Type keyword(s) to search

Escaping The Stones: The Cast In Other Roles

tcay
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Tobias is cast as an unemotional gynecologist in a couple of episodes of the new Amazon Prime romantic comedy, Catastrophe, about an American guy who gets a British woman pregnant.

I was watching it with my husband, who'd refused to watch Outlander, especially after he's heard about the jail scenes with Tobias. When Tobias showed up on the screen I laughed and said, "There is no escape!"

Tobias is good and funny, but there isn't much for him to do in the role.

Edited by Cramps

I watched Catastrophe when it aired in the UK. His character is hilariously deadpan.

I thought they would have the character amend his frank ways after Sharon and Rob freaked at him but nope. Hee.

I am in the US and admittedly have never heard of nearly all the cast of Outlander.  Now that I'm obsessed, I found a Pinterest board that has video clips of all the films/work Sam has been in and it seems like he has been in a lot of things!  

My question to the UK/European posters on this site, had you heard of or were familiar with Sam prior to Outlander?

• Love 1
(edited)

Tobias has been retweeting some complimentary tweets he's gotten about his appearance in an AmazonPrime show called "Catastrophe" so I started watching today.    In a nutshell, boy meets girl while in London on a business trip, boy has lots and lots of sex with girl, boy goes home to America and then get's a phone call 6 weeks later that she's pregnant, boy gets transferred to London to be supportive and figure out what happens next.

Tobias plays the "second opinion' Ob/Gyn they see regarding a complication with the pregnancy.  I'll admit, I laughed a lot during that scene -- because he's just AWFUL.  Insensitive, thoughtless, smug.  Bit over-the-top really, which I find is often the case with British comedy though Seinfeld is a US show very much of that ilk.  Much of the humor in this show is that sort of excruciating humor that comes from shining a light on human foibles but the main couple are adorable and believable so I'm hanging in for now.

I presume we've seen the last of Tobias -- at least I hope so because while his performance was terrific the character he played is just awful.  

ETA:  Nope, they actually keep him as their doctor.  His performance is perfect.  I want verra much to punch him in his smug face.  In other news, I'm laughing.  A lot.  But I'm kind of ashamed of myself for finding awful people funny.

Edited by WatchrTina

I caught "A Princess For Christmas" last night that Sam is in.  Yikes.  Don't even know where to begin, I realize it was a Hallmark movie but.....I almost couldn't watch it because I was cringing so much for Sam.  The awkward dancing scene, I know it was supposed to be awkward but I could barely watch my hunky Jamie Fraser looking like such a dork.  And Sam should never wear tight, white riding pants.  Ever.  But then......every so often he slipped into his Scottish accent and made a "Jamie-like" face or look and I could deal.  My apologies to those of you who enjoyed the movie, but for me, just....no....

Also, I watched a PBS show called "Shetland", it was a modern day detective/mystery show set in Scotland and it starred none other than our McQuarry.  Almost didn't recognize him, he looks so different.  And guess who else had a small part? Willie!  Again, almost didn't recognize him as he had a bit of a scruffy beard and modern clothes, but as soon as he spoke I knew it was him.  Kind of neat and the show was pretty good, too. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Summer, I came across Shetland for the first time a month or so ago and enjoyed it. Ned Gowan (Bill Paterson) also has a role in it. Fun to come across him.

Edited by morgan
  • Love 1
(edited)

Morgan-Aw, Ned is in Shetland, too??  It's like an Outlander reunion!  I will continue watching, really enjoyed it and all the Outlander cameos are icing on the cake!

Edited by Summer
  • Love 1

I watched the first Episode of Shetland last night and Doug Henshall is terrific. Almost didn't recognize our Willie under the uber-beard, and will continue to watch because I must see our Ned. Also in the first episode there is a character named Catriona and another named Bain!

• Love 1
(edited)

I caught "A Princess For Christmas" last night that Sam is in.  Yikes.  Don't even know where to begin, I realize it was a Hallmark movie but.....I almost couldn't watch it because I was cringing so much for Sam.  The awkward dancing scene, I know it was supposed to be awkward but I could barely watch my hunky Jamie Fraser looking like such a dork.  And Sam should never wear tight, white riding pants.  Ever.  But then......every so often he slipped into his Scottish accent and made a "Jamie-like" face or look and I could deal.  My apologies to those of you who enjoyed the movie, but for me, just....no....

