Type keyword(s) to search

The All You Can Eat Buffet: My 600 Pound Life All Episode Discussion

• Start Topic

Remember Christina from the 2013 season? I think she was the most abused of them all. Remember how when she was in the hospital trying to lose enough weight to get the surgery and she didnt like the food, so her mom brought her fast food? Her mom couldn"t stand to think of her daughter being hungry. Sick sick people!

• Love 3

Good question, I wonder if counseling is recommended? Or maybe Medicaid doesn't pay for many sessions so they save them for aftercare?

I'm sure the initial consultation with Dr Now is longer than what is shown on TV. They probably meet with a dietician before going home to lose weight. I wonder if they are warned about artificial sweetners? I have given them up, and I do have less trouble with cravings as a result.

I have also noticed when I eat very consciously and deliberately, I am satisfied on a reduced calorie diet. Empty calories really do make you eat too much, because they aren't satisfying. If you have to choose between 250 calories worth of potato chips or 250 calories of lean ground beef, eat the beef. Same number of calories, but the beef satisfies the appetite so much better.

• Love 1

Part of the counseling could be the required viewing of Fed Up. They should purchase a copy or stream it and have them watch it at the hospital. And serve snacks like salsa on baked potato, watermelon or the ice cream made with just fruit.

• Love 1
Not sure if this is the place to put this, but I can't understand why counselling is not part of the standard pre-op requirements.

We don't know that it isn't part of the standard pre-op requirement, we only know the pieces and parts that they show us on TV.

When I heard Angel saying she expected the surgery to cure her cravings, I wondered if she really understood what the surgery would accomplish.. And Dr Now referred to her having some kind of abdominal surgery previously but he didn't say what. Maybe she didn't know herself, so he didn't know. But I wondered if she had already had some kind of gastric bypass or banding done? Then the whole business of going to see another doctor and getting a feeding tube was just nuts. Is it possible the doctor who placed the feeding tube had done the unnamed previous abdominal surgery?

• Love 1

Honestly, the stomach tube incident still puzzles me today. I really want to find out how that went down. In order to insert the tube, the Dr had to do a ct scan on her belly and had to see that she had a gastric bypass (plus the obvious that she was like 600 lbs and was not going to starve to death any time soon) . It's like the new doctor wanted to undo her bypass. If she was dehydrated or lacking in vitamins, he could have given her an iv. So either the Dr was severely incompetent (then he should have his license pulled) or Angel wanted to have her bypass reversed.

Also, just to be clear, the purpose of gastric bypass IS malnutrition. On purpose, the surgeon makes it to where you don't digest/absorb what you eat in order to guarantee (haha) weight loss. Yes, it's risky and not a "healthy" way to lose weight, but the benefits outweigh the risk for these people.

• Love 2

I had not previously seen the Penny or Pauline episodes, and the threads here made me rush to YouTube to imbibe. Yeeeesh, what self-deluding liars. I almost threw the remote at at the tv when Pauline yelled at the Doctor, "you're not hearing me!"  His unreasonable request? That she get out of bed and walk a few steps.
* I have a wen.

* I get nauseous.

* I've been so dizzy lately.
* I've been doing really well lately!
*  I don't need to see what the scales say.

etc.

My question is: how can they continue to shovel food in, when gastric bypass surgery precludes big bites, or even medium-sized bites? Has there ever been a case on-screen of a patient bursting through their stitches, for lack of a better image? Do enlighten.

Dr. Now has a Facebook page, which I've "liked." I really dig it when he puts the hammer down! Doesn't happen often enough.

Edited by Dianaofthehunt
  • Love 1

My question is: how can they continue to shovel food in, when gastric bypass surgery precludes big bites, or even medium-sized bites? Has there ever been a case on-screen of a patient bursting through their stitches, for lack of a better image? Do enlighten.

I dunno how they can continue to shovel food.  I had the gastric sleeve a year ago (Penny's surgery) and I couldn't eat more than 1/4 of a grilled chicken sandwich for lunch yesterday.  In my mind, there could be three possibilities of how they manage to gain or not lose: 1. Dr. Now makes their pouch (or sleeve) really big, 2. They are just savants of eating and push through the pain and somehow manage to avoid vomiting or 3. They really are losing weight and this is more TV drama BS.  This aspect of the show bothers me the most because its the most unrealistic part - 99.9% of the other people that have had bariatric surgery of some sort lose a ton of weight during the first couple months.  

