Type keyword(s) to search

The All You Can Eat Buffet: My 600 Pound Life All Episode Discussion

• Start Topic

When watching this show I can't help but wonder what type of insurance these people have. I just spent $548.00 for a medication I've taken since the age of 15 for thyroid disease. It's a generic, not name brand. It hasn't ever been this expensive but prescription prices are ridiculous these days. I have private insurance through United Healthcare (Obamacare) and pay $420.00 a month for gold plan coverage. Gold is the second highest of the plans. I can't afford platinum. I don't make enough money for a subsidy. Go figure.

Getting insured counseling is near impossible with Anthem BCBS and United Healthcare. Many of these patients don't work. How the heck are they able to stay in a hospital for extended periods of time and have multiple surgeries? Not to mention the cost of an ambulance ride.

I have my own food issues and I'm glad they are receiving the help they need. But when it comes to money, it seriously blows my mind.

Does anyone know how much gastric bypass surgery costs? Not just the surgery but also the facility fees and pain meds?

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't all this covered under disability.  This covers surgeries including skin removal, a caregiver which is why a family member or spouse is often shown doing it as they are being paid, pays for their food, yep all that fast food, personal trainers, counselling sessions and ambulance rides?  And so it is tax dollars at work.

• Love 1
(edited)

Does anyone know how much gastric bypass surgery costs? Not just the surgery but also the facility fees and pain meds?

For cash payments, my surgeon charges a flat rate of $17k for the bypass, $10,500 for the sleeve, and $8,900 for the lap band, which includes everything, even follow-up visits for the next three years (although I think the pain meds are extra, but you only get a couple as the pain only lasts a couple of days, heck, I saved most of mine for cramps or other pain issues, LOL).  I got the sleeve and insurance covered it, but between him and the facility, my insurance was billed about $99k.  I think insurance paid about $12k and I ended up paying about $1,000 (by the way, getting insurance to pay is an odyssey in an of itself).

Edited to add: My surgeon offers a really good deal, people come from all over the country to have him do their surgery because of his prices.  People also go to Mexico for this surgery and I hear it can be as cheap as $4,900.

Edited by notyrmomma
  • Love 2

Hi cousinoliver. Thanks for unsorting and you are right about the two shows. But I could swear Larry went to a clinic. Didn't they buy him a special wheelchair that he was insulted about because it was so large? 

I've been trying to find out who the wheelchair guy is, but I cannot seem to find much about Brookhaven.  I have found several small time blogs and random comments on WLS boards about "that guy" who had an attitude about the $8000 wheelchair, but none of them seem to have a name attached.  It's just $8000 wheelchair guy.  Maybe his name wasn't given?

It looks like all the residents who participated are listed on the "Inside Brookhaven Obesity Clinic" IMDB page and a Larry Cooper is not among them.  But I can't say for certain that he wasn't there.  A search for "Larry Cooper Brookhaven Obesity Clinic" returned nothing of value.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1846130/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast

Someone has posted the first two episodes of Brookhaven on YT (albeit a video of his screen, rather charming), and it does not seem like this scene was in the first two show episodes. 

For those that are wondering about Larry, I have found this clip from the show.  I think Larry is amazingly honest about why he eats in this clip; for him, it makes everything all right.  Sad, but his truth. 

https://youtu.be/pQ742Da8T2o

I tried to find the table scene mentioned up thread, but cannot find it.  If anyone knows where to find the full episode of "I eat 33,000 calories a day" or all six "Inside Brookhaven Obesity Clinic" shows, let me know.  

• Love 1

For a while I was following a very large woman on YT. She went thru Atkins, and a couple of other programs online before going to Mexico for bypass. Everything seemed okay for awhile,  but then she had all kinds of medical issues. I'm not saying the Mexican surgeon was bad, I am saying that this is a big deal operation and I'm sure all kinds of problems can rear their ugly heads afterward. She had a lot of ups and downs, some hospital time, etc. I think she is still happy to have lost weight, but also recognizes that it came at a high physical cost. 

Wow, I just looked for some recent videos of her to see how much weight she'd lost and she's in the hospital again. This must be 2 years now after her surgery. She doesn't look thin or average weight; she still looks quite plump, but she was almost 500 lbs before, so there is a difference. I'm sorry to see things have gotten rough for her again. It's not an easy ride, is it, folks?

• Love 4

I am one of those who think far too many patients jump into this surgery as a quick fix. It ain't quite the "fix" most think it is. There is some major rewiring of the body that happens and if the patient doesn't rewire their brains a lot of complications will follow.

We lost a co-worker a few weeks ago who was never able to retrain her brain to deal correctly with her new digestive system. Maybe once a month you could find her in the office bathroom vomiting. The ambulance was called for her all the time. She just couldn't stop herself from eating the huge portions and the fast food and the soda. No matter how sick it made her, she just kept behaving like the fat girl she was trying to leave behind. Really sad.

Most of Dr Now's patients don't seem ready to make that change. They seem to feel owed an easy out to a mess they've made. If anything I hope this shows that's it's better to not eat yourself into this situation.

• Love 6

I don't really like Dr. Now and while he is brave to tackle people who cannot get surgery elsewhere, he doesn't really understand the psychological side of the people he is dealing with. When I heard him say "no carbs" to a couple of people, I don't think he realizes that for most of us, no carbs at all is very difficult if not impossible. I myself have been a vegetarian since age 8, so I would find it difficult to have no carbs at all.

