reading that some people who follow the Paleo diet put butter in their coffee.

I never watched Dr. Oz's show but my mother did and she drove me crazy always telling me about some dumb product he was recommending. It was one thing after another to the point of riduclousness. She finally quit watching it after I repeatedly told her that he seemed to turn into a real snake oil salesman.

Info on today's hearing:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/dr-oz-fields-senate-questions-weight-loss-items-article-1.1833301

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/17/health/senate-grills-dr-oz/

• Love 1

Are this weeks episodes reruns or first run?  My DVR said they are new  but they were filmed so far last year.  Clinton doesn't even have a beard.  Also, today was a summer food show, but the hosts and audience all wore winter  clothing.  Did they film a million episodes ahead of time to show when they are off?

(edited)

Any clues on when they will resume new shows?

I love this show.

Yeah I love it too.

Looks like all next weeks shows are repeats. OAD are from March.

I'm missing new shows. I'm surprised we have been getting so many repeats.

Edited by imjagain

I'm actually glad they haven't aired anything new recently.  I had a 16 episode backlog on my DVR.  I used to record and then watch when I got home for the day or in the morning before I left for work.  I got busy enough, out late enough so not getting up early enough that I just couldn't watch.  I was beginning to think I'd just have to delete a bunch w/o watching to free up space on the DVR, and then they stopped accruing.  That said, I will get through some today and hopefully be able to catch up next week.  I hope they are back soon.  

I'm watching the burger episode now, with Yvette Nicole Brown and Curtis Stone as guest hosts.  Why do they keep bringing her back?  She's better than some of the other non-chef hosts, but how about some chef-y or at least foodie type guest hosts (in addition to Curtis) when they need it.  In other news, the burgers look really good.  I love Michael Simon's trick of the thumb dent in the burger (I know he's presented that before).  I always hated when my burgers would get so round in the middle.  I've been doing that ever since I first saw him do that how ever long ago that was.

• Love 1

You don't suppose they get all of July off, do you? I read that Mario was planning to spend 64 days in Michigan this summer and wondered how that was possible. I am beginning to understand now. I miss the new episodes, too!

(edited)

You don't suppose they get all of July off, do you? I read that Mario was planning to spend 64 days in Michigan this summer and wondered how that was possible. I am beginning to understand now. I miss the new episodes, too!

Yeah, most def got all July off. I think we got a lot more pre taped shows last summer. At least till August. Then it was repeats.

I wonder if this August will bring mostly pre taped shows till the new season starts.

I'm sure they all wanted in on that Mario vacation time :)

Edited by imjagain
  • Love 1

Yep, I was really hoping for new shows starting this week but no, it's reruns again. And recent reruns, at that. I really miss getting to play The Chew while I work out each night!

• Love 1

I really do miss them, it's honestly my favorite show on television, but I'm glad the hosts are getting a vacation. They're great at delivering new episodes throughout the year, we don't really get repeats unless there's a holiday.

Wish they'd repeat some of the older episodes though, I only started watching Spring of last year and feel like there's a lot I missed.

• Love 4

I haven't been watching any of the repeats.  However, I agree, repeats from the first season would be great.  Maybe not the first half of the first season when things were still kind of a mess, but more from after they settled down and found their groove.  Or even in their 2nd season.  

• Love 1

Does anyone know when new episodes will return? I miss coming home from work and having it on my DVR. Thanks!

My DVR is saying September 2 is a new episode. Yay! I'm thrilled about this.

I think I need a life (:

• Love 1

The new promos they're showing during the current reruns are saying new episodes begin September 8.

Really? I looked at the episode starting on the 2nd and they all say original are date 2nd 3rd ect.

Maybe the ones on the week of the 2nd are ones they taped before they left for vacation. And the new season starts on the 8th.

Either way, new episodes I haven't seen.

Thanks for the heads up.

Really? I looked at the episode starting on the 2nd and they all say original are date 2nd 3rd ect.

Maybe the ones on the week of the 2nd are ones they taped before they left for vacation. And the new season starts on the 8th.

Either way, new episodes I haven't seen.

Thanks for the heads up.

I hope you're right and they have previously taped shows that we haven't seen on the 2nd. I'm tired of the repeats. At least they could show older ones!

Edited to add - My DVR is now listing the Sept. 2nd. shows as new also! I don't want to get too excited yet, but, YAY!

Edited by justspiffy
  • Love 1

The last few episodes before their summer break also had them which when I assume these episodes were filmed because even though they are "new" they clearly were filmed awhile ago (seriously, I imagine on Monday or Tuesday whichever the first actual new episode is filmed Daphne will be down at least 10-15lbs of baby weight). 

I think the table arrangement is so Clinton can see past Carla's hair.  Between her height and sometimes big-ish hair, he often commented on how hard it was to see past her.  In the middle, she's at the outmost part of the curve and everyone can see everyone.  I've seen Clinton and Carla sitting next to each other in other segments.

Glad the show is back. I just enjoy the interaction between all of the hosts.

I loved Michael Symon's joke about "how little you have to know about cooking to have a cooking show."

