Type keyword(s) to search

Escaping The Stones: The Cast In Other Roles

tcay
  • Start Topic

On 5/7/2021 at 8:51 AM, QuinnM said:

I seem to be tripping over Outlanders all this week.  Acorn has 22 seasons of Midsommer Murders and I have a habit of just streaming that when I clean.  Imagine my surprise to see a 2005 Sam Heughan on a season 10 episode called Kings Crystal.  Just a hint of a Scottish accent.  

Then in the middle of the night (I work odd hours remote) I have Death in Paradise on there is Loaghaire as a mistress.  I actually heard her and turned around since I knew that voice.

Those Outlanders are all over the place.

Nell Hudson was also in the UK production “Victoria”. I did the same when I heard her voice, “Hey, it’s Laoghaire!”

• Love 3

I went looking for anything I could find with Sophie Skelton just to see if it was her effort to put on an American accent that made her such a horrible actress to watch, or if she is simply the least talented actor on the entire Outlander series. That monotone, expressionless acting is really hard to watch.

She's got a tiny part in "Another Woman's Son" and even in that small role, she really is just a bad actress. 

• Love 1
On 7/10/2021 at 3:56 PM, rozone7 said:

She's got a tiny part in "Another Woman's Son" and even in that small role, she really is just a bad actress. 

This is just so scary realizing how front and center her and Roger become in the series.  They needed someone who was as talented as Catriona to take on the female lead role.

• Love 2

More Midsomer Murders, which I now believe to be the British version of Law&Order for casting.  I tuned into S3E3-Judgement Day to watch a young Orlando Bloom in the role he had when he heard he booked Lord of the Rings.  And guess who is the butchers son, Tobias Menzies.  So this is circa 2001.

1 hour ago, isalicat said:

Just saw Episode 4, Series 20, of Midsomer Murders and one of the main suspects is Roger! He was very good - plays a flashy rugby player with some drug issues.

Midsomer Murders must be the Law & Order of the UK.  Tobias as a butchers son was so cute.

12 hours ago, QuinnM said:

Midsomer Murders must be the Law & Order of the UK.  Tobias as a butchers son was so cute.

More or less! Law & Order had 20 seasons before its recent renewal, and Midsomer Murders has had 22 so far as of this year.

Edited by Noneofyourbusiness

Caitriona just appeared on the Today Show (3rd hour) to promote her upcoming film, "Belfast."  What a happy surprise!  

It was interesting to hear her use were own natural accent during the interview (which is different from Claire's accent) and then to hear her do a Belfast accent during the clips from the upcoming movie.  I predict that the Belfast accent is going to be a wee bit of a challenge for some viewers.

Here's a link to the trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja3PPOnJQ2k

Edited by WatchrTina

For you fans of Douglas Henshall (a.k.a. Season 1's Taran MacQuarrie), a new season of "Shetland" (Season 6) is available on-demand.  I'm watching it via my BritBox subscription on Amazon Prime Video.

As usual, the scenery of the Shetland Islands (located off the northeast coast of Scotland) is spectacular.  Also as usual, the mystery (or mysteries) to be solved are complicated and twisty and DARK. (This is NOT a "cozy" detective show like Midsomer Murders.)  

Alas, they are releasing the show weekly instead of giving us all the episodes to binge-watch (so cruel!)  Since I can't binge season 6 I've decided to go back and re-watch the first 5 seasons.  They are each only a handful of episodes long so it's not that big a commitment of time and -- quite frankly -- the mysteries in this series are SO convoluted that Season 1 - 5 feel like I'm seeing them for the first time. 

Trigger warning:  Season 3 has an upsetting rape story line.

Edited by WatchrTina
9 minutes ago, WatchrTina said:

For you fans of Douglas Henshall (a.k.a. Season 1's Taran MacQuarrie), a new season of "Shetland" (Season 6) is available on-demand.  I'm watching it via my BritBox subscription on Amazon Prime Video.

As usual, the scenery of the Shetland Islands (located off the northeast coast of Scotland) is spectacular.  Also as usual, the mystery (or mysteries) to be solved are complicated and twisty and DARK. (This is NOT a "cozy" detective show like Midsomer Murders.)  