I do feel sorry for the people on the show and the people who care for them. It is a very complex issue and we can never know what is inside someone's mind. I am struggling with my weight and when I read how every fat person immediately loses tons of weight if they put in the slightest effort, I want to throw something at the screen.

I weigh around 200 now, but it has taken me an entire year of exercising 5 days per week for 1 1/2 hours a day and a very strict eating plan to lose 60 pounds. Now my weight is pretty stuck and I am trying different things. Age, medications, activity levels, metabolism all play a part. Yes, overeating was a factor, but not the only factor. 

I don't feel most of these people are trying to take the easy way out. They may have tried dieting so many times that they feel doomed to fail; and most of them will. It is frustrating for everyone around and their are no easy answers.

• Love 8

I am one of those who think far too many patients jump into this surgery as a quick fix. It ain't quite the "fix" most think it is. There is some major rewiring of the body that happens and if the patient doesn't rewire their brains a lot of complications will follow.

We lost a co-worker a few weeks ago who was never able to retrain her brain to deal correctly with her new digestive system. Maybe once a month you could find her in the office bathroom vomiting. The ambulance was called for her all the time. She just couldn't stop herself from eating the huge portions and the fast food and the soda. No matter how sick it made her, she just kept behaving like the fat girl she was trying to leave behind. Really sad.

Most of Dr Now's patients don't seem ready to make that change. They seem to feel owed an easy out to a mess they've made. If anything I hope this shows that's it's better to not eat yourself into this situation.

That was such a shame about your coworker.  How long was this after her surgery?  Maybe she had some other medical issues, too?

My coworker passed maybe two years after her surgery. She never looked well after the procedure. She looked gaunt and sickly all the time.

Seems the medical coverage on the job covers the surgery because there's like an entire community of folks who've had bypass or lap band surgery. Most of the women still have somewhat full faces and a healthy hue.

• Love 1

I don't really like Dr. Now and while he is brave to tackle people who cannot get surgery elsewhere, he doesn't really understand the psychological side of the people he is dealing with. When I heard him say "no carbs" to a couple of people, I don't think he realizes that for most of us, no carbs at all is very difficult if not impossible. I myself have been a vegetarian since age 8, so I would find it difficult to have no carbs at all.

I do feel sorry for the people on the show and the people who care for them. It is a very complex issue and we can never know what is inside someone's mind. I am struggling with my weight and when I read how every fat person immediately loses tons of weight if they put in the slightest effort, I want to throw something at the screen.

I weigh around 200 now, but it has taken me an entire year of exercising 5 days per week for 1 1/2 hours a day and a very strict eating plan to lose 60 pounds. Now my weight is pretty stuck and I am trying different things. Age, medications, activity levels, metabolism all play a part. Yes, overeating was a factor, but not the only factor. 

I don't feel most of these people are trying to take the easy way out. They may have tried dieting so many times that they feel doomed to fail; and most of them will. It is frustrating for everyone around and their are no easy answers.

I knew the woman (now deceased) who created one of the most innovative exercise programs of all time. She was the first who recognized that using weights along with aerobic movement burns a lot more fat, even when you are resting.   Her original programs changed my life both physically and mentally.     She one told me that the equation for success was really 75% eating, 25% exercise.   

Age can be a factor though, but until peri-menopause hits (each person is different going thru that too) you could get results that you never dreamed possible.

The bottom line is changing your eating habits for good, no diets.   The good news is that new habits can be formed in under a month.

What doesn't help in our present lives, is that people want what they want, when they want it, usually in huge quanities and have forgotten how to say no. Everyone has an excuse or someone or something to blame. The trick is the less is more approach.   Be honest with ourselves, learn how to say no and recognize the food we should not be eating and get rid of it for good.       A simple technique is to use one of the plastic dishes that frozen meals come in and use it as a reminder of what a portion should be.

Even a person who has gone thru terrible trauma can benefit as the more weight they lose, the more empowered and better they feel and are more apt to really deal and work on their pasts.

Its hard work, but its totally healthy work that the weight loss surgeries cannot claim.

• Love 5

Brooklynista, do you know if the bypass is more invasive than the lapband or sleeve?  

And do you remember Carnie Wilson getting a bypass?  About 5 years later, she then had the lapband.  Unfortunately, she still looks quite a bit overweight. 

Edited by MsVixen
  • Love 2

I do weight training along with cardio and I do not ever eat huge portions of food. Not all solutions work perfectly for all people. Weight gain and/or loss is individual and people's results vary. I know many people who have lost weight and everyone did it at a different pace and with different results. I'm not suggesting a person who went through trauma would not benefit from losing weight; I'm suggesting that no one knows what is going on in a person's life, or how that persons body works. 

• Love 6

I do weight training along with cardio and I do not ever eat huge portions of food. Not all solutions work perfectly for all people. Weight gain and/or loss is individual and people's results vary. I know many people who have lost weight and everyone did it at a different pace and with different results. I'm not suggesting a person who went through trauma would not benefit from losing weight; I'm suggesting that no one knows what is going on in a person's life, or how that persons body works. 

I totally agree.   I wasnt responding to you personally as in what you are doing, but in general terms after being involved in non surgical weight loss for decades.

