Type keyword(s) to search

Escaping The Stones: The Cast In Other Roles

tcay
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, Cdh20 said:

You don't make your husband watch Outlander? (I know-really that was my take away from your post, LOL). You should do that right away....

No one in my life watches it. Clearly, I need to hang out with better people!  🙂

I talk about it All. The. Time. with the hubs.  This is typical - "Well in Outlander..." and then I proceed to make a tie in from the books/show to something in our everyday lives. I got him to watch the pilot a few months ago, but I had to sit with a pillow in front of my face the whole time to hide my expressions, particularly after Claire goes through the stones.  I also kept watching him for reactions, which he found to be off-putting.  We haven't watched another episode together since.  Honestly, I kind of like that this is my own thing that I love and can be all giddy about.  

THOUGH, after his initial workout with Graham the other day, he's done the other Highlands hikes in the series.  They are his favorite because they are at a 10% grade.  Last night at dinner, he was like "After this [the pandemic] is all over, we should definitely go to Scotland and do those hikes for real."  Um...YES!  What have I been saying for the last however many years?! 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, SassAndSnacks said:

No one in my life watches it. Clearly, I need to hang out with better people!  🙂

I talk about it All. The. Time. with the hubs.  This is typical - "Well in Outlander..." and then I proceed to make a tie in from the books/show to something in our everyday lives. I got him to watch the pilot a few months ago, but I had to sit with a pillow in front of my face the whole time to hide my expressions, particularly after Claire goes through the stones.  I also kept watching him for reactions, which he found to be off-putting.  We haven't watched another episode together since.  Honestly, I kind of like that this is my own thing that I love and can be all giddy about.  

THOUGH, after his initial workout with Graham the other day, he's done the other Highlands hikes in the series.  They are his favorite because they are at a 10% grade.  Last night at dinner, he was like "After this [the pandemic] is all over, we should definitely go to Scotland and do those hikes for real."  Um...YES!  What have I been saying for the last however many years?

Awe,  we are supposed to go to Scotland this year- obviously that will be cancelled! (We take turns picking vacation places & it was my pick).  I had a meltdown when I first realized this virus was shutting down the whole world, but I guess we will be going next year or the year after (or some year). 

I couldn't keep it to myself so I made all my friends watch it, & my daughter, my mom, my co-workers, clients, LOL! My husband was so sick of everyone talking about it, that he said " Do you want to watch it again?  I want to see what all the fuss is about!"( Twist my arm-did I want to watch it again?) He is a little jealous when I have a celeb/character crush, now he gets it-he loves Jamie! 

On 4/17/2020 at 10:18 AM, SassAndSnacks said:

Not another role per se...

Right before the quarantine started, we ordered a treadmill for our home.  It arrived last week, and we assembled it and started using it (of course).  It has this really fun, interactive feature where you can take pre-programmed runs and hikes all over various worldwide locations.  For instance, I hiked Mt. Fuji last week.  Yesterday, I heard a familiar voice coming from the room where we put the treadmill, so I walked in and found my husband hiking through the Scottish Highlands with Graham McTavish.  Well, I squealed in excitement, but my husband, who is a non-watcher, wasn't nearly as pumped about touring Scotland with Dougal MacKenzie.  

That might actually get me to exercise. 

• LOL 1

I had been aware of this since John Bell was originally cast as Young Ian, but John did an Instagram Live chat on the Outlander page a couple of days back and the question of when he got his first role acting came up. Turns out he gives us another Doctor Who connection to Outlander. John’s first role was in the Tenth Doctor (David Tennant) episode Utopia, which was the only appearance of  Sir Derek Jacobi, and the first appearance of John Simm, as The Master, and marked the first return of John Barrowman to that series. John Bell was the young munchkin whose responsible for a key plot point in the episode.

That’s one heck of a casting lineup for one’s first acting gig!

• Love 2
12 hours ago, toolazy said:

That might actually get me to exercise.

It's really wonderful.  First, Graham's voice is commanding, like he's ready to lead you in a charge against the Red Coats.  Second, he tells really entertaining stories throughout the trek. And third, the camera pans to various vistas and scenery, so you get to see the brilliant countryside.  