Ha, I watched it (again), too! So much low-budget cheese! I think you could go to Central Park and find sturdier, grander looking carriages for riding off into the sunset, compared to what this movie used for the "royal wedding". In the awards thread, I saw concern expressed about how let down Sam might feel, if he's snubbed on Emmy morning. I'm sure he'd be disappointed on some level, yes, but probably still very grateful his career has come a long way from the days of playing Prince Ashton!

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 3

I actually DVR'd A Princess for Christmas because I wanted to see SH in another role.  It's a Hallmark movie, and that thought, along with a nice glass of cheap wine, is all I needed to get through it.  My one takeaway:

OMG, that dude is beautiful. With his corporate hair and soft voice and no been-sleeping-in-the-bushes chin scruff?  Sam Heughan is one beautiful man.  (And, like a lot of actors I've come to like (*coughScottBakulacough*), is completely capable of being the best thing in a bad movie.)

• Love 1

So I'm watching S2 Episode 3 of Shetland and I hear a man's voice that sounds verra familiar.  The camera comes in close on his face and its Steven Cree aka Ian Murray!!  I didn't recognize his face at first because he has a beard and shorter hair, but the voice was unmistakeable.  Clearly, someone in the casting department is a fan of this show.

• Love 2
(edited)

I just recently found out that Graham McTavish is in a movie that filmed in my town last summer and I hadn't even heard of Outlander last year!   They filmed in several locations around town, I could have had the chance to meet him,  wahhhhhh!!! 

Actually, one of the actors from the movie walked into my office (i'm in real estate) to ask about homes.  His name was Damien Bachir, he is a Mexican actor.  I googled him after he left and found out he was in the TV show Weeds, was nominated for an Oscar a few years ago and is a  HUGE celebrity in Mexico.  He was really nice he stopped in my office again on his way to the airport to give me a gift basket his agent gave him because he couldn't take it on the plane with him.  Had no clue who he was.

Would have loved to had a chance to see Graham, though....

Edited by Summer
  • Love 1

Watched Shetland last night and all three of our boys (McQuarry, Willie and Ian) were in the same scene together!  Got the biggest kick out of seeing McQuarry and Ian interact in their modern clothes when I only remember them from the episodes at Lallybroch.  And Willie, apparently, is a bit of a scoundrel, it appears he dumped his fiancee and left her with a broken heart.  

I am really enjoying this show but I have the HARDEST time understanding them!  I need to switch on the closed captioning so I can follow the story....

And sort of off topic, but I follow Terry Dresbach on Twitter and I tweeted to her that I thought Ron seemed like the most even tempered, down to earth guy and she tweeted back to me saying "He is, the only thing that brings out his other side is putting together IKEA furniture"  LOL!  Really cool that she tweeted back to me :)  

• Love 5

I caught "A Princess For Christmas" last night that Sam is in.  Yikes.  Don't even know where to begin, I realize it was a Hallmark movie but.....I almost couldn't watch it because I was cringing so much for Sam.  The awkward dancing scene, I know it was supposed to be awkward but I could barely watch my hunky Jamie Fraser looking like such a dork.  And Sam should never wear tight, white riding pants.  Ever.  But then......every so often he slipped into his Scottish accent and made a "Jamie-like" face or look and I could deal.  My apologies to those of you who enjoyed the movie, but for me, just....no....

Beyond awful! The lead actress kept slipping out of her American accent as well. And the kids were terrible. Oof. Only for you, Sam. Only for you.

• Love 3

I am finally getting back to watching Merlin and lo and behold we have a young druid girl being saved by Merlin.  Wow she looks familiar, and then I see her in a better lighted scene and there is no mistaking the doe eyes of Laura Donnelly. The Lady of the Lake, Season 2 episode 9

• Love 1

Sam Heughan is going to star with Supergirl's Melissa Benoist in a romantic drama movie called "Oxford."

I gotta be honest, I think he might be one of the few TV actors I could see breaking through to the movies in a big way, if he gets a good part some day.

It will be interesting to see which way Sam's career goes.  Both Cait & Sam made movies during the hiatus.  Cait's was a supporting role in film with big stars (George Clooney & Julia Roberts.)  Sam's was a leading role in a small, independent film.  Sam strikes me as the kind of actor who might just prefer the indie-film circuit.  Either way, it will be fun to watch.  