When having bypass surgery, does the patient lose a lot of vitamins that the body needs? I noticed that a lot the people on this show and "Fat Doctor" look very sickly after having the surgery. 

On "Fat Doctor," there was a woman who had the surgery, but gained the weight back and more. She also had a "transfer of addiction" as the psychologist said, to alcohol. I think that the patients should have extensive therapy before and after the surgery. The way they deal with life is through food, and that is not possible anymore. 

There was also a 17-year-old boy who got the bypass surgery, which shocked me. I think he was close to 400 lbs, but that seems pretty young. 

I think the problem with a lot of these patients is that they think the bypass is a quick fix. They have to change their mindset about food before they even go under the knife. Those cravings will almost always be there after surgery. With that thought, there was a lady, on "Fat Doctor," named Sharon, who was 600 lbs and who got the surgery, but she became sick afterwards and died. It was found out that she developed anorexia. She stopped eating to lose weight. She was at least over 300 lbs when she died. Her mother said that she lost feeling in her hands and feet because she was not getting the nutrients that she needs. I think that amazed me because I know that I always think of someone who is anorexic to be very skinny. Her mother also said that her daughter didn't want to eat anymore because she loved the feeling of losing weight and getting thinner. It's sad when your mentality that surrounds food is hard to change when you want to save your life. More therapy is definitely needed.

This is Sharon's story:

• Love 1

Sharon's story is doubly sad because when she died, the tabloids called her the fattest woman in Britain, when she was no longer that big. They also said her family was bringing her food in the hospital, when apparently that wasn't the case. She got a lot of negative press when she died, and she didn't deserve it.

• Love 1

Reading and seeing Sharon's story really made me think and I thank you for doing it and for others comments.  I kind of hate to post my story because it is one not originating with being overweight.  I was only about 90 lbs when I went in hospital last year with a years old ulcer, which when active, did not allow me to eat.  I'd been sick for months with no help, and had something else going on but until a sister consented to care for my dogs and take me to hospital I was stuck.  When I got there I learned I also had a twisted small intestine and eventually was operated upon to try and clear it.  My problem is it is very hard to get very much food to go down and once eaten, days for it to go through the digestive tract.  It is very uncomfortable indeed.  One good meal and you don't eat again for days.  Then you have to be sure it goes thru the intestine after it gets out of the stomach.  I am starved for nutrition, and have a lot of vitamins I am supposed to take but often don't because they hit the stomach like a big meal.  You can feel them there, and they don't break down properly.  I am weak.  I take boost when I have some, and got some V8 today to try, but this is a problem that won't go away.  Oddly, and maddenly, I had to tell them in the hospital after about 10 day of IVs to fix my dehydration problem that I really needed nutrition.  Why should I have to tell them that?  Why wouldn't they have added nutrients without my bitching?  I had to ask for the obvious all the time for my husband as well, and now I am good and alone.  No one fights for me. I'd rather die than go to care, and I'm too "rich" to get home help a few hours a few times a week.  You know, basic housework and some trips to the store.  So what the heck???  Believe me I feel for you folks on the weight issue, and the reason I started watching and reading is that the pouch effect seemed like it would be similar to me.  You just can't eat.  Plus in my case then I have to make sure it comes out the other end.  Good grief.  I had wondered how those who continue overeating can possibly do so.  I can't.  And I know a spaghetti or coke would come right up, so things like that make me turn my head.  I love it, but wouldn't eat it for the world.  Anyway, glad the rest of Sharon's family did so well, and glad so many of you are working on your issues one way or another.  Be well.

• Love 3

Thank you for the kind suggestion.  I really do need fuel--nutrients to make me strong.  And you are right, I don't have anorexia but do need nutrition.  I don't have to eat everything, but do need suggestions.  Maybe force down jello once or twice a day with my one eating session.  Was good today.  Had some chicken (bar b que), cottage cheese, beans.  Not a lot but enough.  And it doesn't hurt so far.

• Love 2

There is a recent scene from 'Game of Thrones' where Tyrion is vomiting from drinking too much, then goes right back to chugging more as soon as he stands up again. I thought of this show when I saw that.

My daughter, age 33, sustained a severe brain injury at age 19 secondary to cardiac arrest. We have struggled with her weight and food obsession ever since. At the time of her injury, she (5'2" tall) weighed around 130 lbs. She currently weighs about 240 & could easily be one of the morbidly super-obese people seen on this show. I see so much of the same behaviors in her as the people struggling with their relationship with eating. She wants to eat to relieve boredom, to try to alleviate loneliness & depression. It seems that her brain never sends the signal that she is satiated and she begs for more food constantly. Emily watches the show with me and wants to have the surgery, but I keep explaining that it only deals with actual physical hunger & wouldn't work on someone like her, for whom food is her best friend & preferred form of recreational activity. We do the best we can to not be her enablers, but it is a constant battle from the minute her eyes open until she is asleep. She is an extremely charming manipulator if she can find an unsuspecting "victim" to provide her with a "fix". I wish so badly that there were a magic wand for these people; it can such a miserable existence Sorry about the novel, folks...thanks for letting me vent!