I'm fairly fit, and the workout killed my legs and even my core a bit.  Halfway through, I was wheezing and pouring sweat, but I was entertained throughout, so it wasn't complete misery.  

11 minutes ago, SassAndSnacks said:

I'm fairly fit, and the workout killed my legs and even my core a bit.  Halfway through, I was wheezing and pouring sweat, but I was entertained throughout, so it wasn't complete misery. 

That sounds great - what's the make/model? (apologies if you mentioned upthread, I looked but couldn't see).

5 hours ago, pootlus said:

That sounds great - what's the make/model? (apologies if you mentioned upthread, I looked but couldn't see).

It's a NordicTrack C700, but the programs are part of iFit.com, which we got for free for a year from buying the treadmill.  

Do you think Sam should be the next James Bond?  If so, go vote at the poll below.

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/who-should-be-the-next-james-bond-vote-in-our-poll-now/

Note, at the time I posted this Sam was WAY in the lead and Idris Elba was in second place and I voted for both because both would delight me.  (You can only vote for each person once but you can vote for as many of the candidates as you like -- so it's really a ranking system.)

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 1
(edited)
6 hours ago, SassAndSnacks said:

Oh, no! That bad?

I don't care for comic book, super hero type movies to begin with, but I thought my hubby might enjoy it. We did not! I ❤️ Sam, but he couldn't save it.

We watched Ford vs Ferrari a few weeks ago, & although the acting was good in that, I nodded off a few times. Perhaps I have typecast Sam & Cait to forever be Jamie & Claire, but I did enjoy The Spy Who Dumped Me. 

Edited by Cdh20

OMGEE!!!! Have gone down the rabbit hole of British criminal shows, and have rounded back to Law & Order: U.K., which I only watched the first two seasons, or until

they killed off Jamie Bamber!

, so when Ouuutlander premiered, I totally didn't recognize Bill Paterson, our legal scholar, Ned, as the "District Attorney" George in the L&O: U.K. It was his voice. I'm rewatching, and thinking, why does he sound sae familiar? I looked him up, and yep, it's Ned!

• Love 1
On 5/24/2020 at 11:43 AM, Cdh20 said:

I don't care for comic book, super hero type movies to begin with, but I thought my hubby might enjoy it. We did not! I ❤️ Sam, but he couldn't save it.

We watched Ford vs Ferrari a few weeks ago, & although the acting was good in that, I nodded off a few times. Perhaps I have typecast Sam & Cait to forever be Jamie & Claire, but I did enjoy The Spy Who Dumped Me. 

I do enjoy those types of movies and I thought Vin plus Sam would be fun, but I believe you if you said it was bad. The Spy Who Dumped me was pretty cute. 

3 hours ago, WatchrTina said:

Sam and Graham have got a new gig on STARZ -- something call "Men in Kilts," which appears to be a travel documentary series with Sam & Graham running around Scotland together.

I'm never 100% sure if linking to Facebook works but I'll give it a try.

https://www.facebook.com/OutlanderTVSeries.starz/posts/3105216442870877

I came here to say this!  There is also a Twitter account:

https://twitter.com/MenInKiltsSTARZ

Can't wait!

• Love 2
4 hours ago, WatchrTina said:

"Oh sons of dogs!  Of dogs of the BREED! Oh COME!  COME HERE!  ON FLESH TO FEED!!!"

Yup.  That's what I call some fine family entertainment.  🙂

(Seriously though, I can't wait.)

This will sincerely help us through Droughtlander!

On 6/10/2020 at 3:09 PM, WatchrTina said:

Sam and Graham have got a new gig on STARZ -- something called "Men in Kilts," which appears to be a travel documentary series with Sam & Graham running around Scotland together.

I'm never 100% sure if linking to Facebook works but I'll give it a try.

https://www.facebook.com/OutlanderTVSeries.starz/posts/3105216442870877

Coming soon? Coming SOON?? I need tae ken whennnn!!!!

Interview with Graham that does cut out a couple of times and then comes back on how his kernel of an idea for something he called Clanlands became what they hope will be a continuing series on Scotland and its history. Oh, and they're also writing a book together.

