Type keyword(s) to search

Escaping The Stones: The Cast In Other Roles

tcay
  • Start Topic

Yeah, my husband watched the first ep and I was in the room at the time and I am just not into it.  And I'm a huge Buffy fan too!  Mr. Morgan couldn't get into it either. 

• Love 1

I'm really loving "Preacher," but can totally see why others mightn't.  Based on the episode review from Project Fandom, I think McTavish's role will be larger than the brief introduction in "See" would indicate:

Before any of the armchair psychology and ultraviolence, “See” opened with the highly anticipated introduction of

Spoiler

The Saint of Killers

(Graham McTavish). As a fan of the comic book, his small debut was as perfect as it can get. Catlin is certain to expound on [his] background as the series progresses so you won’t find any spoilers in these reviews.

• Love 1

Tobias Menzies reprised his role as Edmure Tully in the past couple of weeks and he said this to Jamie Lannister:

"How do you tell yourself that you're decent, after everything that you've done?"

What irony to hear those words coming out of a face that looks very much like Black Jack Randall.

• Love 3
(edited)

So I tried watching the Amazon Prime show "Catastrophe" -- a romanic comedy series that alternates between being funny/sweet and funny/OMG I can't watch these awful people and I'm embarrassed that I'm laughing.  Tobias Menzies has a role in two episodes of season one (he's really good but the character he plays is AWFUL) and I decided I had to at least watch enough of season 2 to see the episode where (according to IMDb) he turns up again.

I feel so trolled.  One of the characters decides to "experiment" with anonymous gay sex and arranges to meet someone at a notorious gay hook-up bar and his "date" turns out to be Tobias Menzies EXCEPT ALL I CAN SEE IS BLACK JACK RANDALL RUN AWAY RUN AWAY!  Thankfully the character reads my mind, panics and leaves.  I watched three torturous half-hour episodes for a 30-second glimpse of Tobias that freaked me out.  Totally trolled.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 3

I once saw Sam do an interview on Youtube where he apologized to his fans for the movie A Princess for Christmas.  I have my DVR set to record anything he's in, and lo and behold, it's taping A Princess for Christmas on 7/10 at noon on the Hallmark channel.   Bring it on, Sam!  Let's see how bad it really is!

• Love 1
On 7/4/2016 at 2:37 PM, Wouldofshouldof said:

I once saw Sam do an interview on Youtube where he apologized to his fans for the movie A Princess for Christmas.  I have my DVR set to record anything he's in, and lo and behold, it's taping A Princess for Christmas on 7/10 at noon on the Hallmark channel.   Bring it on, Sam!  Let's see how bad it really is!

It's as syrupy sweet as you can imagine because duh Hallmark Channel. Have fun watching.

Just wanted to let everyone know that Shetland is back on PBS.  Last week was the first episode of S3 and it was excellent. Doug Henshall is wonderful.  Bill Paterson (our beloved Ned) plays his father so he may make an appearance at some point during the season.  

It is a great way to pass some Droughtlander time, especially since there is often actor crossover from Outlander in the smaller roles. It airs on Sunday nights so check your local PBS listing!

Edited by chocolatetruffle
to correct spelling

Also, Abbey, if you are searching PBS online you might try to look for other stations in your area that might not be your "primary" one. I know in my area (SoCal) we have a couple to choose from. The PBS website gives me a choice of a few different ones besides the "primary" one. For me, "Shetland" is being shown on a different PBS station than I would have considered "primary." I'm classifying the one PBS station as "primary" since it shows the earliest viewings of stuff like Masterpiece and other PBS Sunday drama series, which I get through DirectTV. The other stations are also on my DTV and might be either a few days or a week behind on new programming and also air random stuff (ex: old "Sherlock" or "Whitechapel") that wasn't aired recently on the "primary" station. I'm not really sure how they decide who shows what and when though. Oh, and the Roku "PBS" app? "Shetland" isn't on there either, that I can find.

Edit: Heh. Checked the Roku app after posting, it does let me change my "local" station to one of the others so disregard my comment about that.

Edited by Glaze Crazy
  • Love 1

thank you Morgan and glaze crazy. I hadn't thought of the library (and shame on me!) so I will give that a try.  We only have the one PBS station in my area so unfortunately there aren't any other ones for me to try. Hopefully I will have luck at the library.

I'm binging on Doctor Who on Christmas Eve-Eve and just hit the submarine episode from the Matt Smith era that features Tobais in a supporting role (in bad guy mode -- you mistrust him from the first moment).  What I hadn't recollected is that it also features Liam Cunningham (Ser Davos Seaworth from Game of Thrones).

When fandoms collide!   I'm just hugging myself with glee.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 2

So my SO started watching a Scottish comedy called Burnistoun, which is a sort of ensemble thing that's a cross between a sitcom and Monty Python. It's only okay, but imagine my surprise when cutie Richard Rankin showed up.  He's pretty good in it and so freaking adorable!

Here is the IMDB link.