• Love 1

I dunno how they can continue to shovel food.  I had the gastric sleeve a year ago (Penny's surgery) and I couldn't eat more than 1/4 of a grilled chicken sandwich for lunch yesterday.  In my mind, there could be three possibilities of how they manage to gain or not lose: 1. Dr. Now makes their pouch (or sleeve) really big, 2. They are just savants of eating and push through the pain and somehow manage to avoid vomiting or 3. They really are losing weight and this is more TV drama BS.  This aspect of the show bothers me the most because its the most unrealistic part - 99.9% of the other people that have had bariatric surgery of some sort lose a ton of weight during the first couple months.  

May I ask? With the operation does the patient have to deal hunger until they get used to the program?

• Love 1

May I ask? With the operation does the patient have to deal hunger until they get used to the program?

No, most of us feel no hunger at all for the first six weeks. I can remember on week 2 after surgery looking at the clock and saying "oh crap, it's 2 pm already. I forgot to eat again." Then somewhere around month 2, the hunger feeling comes back and then you eat something like a string cheese and you are so full you want to throw up.

Also-another misconception is that it takes this huge effort to lose weight once you had surgery and you have to follow a strict program or else you will gain. What would be the point of the surgery if you just had the mental struggle of dieting like before? This is a diet you can't cheat on. I don't care if it's your birthday, Christmas, or a hot date, if you eat more than your belly can handle, you will puke. And puking seems to be more painful after surgery. True, you can have four bites of cake every hour and maybe manage to eat an entire cake in a day, but that's all you are eating and that would take some mad dedication. As of today I am down 142 lbs and I eat whatever I want. Ok, I eat 4 bites of whatever I want (protein rich usually) then I get busy living my life and just don't think about food until it's time for the next meal because my stomach is still the size of a banana.

But this is true of the "normal" bariatric surgery patients; you know, the ones who realized at 250 or 300 lbs that drastic action had to be taken immediately. I think that once you hit the 500-600 mark, you are almost too far gone. Either that or this show is complete bs. lol

• Love 10
As of today I am down 142 lbs and I eat whatever I want.

Congrats on the progress and thanks for the information, notyrmama. Very interesting. Another question - do you ever feel the side effects of not eating much, like light-headed or dizzy or weak at times? I know some of what I mentioned could be considered low blood sugar, but just wondering besides initially not hungry, any other side effects in the beginning and now, that your body has adjusted.

The throw-up thing I've heard - that the stomach just cannot take much, so it rejects too much food. Another risk is eating crappy food, therefore the patient doesn't get the proper nutrients to serve the body well. And personally, I hate throwing up, so I'd rather not eat.

• Love 1

Congrats on the progress and thanks for the information, notyrmama. Very interesting. Another question - do you ever feel the side effects of not eating much, like light-headed or dizzy or weak at times? I know some of what I mentioned could be considered low blood sugar, but just wondering besides initially not hungry, any other side effects in the beginning and now, that your body has adjusted.

The throw-up thing I've heard - that the stomach just cannot take much, so it rejects too much food. Another risk is eating crappy food, therefore the patient doesn't get the proper nutrients to serve the body well. And personally, I hate throwing up, so I'd rather not eat.

Yes, I get that low blood sugar feeling all the time now if I am not careful with what and when I eat.  In the first couple weeks, that low blood sugar feeling probably did happen, but I was so focused on recovering from the surgery that that's probably what I attributed it to (the stomach is swollen for about a week or two and there is a decent amount of pain.  The pain meds, if you don't throw them up, also make you not want to eat).  I will always have to be careful and make sure I eat correctly and get the proper nutrients.  This is why getting surgery is not the easy way out.  It really is a lifetime commitment and not for everyone, but for some people (myself included), it is the only way. 

• Love 1

People have mentioned money for food, but I'd really like the show to address the issue, because I can't believe that medicaid or other government relief provides enough to pay for the huge amount some of these people eat.
I remember on another show, a woman had 2 or 3 of the Stauffer family size meals a day. That would be probably $20 a day, and there was a lot more added.