• Love 1

The second I read the word “Clanlands” in your post, I immediately began mentally adapting Bruce Springsteen’s “Badlands” as the series’ theme song. I will never get it out of my head now. 

Well I finally got around to seeing Sam in "The Spy Who Dumped Me."  I'm not gonna lie . . . some of the slapstick humor by Mila Kunis and especially Kate McKinnon made me cringe but I don't care because the rest of the movie had me laughing out loud, all alone in my socially distant living room.  And Sam . . . Sam was a revelation.  He looked amazing and dashing and so YOUNG (with short hair and no faux gray.)  And he was FUNNY.  But he also did all the James-Bond-ish spy stuff amazingly well.  The stunts were especially well done.  They faked continuous shots in a manner that I still haven't figured out -- shots in which it was clearly Sam at the start and the finish but it HAD to be professional stunt man in the middle because there is no way the insurance company would led a lead actor like Sam  DO that stuff.  Ah, that was a fun ride

• Love 2
On 6/24/2020 at 6:16 PM, WatchrTina said:

Well I finally got around to seeing Sam in "The Spy Who Dumped Me."  I'm not gonna lie . . . some of the slapstick humor by Mila Kunis and especially Kate McKinnon made me cringe but I don't care because the rest of the movie had me laughing out loud, all alone in my socially distant living room.  And Sam . . . Sam was a revelation.  He looked amazing and dashing and so YOUNG (with short hair and no faux gray.)  And he was FUNNY.  But he also did all the James-Bond-ish spy stuff amazingly well.  The stunts were especially well done.  They faked continuous shots in a manner that I still haven't figured out -- shots in which it was clearly Sam at the start and the finish but it HAD to be professional stunt man in the middle because there is no way the insurance company would led a lead actor like Sam  DO that stuff.  Ah, that was a fun ride

I really liked that movie. I will likely watch it this weekend. 

Looks like Sam's last movie -- Bloodshot -- is going to get a second try in the theaters (due to its original release being sunk by the Pandemic.)  Sam and AMC both tweeted about it.  AMC said:

BLOODSHOT released March 13th and had a 4-day theatrical run, so we're bringing it back! See @Bloodshot starring @VinDiesel  on the big screen starting 8/20 and earn double points! Get tickets now: https://bit.ly/3fUTlSS

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 1

Sam's last movie, Bloodshot, aired on one of my premium channels so I taped it and I finally watched it today.

So let's just begin by saying I am NOT the target audience for this film.  It's based on a comic book and is aimed squarely at teenaged boys and young men.  Add to that a plot element that made the first half almost unbearable for me to watch since I repeatedly spotted what I THOUGHT were major plot holes all over the place.  Then, something happens that explains some (but not all) of those plot holes and the movie gets a LOT more interesting.  I will admit that, while it became a careening mess of non-stop and inexplicable action in the second half, it was surprisingly fun to watch.  There was actual cheering in my condo (as I sat there all alone, in my PJ's, in my socially-distant living room.)

It's not a spoiler to say that Sam's character turns out to be one of the bad guys.  The movie trailer is full of images of Sam wearing augmented armor (extra arms!) fighting Vin Diesel, who is clearly the hero of the film.  And if that weren't enough, Sam's character chews gum constantly and at one point he sticks it to the underside of a conference room table (where you see a bunch of wads, so you know he has done ti before.)  Oh the humanity!  (Seriously, I hated the character after that.)

So . . . as a Sam Heughan fan, I'm glad I watched it and -- more importantly -- I suspect Sam had a LOT of fun making it.  I've heard playing the villain is often a LOT more fun than playing the hero and I assume San loved doing all the action (or as much of the action as the insurance company would let him do.)

Do I recommend it?  No.  It's not my genre and I suspect it's not a very good example of the genre (I have a BUNCH of unanswered questions about the plot.)

Was it good for Sam's career?  Uh, I don't know.  I'm glad he got the paycheck but I actually think Sam should stick to playing "good" guys, or at least guys who have some nuance to their evil.   The character he played was just a douche from start to finish and I don't think that's the kind of role that gives someone like Sam a chance to shine.  His charm is a BIG part of his appeal.  (Also Sam did an American accent throughout and that was . . . not a plus.)

