Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E11: Always The Bridesmaid

• Start Topic

I'm also in the minority here because Michelle's was my favorite of the bunch. I also liked Sonjia's. Both needed some fixing but they weren't boring like the others.

I just wish that Lifetime wouldn't show commercials for next week during the later airings of the show that SPOIL THE EPISODE I'M WATCHING. Jeez. I'm sitting here wondering who is leaving between Michelle and Fabio when the commercial clearly shows me no Fabio. I almost threw something at the tv.

• Love 3

Radiochik, I liked Michelle's dress too.  Yes it had a lot of fit problems but I attribute that to the ludicrously short time the designers are given.  Michelle had some really good ideas in that dress:  a beautiful color, an interesting neckline, flowery/feminine detailing on the torso and skirt.  And she was so smart about the photos from the waist up.   Btw, when my sister got married she chose fuchsia cotton a-line dresses with sweetheart necklines for the bridesmaids, and we all looked fantastic.  (We were in our 20s so the odds of looking good in any dress were higher then, but still . . . )

As for Alyssa's penis comment about Michelle's dress, these judges see fricking penises or vaginas everywhere they look.  They can't seem to get through two episodes in a row without discussing someone's genitals or theoretical genitals.

I can't say that I liked Sonjia's dress, but like Michelle's at least it was interesting and had some good, innovative ideas in it.  Unlike the other three dresses.

OTOH, I love Cat Deeley and it was a very pleasant surprise to see her on this show.  I just wish she could have done all the judging and the other 3 had sat silently.

As soon as they said sold "exclusively" at Macy's I knew the jewelry line was junk.

Ha ha I know!  And I loved that they showed Michelle reacting to that news with the tiniest of smirks.  She clearly had the same thought.

Fabio, you are a sweet, talented guy, but it was your time to go.  You just aren't the best of this group.

• Love 2

I stick to saying that the time constraint does not excuse crappy ugly designs...it excuses execution only, for me. But comeon, these designers should have ideas for decent dresses in their heads all the time. None of these were any good. Nothing I would have worn at any age, anywhere. Or wait, maybe thirty years ago.

• Love 2

It is like a freak show and I don't enjoy seeing people try to function that way.

This aspect of the series is becoming more visible and it bothers me. Sonjia's meltdown clearly was based on overwork, no sleep, pressure, etc., as opposed to dramatic theatrics for camera time and attention (lookin' at you Helen). And that sad, fake little wedding on the runway was embarrassing.

The show is starting to feel ugly to me. It just simply isn't about beautiful design anymore. This latest episode was The Marchesa Show. Ugh.

At least they got Alyssa in a pretty hairdo.

• Love 3

Did Alyssa ever have those sextuplets?

I FF'd right over that hideous fake wedding. Couldn't bear to watch a second of it, with those "bridesmaids" who didn't seem to know the bride or each other. They probably recruited some people off the street to play the "family."

I love Dmitri, but that dress was terrible. As were all of the rest of them. At least I knew he was safe because his was actually a well made dress, unlike Michelle's or Fabio's.

What is Helen going to do with a bunch of crappy china? Was the fact that her's was the winning dress make her model the Maid of Honor? Were there even any Groom's men? (I didn't watch long enough to tell) Worst fake wedding ever. Worst episode of PR ever. 

• Love 3

I have never bothered to post anything for any TV show, but I needed to voice my biggest concern/complaint. What did the competitions become a race to create the crappiest clothes ever. The next season instead of a day (which if you say day give them 24 hours at least) it will probably be 8 hours because by all means let's race. I for one watch all of the Project Runways because I enjoy the designers work, not how fast they can put out a design from start to finish. I have  been disappointed a number of times this season of All Stars. I think if they had given them a little more time, we would have seen some great work. Instead we have seen some really shabby clothes. Not entertaining for me. I don't think they should have even had a winner for this episode, as everyone's was sub par. I hope the bride and groom plan a real wedding and find better clothes for the bridesmaids. Oh, and I agree with previously mentioned comment, that it is hard to believe that any of those girls were truly friends/family of anyone related to the wedding. They were acting like models in my opinion as well.  Okay thanks for the opportunity to rant. Love this show, but hating the sub par designs and shabby work. Don't think anyone left has done any outstanding work this season.

• Love 7

Sonjia's meltdown was troubling to me. She's a cheerful, positive woman in general, always ready with a smile, a compliment or simply a display of good humor. To see her break down from pressure, overwork, lack of sleep, etc. was disturbing. I really felt for her and agree that it seemed authentic (which made me feel like a darn voyeur) as opposed to some designers' theatrical crying spells.

I don't think the other designers were heartless towards her. I think some were so shocked by seeing Sonjia of all people fall apart that they didn't know what to do. And Fabio, before suggesting the walk, reached over and touched her arm in a comforting gesture. I think they all like her - and no one wanted to see her go out that way (thank God she didn't) - but really didn't know how to help.

