Type keyword(s) to search

Escaping The Stones: The Cast In Other Roles

tcay
  • Start Topic

I love this development! I was on a bus coming home from work, reading my twitter line, when I saw the announcement. I literally let out an involuntary "Oooooh!" But, fortunately our world is too weird for that reaction to draw any attention. I don't have a streaming account with Netflix, so I am not able to watch the show in real time, but I am very much looking forward to seeing his performance after the fact, on DVD.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Nidratime said:

I love this development! I was on a bus coming home from work, reading my twitter line, when I saw the announcement. I literally let out an involuntary "Oooooh!" But, fortunately our world is too weird for that reaction to draw any attention. I don't have a streaming account with Netflix, so I am not able to watch the show in real time, but I am very much looking forward to seeing his performance after the fact, on DVD.

I was in my office and I gasped out loud and said something like 'Yippee" out loud before I could get control of myself.  Also, I might have clapped a little.  Fortunately the door was closed so that little episode wasn't witnessed by any of my co-workers.

• Love 1

I just tuned into Netflix for the first episode of Jessica Jones, Season 2 and who's name should I see in the opening credits but our own Anna Foerster (i.e., the director of four of the most important Outlander episodes:  The Wedding, Both Sides Now, Wentworth Prison and To Ransom a Man's Soul.)

Oooooh goody.  This should be interesting.

For those who were wanting to catch a few familiar Outlander faces in Shetland, Netflix has seasons 1-3 streaming now. I catch myself gawking over the scenery so much that I miss half of what they’re saying. 

• Love 1

I started watching Midsomer Murders recently on Netflix and was pleasantly surprised with not only a young Sam Heughan at one point, but also a young Tobias in an earlier episode--with a young Orlando Bloom too boot. This show is a treasure trove of actors you've seen on other projects!

• Love 1
(edited)
15 hours ago, DittyDotDot said:

I started watching Midsomer Murders recently on Netflix and was pleasantly surprised with not only a young Sam Heughan at one point, but also a young Tobias in an earlier episode--with a young Orlando Bloom too boot.

Wait, what?  I watch that show devotedly on my local PBS station but I've never seen any of them in it.  I only started watching within the last couple of years so maybe they were all on in earlier seasons.  I guess now I'll have to go back and watch the older episodes on Netflix. (BTW thanks DittyDotDot for clueing me in that it is there -- I had no Idea.) 

ETA: I just went and started watching Season 1: Episode 1 of Midsomor Murders on Netflix and a character just announced that, "I shall have to go over tomorrow.  I still haven't told the bees. . . . You have to tell the bees when somebody dies.  Otherwise they just clear off."  Now THAT is some top notch synchronicity for an Outlander fan.  :)

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, WatchrTina said:

Wait, what?  I watch that show devotedly on my local PBS station but I've never seen any of them in it.  I only started watching within the last couple of years so maybe they were all on in earlier seasons.  I guess now I'll have to go back and watch the older episodes on Netflix.

Tobias was in, I think, a S3 episode and Sam was in a S10 episode. I recognized Tobias right off, but it took me a bit with Sam. The early seasons, especially, have a lot of familiar actors in them from many shows I've watched over the years. 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, DittyDotDot said:

I recognized Tobias right off, but it took me a bit with Sam.

I was channel surfing last year or so and stopped on MM. Sam looked so familiar as well so I kept wondering and I had to IMDB it. He looked very pretty and blond in his appearance. Not a lot of range in the character, but good to catch him on an earlier role. 

• Love 1
(edited)
16 hours ago, WatchrTina said:

Wait, what?  I watch that show devotedly on my local PBS station but I've never seen any of them in it.  I only started watching within the last couple of years so maybe they were all on in earlier seasons.  I guess now I'll have to go back and watch the older episodes on Netflix. (BTW thanks DittyDotDot for clueing me in that it is there -- I had no Idea.) 

ETA: I just went and started watching Season 1: Episode 1 of Midsomor Murders on Netflix and a character just announced that, "I shall have to go over tomorrow.  I still haven't told the bees. . . . You have to tell the bees when somebody dies.  Otherwise they just clear off."  Now THAT is some top notch synchronicity for an Outlander fan.  :)

In a freakish coincidence, I watched that very episode just last night.  I grinned like an idiot.  

Unfortunately, I didn't love the show despite really wanting to.  