I was catching up on The Chew and few other shows that I recorded. I hear the joke then, tune into The Pioneer woman, as she makes Velveeta and shells. I kid you not.

• Love 4
Well, I called this as soon as I saw Nancy Fuller on  this week - I figured Gordon Elliott would trot out Paula Deen to promote her new "network". Is that what she was doing? As soon as I saw her I changed the channel.

I noticed that Pauler made a big point of giving Carla a big ole hug.  I'm not a big Daphne fan but did she have to browbeat her for cutting the jalapenos wrong?  And of course, Pauler was there to plug her "network." 

Edited by pandora spocks

I agree.  Her sons looked especially embarrassed when she gave TMI about her son (forgot which one) burning his "pee pee" after handling jalapenos and going to the bathroom.

Good grief. This woman is simply clueless, and just crass. My husband is from Alabama (I grew up in Pennsylvania), and I was so impressed when I met his mother. She was the most polite, delightful, make you feel at home woman I had ever met. Like the antithesis to Paula, who, IMO, is nothing like southern most women I have met. Just an embarrassment to the South.

• Love 2

It's horrible to see what Paula has become. I was a huge fan of hers back in the beginning, when she was cooking in Gordon's kitchen and stepping over and around Gertie the dog. She made cooking relatable to me as I really was never much of a cook  I confess that Rachael Ray and Paula gave me courage, as did Emeril. My husband and I even made a special trip to Savannah to eat at Lady and Sons, and it was good. But, lordy. lordy, she became unbearable and, even after getting knocked down a bit, she's still unbearable. She's shrill, bats those baby blues, and thinks she's being real subtle with her off color remarks. I'm as foul as they come with language and jokes, but it's for a select few. No, Paula. I will not subscribe to your digital network so that I can hear and see you be even more foul.  Time to retire, cookie. Let the boys carry on.

• Love 4

I think even the Chew crew was embarrassed for Paula. I know I was. I know she had become over the top, the longer she was on TV, but, holy fried Mac and cheese, she was obnoxious.

Not only did she make a big deal about Daphne cutting the peppers wrong. She said as she made her way over to Carla, that she (Paula) better check, to make sure Carla didn't mess them up.

Idk, she just seemed rude and even Michael said something, I can't remember exactly what he said but, something like "I guess I'm not suppose to talk any more." It did feel like he thought she was being rude.

Paula used to come on the show and at least "acted" sweet to the host. Not this time.

Edited by imjagain
  • Love 3

I am way behind again and am starting to catch up now.  I am watching the Steve Harvey episode.  Why is he giving relationship advise to random audience members (who were pulled to sit at the counter with them)?  Is he a life coach now or something?

Also, based on recent comments here, I am not looking forward to the Paula Deen episode.  Good thing I have something like 12 more episodes to get through before I get to her.  And that's not going to happen today, obviously.

• Love 1

I am way behind again and am starting to catch up now. I am watching the Steve Harvey episode. Why is he giving relationship advise to random audience members (who were pulled to sit at the counter with them)? Is he a life coach now or something?

Also, based on recent comments here, I am not looking forward to the Paula Deen episode. Good thing I have something like 12 more episodes to get through before I get to her. And that's not going to happen today, obviously.

Yeah, I was also confused by Steve Harvey. I thought, why is giving relationship advise? I like him, hope this life/relationship guru thing he has going on doesn't blow up on him.
  • Love 1

I just watched the episode with Paula Dean and sons. WOW. She was a hot mess. Overly animated, a little disconnected and not enjoyable to watch. Not sure if she was too nervous order meds were off, but she was a little too much. I do think she and the boys had it all planned to discuss his jalapeño hands and bathroom incident , so his embarrassment was totally a put on.

I watched Paula Dean shows in the early days and enjoyed them, but she became a little full of herself and I also tired of her "sexual innuendo" shtick to get laughs. Her accent on the show today was much stronger than her early shows...how does that happen? I also read the transcripts of depositions during the court case and was surprised at the extent of improprieties by her, her brother and staff. It made her less likeable in my eyes, I find her not very genuine. And a diabetic making fried, cheese stuffed jalapeños, without providing nutritional info or educating on what a reasonable portion size would be, is a wierd recipie choice.

• Love 1

I just watched as much of this as I could stand. Paula is a clueless, classless embarrassment. Awful. Just awful. Please, Gordon, I know you discovered her, but let her 15 minutes end and do not EVER have her on my pleasant show again.

• Love 2

I liked Howard the guest chef from the nonprofit program in DC.  For once The Chew didn't have someone there to plug a new book, movie, or CD.  The best part was Howard knew his way around the kitchen instead of awkwardly holding a spatula in his hand.

• Love 3

I just love the idea if putting the Turkey meatloaf in the butternut squash.

I have to try this.

I also love when the chew spotlights these kinds of programs (DC Central Kitchen) to help people get a second chance on life. It always fills me with hope!

Edited by imjagain
  • Love 2

Did anyone else notice this past week that Carla is no longer sitting next to Clinton? I found it strange.

So Carla is back sitting next to Clinton again.  I like those two together:  they're irrepressible.  Let Mario sit in the middle of the group and be laid back.

Edited by Qoass
  • Love 2