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 4

Please forgive the double-post but I got a double-dose of Team-Jamie-and-Claire in other roles today.  I just finished watching "Ford vs. Ferrari" in which Caitriona had a supporting role.  It's based on a true story in which "American car designer Carroll Shelby and driver Ken Miles battle corporate interference and the laws of physics to build a revolutionary race car for Ford in order to defeat Ferrari at the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1966."  Caitriona plays the wife of Ken Miles.

I really enjoyed it and, according to IMDb, it was nominated for 4 Academy Awards including Best Picture.  Not a bad film for our Cait to be associated with! 

Edited by WatchrTina

This is your annual alert that Sam's Hallmark movie -- "A Princess for Christmas" will be on the Hallmark Channel on Friday, December 4th at 7:00AM (in my area -- Central Standard Time -- check your local listing to confirm.)

Hey, if I can watch "A Charlie Brown Christmas" dozens of times in my life (and I HAVE) then I can watch "A Princess for Christmas" more than once as well.  🙂

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I tried to post a link to Steven Cree's latest tweet but it won't work.  (Sigh)

Go look for yourself.  He's been working out, possibly as prep for his upcoming role in "A Discovery of Witches", but that isn't really clear from the tweet.  But who cares . . . he looks GREAT.  Seriously buff.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 1
On 10/21/2020 at 10:28 PM, WatchrTina said:

Please forgive the double-post but I got a double-dose of Team-Jamie-and-Claire in other roles today.  I just finished watching "Ford vs. Ferrari" in which Caitriona had a supporting role.  It's based on a true story in which "American car designer Carroll Shelby and driver Ken Miles battle corporate interference and the laws of physics to build a revolutionary race car for Ford in order to defeat Ferrari at the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1966."  Caitriona plays the wife of Ken Miles.

I really enjoyed it and, according to IMDb, it was nominated for 4 Academy Awards including Best Picture.  Not a bad film for our Cait to be associated with! 

Completely forgot she was in this until we watched it tonight. I knew that voice before I saw her!

According to IMDb, Sam has a part in an upcoming movie called "Text for You."  He's playing opposite Priyanka Chopra.  At first I assumed that this was an old, Hallmark-Channel-style movie that Sam had made in the past and that had never been released, but IMDb says it is "filming" and that it is scheduled for release in 2021.  This is the first I've heard of it so I went hunting.  Here are some links to stories about it.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/celine-dion-priyanka-chopra-jonas-text-for-you-1234816688/

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/leisure/arts-and-culture/a34508338/text-for-you-movie-priyanka-chopra-celine-dion-sam-heughan/

https://www.scotsman.com/arts-and-culture/film-and-tv/text-you-outlanders-sam-heughan-star-new-romantic-drama-release-date-and-plot-explained-3019245

As always, I'm happy to see Sam getting work but I'm not a big fan of schmoopy romances and I'm afraid that's what this is.   I know Outlander is romantic but I think it's more of a SciFi/Fantasy/Action/Adventure show with some nice, romantic elements mixed in.  That being said, I'll watch Text for You when it comes out.  Whenever it comes out.  However it comes out.  (Sigh.  I miss going to the movies.)

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 2

I agree, I think it looks pretty cheesy.  Not really my thing either.  And I think they filmed it pretty quickly, another not-so-great sign.  But hopefully it will be decent.  I doubt I'll pay to see it in theaters though.    

• Love 1
On 2/9/2021 at 9:13 AM, Beeyago said:

I agree, I think it looks pretty cheesy.  Not really my thing either.  And I think they filmed it pretty quickly, another not-so-great sign.  But hopefully it will be decent.  I doubt I'll pay to see it in theaters though.    

Not going to a theatre might not be a problem, they still aren’t even open where I live! But a romcom might be fun ( better than action).

Edited by Cdh20
Adding a thought.
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Cdh20 said:

Not going to a theatre might not be a problem, they still aren’t even open where I live! But a romcom might be fun ( better than action).

Very true.  Did you find a way to watch Men in Kilts?  First episode was fun.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Beeyago said:

Very true.  Did you find a way to watch Men in Kilts?  First episode was fun.

We are just going to figure it out in a minute, I think we can watch on the ipad tv app! 

Update -yup that worked! Was fun! 