• Love 7
Thank you for the kind suggestion.  I really do need fuel--nutrients to make me strong.  And you are right, I don't have anorexia but do need nutrition.  I don't have to eat everything, but do need suggestions.  Maybe force down jello once or twice a day with my one eating session.  Was good today.  Had some chicken (bar b que), cottage cheese, beans.  Not a lot but enough.  And it doesn't hurt so far.

Sorry to hear about that, Micks Picks. That sounds awful but am glad you found help. What sound irritating and annoying is that it took so long for anyone to diagnose you, which is very problematic.

As for the nutrients, this is going to sound very weird, but my dog has a similar issue to this, regarding nutrients. Let me explain. I have a German Shepherd that has pancreatic insufficiency. Basically, her pancreas does not produce the enzymes (Amylase, Protease, Lipase) necessarily for proper food digestion and more importantly - nutrient absorbtion. Before she was diagnosed, she lost 30 lbs and was emaciated.

How did we "fix" her? Adding powered enzymes to her food. She's perfectly fine now. I mentioned this because I have seen these digestive enzymes for sale for humans in pill form in the organics/herbal suppliements section of my supermarket. It's just a thought, but I wonder if you haven't done this yet, adding digestive enzymes as a supplement when you eat a meal(if you don't already do this), could it help? Like, it will help your body extract more of the food nutrients that you need, and therefore for you to absorb into your system. And then a diet of foods that are easy to pull nutrients from?? I'm just throwing it out there. But I had a starving dog that was skin and bones and a simple powder on her food helped her, so there you are. The same can be purchased in pill form, so that could help.

She wants to eat to relieve boredom, to try to alleviate loneliness & depression. It seems that her brain never sends the signal that she is satiated and she begs for more food constantly.

Sorry about your daugher, RuthThomas. That is something that maybe we forget. I do eat when bored, but I will stop because I feel full and the thought of more food is just off-putting. And I am sure there are a lot of people who eat a big restaurant meal and literally feel like they will explode if one takes another bite. I've had times where I feel like if I take another bite, I will be sick (again, heavy restaurant meals). So imagine if one DOESN'T have that feeling. You just eat and eat and whatever, eat because what else is there to do? But she has you, so that is a huge positive.

• Love 2

My daughter, age 33, sustained a severe brain injury at age 19 secondary to cardiac arrest. We have struggled with her weight and food obsession ever since. At the time of her injury, she (5'2" tall) weighed around 130 lbs. She currently weighs about 240 & could easily be one of the morbidly super-obese people seen on this show. I see so much of the same behaviors in her as the people struggling with their relationship with eating. She wants to eat to relieve boredom, to try to alleviate loneliness & depression. It seems that her brain never sends the signal that she is satiated and she begs for more food constantly. Emily watches the show with me and wants to have the surgery, but I keep explaining that it only deals with actual physical hunger & wouldn't work on someone like her, for whom food is her best friend & preferred form of recreational activity. We do the best we can to not be her enablers, but it is a constant battle from the minute her eyes open until she is asleep. She is an extremely charming manipulator if she can find an unsuspecting "victim" to provide her with a "fix". I wish so badly that there were a magic wand for these people; it can such a miserable existence Sorry about the novel, folks...thanks for letting me vent!

Please please please don't base your knowledge of bariatric surgery on just watching this show.  I firmly believe most of what they show these people eating post surgery is bullshit TV Drama.  I had the vertical sleeve gastrectomy in Sept, and I am down 107 lbs of this morning.  Believe me, food WAS my friend and my favorite past time.  Also, I have multiple sclerosis and, especially when I was +100 lbs, I didn't get out much.  True, the surgery doesn't change your brain, but it does change your taste buds and SEVERELY limits the amount you can eat....for 99% of the population that is, there are always exceptions.  If you really want to know what people REALLY go through after bariatric surgery, check out www.obesityhelp.com and/or bariatricpal.com.  Don't discount surgery just because of an eating addiction - we all have it. 

• Love 3

Halcyon, thanks so much for the idea and I will be sure to get some, as it sure can't hurt.  I don't take my calcium, vitamin C and chondriton and regular multi vitamin like I should because they go in and feel like a darned meal.  They don't break down right.  I want to see if I can find any in a capsule with the powdered stuff or a gel.  I can take my eye vitamins no problem but they are a squishy gel.  And no, I don't mind the comparison to a dog!  They have the same organs we do and while not all treatments are the same, many are.  In fact, I can't think of anything my own dogs have taken that I could not, but some things people take, they can't.  My dogs have always been my soul mates, I swear, the reason why I decide to live and get up and do as much as I can.  Bless you, and thank you Cherrio as well.

• Love 2

Halcyon, thanks so much for the idea and I will be sure to get some, as it sure can't hurt.  I don't take my calcium, vitamin C and chondriton and regular multi vitamin like I should because they go in and feel like a darned meal.  They don't break down right.  I want to see if I can find any in a capsule with the powdered stuff or a gel.  I can take my eye vitamins no problem but they are a squishy gel.  And no, I don't mind the comparison to a dog!  They have the same organs we do and while not all treatments are the same, many are.  In fact, I can't think of anything my own dogs have taken that I could not, but some things people take, they can't.  My dogs have always been my soul mates, I swear, the reason why I decide to live and get up and do as much as I can.  Bless you, and thank you Cherrio as well.