Edited by toolazy
  • Love 1

I spent today binge-watching Midsomer Murders and I just hit the episode with Tobias and Orlando Bloom.  What a treat!  They were so YOUNG!  Based on IMDb it looks like this was Tobias' 3rd professional gig.  That just goes to show that he's been playing villains from the start (his and Orlando's characters break in to houses and steal things).  It is Orlando's 4th professional credit and the very next role he landed was Legolas in Lord of the Rings.  The rest, as they say, is history.

In the next bit of spooky synchronicity, the estate where one of the characters in the episode lives is named "Lothlorien" and the characters in the episode even comment on how it is named after a place in Lord of the Rings.  I do wonder if that bit was part of the original script or if they added it to the episode as a wink to the fact that one of the very young actors in the episode (who dies early in the story and doesn't even get a credit at the start) had just been cast in Peter Jackson's epic LotR.  If it wasn't a deliberate wink, it's a hell of a coincidence.

It does make me wonder how Tobias must have felt to watch his younger (by 3 years) colleague land such a major role in a major motion picture.  Tobias has had a long and impressive career including stints on HBO's Rome and Game of Thrones -- not to mention his taking over the role of Prince Phillip in the next two seasons of The Crown on Netflix -- but it is still interesting to note the different trajectories of his and Orlando's careers.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 1

I did see “The Spy who Dumped Me”- it was very cute! A nice summer popcorn flick with my Mom. If you like buddy comedies I recommend it. Sam looked very handsome although I think he’s better looking with the red hair. 

Edited by Scarlett45
  • Love 1

Well, I cheated and skipped ahead in my Midsomer Murders marathon to get to the episode that Sam is in.  It's an homage to Hamlet complete with a dead father, a mother who marries her late husband's brother, a brooding son (Sam), feigned madness, and murder.

The episode aired in 2007 so Sam was was 26 or 27 when it was filmed -- a bit older than Jamie is at the start of Outlander.  All I can say is thank goodness they decided to cast a 30-something Sam to play 20-something Jamie because 26-year-old Sam was WAY too pretty and fresh-faced to play Jamie.  Sheesh, he was so lean back then his cheekbones could cut glass.  And if I think he was too pretty to play Jamie at 22 there's no way he could have put on a wig with some grey in it 3 years later and, at age 29, convincingly play late-40-something Jamie in season 3 (much less 50-something Jamie in later seasons).  No, the Outlander role came along at just the right moment for Sam.

It was really interesting to watch Sam perform in that Midsomer Murders role.  There was one uncomfortable moment where I thought Sam's acting suddenly got really bad -- it was over-the-top in a cringe-inducing way.  Then the scene moved on and I realized that the character Sam was playing was the bad actor -- he was deliberately behaving in a weird, over-the-top manner to drive away the woman who loves him (a la Ophelia in Hamlet).  Whew!  I hated that moment of thinking poorly of Sam's acting choices.  

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 1

My friends & I took our teenagers to the Spy Who Dumped Me last night! The 19 yr old girls think Sam is hotter as a blonde & without a kilt! The movie was fun! Lucky Mila - kissing Sam at work & Ashton at home! 

Diana shared this (video tribute to Sam Heughan called "Forever Young") on Facebook but for those of you who don't Facebook (or don't follow Diana) I'm sharing it here.  I'm not sure this is the best place to post this but since most of the footage in this video highlights Sam in roles other than Jamie, I think this makes sense.  I have to say I chortled with glee throughout the whole thing.  It was particularly apt for me to see this today after having waxed poetic on young Sam above.

Hmmmmm.  I tried imbedding the video and it didn't work.  Let me try just showing the link to YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xr2J_FZbnig

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 1

Midsummer Murders was the only thing I could find out of Sam’s work on Netflix, so watched that awhile ago, & then the new movie last weekend Have not seen anyone else in anything, perhaps because I live in Canada & they will have mostly appeared in British shows?

On 8/5/2018 at 10:53 AM, WatchrTina said:

Well, I cheated and skipped ahead in my Midsomer Murders marathon to get to the episode that Sam is in.  It's an homage to Hamlet complete with a dead father, a mother who marries her late husband's brother, a brooding son (Sam), feigned madness, and murder.

Yeah, I remember the whole episode being a modern day Hamlet, with a play within the play, to boot! They do quite a few homages on the show. It's not the most complex show, but I enjoy certain aspects of it.

In a sort of tangential aside: a couple episodes after Sam's episode--The Axeman Cometh--has James Cosmo who, in this episode, is a pretty good image of what I imagined older Jamie to look like when I read the books. 