Alas, they are releasing the show weekly instead of giving us all the episodes to binge-watch (so cruel!)  Since I can't binge season 6 I've decided to go back and re-watch the first 5 seasons.  They are each only a handful of episodes long so it's not that big a commitment of time and -- quite frankly -- the mysteries in this series are SO convoluted that Season 1 - 5 feel like I'm seeing them for the first time. 

Trigger warning:  Season 3 has an upsetting rape story line.

If I'm not mistaken, Steven Cree (Ian) is a guest star in season/series 2. I remember watching this when it was on Nextflix a few years ago. Not sure if it still is or not.

Here's a promo for Season 2 of "Men in Kilts" -- the continuing adventures of Sam and Graham running around exploring sights and having exciting (and frequently humorous) experiences in Scotland NEW ZEALAND!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18OBlICV3ps

I'm feeling a weird vibe of synchronicity with this announcement because I spent yesterday binge-watching "Top of the Lake" (a limited-run mystery on Hulu that is set in Queenstown, New Zealand) and my plan for today is to binge-watch season 2.  

"Kia ora!"

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, WatchrTina said:

Here's a promo for Season 2 of "Men in Kilts" -- the continuing adventures of Sam and Graham running around exploring sights and having exciting (and frequently humorous) experiences in Scotland NEW ZEALAND!!!

My favorite part of this is the announcement of a new show.  I hope each episode has a longer run time than Season 1.

My second favorite part of this is the giant piece of fuzz in Sam's hair.  Reminds me of a loooooongggg Team's session I had for work, where I was sharing my screen and presenting and no one bothered to tell me that my headset made a piece of my hair stick straight out at the side, as though I was being impaled. The joy of virtual meetings.  Glad to see celebs struggle with them, too.  

• LOL 1

Dan Rather just tweeted the following:  "Just saw the movie “Belfast."  Best new feature-length film I've seen in a while.  Love the connection with the old classic “High Noon,” one of my all-time favorites.  Have you seen it?"

Woot!  Love to see Caitriona's movie getting some high-profile praise.

• Love 1

Okay I am finally (FINALLY!) getting caught up on "A Discovery of Witches" in which Stephen Cree has a recurring role as character named "Gallowglass" (which is just a GREAT name.)  In the episode I am watching he and the main couple (a witch and a vampire) have just made it to the European shoreline after a narrow escape by ship from England. This is, of course, giving me HUGE Outlander flash-backs.  It might even be set in the same century.  AND they've arrived in this time and this place via time-travel. (Sort of. It's complicated). 

At this point in the story Stephen Cree's character is headed to a different destination than the main couple but I HOPE we've not seen the last of him.  Note also that Stephen Cree in a good, long-haired wig gives off a very strong Aragorn-in-the-Lord-of-the-Rings vibe and THAT (as Martha Stewart would say) "is a good thing."

BTW, if this IS the last we'll see of his character, he goes out with a bang.  He kisses the leading lady's hand, expresses the hope that they will meet again, and advises them that in seeking him they should "Just follow the trail of vanquished enemies and satisfied women."  If that IS his last appearance on the show, then that's a hell of an exit line.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 1

I'm annoyed.  Looks like Ryan Reynolds and Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson have just released an Action/Comedy movie called "Red Notice."  That's nice.  I like both those actors.  There's just one problem -- there is ALREADY a movie called "Red Notice" that was released in 2021.  "SAS: Red Notice" -- starring Sam Heughan as Special Forces operative Tom Buckingham had a limited release in theaters in early 2021 during the Pandemic.  It then quickly moved to on-demand streaming, which must be where I saw it. 

It's bad enough that Sam's movie's theatrical release was punched in the throat by the Pandemic.  Now, when people hear about Sam's movie and go looking for it on a streaming service, they're likely to confuse it for this later film  

Sigh.

When is Sam going to catch a break when it comes to his movie career?

Edited by WatchrTina
On 12/8/2021 at 10:03 AM, WatchrTina said:

There's just one problem -- there is ALREADY a movie called "Red Notice" that was released in 2021.  "SAS: Red Notice" -- starring Sam Heughan as Special Forces operative Tom Buckingham had a limited release in theaters in early 2021 during the Pandemic.

I think I saw that it has a different name in the US.  

A quick Google search tells me that it is called SAS: Rise of the Black Swan here.  Also not a great name.  