Oh well, I really hope it helps. With vitamins, don't the nutritionists say that a multivitimin isn't really absorbed well by the body anyway? The stomach just grinds up the food into smaller particles, but the digestive enzymes in the colon are what takes that grinded up food, breaks it down and extracts the good stuff out of it to be absorbed in the body. That's why I think (I hope) maybe a supplement like that could help you. Just compare and find one that has the highest IU or CFU for each of the different enzymes. You may have to try different ones to find a good one and experiment with how to take it (pill form, remove the powder from a pill).

For the vitamins, I am sure I've seen a liquid form - like you take it via dropper - again in the organics section.

Yeah, most stuff for dogs is the same for humans, just priced even more because they can. For my GSD, I found that a combination of the very expensive vet prescribed animal derived powder, plus a veggie based one from a pet store works wonders. I'm providing the link to the veggie based one so you can scroll down and read the breakdown of the enzymes in the package, and the amounts, because you should try to find a pill (or powder) where the amounts are higher, best bang for buck. NaturVet Digestive Enzymes

I know - doggies are awesome. I love mine to death. She's my baby. What kind of dogs do you have? I really really hope maybe this will work for you, Mick's Picks. Let me/us know if it does. Big hugs to you!

I watched about four eps of this show yesterday and it was hard not to feel judgy... and stabby. The main thing that alarmed me (besides skin infections and inability to bathe oneself) was the doctor's advice and treatment. All I heard him say was things like "no fat" or "no carbs", and in a couple of instances only after they had failed to lose following surgery he referred them to therapy.

First of all, where is the nutritional counselling? Fat and carbs are not the problem - I doubt any one of these people got to 600 pounds from drizzling a bit of walnut oil on their salad greens, or having steel cut oats for breakfast. It's the type of fat and carbs they consume, and of course the amount. Who is teaching them about getting maximum value and fuel from their calories? One woman was hospitalized and we saw her "diet" meal of a nice heaping portion of string beans along with what looked to me a fair portion of baked chicken and possibly a small starch serving on the side. It was not starvation mode and it had lots of fiber and lean protein, which helps one to feel full. So why is that not being taught for the patients to do at home? Or is it, and I just caught four eps that didn't really cover it? The people at home were eating complete shit, pardon my french.

Second, why on earth would ALL these patients not receive therapy BEFORE surgery? Sorry if this sounds really judgmental but imo you don't eat yourself into a full blown disability and health crisis without having some major issues that need dealing with. Seems to me it would be far more beneficial to get every one of these people the mental health help and nutritional/fitness counselling they need before deciding on surgery, so they have someone on their side to help them through the process. Some of them might not even need surgery so much as intensive treatment, even in-patient. Of course, that's less money in the pocket of the surgeon. :/

I don't know. The whole thing just left me shaking my head because the patients didn't seem to be getting great care. Anyone else?

Don't get me started on the enablers...

And the really judgy voice inside my head wondered how these people could afford to eat so much. Fast food and junk food isn't cheap when you're buying mountains of it. Maybe they need financial counselling, too? Like some life skills classes? This clearly is not just about the size of their stomachs. IMO.

(sorry for the wall of text, it bugged me all night)

• Love 3

Having watched all three seasons' worth while on the treadmill over the past few months, I've actually come full circle. In the beginning I was sputtering and fuming, but the more episodes I watched the more I suspect that a great deal of it is manipulated to cause exactly that reaction. We aren't seeing anything even close to the whole story as to how these patients are selected, what their comorbidities or real medical histories are, what kind of counseling and education they're given, or how staged their eating scenes are...for all we know the production crew puts that mountain of fried glop in front of them and yells, "Action!"

Reality television never is reality, because real life moves too slowly. Would we watch a show where someone lost five pounds through diet and exercise over six weeks? We're only seeing what little they've filmed that fits a predetermined narrative that's designed to maximize the outrage. So I really can't judge much anymore.

Except Penny. I'm going to have to make an exception for her!

• Love 3
Second, why on earth would ALL these patients not receive therapy BEFORE surgery? Sorry if this sounds really judgmental but imo you don't eat yourself into a full blown disability and health crisis without having some major issues that need dealing with. Seems to me it would be far more beneficial to get every one of these people the mental health help and nutritional/fitness counselling they need before deciding on surgery, so they have someone on their side to help them through the process. Some of them might not even need surgery so much as intensive treatment, even in-patient. Of course, that's less money in the pocket of the surgeon. :/

I don't know about the people on this show, but in the real world most insurances require 2 years or so of therapy/psych counseling before you can even get approved for the surgery.  That's why my best friend (who was overweight but not morbidly obese by any standards) went to Mexico to get her gastric sleeve done. It cost only $8000 (which is probably about what you'd pay in copays to get it done in the US), was done by an excellent surgeon, and didn't require her to jump through any hoops.  I don't recommend this, because I think especially for the morbidly obese the counseling is absolutely necessary. For my friend, it wasn't. She's been super successful with hers and has lost all the weight she wanted to in less than a year.  She, however, is an exception.  She was already in the appropriate mindset to do it and knew what she'd be taking on.  For others, like those we've seen on the show, a deep dive into their psyches should be a requirement, not an option.

And for the record, I watch my friend eat a few bites at every meal. Never more than a few ounces at any one sitting. I can't even fathom how people like Penny are able to shovel food in after this surgery. They must force themselves to push through the pain. It's amazing.