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 1

I read an interesting interview with Patrick Stewart in which he noted that in the UK, there is no differentiation between acting in film or in television.  They are considered equally prestigious.  He was surprised to come to the US and find out that his Star Trek TV role was considered a step backward by folks here.  If that is the case, Sam may well be open to future television work if the role is right.

• Love 1

He was surprised to come to the US and find out that his Star Trek TV role was considered a step backward

That was true at the time of Star Trek TNG but the pendulum keeps swinging back and forth.  I've read recently that we are considered to be in a golden age of television and as a result many prestigious film actors are choosing to take TV roles (e.g., two-time Academy Award winner Kevin Spacey taking the lead role in Netflix's House of Cards.)

• Love 1

In the UK, there has always been quality TV roles and shows. The BAFTAs give Best Drama awards to sci-fi shows. They have always viewed TV differently than Americans. American TV has only become prestigious the last 15 years with the rise of the cable networks and Netflix. I think most actors - who start out in TV on both sides of the pond - are successful when they get regular and mostly interesting work either on TV or film. With British actors, the stage is another venue since almost all of them are classically trained.

One of my all time favorite movies is "Comfort And Joy" starring Bill Paterson. How thrilled I was to see him in Outlander! His voice is so distinctive even after all these years I knew him immediately. The movie is a must for any Scot-o-phile.

1984: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002W19VA?qid=1444955903&ref_=sr_1_2&s=movies-tv&sr=1-2

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087072/

Edited by Quickbeam
  • Love 2

Oh my gosh, Bill Patterson is in "Comfort and Joy"?  I recall seeing it in the theater 30 years ago.  I found it odd and confusing and off-putting.  And then afterward my friend and I started talking about it and it got funnier and funnier the more we reminisced about it.  The absurdity of the humor just snuck up on us.  We sat there cackling in the restaurant thinking about it.

Tobias has been cast as a "Lycan leader" (i.e., an alpha werewolf) in the next iteration of the "Underworld" werewolf/vampire movie series, 

http://www.slashfilm.com/underworld-5-begins-shooting/

I wonder if Tobias has done heavy prosthetic work before?  If not, this should be an interesting experience.  (Unless it's all done with CGI in which case he may have an interesting motion-capture acting challenge in his future.)

• Love 1

Tonight I attended my first film as part of the Austin Film Festival.  It was a collection of short films and the very first one was set in Glasgow, Scotland.  Funnily enough it was about a woman in a writer's group who is writing a "romance" novel -- a genre that some of the other women in the group disparage. (Hmmm, where have I heard that before?)  One of the group pipes up to defend the author and I thought, "Hey, I know that voice!"  Sure enough, it was our Mrs Baird, the landlady at the boarding house in episode one (played by Kathryn Howden.)  Small world.

Note to GHScorpiosRule -- they all pronounced book as "buik", just like Sam.  ;)

• Love 2

I just finished watching BBC series The Syndicate (I sought it out because Richard Rankin **sigh**  stars in it, was only able to find it on YouTube) The priest who listens to Claire's confession as the Abby (Brother Ambrose? can't remember name) was in it.  He played an art historian, took me a few minutes to realize it was him.  It's always so funny to me how different the Outlander actors look in modern clothes :)

Edited by Summer

Okay, this is cute.  It's a behind-the-scenes look at the making of "A Princess for Christmas".  I have to say I am NOT the target audience for this movie (since I am neither a regular viewer of the The Hallmark Channel, nor am I a 10-year-old girl) but I get the sense that Sam and the rest of the cast had a good time making this movie, so I'm happy for them.  I'm sure Sam has had some miserable acting gigs in his life (he talked at the last ComicCon about how everyone was sick all through the making of Young Alexander) so I'm happy to learn that this gig gave him the opportunity to see some beautiful places and work with nice people in a cordial environment.  

https://vimeo.com/album/1661048/video/56723621

• Love 1

Tobias' streaming show on AmazonPrime, "Catastrophe," was selected as one of the top 10 TV shows of the year by one of the critics in Entertainment Weekly's year-end double issue touting the best and worst of 2015.  Tobias only has a supporting role in that show -- I think he's in two episodes -- but still, it's nice to have one's work applauded.  He's certainly having a good week (his Golden Globe nomination for Outlander came out earlier this week.)

Edited by WatchrTina

It will be interesting to see which way Sam's career goes.  Both Cait & Sam made movies during the hiatus.  Cait's was a supporting role in film with big stars (George Clooney & Julia Roberts.)  Sam's was a leading role in a small, independent film.  Sam strikes me as the kind of actor who might just prefer the indie-film circuit.  Either way, it will be fun to watch.  