• Love 10

I love Sonjia, too.  And I love how after every designer was just trashed on the runway, and it was her turn, she gave a very short description then was like "I don't know, this is my dress."  Meaning, you're all going to shit on it anyway, let's get this over with.

I'm sorry, but I would think it would be very weird if Dmitry won 2 seasons.  He doesn't deserve it.  I'm in that camp that thinks Fabio should have won 10.  Sigh.  My only hope is Sonjia... 

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4

I laughed so hard when I saw that Zanna was accompanied on her walk-thru with Mr. Marchesa; hmmmm, didn't trust the 80s video extra to give advice on the gorgeous, beautiful Marchesa-inspired gowns, now, did we? 

And if that was a real wedding, I'm Mr. Roarke from Fantasy Island. Smiles, everyone, smiles....

From the preview for next week, it appears that Helen of Cry* provides a full on ugly sob fest that would put even Amber from Parenthood to shame. This, of course, will mean that she stays. Again. 

"Moon Isaac!!!" Hee hee!!

*can't remember who the poster was who came up with this, or I'd give credit where credit is due.

• Love 3

I bet most of these reality shows include breakdowns...PR filmed and showed Sonja's...not sure why. Who really feels the need to see someone so upset?

It is sad that none of these designers seem to have earned to win this season. They have been all over the place. The formula is not working. As much as I hate team challenges, maybe they could be better as far as spreading the stress around a bit and getting input and help on each outfit...though it seldom works out that way.

• Love 1

This season is just so wrong. I have thrown legitimate hissy fits if I get home from work on Fridays and can't download Project Runway for whatever reason. But this season I barely remember when an episode even aired. Heh.

As has been noted, this challenge sucked. They should have called it no-contest with no winner/no loser, or used their ridiculous "design something live on the runway" twist from next week this week and had them re-do the dresses on the runway. BUT wait, they can't, because of the ridiculously lame "wedding" to air, so we wouldn't have had time for that.

When they aired the teaser about a "penis shape", I could have sworn they were talking about Helen's dress. The way the lace lined up in the front created a distinctly phallic shape down the dress. I also completely fail to see how that dress was anything even approaching "flattering"; the lace panels on the sides of the dress made it widen her stunning client. Also, I am suspicious that Helen was assigned the most model-like client in her third "real woman" challenge.

Sonjia's had problems, but it was interesting! And quirkly! Which... look at her client! She had interesting and quirky written all over her. Would any girl be able to wear this dress? No, but that wasn't the assignment. They weren't asked to make something for mass production. They were supposed to flatter the client and make her feel special. She accomplished that. If anyone was going to get the win, it should have gone to Sonjia without question.

This challenge also sucked because it ruined Dmitry's perfect record of no bottom appearances. Not that wasn't completely deserved - that shit was referential and ugly - but still a shame.

I didn't really care who went home. I love Fabio, but he's been skating through these last few weeks. HIs dress was technically my second favorite by default, but I just don't care what happens this season, so whatever. Adios.

Sonjia's meltdown was troubling to me. She's a cheerful, positive woman in general, always ready with a smile, a compliment or simply a display of good humor. To see her break down from pressure, overwork, lack of sleep, etc. was disturbing. I really felt for her and agree that it seemed authentic (which made me feel like a darn voyeur) as opposed to some designers' theatrical crying spells.

I don't think the other designers were heartless towards her. I think some were so shocked by seeing Sonjia of all people fall apart that they didn't know what to do. And Fabio, before suggesting the walk, reached over and touched her arm in a comforting gesture. I think they all like her - and no one wanted to see her go out that way (thank God she didn't) - but really didn't know how to help.

Sonjia has always been a hot mess. Her time management in S10 was atrocious, and every week the viewer could count on either her or Melissa having a total panic attack 2 minutes to runway. One of my favorite scenes was during the Lord & Taylor challenge where Sonjia is having a completely OTT hilarious meltdown while Elena is desperately trying to pull Sonjia's peplem-dress over her model's hips for her. She eventually burned out at F5 during the avant-garde eveningwear challenge, and I was convinced the editing was heading toward another end-game flameout. But we will see next week if history repeats itself!

• Love 1

Ugh, this episode was THE WORST! (but in the spirit of full disclosure, MY motto is "always a bride, never a bridesmaid" so what do I know).

Can we talk about the real tragedy of the night? Alyssa introducing Cat Deeley of "So You Think You Could Dance". (I guess this show's budget is so tiny they can't even afford retakes? Or do they just say "Ah, fuck it!" and keep going?). Hey Alyssa, you used to be on that show "Whom's the Boss", right?