Edited by Cdh20
adding a thought
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Beeyago said:

Yay!!  

I would have preferred it on a big tv screen for the scenery, but I am just so glad to get it for free! I thought the quipped bits were a bit scripted, but looking forward to the rest. I was creeped out by the seafood live on the boat, but I love to eat it once it’s cooked & deshelled. My hubby will certainly prefer sports & history themes. 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Beeyago said:

First episode was fun.

12 hours ago, Cdh20 said:

We are just going to figure it out in a minute, I think we can watch on the ipad tv app! 

Update -yup that worked! Was fun! 

Hooray!  I watched, too.  There is a Men in Kilts forum.  Not a lot of people over there right now, so I'm going to take my comments thatta way and try to stir up some conversation.

• Love 2
On 2/9/2021 at 9:57 AM, WatchrTina said:

According to IMDb, Sam has a part in an upcoming movie called "Text for You."  He's playing opposite Priyanka Chopra.  At first I assumed that this was an old, Hallmark-Channel-style movie that Sam had made in the past and that had never been released, but IMDb says it is "filming" and that it is scheduled for release in 2021.  This is the first I've heard of it so I went hunting.  Here are some links to stories about it.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/celine-dion-priyanka-chopra-jonas-text-for-you-1234816688/

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/leisure/arts-and-culture/a34508338/text-for-you-movie-priyanka-chopra-celine-dion-sam-heughan/

https://www.scotsman.com/arts-and-culture/film-and-tv/text-you-outlanders-sam-heughan-star-new-romantic-drama-release-date-and-plot-explained-3019245

As always, I'm happy to see Sam getting work but I'm not a big fan of schmoopy romances and I'm afraid that's what this is.   I know Outlander is romantic but I think it's more of a SciFi/Fantasy/Action/Adventure show with some nice, romantic elements mixed in.  That being said, I'll watch Text for You when it comes out.  Whenever it comes out.  However it comes out.  (Sigh.  I miss going to the movies.)

I will have to see this. I think Sam could do a lot of rom coms (although the big budget rom com isnt the thing it was 20yrs ago), and I love Priyanka- he was pretty funny in the Spy Who Dumped Me and he is certainly handsome enough to be a leading man you want to root for. This sounds like a romantic drama which would be a great fit for him. Thanks for sharing!

The movie that Sam plays Paul Newman in ( To Olivia) was released today on Sky cinema, which I think is a European or Uk channel? Maybe someone will see it & come tell us if it was good. 

• Love 1

I watched SAS Red Notice. It’s not bad. I like action movies ( context my fave action movie ever is probably Speed). There was a little character development for Tom ( Sam’s character)& also the “bad guys”. It may have been a little long, with a bit much fighting, & darkness ( I mean the lighting). Sam looks great, & there is room for sequels. 

I was cruising Amazon Prime tonight, just looking for something to watch. I noticed the show Eternal Law is available, and knowing Tobias Menzies was in it, I watched the first episode. It's a weird show that was cancelled after one series and Tobias plays a bad guy. Early shades of Black Jack are very clearly seen - particularly his penchant for chewing what remains of his soul. I can't speak to anything more about it but it was fun to see where that character started.

• Love 1

I am also watching The Nevers and I just watched a featurette on HBO-Max that shows the behind-the-scenes work by Laura Donnelly as she films a fight, in a LAKE, with a HUGE MAN, who has the advantage of being able to WALK ON WATER.  (I promise that sentence makes sense in the context of this fantasy show.)

I'm going to post the link below and hope it works.  I am very much enjoying Laura's work on this project.

https://play.hbomax.com/page/urn:hbo:page:GYICTeweHCZSmpAEAAAC1:type:extra

I seem to be tripping over Outlanders all this week.  Acorn has 22 seasons of Midsommer Murders and I have a habit of just streaming that when I clean.  Imagine my surprise to see a 2005 Sam Heughan on a season 10 episode called Kings Crystal.  Just a hint of a Scottish accent.  

Then in the middle of the night (I work odd hours remote) I have Death in Paradise on there is Loaghaire as a mistress.  I actually heard her and turned around since I knew that voice.

Those Outlanders are all over the place.

• Love 3