• Love 1

I read where Joss Whedon has cast Laura Donnelly as a lead in his new HBO sci-fi series, The Nevers.  Joss is a fan of developing strong women characters and Laura’s portrayal of Jenny fit right into that groove. 

• Love 1

Laura Donnelly has been nominated for a Tony (and she won an Olivier for the same role last year)!

Best Leading Actress in a Play
Annette Bening, All My Sons
Laura Donnelly, The Ferryman
Elaine May, The Waverly Gallery
Janet McTeer, Bernhardt/Hamlet
Laurie Metcalf, Hillary and Clinton
Heidi Schreck, What the Constitution Means to Me

(edited)

So I was just watching an absolutely terrible episode of "Grantchester" on Masterpiece Mystery and resolving to stop recording it and to delete the remaining episodes unwatched, when who do I spy as a new clergyman in the neighborhood but Tom Brittney.  You know him better as the young English soldier -- Lt. Jeremy Foster -- who comes to Claire's aid in "Rent" in season 1 and who dies at the Battle of Prestonpans at the hands of Dougal MacKenzie. So I did a bit of digging and it appear that James Norton is leaving his role as the Vicar in "Grantchester" and Tom Brittney is stepping into the role.

Okay, fine.  I'll watch.

But seriously, episode 4.2 of Grantchester was pure, irrational dreck.  If I want to watch an English clergyman inexplicably involved in solving crimes, the Father Brown series does it with much more humor and plausibility.

Still, happy to see our Tom Brittney landing in a leading role.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 1

This is actually a case of the CREW in other roles but today I am binge-watching Carnival Row on Amazon Prime and who do I spy as the director of the third episode but our own Anna Foerster!

Oh wait . . . there is also an Outlander CAST connection.  Andrew Gower (Outlander's Bonny Prince Charlie) also has a recurring role in Carnival Row.  Alas, he's playing a colossal wanker AGAIN.

If you like Outlander's blend of historical fiction and fantasy you might also like Carnival Row, though it leans MUCH more heavily into fantasy.  The female lead is a fairy . . . with wings and everything.  And a large percentage of the extras in the street scenes are sporting rams horns.  Every now and then you even spot a centaur or two.  So suspend disbelief before you tune in.

So . . .after I finished my binge-watch of Carnival Row (mentioned above) I decided to start a binge-watch of the new, "Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance" series on Netflix.  It is a prequel to the "Dark Crystal" movie that came out in the 1982.  I'm old enough that I saw the original in a movie theater.  And yeah, it's still done with muppets and puppets (plus 21st century special effects) and it's still a deeply mind-trippy thing to watch.

The REASON I found out about it is that Caitriona recommended it on Twitter.  What I've since discovered is that the reason she recommended it is that she voices one of the characters.  Once I figured out which one it is, I can't help but hear Claire whenever she speaks.

I'll be honest, when I took yesterday off and turned on the TV I didn't realize there would be so many magical creatures in my future.  There've been lots and LOTS of fairies on my screen this weekend (though in the world of the Dark Crystal they're called Gelflings.)

Edited by WatchrTina
It's on Netflix, not Amazon Prime
  • Love 1
On 8/22/2019 at 4:42 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Tobias Menzies is in a new series called This Way Up. It's about a woman named Aine. Tobias plays Richard, the father of a French student she is tutoring.

I though he was playing Prince Phillip in The Crown?  Or maybe he is doing both.

So there I am, I'm enjoying Season 20, Episode 4 of Midsomer Murders ("The Lions of Causton") when who do I spy with my little eye but Richard Rankin (our Roger Wakefield).  It's an episode that revolves around a rugby team so there is eye-candy a-plenty in addition to our boy Rick.  It reminded me of a particularly lovely moment in my life when I had just boarded a plane from New Zealand to Australia only to see the New Zealand national rugby team (the "All Blacks") come aboard.  I was already seated so all those professionally buff bums were passing right by me at just about eye-level.  (No-one has better butts than professional rugby players.)  Sigh.  Memories.

But I digress.  I was happy to see that our boy Richard had a key role in the episode.  It was nice to hear his natural accent (he didn't tone it down at ALL since the show was being made for broadcast in Great Britain).  He looked good (as always.)  But his character was a bit of a wanker so that was hard on Roger-loving me.