• Love 7

Sonjia's looked like a bathrobe to me.

Fabio seems like a great guy, but I was so tired of his "I'm so amazingly progressive and fashion-forward because I play with androgynous looks". Granted all the designers are full of themselves, but I just wanted to tell him "No, Fabio, you're not. People have been doing that since before you were a fashion designer."

• Love 3

That was my thought too! Who would want to look back on that as the memory of their wedding day? Are people really that desperate to be on TV?

At least the bride didn't have to wear something made by this bunch of "alll stars." I couldn't believe how dull and poorly made most of them were.

I call a foul on the show for this.  I think it's the bride's way of either getting to be on tv in her dress or getting her dress for less.  There is no way all 5 of her bridesmaids were model sized or any mother of the bride or groom would sit in the second row BEHIND the show contestants.  I'm hoping the bride had a lovely real wedding with friends and loved ones elsewhere.

I laughed so hard when I saw that Zanna was accompanied on her walk-thru with Mr. Marchesa; hmmmm, didn't trust the 80s video extra to give advice on the gorgeous, beautiful Marchesa-inspired gowns, now, did we? 

And if that was a real wedding, I'm Mr. Roarke from Fantasy Island. Smiles, everyone, smiles....

From the preview for next week, it appears that Helen of Cry* provides a full on ugly sob fest that would put even Amber from Parenthood to shame. This, of course, will mean that she stays. Again. 

"Moon Isaac!!!" Hee hee!!

*can't remember who the poster was who came up with this, or I'd give credit where credit is due.

The previews on this show are so crazy that Helen's crying might be when she won. They never match up. Make you think one thing is going to happen and then another thing happens. I don't know why they do that. It's pretty stupid. Misdirection idiocy.

A prime example of the promo/preview monkeys at work for this week's show was the way they took Fabio's 'bitchy' comment and made it look as If he was reacting to a critique, when he was, in fact, referring to the fabric he chose.

• Love 1

I agree the designs this week were terrible.

Say what you will about Michelle, but at least she has the good sense to recognize her own failures.  She was the one who said "it looks aaaaaawful!" about her own design.  No sugar coating, no "it wasn't what I had in mind but I loved how she looked", or any of that other crap.  She was banking on the judges at least seeing that she was trying to do something different and she was rewarded for taking the biggest risk by not being eliminated, but she knew that what she sent down was terrible.  None of the other designers thought that of their own designs.  Whether that is because they are delusional, want to defend their designs so as not to appear incompetent, or some other reason, who knows?  But I found both, the fact that Michelle knew her garment was terrible and the fact that she admitted it for the cameras refreshing.

I think the final two this season will be Dmitry and Michelle, and honestly, based on their designing abilities, I think they are the ones who most deserve it.

I thought Alyssa had finally found a better stylist when I saw the dress she was wearing at Marchessa (take the chord belt away and that's a decent look for her) with a much needed, younger looking hairdo , but then they had to put her in that tight mess that made her legs look like whole hams when she was shot in profile standing on the runway.  At least they let her hair be.

• Love 2

Sonjia's looked like a bathrobe to me.

Part of my problem with the dress was the model; she had severely sloped shoulders and that kind of dress (and material) needs a 'seventies' build to wear it well -- straight shoulders, long legged, trim but not delicate  --  and she was all hipster bangs and ladylike limbs.  That dress fitted on a different model would have (maybe have) fallen more elegantly over the body.

Edited by film noire
  • Love 1

I thought it was hilarious that Sonjia said she added that slit to her dress because usually bridesmaid dresses are so covered up and she wanted to let her show some skin. She's the one who designed a dress with long sleeves and a long skirt! if she wanted her bridesmaid to show some skin, she could have done it without covering her up and then doing that weird long skirt/short skirt combination.

I don't know what kind of weddings she has been to, but every wedding I have been to (even in the winter and even at weddings that took place after 5pm) the bridesmaids had bare arms and the skirts were knee length at most. I have only been to one wedding where the bridesmaids had long floor length skirts and even then their arms were bare. I'm not saying that I've been going to weddings with skanky bridesmaid dresses either. It's just that I have never been to a wedding where the bridesmaids were wearing long sleeves and had long skirts.

• Love 3

I was married in 1988 and I went totally against tradition by having a tea-length dress. It took me forever to find one and even with multiple shopping excursions and visiting over 10 bridal shops in a large metropolitan city, there were only two options. Thank goodness I actually liked one of them. Remember, Princess Diana was married in 1981 so the trend was still over the top gowns with trains almost as long as the church aisle. Because my dress was short, so were my bridesmaids'. I was determined that they be able to wear them again so they had simple cotton knee-length dresses with a touch of lace at the neck. I know for a fact that both girls wore them many times. But up until my wedding, I had never, ever been to a wedding where the maids' dresses weren't floor length.

