Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Radisson

Lisin
  • Start Topic

As a huge fan of the Coen Brothers and the movie, I can't wait for this to premier. I'm also a native Minnesotan though I've lived all over the World and am currently in Southern Cali so any trace of the MN accent that I may have had is long gone (and I grew up in the Twin Cities area, so the accent there isn't nearly as OTT as it is in the movie) but still love when I call home and can hear hints of it from my family/friends.  It sounds like there is a really good cast in this and I'm so glad Martin Freeman from Sherlock is part of it and hope he can do the accent justice!  :-)

• Love 1

I can't wait to see this. I've been watching the new season of The Americans and the teasers and trailers they are showing during that show have really piqued my interest.

Premiere day can't come fast enough!

It's been a long time since I saw the movie.  Main things I recall about it are the funny accents and the wood chipper.

If it doesn't have those elements, they can't really call it Fargo now can they?  

As a huge fan of the Coen Brothers and the movie, I can't wait for this to premier. 

Do the Coen Bros. have anything to do with this? If so, I'll give it a shot. But for some reason, I imagined that they merely sold the rights to their movie--or that they didn't need to, since the studio that produced the movie owns the rights and can do anything it wants with them. Will be happy to be wrong about that.

They're executive producers.

OK, we have to come up with another thread title here, because I'm getting email notifications from Small Talk threads for several different shows and they look the same.

I went ahead and abused my mod privileges by adding a subtitle. If someone wants to come up with something that's better and/or actually has something to do with the show and not the movie (once we really know anything about the show), just say so. :)

The network just showed the movie Fargo to promote the series and they showed a lot of little interviews and promotions during the breaks.

It looks really good!  I am looking forward to it even more now!

I thought the most disgusting thing in the movie was when the female chief's husband was sitting on the side of the bed, and he coughed to clear his throat and you could hear the phlegm--and then he says he's going to make her some eggs. I got sick to my stomach just imagining him making eggs.  Ugh.

Edited by Ohwell

I missed that very thing in first episode. I adored Margies and Norm's relationship. All about the food! the chief's wife on TV show didn't offer breakfast, didn't get outta bed. sorry I did notice and miss that!!! That said, the show is AWESOME.

I'm a Breaking Bad fan, and I hope Bob Odenkirk gets a much better opportunity to shine on Better Call Saul, because I think he's being misused on Fargo. 

• Love 1

Better Call Saul is still happening and this show is awesome!   Kudos for this cast and crew. Any Breaking Bad fans watching?? 

I am. I have to say his performance in playing so anti-Saul really makes me respect him ten times more as an actor.

Plus, it might be good practice for him, playing a far more innocent character. Not to say Saul will ever be anything like Bill but I'm wondering if they won't have Saul start off as less manipulative, less smarmy. 

Better Call Saul is still happening and this show is awesome! Kudos for this cast and crew. Any Breaking Bad fans watching??

Here! Is the date set for Saul?

He's doing a good job on Fargo too. I think he's going to grow a lot in these final episodes.

I have a question. I understand this is a mini-series and the story will complete at the end. Since it's had good ratings I'm guessing there will be another season with another crime. At first I thought it would be in a different town with all different characters. But I want Molly and Gus and Bill to be in the next story. Does anyone have any idea whether that will happen or will it be an all new cast? Or what?

. But I want Molly and Gus and Bill to be in the next story. Does anyone have any idea whether that will happen or will it be an all new cast? Or what?

I think they've mentioned they want a whole new set of characters each season. Similar to American Horror Story and True Detective. They might use the same pool of actors (like AHS has been) for new characters. Or it might be set in the same world so you might hear mention of Molly and Gus etc...in the next season. I don't think they know for sure yet either.

• Love 1

I binge watched the entire season this weekend and I'm breathless waiting for the final episode.    I'm glad I did it all in one big marathon--I'm not sure I would have been able to stand waiting for each week's episode.

I hope this isn't the end of the Molly/Gus family, and there is something in me that hopes Malvo lives to terrorize another day.    This is my favorite role for Billy Bob--he was clearly loving this part, and he really brought it.    I kind of love him the way I love Dexter and Hannibal--and even tho he does bad things, there is something about him I want to see more of.

• Love 1

I binge watched the entire season this weekend and I'm breathless waiting for the final episode.    I'm glad I did it all in one big marathon--I'm not sure I would have been able to stand waiting for each week's episode.

I binge watched this weekend too *high fives car54* but I wish I had been watching all along with everyone else to join in the discussion.
  • Love 1

It's only available on the BBC player for another 24 hours, but episode one of "Lewis Macleod is Not Himself" did a running sketch about Martin Freeman—including his "Fargo" accent.

From the transcript:

“Deputy Molly Solverson”: Oh, jeez, Mr. Nygaard. There’s been a murder!

“Martin / Lester Nygaard”: Aw, jeez, Deputy – aw, heck! Hey, you don’t think that’s got anything to do anything with Fargo, do you?

“Deputy Molly Solverson”: The town, or the movie?

“Martin / Lester Nygaard”: Oh, yeah, yeah. It’s not quite as good as the movie, is it? Hey, er … I hope you don’t suspect me of the murder, officer.

“Deputy Molly Solverson”: Oh  no, of course not. You’re just an innocent put-upon everyman.

I binged watched this week. I bought the season from Amazon months ago and I'm glad I waited for this delicious treat. It was so hard not to google it, but spoilers were not in my game plan. Kudos to all.

