Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E18: Live Finale

Sorry, I simply do not see a 100+ lb weight loss as mediocre in any case. The effort/accomplishment was respectable, and almost all of these contestants will put some weight back on at some point..does that mean that all of their losses will then become"mediocre"? 4 to 6 lbs is a nothing gain, particularly for someone like Scott or Damien, who were pretty much where they needed to be physically. And it in no way nullifies or lessens what they have achieved.

Edited by newyawk
  • Love 2

Woody and Lori still look fat, so do half of other contestants. I think I may agree about Scott though, taking into account his height.

I just thought that the sportsmen and champions will do much better. Maybe I had too high expectations.

From my waterlogged spot in the shallow end of the pool:  I thought Matt (I think that's his name, the one whose long-time girlfriend told him he needed to lose weight or she would break up with him) was simply stunning as a model.  He looked really good with his weight loss, and I believe he will maintain it, but those stills they showed from his modeling days?  Whoo-heee!  [fans self]

I thought JJ, Jordan and Toma all looked great.  I mean, never-been-fat great.  So did Scott, but he was always an attractive man.

I was more disappointed in the results than most years, because I love shows with HUGE TRANSFORMATIONS!  There weren't so many this time.  But even with the relatively low weight losses, I keep thinking how doctors say just losing ten percent of your body weight improves your health radically if you're obese.  So for people to lose 14% to 50% of their weight was really good. (I got out the calculator and I've lost 15.5% of my weight in the past eight months, so I would be a "disappointment" at a finale.)

Sonya is just so charming and fun that I'd love to see her and Toma kind of be the faces of TBL for a while.  Kind of how Tara, even though she didn't win her season, still is remembered fondly and still does weight coaching.

I haven't seen hide nor hair of Rachel since last season.  I hope she is doing well and has regained some weight and found some equilibrium.  Anyone know what's happening with her?  She's like TBL's dirty little secret, and it's made me curious.

Edited by ChicagoCita
  • Love 4

Was there any rhyme or reason to the order of their appearance in this finale?

I thought maybe each grouping worked with a particular trainer.

Are other finales longer?  I didn't think so.

I think they wasted more time on flashbacks.

At one finale, I thought we even saw a bit of the party, because wasn't Journey Courtney still in her weight-in clothes?

I'd like them to either skip or pre-record showing the weigh-in,  and let them come out, and stay, the their new clothes.

They could keep their weight hidden from the contestants, and reveal it on stage.

It just seems demeaning to me for them to have to spend most of the on-air time in gym clothes, when they've worked to look more attractive in clothes.

Given all the issues of Biggest Loser Contestants losing weight too quickly, I don't mind seeing this group slowing it down. I think it is too early to tell if they'll be gaining the weight back.

Lori looks great to me. She's tall with a strong/bulky build. 210 seems fine for her. I think she'd be losing muscle if she lost much more.

Sonya's dress was horrible on her, as others have said. I wonder if a dress size bigger would have helped. She looked stuffed in there.

Congratulations to Toma. I was rooting for him or Sonya.

Edited by Meushell
  • Love 1

I also thought this season's weight loss wasn't as dramatic as in previous years. Maybe that had to do with Rachel from last year, I don't know. It was strange that she wasn't there- don't they usually have the previous year's winner say a little blurb?

I wonder who is dressing them (as I do every year). Do they get a choice in what they wear? Too many tight dresses & unflattering leggings.

I was glad Angry Kermit did not win. I was waiting for his face to turn green & for him to tear his shirt open, ala the Hulk. He still has that "fat person's stance" where the thighs are too big & lower legs are splayed apart.

I agree the ending is always too abrupt. We meet these people & see them cry for weeks. Poof! You're the winner, roll credits.

• Love 4
I agree the ending is always too abrupt. We meet these people & see them cry for weeks. Poof! You're the winner, roll credits.

The only thing I can think is that the Today Show has dibs on interviewing the winner, who always makes an appearance the next morning.  I wonder if they get ANY sleep?  Toma flew from Chicago to LA, had a full schedule of TBL activities, on live TV well into the night, and then on the Today Show in New York first thing in the morning.

• Love 1

Scott and Woody each lost at least 120 pounds, how can you possibly call that mediocre or lacking in results? And Lori lost at least 90 pounds, that's nothing to sneeze at. Scott doesn't have much more to drop at 246, if anything. 

Bear in mind  that Scott is very tall, and Damien and Woody aren't short, either.   All three are large men who can carry more weight and be fit than a guy like Matthew or Jordan who have much smaller frames.   My guess is that Scott, Woody, and Damien  continued to lose fat, and built up more muscle, which accounted for the weight gain.  Damien really showed the loss in his face, and I thought looked great.   I think Scott and Damien are under their playing weights. 

Had Matthew not started lifting, he would have beat Jordan, who was somewhat toned, but not really fit.    A good move by Jordan, who can now start putting on some muscle.   

If Sonya lost 24 lbs at home in 4 weeks, she's still pulling that magic six per week.   Pretty impressive.    Toma looked absolutely fit and great.   Rage Boi does look like a very tall, long lost Kennedy cousin.   I'm sorry to say it's the one who murdered Martha Moxley.