• Love 1

I watched the 1st season of Burnistoun on youtube a while back. Richard Rankin plays a pretty good straight man to the crazyness of the main 2 actors/comedians. One thing I will say is that a couple of the different but ongoing character bits of the main actors end up connecting at the end of the first season and is pretty clever.

• Love 1

Wil Johnson, who has been cast as Joe Abernathy in Season 3 of Outlander is currently appearing at the Old Vic Theatre in London in Tom Stoppard's "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead."  Wil is in a supporting role (Claudius).  The title role of Rosencrantz is being played by Daniel Radcliffe.

I'm watching the first episode of season 2 of "Into the Badlands," a post-apocolyptic tale on AMC and who do I spy but our own Stephen Walters (Angus Mhor on Outlander).  The American accent he's using nearly threw me but it's him.  What a nice surprise!  He is not, however, playing a nice character.

Edited by WatchrTina

I haven't been able to see Tobias' part in Catastrophe this season (s3), although I would imagine it's still gif-able (like last season's cameo). If anyone has, I'd love to know the scene breakdown.

(edited)

I finally had time to watch David Berry's other current series, A Place To Call Home, on Acorn TV via Amazon Prime Video, and it is well worth the watch. I binged through the four seasons/series released to date, and it is a really well done show.

What makes it interesting is that like Tobias with GoT, David is filming both that show, now filming its fifth series, and Outlander at the same time. And it's clear the camera loves Mr. Berry. He really is gorgeous on screen.

Edited by theschnauzers
  • Love 1
On 6/21/2017 at 3:49 PM, theschnauzers said:

I finally had time to watch David Berry's other current series, A Place To Call Home, on Acorn TV via Amazon Prime Video, and it is well worth the watch. I binged through the four seasons/series released to date, and it is a really well done show.

What makes it interesting is that like Tobias with GoT, David is filming both that show, now filming its fifth series, and Outlander at the same time. And it's clear the camera loves Mr. Berry. He really is gorgeous on screen.

Thank you for posting about this. I'd never heard of AcornTV, but I'm glad to know of it now (even if the last thing I need is another subscription). :)

I'm working my way thru series 1 and agree that he's wonderful, as is the show. Really looking forward to seeing him in Outlander! 

I just watched a movie on Amazon Prime, "Not Another Happy Ending."  One of the leads is Stanley Weber and Gary Lewis plays the father of the lead actress, who has fiery red hair.  It takes place in Scotland.  Oh, the degrees of separation.

Not too long ago, I purchased the full series of Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman. (Don't judge.) So, I'm sitting watching a second season episode and what name pops up in the credits? Toni Graphia as a co-producer. She appears to have a long history with fictional, women doctors!

• Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, Nidratime said:

Not too long ago, I purchased the full series of Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman. (Don't judge.) So, I'm sitting watching a second season episode and what name pops up in the credits? Toni Graphia as a co-producer. She appears to have a long history with fictional, women doctors!

Why would anyone judge? I LOOOVED Dr. Quinn, and❤️????❤️ Sully ❤️????❤️and Dr. Mike and...and...hmmm...mmmm...oh yeah...and yes! Good and ridonkulous doctor stuff...um...what was the question again??

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 1
(edited)

I just finished watching Masterpiece Mystery's prequel to the Prime Suspect series -- called Prime Suspect 1973 on IMDb but called Prime Suspect:  Tennison in my TV listings.  Anyway, there was a young, brunette actress playing Jane Tennison's younger sister and I finally, in the last episode, realized it war our Rosie Day (Mary Hawkins).  It's funny how the modern clothes and a different personality (Jane's little sister was much more outspoken and opinionated than our Mary) can make an actor disappear into a role even when their appearance is hardly changed at all.

I enjoyed the series but it can't compare to the original Prime Suspect series starting Helen Mirren.  I just made me want to watch that series all over again.

Edited by WatchrTina

I've just discovered that the 2014 movie "Heart of Lightness" featuring Sam Heughan, Rosie Day, and Laura Donnelly is now available for streaming on Amazon Prime.  Well I guess I know what I'm doing Friday night.

• Love 1

Well, I finally got to see "Heart of Lightness."  What an interesting, if odd little film.  It's a movie about making a movie and it cuts back and forth between the movie being made (based on Henrik Ibsen's play "The Lady from the Sea") and scenes of the actors off-camera, hanging out, rehearsing, and generally mucking about.  I got the distinct impression that the  "off-camera" scenes were all improvised -- the tone is very naturalistic -- while the scenes from the movie-with-the-movie are clearly scripted and quite formal -- more like a stage play than a movie.  There's a scene at the very beginning -- before the opening credits -- that is set back-stage after a performance of the Ibsen play, when a movie director invites the cast of the play to come to Norway and do a movie version of it.  The sound is completely screwed up in that scene.  You can hear two tracks of dialog from the scene playing simultaneously, with the actors' delivery and timing being slightly different in each so that their words overlap.  I assume it's a mistake because if that was a deliberate artistic choice was a poor one.  Still it's odd it wasn't fixed.  Thankfully, that never happens again.  After the opening credits the cast arrive in  Norway (in summer -- the sun hardly ever sets) and they set about making the movie.  It's worth sticking around just to see the scenery -- it's flat-out gorgeous.  The other interesting thing is that roles the actors play in the movie-within-the-movie mirror their "real" behavior off-set. There is also a Norwegian film crew who are seen from time to time but you never get to know anything about them because for some reason their dialog is not translated and subtitled.  Again, I can't figure out if that was a creative choice or just a flaw in the print.  Furthermore, I watched it with closed captions turned on due to the poor sound quality at the very beginning and some of the captions for the English dialog are laughably incorrect.  These technical issues give the movie a fairly amateurish feel, which is too bad because I think the concept was cool.  Then again, I'm not sure it's an original concept -- didn't "The French Lieutenant's Woman" do it first?