• Love 1

So is the second season worth watching if one didn't care for the first? I'm seeing lots of good reviews but the first season had lots of good reviews as well. I thought the first season was well acted and well produced but just did not jive on the writing... Molly was a good character but wasn't impressed with any others like Malvo whose evil and intelligence was downright cartoonish. I get that the cartoonishness of the characters was probably intentional because the show fancied itself to be a modern day parable but I just didn't jive with it.

I'm asking because the anthology concept is interesting in that there's a clean slate... maybe something clicks with new stories and characters. Is the writing the samr tone as season 1?

• Love 1

I didn't watch the first season, as I've grown tired of Billy Bob Thornton, although on the up side, Key and Peele! I am watching this season because I like the cast and was desperate for a good drama show, I'm still longing for that feeling of looking forward to a show each week, like when we watched True Detective season one on DVD, we couldn't wait for our next DVD to arrive!

• Love 1

I've just started watching the first season, but am thinking about jumping into the second as well, so that I can discuss it here in real time. Would I lose anything by doing that, in your opinions?

Not at all. The second series is a prequel, and Molly Solverson is a little girl. I haven't seen anything so far that requires any knowledge of the first season.

Edited by editorgrrl
  • Love 1

I'm wishing I could just binge watch all of season two, right now.

I became accustomed to binge watching when I lived overseas and bought DVDs of the Sopranos and Boardwalk Empire.

It is a better experience to watch a season over the course of a week or two, instead of a couple of months.

I think the old model of releasing TV series needs to change, at least for dramas.

I'd like it if a network went a On-Demand release strategy. They'd even be able to charge a premium for it, and advertising wouldn't suffer because they could still embed ads in the shows.

Edited by ToastnBacon
  • Love 1

It is a better experience to watch a season over the course of a week or two, instead of a couple of months.

I think it depends on the series.  For example, having a week to savor each installment of Mad Men and discuss its nuances with like-minded viewers on line greatly enhanced my appreciation and satisfaction level.  Series that are released in one fell swoop don't generate the same level of online discussion, in my experience, and talking about what I watch is almost as important to me as the watching!

• Love 3

And speaking of the Radisson, a few weeks ago I saw a stage production of East of Eden at Chicago's Steppenwolf Theater. The Chinese man-servant who has a lot on the ball was played by Steve Park, who was Mike Yanagita in the Fargo movie.

Mike Yanagita: [moves to Marge's side of the table and puts arms around her] Do you mind if I sit over here?
Marge Gunderson: No. Why don't you sit over there? I'd prefer that.
Mike Yanagita: Huh? Uh... ok.
[moves back to other side of table]
Mike Yanagita: Sorry.
Marge Gunderson: Oh, no, no. Just so I can see you. I don't have to turn my neck.

• Love 1

An off shoot benefit of enjoying Fargo is the accents. 

It is utterly refreshing to NOT hear up-speak, vocal fry or sentences using the word "like" as every other word, sprinkled with the obligatory "literally."

Pure heaven to my ears. 

My husband and I have incorporated "OK, then" into our regular vocabulary.

We've been saying that at my house ever since Raising Arizona! I guess the Coens are the common denominator. :-)
  • Love 2

The only thing that bugs me about this season is Peggy riding a bus to get from home to Luverne.  There's no mass transit in rural areas.  There wasn't any in the 70's and there's none now.  You can catch an occasional Greyhound, but that's it. 

We've been saying that at my house ever since Raising Arizona! I guess the Coens are the common denominator. :-)

That is one of my favorite movies. Great dialog, excellent soundtrack and some fantastic acting.

John Goodman was good in that as where many others.

Nathan Arizona cracked me up every second he was on screen.

• Love 4

Ha, of course, we have to remember that they aren't on the East Coast!

I was thinking the same thing about the Avocado/Harvest Gold/Coppertone appliances.  I got my first apartment in 1974, and I had a lot of slightly older friends who were buying houses & new appliances around then, and those colors were the new, in thing.  By 1978, when I bought my first house and new appliances, the colors were already a little passé & white was back in style!  Hey, Pittsburgh is maybe a little more "East" than Luverne ;-)

I did get married in 1976 -- and I could probably dig up some wedding pix of my brothers in their leisure suits.

If people were cheap and/or couldn't afford to replace the gold/avocado colored appliances, those things would be sticking around for awhile. We had those colored appliances well into the '80s. Plus, one of those wooden console TVs managed to hang on until 1992, when the CRT finally blew out. Well, half of it blew out. Even then, my mother refused to replace it-- until she realized she couldn't see the whole puzzle on Wheel of Fortune. THEN, she bought us a new TV.

• Love 6

If people were cheap and/or couldn't afford to replace the gold/avocado colored appliances, those things would be sticking around for awhile. We had those colored appliances well into the '80s. Plus, one of those wooden console TVs managed to hang on until 1992, when the CRT finally blew out. Well, half of it blew out. Even then, my mother refused to replace it-- until she realized she couldn't see the whole puzzle on Wheel of Fortune. THEN, she bought us a new TV.

Have they shown any shag and/or grass-green carpet? As a life-long tenant, I was so relieved when I moved into a place in '83 without that horrible green under foot.
  • Love 1

Have they shown any shag and/or grass-green carpet? As a life-long tenant, I was so relieved when I moved into a place in '83 without that horrible green under foot.

My earliest memories of shag carpet are ones of my parents criticizing it.

We never had it and I was under the impression that it was one of those things that was a flop with consumers from the outset. Like Ford's Edsel it was well known for being unpopular.