Blake looked amazing and did an awesome job at home.   Not loving that dress, but she's a young girl and finally having fun dressing up and looking as good as her friends, so I'm not mad at her. 

• Love 1

I know that they seek out heavier contestants every year, but it is disheartening to me when many contestants still look like befores on the finale. Please, please get someone with more classic taste to dress the women. Shiny, short and tight is not a good look for many. Rob actually weighs 1 pound less than Scott at this point. Very glad to see Sonya and Blake in a normal BMI range.

• Love 1
I also thought this season's weight loss wasn't as dramatic as in previous years. Maybe that had to do with Rachel from last year, I don't know. It was strange that she wasn't there- don't they usually have the previous year's winner say a little blurb?

Rachel actually WAS there. I don't believe they ever showed her on TV though. I saw it somewhere on the Internet, not sure if it was on the official Biggest Loser Facebook page or somewhere else, but she took a selfie and posted it on Instagram. If you look up her Instagram you will see it! She looked good! I don't know why they didn't show her. I read she had put on 20 pounds shortly after lady year's finale. I enjoyed seeing Big Vinnie from a couple years ago. He looked great!

PS I just looked it up and it was her FACEBOOK page! She also posted a photo posing with Dolvett backstage, I can't seem to copy the link, but her name is Rachel Frederickson.

Edited by Momof2boyz
  • Love 1

Rob may weigh 1 lb less than Scott.  but Scott dropping 120 compared to Rob's 200+ is more reasonable long term.   Scott still has a powerful physique, and did when he was overweight.    Rob is like dough on bones.     Comparing any of the other men to Scott, Damien, and Woody isn't instructive, since they're all much more densely built.    Rob never had a powerful physique, and probably never will.

I thought for the women that Blake and Rhondalee had amazing transformations without getting into too skinny ville.    Some of the others do have much work to do.

• Love 1

I remember on one of the weight loss shows- Discovery Health Body challenge I think- they had not just weight lost but the person's body fat % each week. TBL just measures % of weight lost, but not % of body fat lost.

Well, this is over. I was not too impressed by the weight loss of the majority of the contestants. The average weight loss is quite mediocre, which is surprising, taking into account that contestants are related to sport. They must have a great will, but I didn't see that in their results - Damien's, Scott's, Woody's, Lori's particulary. Season 9 had 17 weeks too, but those results are just not compatible with this ones (apart from the finalists, Jordan, JJ and Matt).

Here goes the general end chart:p0pFgSb89e8.jpg

I didn't put into tables the intermediate weight of the contestants at home, so in my table Woody gained 4 lbs, Damien gained 3 lbs, and Scott gained 6 lbs since leaving the camp. And Matt has the largest weight lost at home since leaving the ranch (-84 lbs).

Sonya has the lowest weight and ending BMI. The heaviest contestant at the finale is Vanessa. Toma has the highest percentage of weight loss, and Zina has the lowest (not surprising). Zina also has the biggest ending BMI.

Only Sonya and Blake have ideal BMI. Jordan, Rondalee, Toma, Lori, JJ, Scott, Gina, Matt, Andrea and Rob are simply overweight. Mike, Jackie and Emmy are 1st class obese. Woody, Vanessa, Chandra, Damien and Zina are 2nd class obese.

Weight loss chart:Ve2u5lsNINo.jpg

Rob lost the biggest amount of weight both at the camp and in total. Zina lost the smallest amount of weight.

The hugest number of weight loss at the camp is 38 lbs by Mike in week 1. Toma, the winner, is the only person to gain weight during the camp period (notorious week 11). The same week Scott lost nothing.

Elimination history:pIWO0U3Z9-Y.jpg

Your numbers are off regarding the BMI, at least for Toma, BMI for someone that is 6' 2" and 165 is 21.2, well within what is considered healthy.

Your numbers are off regarding the BMI, at least for Toma, BMI for someone that is 6' 2" and 165 is 21.2, well within what is considered healthy.

In what world is Toma 6'2"?  Also, that chart says Sonya is 5'6" and there is no possible way.  That's what I am and she looks to be at least 4 inches shorter than me.  I'd put Toma at about 5'7"  Yikes!

I thought those heights seemed odd too, especially since it seemed that Lori was significantly taller than Toma, but I was just noting the odd calculation based on what was listed in that chart. I'd guess that Sonya is around 5' 3".

• Love 1

I previously mentioned that it should be based on % BF lost not by % LBS. lost.  Damian's % lbs lost might not be as impressive as somebody like Toma.  But Damian has a lot of muscle and I'm glad he didn't sacrifice it just to try to win. 

The reason why a lot of Jillian's contestants would win is because she knew the rules.  She purposely made her contestants do a lot of running to get their weight down.  They don't do as much heavy lifting as other trainers might make them do.

In what world is Toma 6'2"?  Also, that chart says Sonya is 5'6" and there is no possible way.  That's what I am and she looks to be at least 4 inches shorter than me.  I'd put Toma at about 5'7"  Yikes!

I had no other source to take the heights from but Wikipedia. A few days ago Toma was put there at 6'2. Now it says Toma is 5'11. Sonya is still 5'6.there.