Edited by Pixel
  • Love 3

I don't know about the people on this show, but in the real world most insurances require 2 years or so of therapy/psych counseling before you can even get approved for the surgery.  That's why my best friend (who was overweight but not morbidly obese by any standards) went to Mexico to get her gastric sleeve done. It cost only $8000 (which is probably about what you'd pay in copays to get it done in the US), was done by an excellent surgeon, and didn't require her to jump through any hoops.  I don't recommend this, because I think especially for the morbidly obese the counseling is absolutely necessary. For my friend, it wasn't. She's been super successful with hers and has lost all the weight she wanted to in less than a year.  She, however, is an exception.  She was already in the appropriate mindset to do it and knew what she'd be taking on.  For others, like those we've seen on the show, a deep dive into their psyches should be a requirement, not an option.

And for the record, I watch my friend eat a few bites at every meal. Never more than a few ounces at any one sitting. I can't even fathom how people like Penny are able to shovel food in after this surgery. They must force themselves to push through the pain. It's amazing.

My insurance required me to prove I tried dieting for six months (I gave them nearly a year's worth of Weight Watchers weigh-ins, which they found acceptable), pass a psych evaluation, and have a BMI of over 40 or over 35 with co-morbidities.  Every insurance, even every plan in the same insurance company, is different.  My sister's insurance wants her to be on a doctor supervised diet for three years before she can get bariatric surgery.  

Also, it is so true that you can only eat a couple bites at a time...this has been my argument ALL ALONG!  This season I am convinced that this show is fake. 

• Love 4

I've noticed that in many of the scenes of people eating high fat foods after their surgery we see them take a few bites.  We don't see them finish the meal.  I do think that much of that is staged for reality TV as are some of the before surgery eating binges.  I particularly find suspicious Chay eating while they movers were carrying furniture, Nissa and her husband (cannot remember his name even though he was the focus of the episode) at a restaurant with a table full of fried food and Zsalynn tonguing a cream-filled doughnut then settling onto the couch with a box filled with a dozen doughnuts.  

• Love 1
I've noticed that in many of the scenes of people eating high fat foods after their surgery we see them take a few bites.  We don't see them finish the meal.

Right. I don't know if it's staged for the show or if they have a mental pathology that makes them gorge anyway. In order to stay as fat as Penny does, you'd have to be working overtime to circumvent the surgery.  And eventually, I suppose your stomach stretches back to a bigger size if you keep packing it full.

My friend can eat anything at all she wants to, she just can't eat more than a few bites of it. It's definitely possible to eat enough calories to gain weight after the surgery - you can suck on chocolate milkshakes all day or shove nothing but carbs in your mouth every couple of hours, but it takes a huge effort to do it.  The one thing she's never been able to resume eating/drinking is carbonated beverages. 8 months out they still cause her discomfort if she even tries. 

• Love 2

Having watched all three seasons' worth while on the treadmill over the past few months, I've actually come full circle. In the beginning I was sputtering and fuming, but the more episodes I watched the more I suspect that a great deal of it is manipulated to cause exactly that reaction. We aren't seeing anything even close to the whole story as to how these patients are selected, what their comorbidities or real medical histories are, what kind of counseling and education they're given, or how staged their eating scenes are...for all we know the production crew puts that mountain of fried glop in front of them and yells, "Action!"

Reality television never is reality, because real life moves too slowly. Would we watch a show where someone lost five pounds through diet and exercise over six weeks? We're only seeing what little they've filmed that fits a predetermined narrative that's designed to maximize the outrage. So I really can't judge much anymore.

Except Penny. I'm going to have to make an exception for her!

But see that's what upset me, I think. It honestly bugged me all night. Fat shaming and deriding overweight people is socially acceptable, unfortunately, and the four eps I saw last night featured lots and lots and lots of scenes and shots where the patients were eating crap, engaging in really unhealthy and destructive behaviors, acting out, being non-compliant... as you say, "maximum outrage". And yet it seems pretty goddamn gross to show all that without mentioning the counselling they may have received, nutritional guidance, what treatment came before the decision to seek surgery, what is being done to educate the enablers, etc. I don't need to see an hour of someone losing five pounds, but there was plenty of opportunity to slip in some facts and balance about the "journey". All I saw was some people in desperate need of way more than a surgical procedure, and I include the enablers in that. It made me sad that I didn't see more helping and support for the root issues, not the weight (which was a symptom, imo). For example, a couple of the people went home after surgery and the caregivers were still cooking crap. Well, did the caregivers not have any more guidance than the couple of words we see Dr. Now offer up? I suspect a lot of this show is meant to make the patients and their families look bad for entertainment purposes because fat shaming is acceptable, but to me it was the professionals (or lack thereof) who got the side-eye because I sure wasn't hearing much from them. What about Pauline's son, who has endured years of emotional abuse? What help was he getting? *sigh* I've seen better care on Hoarders and Intervention, and that's not saying much.

Probably a good thing that I didn't see the Penny ep. :(

TY to those who shared info about this procedure and pre-care, insurance, etc. To any here who are living with a weight issue or eating disorder, or who have undergone surgery, you have my very best thoughts and wishes for good health, and may you receive any and all support you need.  