Cait landed a role in the upcoming George Clooney/Julia Roberts flick Money Monster, and she even made the trailer!

I learned about this movie just yesterday.  IMDB had Julia Roberts and Caitriona Balfe listed first; today it's Clooney and Balfe.  Thanks for the trailer link, Dejana.  Looks good!  

Edited by zoey1996
  • Love 1

Last night on "Grantchester" (part of the "Masterpiece Mystery" series on PBS) I spotted Rosie Day, a.k.a our Mary Hawkins.  She was very effective as the wistful and big-eyed ingenue being buffeted by events beyond her control in that story, so I think we can look forward to her doing well in Outlander.

Tobias Menzies has smaller role in the "The Night Manager", a British miniseries starring Tom Hiddleston and Hugh Laurie. It aired on the BBC recently, but has started its US run on AMC. I recommend it mostly for the suspense, the pretty cinematography, and if you appreciate Hiddleston and Laurie.

• Love 1

I really enjoyed Money Monster, and I thought Balfe was very good in it.  I liked that her first high-profile role was directed by Jodie Foster, who is very good at letting women be strong in her stories, rather than some bit part as some guy's sidekick.  She is such a strong Claire that a typical Hollywood background role would have been both jarring and disappointing.

11 hours ago, Archery said:

I really enjoyed Money Monster, and I thought Balfe was very good in it.  I liked that her first high-profile role was directed by Jodie Foster, who is very good at letting women be strong in her stories, rather than some bit part as some guy's sidekick.  She is such a strong Claire that a typical Hollywood background role would have been both jarring and disappointing.

I assume that she was using her natural accent -- Balfe's character in Money Monster has a lovely Irish lilt. (Interesting that both Dominic West and Jack O'Connell are Brits who played more-or-less American characters!)

On 4/21/2016 at 3:05 PM, Athena said:

Tobias Menzies has smaller role in the "The Night Manager", a British miniseries starring Tom Hiddleston and Hugh Laurie. It aired on the BBC recently, but has started its US run on AMC. I recommend it mostly for the suspense, the pretty cinematography, and if you appreciate Hiddleston and Laurie.

I found this show by accident, and since I loooooove Loki Hiddleston, I totally watched it. Well, the first episode anyway. Then life and work got in the way and I haven't had a chance to see more.  Also, for those that watch Game of Thrones, Menzies returned, albeit for like, five seconds, in chains, as Edmure Tully. I'd totally forgotten about seeing him there. Well, The Red Wedding did have that effect on me. I was traumatized. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Well I just watched two episodes of "Preacher" on AMC because I heard it was good but mostly because I heard Graham MacTavish was in it.  Uh . . . I'm not quite sure what to say.  Graham is in it.  In the second episode. For about 2 minutes in a prologue section.  There is exactly 1 shot in which his face is clearly visible so you can recognize him (underneath a long stringy wig).  And he has one line.  Perhaps he is following in the footsteps of Mark Hamill in "The Force Awakens" and we're just seeing a glimpse of a character whose impact will be deep and broad in future episodes.  I sure hope so because otherwise that is a blink-and-you'll-miss-it-role.

As for the show . . . uh . . . I'm not sure what to say.  It's weird.  There are forces from outer space at work and vampires and vampire hunters and a guy whose face looks like an asshole.  Seriously.  They call him ass-face and he has to drink all his nourishment through a straw.  It's all . . . a bit much.  And I say that as someone who LIKES vampire stories (hello Buffy fans!) and who likes surreal stuff (hello X-Files fans!) and who can handle a fair amount of violence and blood (hello Kill Bill fans!).  But this was almost too much.  I'll watch one more episode to see if Graham's role expands but I'm doing it out of fan loyalty and not because I'm expecting to enjoy it.

Edited by WatchrTina
(edited)
8 minutes ago, WatchrTina said:

As for the show . . . uh . . . I'm not sure what to say.  It's weird.  There are forces from outer space and vampires and vampire hunters and a guy whose face looks like an asshole.  Seriously.  They call him ass-face and he has to drink all his nourishment through a straw.  It's all . . . a bit much.

Against my better judgment, I had to Google "ass-face". I don't know what I was expecting, but I can't say you didn't warn me. 

Edited by Zella
I just realized I confused Preacher with another show
  • Love 1