Back on topic: I find these designers disappointing. I, too, believe it's due to all of the one-day challenges. The first season I watched was Christian Siriano's win. (I had assumed from the title that it was a modeling show so didn't bother to watch.) I was fascinated watching the designers work. The detail they put into their designs was incredible. I miss those days. Now it's just a race against the clock and whose dress sucks the least.

• Love 1

I stick to saying that the time constraint does not excuse crappy ugly designs...it excuses execution only, for me. But comeon, these designers should have ideas for decent dresses in their heads all the time. None of these were any good. Nothing I would have worn at any age, anywhere. Or wait, maybe thirty years ago.

I half-way agree. Except that if I were a designer with their time crunch, I'd be making lots of concessions to that in my design. 

• Love 3

I have watched PR since season 1, and after this season of All Stars, I have concluded that Michelle is my least-favorite contestant ever (and that includes Kenley, Jeffrey, Wendy Pepper...). I wasn't a fan of her in her season - I found her mean and full of herself - and she's ramped that up even more in this season. From being completely phony to Dmitry ("It looks pretty" - followed by confessional crowing how ugly it is) to her snarky comments about Helen having a limited wheelhouse (which may be true, but she said it in such a mocking way), to her general too-cool-for-the-room attitude (she's not too cool - she's THERE).

I did LOL when she said that Dmitry had lined up the fabric against her body just to touch her boob, and he responded cheerfully, "Yes."  His timing and intonation was great.

• Love 3

It was Fabio's time. And wtf was that weird spatter-painted smock thing he was wearing?

I think it was leftover fabric from last week's challenge, though why he would want to remind anyone, Isaac in particular, of that unfortunate garment I have no idea.

And a giant, UGH!, to this whole episode. Will there reach a point that designers might not want to even compete? Who wants to show half-assed designs and garments? I can't imagine that very much of what we've seen this season has been shown with pride. The Runway has just showcased bad examples of the designers' work.

Edited by NewDigs
  • Love 2

Frustratingly for us, there will be innumerable crops of new designers wanting their moment in the spotlight, regardless of what we've all been seeing the contestants go through for YEARS. 

EVERY.SINGLE.TIME we hear from contestants "I never thought it would be so hard" and "I can't believe how much pressure it is" and "We never get any sleep", yet we all know that most of them think THEY are special.  THEY won't get stressed.  THEY won't melt down.  THEY won't come off looking bad on TV. 

It would be sad if we haven't had so much exposure to what really happens behind the scenes.  As it is now, it's just deliberate ignorance if a contestant doesn't understand the REAL behind the "Reality". 

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 1

re:  The wear again bridesmaid dress.  When I got married {again} I wore a Liberty of London print of pale blue and cream. I told my two sisters to pick out any navy blue knee length dress they liked and would wear again. And they both got several years wear from their choice.  So it can be done

• Love 3

...these judges see fricking penises or vaginas everywhere they look.  They can't seem to get through two episodes in a row without discussing someone's genitals or theoretical genitals.

It's because the judges all have the intelligence and emotional maturity of twelve-year-olds and believe comments that barely garnered a snicker in the bathroom at middle school pass for ground breaking comedy material.

I love Dimitry, but if, while in Mood next challenge, he chooses any combination of blue and black fabric he should be eliminated on the spot.

Ugh at Helen.  I always picture her lurking in the dank alley next to a methadone clinic, but now she's wearing a diamond ring and necklace while sipping wormwood tea from a hideously frou-frou china cup.

• Love 4

Ugh at Helen.  I always picture her lurking in the dank alley next to a methadone clinic, but now she's wearing a diamond ring and necklace while sipping wormwood tea from a hideously frou-frou china cup.

Nope, she'll be selling all that stuff to pay for more fugly tattoos.

• Love 4

Fabio, Michelle... they BOTH bug the hell out of me.  So while it might have been better if the annoying uptalker left, I can't get all that upset either.

Dimitri next maybe?

I know. The idea of Helen in the finale or (gasp!) winning is... odd.  But surprisingly she's been a lot less annoying this season than Michelle or Dimitri.  Then again, her "win" this past episode was kind of damning with faint praise. She won because she had the least horrible dress. Which is different from actually having a GOOD dress.

How cruel that they made Fabio sit in the front row for that Potemkin* wedding, right after being eliminated?

I know it's been said before, but why, oh why are Alyssa Milano's dresses so tight!?  It's like she's trying to get her non-pregnant wardrobe to last her the entire 9 months.  That Marchesa dress she wore for the wedding looked OK...but only from the armpits up.  

At least the designers seem to be fond of her.

*adding this Russian reference to compliment the previous references to Faberge eggs.

Edited because "but" and "buy" are not the same word.

Edited by Special K
  • Love 2