On 12/9/2021 at 12:55 PM, SassAndSnacks said:

A quick Google search tells me that it is called SAS: Rise of the Black Swan here.  Also not a great name.  

You're right.  That's worse.  And someone hunting for it is likely to end up looking at a 2010 movie about ballet and madness called "Black Swan" (starring Natalie Portman) or finding an old 1942 swashbuckler film, "The Black Swan."

Oh well.  What else is new?  There is actually a movie called "Outlander" that is a 2008 science-fiction/action film starring Jim Caviezel, Sophia Myles, Jack Huston, John Hurt, and Ron Perlman.  Thankfully OUR Outlander is the one you find first when you search online.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Useful 1
On 12/9/2021 at 4:50 PM, WatchrTina said:

You're right.  That's worse.  And someone hunting for it is likely to end up looking at a 2010 movie about ballet and madness called "Black Swan" (starring Natalie Portman) or finding an old 1942 swashbuckler film, "The Black Swan."

Interestingly, and by some cosmic intervention, hubs and I saw this listed on Netflix last night, and we watched it.  The beginning is super cringe cheesy.  The action is ok.  Overall, the movie is meh.  Sam, while incredibly dreamy throughout, can do better and deserves better than this.  

• Love 1

Below is a link to an interview with Caitriona in ELLE magazine that focuses mostly on her new film, "Belfast."

https://www.elle.com/culture/movies-tv/a38505083/caitriona-balfe-belfast-outlander-season-6-interview/?fbclid=IwAR26RvZwgTtzAMJxfU1AactWYGdwZptnXp3TMGnKhjrI8fovwCzUN9QhlFo

The article also touches on her recent work on Outlander.  Below is my favorite quote from the article wherein Caitriona discusses the process of filming the latest season while pregnant with her first child.

I have to say, our camera crew, in particular, a bunch of burly Scottish men, were the sweetest group and really looked after me. They’ve all become dads, I think, since we started shooting way back in season 1, and I’ve never had so much child-rearing advice or pregnancy advice or baby gear advice as I have from all of them, and it was just brilliant. They're legends, all of them, so a big thank you to them.

• Love 2

Lauren Lyle will be in Karen Pirie, about a DS working in Scotland's Historic Cases Unit.  Nice to see her in a leading role. It’s based on a set of novels (by author Val McDermid), so might be an ongoing series. 

https://www.whattowatch.com/watching-guides/karen-pirie-everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-latest-itv-crime-drama

Not sure if or when it will be shown in the U.S. or Canada. 

Edited by ferjy
  • Love 3

This is extremely minor but it was a funny surprise to me.  I've been watching YouTube documentaries about British stately homes and their owners, and today I started one about "The Complicated Life Of England's Most Famous Lord -- Lord Montagu." (I have to note that I -- an avowed Anglophile -- did not recognize that name at all so how famous could he be really?)   Anyway, imagine my surprise when a very young Sam Heughan showed up on my screen.  It was a clip from the movie "A Very British Sex Scandal,"  which was based on an incident in the life of Lord Montagu.  Small world!

Well, well, well.  Who did I spy with my little eye in the advertising for "House of the Dragon" -- the prequel to "Game of Thrones" -- but our own Graham McTavish!  

I don't know why I'm surprised -- Graham seems to turn up in all the fantasy shows I like -- most recently in "The Witcher."

So, hooray for Graham!

• Like 1
  • Love 2
On 8/23/2022 at 7:21 PM, WatchrTina said:

Well, well, well.  Who did I spy with my little eye in the advertising for "House of the Dragon" -- the prequel to "Game of Thrones" -- but our own Graham McTavish!  

I don't know why I'm surprised -- Graham seems to turn up in all the fantasy shows I like -- most recently in "The Witcher."

So, hooray for Graham!

Yes I saw him too!

4 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Yes I saw him too!

He's playing Ser Harrold Westerling, Lord Commander of the Kingsguard.

House Westerling is an old house in the Westerlands and bannermen of the Lannisters. In the books, Robb Stark's wife was Jeyne Westerling (Game of Thrones replaced her with Talisa Maegyr of Volantis, an original character). A historical Jeyne Westerling was also one of the six wives of Maegor the Cruel, the third Targaryen king.