• Love 4

I watched about four eps of this show yesterday and it was hard not to feel judgy... and stabby. The main thing that alarmed me (besides skin infections and inability to bathe oneself) was the doctor's advice and treatment. All I heard him say was things like "no fat" or "no carbs", and in a couple of instances only after they had failed to lose following surgery he referred them to therapy.

First of all, where is the nutritional counselling? Fat and carbs are not the problem - I doubt any one of these people got to 600 pounds from drizzling a bit of walnut oil on their salad greens, or having steel cut oats for breakfast. It's the type of fat and carbs they consume, and of course the amount. Who is teaching them about getting maximum value and fuel from their calories? One woman was hospitalized and we saw her "diet" meal of a nice heaping portion of string beans along with what looked to me a fair portion of baked chicken and possibly a small starch serving on the side. It was not starvation mode and it had lots of fiber and lean protein, which helps one to feel full. So why is that not being taught for the patients to do at home? Or is it, and I just caught four eps that didn't really cover it? The people at home were eating complete shit, pardon my french.

I don't know. The whole thing just left me shaking my head because the patients didn't seem to be getting great care. Anyone else?

Don't get me started on the enablers...

And the really judgy voice inside my head wondered how these people could afford to eat so much. Fast food and junk food isn't cheap when you're buying mountains of it. Maybe they need financial counselling, too? Like some life skills classes? This clearly is not just about the size of their stomachs. IMO.

(sorry for the wall of text, it bugged me all night)

I have no doubt that the nutritional counseling, etc. is provided off-camera. And any other therapy, classes, etc that may be helpful are probably contingent on Medicaid or their own insurance companies to approve.

On the show "Fat Doctor," it seemed as if to even qualify for surgery, the doctor had to get a letter From the patients GP. I wonder if this is how Dr. Now works?

On the show "Fat Doctor," it seemed as if to even qualify for surgery, the doctor had to get a letter From the patients GP. I wonder if this is how Dr. Now works?

One of the major issues on Fat Doctor is who is going to pay - the National Health or the patient. That's why everyone wants a letter of approval. Dr Shaw had at least one patient (who later died) who was denied the surgery on National Health, got worse and finally got it paid for. But who knows, he might have lived if he'd gotten it earlier. I think there was also a set of twins or brothers who had terrible health problems but were practically dead before the NH would pay for the surgery for one, while the other suffered.  Despite it's faults, I'd rather have our system.

Wasn't sure where to post this, but possibly we'll see this man on an upcoming episode? 

http://www.turnto10.com/story/28842189/1000-lb-man-moved-from-providence-to-cranston

Are you f-ing kidding me?  Whoever did the cost benefit of that guy's surgery should be fired!  Let's see....should we pay for this dude's surgery or put him up in a nursing home for nine years and then relocate him using a crane???? hmmmm....let me think.  I know the surgery isn't a guarantee, but he could have easily gotten down to a more manageable 500 lbs without much effort.  Also, how does he get enough to eat to maintain that weight in a nursing home????   

• Love 3

One of the major issues on Fat Doctor is who is going to pay - the National Health or the patient. That's why everyone wants a letter of approval. Dr Shaw had at least one patient (who later died) who was denied the surgery on National Health, got worse and finally got it paid for. But who knows, he might have lived if he'd gotten it earlier. I think there was also a set of twins or brothers who had terrible health problems but were practically dead before the NH would pay for the surgery for one, while the other suffered. Despite it's faults, I'd rather have our system.

That was a sad episode when that guy died. He was so happy When he was approved for the surgery.

Dr. Shaw seems like such a good doctor. You can tell that the patients death hit him hard.

"could have gotten down to 500 lbs._

Yes he could have gotten down to 500 pounds and did not, so he will not get surgery because he is way to heavy and demonstrates in no way whatsoever that he would be successful. He doubtless has many health problems like diabetes, heart, circulation, bed sores, the list goes on. He is a strong man because he has survived so long, but I rather think he isn't long for this world and in the final analysis, I don't think he cares. He may think he'd rather live like that until he dies rather than have to prepare for an operation, recover, built up strength by exercises, and actually have to do things for himself rather than have people wait on him hand and foot. His choice.
  • Love 2

Not sure if this is the place to put this, but I can't understand why counselling is not part of the standard pre-op requirements.  Dr. Now always comes in, tells them how bad their weight is, then sends them home to lose their "good faith" 50 or so lbs.  Only after they struggle unsuccessfully does he seem to call in a counselor.  

I know it's a huge struggle and a lot of hard work, but most of them have a lot of baggage and years of bad habits that have brought them to where they are.  

The other issue I struggle with is the caregivers who are enablers.  Others have brought up how the obese person can be abusing their caregiver into enabling them, which I didn't really consider, so I thank you for that.  But I have seen shows where the person is trying their darnedest to lose weight and get healthy, and the family brings in junk food and eats it in front of them.  There used to be another reality show about a medical center in Brooklyn that treated morbidly obese people, and they had cameras that showed family bringing in banned food for their relatives.  Abuse aside, I would like to think that if I were caring for a loved one who was being resistant, I would run to the doctor and report what was going on, and not go back without reinforcements.  One can only be abused if they stick around - not like a 700 lb person is going to chase after them.  Perhaps I just have very little tolerance for those who refuse to help themselves.