• Love 1

The overlap between Outlander and Midsomer Murders continues.  Episode 5 of Season 20 of Midsomer Murders features Colin McFarlane (Outlander's Ulysses) and Episode 6 features Andrew Gower (Outlander's "Bonnie" Prince Charles Edward Stuart).  And of course every episode this season features Annette Badland (Outlander's Mrs. Fitzgibbons) in her recurring role as the medical examiner/coroner.

It was really quite mind-trippy for me so see all that overlap.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 1
On 11/3/2019 at 1:13 PM, WatchrTina said:

The overlap between Outlander and Midsomer Murders continues.  Episode 5 of Season 20 of Midsomer Murders features Colin McFarlane (Outlander's Ulysses) and Episode 6 features Andrew Gower (Outlander's "Bonnie" Prince Charles Edward Stuart).  And of course every episode this season features Annette Badland (Outlander's Mrs. Fitzgibbons) in her recurring role as the medical examiner/coroner.

It was really quite mind-trippy for me so see all that overlap.

Sam Heughan and Tobias Menzies also show up in that show. It's wild.

• Love 1

Trying to paste in a tweet from Sam. Let's see if this works.

Whooo hoo!  I figured it out!

And whoo hoo, Sam got another movie gig!  To be clear, the movie is about Roald Dahl and Patricia Neal.  Sam plays Paul Newman (who I presume was a friend and/or work colleague of theirs.)

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 2

Just finished bingeing Shetland with Doug Henshall including appearances by Angus (Stephen Walters) and Ned Gowan (Bill Paterson - who is of course also the father in Fleabag). Sadly the new seasons are a ways off.

Tobias' role in This Way Up is very reminiscent of his awkward Dr Harries character in Catastrophe but he's nicer as Richard. I saw an interview with Tobias where he says basically he has no comedic timing so he just stays deadpan and they write funny characters around him. 

• Useful 1

I am not enjoying season 3 of The Crown. Recasting was a horrible idea. My hubby is calling Phillip Frank & I am calling him Jack, lol! Can you imagine if they recast Jamie & Claire when they aged 20 yrs? 

• LOL 1

Yay for Sam as Paul Newman!  I was a teenager in the 60s and saw Hud with Paul and Patricia Neal when it was in theaters. Since Patricia Neal won an Oscar for her role in that movie, maybe this new film will include a meaty part for Sam. 

Of course, Sam would tower over Paul in real life but baby blues, baby. 

• Love 1

The good news?  Sam has a leading role in the new Vin Diesel vehicle, Bloodshot.  He is featured heavily in the trailer.

The bad news?  It opened during the Corona Virus lockdown so the grosses are likely to be terrible and it will do less to increase Sam's profile than it might otherwise have done.

But there is alway's on-demand.

On 3/28/2020 at 2:12 PM, WatchrTina said:

The good news?  Sam has a leading role in the new Vin Diesel vehicle, Bloodshot.  He is featured heavily in the trailer.

The bad news?  It opened during the Corona Virus lockdown so the grosses are likely to be terrible and it will do less to increase Sam's profile than it might otherwise have done.

But there is alway's on-demand.

Yes, but with so many movies going to on demand for rent instead of to theatres it may make decent money in rentals. Studios know no one can go to the movies now- they moved their A list films to another time (like Fast 9). 

Not another role per se...

Right before the quarantine started, we ordered a treadmill for our home.  It arrived last week, and we assembled it and started using it (of course).  It has this really fun, interactive feature where you can take pre-programmed runs and hikes all over various worldwide locations.  For instance, I hiked Mt. Fuji last week.  Yesterday, I heard a familiar voice coming from the room where we put the treadmill, so I walked in and found my husband hiking through the Scottish Highlands with Graham McTavish.  Well, I squealed in excitement, but my husband, who is a non-watcher, wasn't nearly as pumped about touring Scotland with Dougal MacKenzie.  

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, SassAndSnacks said:

Not another role per se...

Right before the quarantine started, we ordered a treadmill for our home.  It arrived last week, and we assembled it and started using it (of course).  It has this really fun, interactive feature where you can take pre-programmed runs and hikes all over various worldwide locations.  For instance, I hiked Mt. Fuji last week.  Yesterday, I heard a familiar voice coming from the room where we put the treadmill, so I walked in and found my husband hiking through the Scottish Highlands with Graham McTavish.  Well, I squealed in excitement, but my husband, who is a non-watcher, wasn't nearly as pumped about touring Scotland with Dougal MacKenzie.  

You don't make your husband watch Outlander? (I know-really that was my take away from your post, LOL). You should do that right away....

• LOL 2