Anyway, it was fun to see Sam, Laura, and Rosie showing off their acting chops in a very different milieu.  If you need a fix of team Outlander before the return of the show next month (I can't wait!) check out "Heart of Lightness."

ETA:  So I woke up this morning thinking about Ibsen (as you do) and I suddenly recollected that I have a collection of Ibsen plays on my bookshelf somewhere.  Found it but, alas, "The Lady from the Sea" was not one of them.  Still, it was fun to read the introduction to see where that play fits in the whole Ibsen oeuvre.  

And in keeping with the whole mind-trippiness of the movie, here's clip of Sam denying any involvement in the film https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbregOYJkEw

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 1

Here's a link to a "Just Jared" story about the movie Sam is currently filming, "The Spy Who Dumped Me."  I'm freaking out slightly because Sam has cut his hair and gone back to blonde for the role.  I'm glad that he's getting interesting work (especially since the film he made during the last hiatus  -- When the Starlight Ends -- looks like it will never be released) but he looks so much like Alexander Skarsgard (and so NOT like our JAMMF) in these photos that it's just freaky.

http://www.justjared.com/2017/09/02/sam-heughan-films-spy-who-dumped-me-scenes-in-amsterdam-with-mila-kunis-kate-mckinnon/

On 9/3/2017 at 11:14 PM, WatchrTina said:

Here's a link to a "Just Jared" story about the movie Sam is currently filming, "The Spy Who Dumped Me."  I'm freaking out slightly because Sam has cut his hair and gone back to blonde for the role.  I'm glad that he's getting interesting work (especially since the film he made during the last hiatus  -- When the Starlight Ends -- looks like it will never be released) but he looks so much like Alexander Skarsgard (and so NOT like our JAMMF) in these photos that it's just freaky.

http://www.justjared.com/2017/09/02/sam-heughan-films-spy-who-dumped-me-scenes-in-amsterdam-with-mila-kunis-kate-mckinnon/

He's a very handsome man. 

I started to watch a movie over the weekend called "Heart of Lightness" starring Sam, Laura Donnelly, and Rosie Day.  I had to turn it off after less than 15 minutes, it was so boring.  I don't blame the actors, just the story.  Nothing was happening, and conversations weren't even making sense.

ETA:  Just saw @WatchrTina post about it above.  Sorry, but I couldn't watch it.  "Odd" is a good way to describe it. ;-) 

Edited by FnkyChkn34

The guy that played Lord Dunsaney is also the same guy who plays Lord Royce in Game of Thrones. I would never have noticed, but my husband recognized him (mostly because of his voice).

• Love 2
1 minute ago, ElsieH said:

The guy that played Lord Dunsaney is also the same guy who plays Lord Royce in Game of Thrones. I would never have noticed, but my husband recognized him (mostly because of his voice).

Did he also recognize Tobias Menzies as Edmure Tully? 

1 hour ago, ElsieH said:

I didn't notice either!  

I just got a notice on Facebook that Sam's movie, "Emulsion" is available for rental from Amazon Video.  I saw it once in a movie theater (special screening for fans -- primarily Sam's fans) and I wouldn't mind seeing it again (I suspect it's one of those movies that is very different the 2nd time you watch).  But it's pay-per-view and right now I'm annoyed that it's not included in Amazon Prime, which I already pay for.  Harrumph!

Anyway -- if you haven't seen it before, it's now available there.

I finally was able to watch Heart Of Lightness on amazon.  There are technical obstacles to enjoying the film at it's beginning, but Laura Donnelly in particular really shines when acting out the Gibsen play amidst the stunning Norwegian scenery.  I think the 'film within the film' could have been really great, but the framing device just doesn't work.

• Love 1

According to this article, the two actors who were associated with this project are no longer solely attached to it, but I sure hope that changes and Sam gets to do it on his break.

'My Oxford Year' Is Being Made Into A Romance With Melissa Benoist & Sam Heughan, And You Can Start Reading It Now

https://www.bustle.com/p/my-oxford-year-is-being-made-into-a-romance-with-melissa-benoist-sam-heughan-you-can-start-reading-it-now-5527037

17 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Watching Nell Hudson, Laoghaire or “Leg-Haire” in PBS’ “Victoria”. Seems she is playing a seamstress (I’m behind just watching episode 1 season 1 now). 

She's also in season two. It's strange to see her play a character I like. LOL

• Love 1