Edited after watching "Sharon's Story":  Her story addressed the enabling issue, but I still think that the surgery should not be done until the patient and caregivers have some counseling.  I wonder if she could still be alive today had she understood more about her body and food.  Also rather surprised that the hospital had no clue that she was starving herself.  

Edited by salvame
  • Love 1

Who was that lady who was frying chicken in bed??? I just watched that episode and she got me pissed. This just made me so angry. I think all those people bringing her food should be arrested for attempted murder. She herself should be considered suicidal because she's eating herself to death. This is so sad. I hope she gets the real help she needs especially when she's no longer on TV. SMH...so sad....

• Love 3

I saw a follow up article about a 22 yr old from Britain who weighed in excess of 800 lbs and was somehow extracted fro her paid housing by several ambulance crews and rescue groups to go to hospital.  But the same happened 2 years ago when they had to knock down walls to get her out of a previous place.  She'd been heavy since a toddler, got tired of it, and went to the USA for 6 months or a year or so and came back weighing only 200 and some pounds.  Within a couple of years of arrival back home she was back where she started.  Makes you wonder.  It's easier to feed your face than enjoy life outside.

Oh no!  The young lady was in the original version of 'Too Fat for Fifteen,' I believe. There was a whole show, or a few of them, about her. I knew she had gained weight when she went back to the UK, but didn't know they had to extract her from her house. From what I recall, her mother was no help when the daughter came home, and the fast food and snacks quickly made their reappearance. This is so sad, she tried hard and was happy to lose the weight, but, as has often been stated, the problems must be deeper than just a liking for Twinkies.

• Love 2

Just watched the episode with Penny (Season 2, Episode 3). She wouldn't do the diet, wouldn't try to walk and then wondered why she didn't lose any weight after the surgery. Her weight 12 months later was the same it was after the surgery. 

She was an asshole and I feel bad for her child. I would feel bad for her husband but he allowed his wife to control him and manipulate him. 

• Love 3

Most of the patients seemed to have been low income.  Would Medicare/Medicaid have paid for their time there?

I have noticed this as well, so I wonder how on earth they can afford to purchase all that food?

• Love 3

My own opinion, from observations of friends and patients, is that these people are often victims of abuse by family members who keep them fat so they won't leave.

The family member involved has abandonment issues and is afraid that the obese person will leave if he or she loses weight.

I knew one family, the wife kept trying to lose weight and the husband, and the kids as the got old enough to drive, would go out and buy crap and then bring it to her at work, or bring it home. One daughter got a job at MacDonalds and signed up for the closing shift so she could bring home all the leftovers.

The husband of another fat wife was so concerned when his wife got the flu and lost her appetite for a few days that he dragged her out of bed to go out to a restaurant.

And one massively obese patient of mine, was less bothered by her NPO status than her family was. They were out in the ICU waiting room IN TEARS, wailing "can't we even bring her a cheeseburger?!" Honestly, they were CRYING because they couldn't bring her food. When her surgeon found out, he gathered them all together and chewed them out. Let them know he knew what the family dynamic was, it was ABUSE.

Every episode I have seen so far has shown the same thing: abuse. Every one of these people has another person who is so emotionally dependent on them, so afraid of being abandoned, that they are deliberately keeping them fat so they can't leave.

• Love 6

My own opinion, from observations of friends and patients, is that these people are often victims of abuse by family members who keep them fat so they won't leave.

The family member involved has abandonment issues and is afraid that the obese person will leave if he or she loses weight.

I knew one family, the wife kept trying to lose weight and the husband, and the kids as the got old enough to drive, would go out and buy crap and then bring it to her at work, or bring it home. One daughter got a job at MacDonalds and signed up for the closing shift so she could bring home all the leftovers.

Those situations do sound horrible and like abuse.

It seems so unreal that family would do those things, but it happens all the time.  I also know of one situation where my friend was living with her boyfriend.  They weren't really happy together, but things were okay.  She started planning to go back to college and right around that time, her boyfriend got a job closing a pizza place.  So everyday at 2 or 3 am he would bring home all these pizzas?  

Family and spouses do enable problems, but the overweight person also has responsibility.  I don't think you can become morbidly obese because of enablers or other people.  

A lot of the people on the show seemed tired and depressed by the whole situation.

• Love 1
Every episode I have seen so far has shown the same thing: abuse. Every one of these people has another person who is so emotionally dependent on them, so afraid of being abandoned, that they are deliberately keeping them fat so they can't leave.

algebra - thank you for sharing these stories. And may I be crude enough to say, jesus fucking christ. What the hell is wrong with people? Stories like the ones you've shared, and others here just break my heart. So many selfish people out there. And the person who is the victim doesn't even realise how they are being manipulated. It is as you said - abuse.

And there is no way to hold any of these abusers accountable. None at all. Can you imagine the charges? "I'm charging my husband for forcing me to be fat?" Dear god, the judgement and shaming of these poor victims would be terrible. And this is the core problem. The belief that these type of extreme eating disorders (in this case, obesity) are simply a result of the person being "fat", "lazy" and "selfish". Yes, some are. But there are some terribly selfish lazy thin people too. In many cases, it is more than that - abuse in some cases, psychological or physiological disorders in others - yet because of societal bias and disgust towards being "overweight", we shame, instead of help.

• Love 2