3 hours ago, Night Cheese said:

I'm just getting around to House of the Dragon, and in addition to Graham, as mentioned above, I was also happily surprised to see Bill Paterson aka Ned Gowan!

Yes, he plays Lyman Beesbury, the Master of Coin on King Viserys I's small council.

Edited by Noneofyourbusiness
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, Night Cheese said:

I'm just getting around to House of the Dragon, and in addition to Graham, as mentioned above, I was also happily surprised to see Bill Paterson aka Ned Gowan!

9 hours ago, Noneofyourbusiness said:

Yes, he plays Lyman Beesbury, the Master of Coin on King Viserys I's small council.

I did not recognize him! You are right.

On 8/25/2022 at 8:24 PM, Night Cheese said:

I’ve only seen Graham MacTavish (Dougal) in a couple of things, but I’ve seen Bill Patterson in quite a few British shows. He was in “Shetland” as Jimmy Perez’s father until he was busy in Outlander and had to be recast in Shetland! Doug Henshall who plays Jimmy Perez, was also in Outlander in a few episodes.

Speaking of Shetland, Rupert (Grant O'Rourke) is in the current season of Shetland! 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 3/27/2022 at 9:58 PM, SoTheresThat said:

The actor who plays Allan Christie is in second season of Sanditon.

Alexander Vlahos. He’s wasted in Outlander. He was good in Sanditon. But he was superb as the king’s brother, Philippe d'Orléans, in Versailles. I highly recommend the series, by the way, a great watch.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, ferjy said:

I’ve only seen Graham MacTavish (Dougal) in a couple of things, but I’ve seen Bill Patterson in quite a few British shows.

Same. I usually recognize his voice before I recognize his face. I easily knew he did a small voice-over part in an episode of Ted Lasso because of how recognizable I find his voice.

On 8/27/2022 at 1:41 AM, ferjy said:

Alexander Vlahos. He’s wasted in Outlander. He was good in Sanditon. But he was superb as the king’s brother, Philippe d'Orléans, in Versailles. I highly recommend the series, by the way, a great watch.

Yes I agree. He was fab there! I need to rewatch that one. 

13 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Yes I agree. He was fab there! I need to rewatch that one. 

I first heard of him as Mordred in Merlin and now know him best as Dorian Gray in The Confessions of Dorian Gray: https://www.bigfinish.com/ranges/v/the-confessions-of-dorian-gray

13 hours ago, SassAndSnacks said:

I concur.  He deserves more.

On 8/27/2022 at 2:41 AM, ferjy said:

On 3/27/2022 at 9:58 PM, SoTheresThat said:

The actor who plays Allan Christie is in second season of Sanditon.

• Love 1
On 2/22/2022 at 8:50 AM, ferjy said:

Not sure if or when it will be shown in the U.S. or Canada.

Britbox is saying October for the US market.  So I like Britbox since they are turning these over fast.

The late, lamented Rupert MacKenzie (a.k.a. the talented Grant O'Rourke) has resurfaced in Scotland! -- specifically in the Shetland Islands.  Grant has a recurring role in season 7 of the police procedural "Shetland", which I watch via Amazon Prime Video.

As I've mentioned before, Douglas Henshall (a.k.a. Outlander Season 1's Taran MacQuarrie) plays the lead role in "Shetland" -- a very good show that I've really been enjoying.  Come for the murders, stay for the gorgeous scenery.  

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Like 1

Count down to Lauren Lyle as the lead in the ITV series Karen Pirie debuting in the US on Britbox.

And now I see her in a new movie, filming in the sun in Dominican Republic.  It is called Something in the Water.  The writer is from Edinburgh and the director is a woman with some serious credits to her name.  So this is a rather big deal.

Edited by QuinnM
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Looks like Sam has a new gig but it does not appear to be airing in the USA.  He has a role in the James Nesbitt-led crime drama, "Suspect," which aired in June/July 2022 in the UK (eight episodes). The UK has no problem with "one-and-done" TV drama series that tells a single story and last only a single season.  They are akin to a stand-alone novel.  So I presume Sam's work on this is now complete. Alas, I doubt if it will ever air on broadcast TV in the USA, but it might turn up on a streaming service.

Edited by WatchrTina