• Love 1

People have mentioned money for food, but I'd really like the show to address the issue, because I can't believe that medicaid or other government relief provides enough to pay for the huge amount some of these people eat.

I remember on another show, a woman had 2 or 3 of the Stauffer family size meals a day. That would be probably $20 a day, and there was a lot more added.

One of the women on the show (I don't remember her name) was also a budding Extreme Couponer. If a person knows how to maximize sales, coupons and food assistance, you can get a surprising amount of prepackaged, processed food. One of our local grocery stores has those Stouffer meals on sale every other week. Same with many of those frozen meals and you can always find coupons either online or in newspapers.

That's not to mention the staggering amount of processed foods you can get from any variety of charitable organizations.

• Love 2

One of the women on the show (I don't remember her name) was also a budding Extreme Couponer. 

That would be PENNY! 

Also, these people are constantly going for fast food...and have you all been through the drive through lately?  A regular "value meal" will set you back $8 now and those people can eat two and three of those.

• Love 2

That would be PENNY! 

Also, these people are constantly going for fast food...and have you all been through the drive through lately?  A regular "value meal" will set you back $8 now and those people can eat two and three of those.

Oh I remember Penny was at the expert level for shopping. But I thought there was another one but she was a little more mobile.

Again, not sure where you live, but I get tons of coupons for fast food restaurants. Plus, sadly, at least here, we have a few candidates for Dr Now working at local fast food places. I would not be surprised if any of them had a "hook up" who get food on the cheap.

You would be surprised at easily folks eat poorly without spending the amount of money you think they spend.

Heck, you can "grocery" shop at the local dollar stores and walk out with steaks, frozen dinners and fresh bread plus all the junk food you want on the cheap.

• Love 2

Have you ever noticed that in this show, in all its seasons, has not once shown one 600 pound foodie? They have not even shown a 600 pound former chef.  I actually don't think they exist (OK, I'm sure there are a couple of them out there, but let me make my point! LOL).  I don't think Whole Foods or Trader Joes even has mechanical carts!  You notice that the 600 pounders on this series only eat fast food crap and delivery--making hamburger helper is home cooking to these folks.  Really, who goes mmmm McDonalds or Dominos when you get a far better product at your local burger joint or hole in the wall pizza restaurant?  I don't think the 600 pounders actually "enjoy" food like a foodie does, I bet they don't even really taste it. I really think processed food is more addictive than food made from scratch (even fried wontons, LOL!)  I'm not normally a conspiracy theorist, but I do believe that the food manufactures adjust the sugar and salt just so you keep eating.

• Love 4

Have you ever noticed that in this show, in all its seasons, has not once shown one 600 pound foodie? They have not even shown a 600 pound former chef.  I actually don't think they exist (OK, I'm sure there are a couple of them out there, but let me make my point! LOL).  I don't think Whole Foods or Trader Joes even has mechanical carts!  You notice that the 600 pounders on this series only eat fast food crap and delivery--making hamburger helper is home cooking to these folks.  Really, who goes mmmm McDonalds or Dominos when you get a far better product at your local burger joint or hole in the wall pizza restaurant?  I don't think the 600 pounders actually "enjoy" food like a foodie does, I bet they don't even really taste it. I really think processed food is more addictive than food made from scratch (even fried wontons, LOL!)  I'm not normally a conspiracy theorist, but I do believe that the food manufactures adjust the sugar and salt just so you keep eating.

Of course you are right. It is the thing we so-called health nuts keep trying to say. And there is a lot more. But your theory is awesome and, according to my research and research done in my nutrition groups,  you are right on. 

• Love 2

I sat in on an interim hearing of state government related to food deserts and childhood obesity.  This problem is acknowledged at a very high level of government.  In the not-so-distant past, inadequately nourished children were very thin.  Now they are obese.  It's not expensive to become obese.  The cause of this switch is debatable, but I believe can be directly traced back to the "food pyramid" that many of us grew up on in the 70's and 80's that recommended grains as the basis of a healthy diet.  Grains were subsidized by the government and became the cheapest form of calories - they still are.  Obesity, heart disease, and diabetes skyrocketed. 

There are also well documented studies that prove, as much as anything can be proven, that processed, sugary, salty foods are addictive.  A rat will walk across an electrified plate to get to froot loops.  As a matter of fact, so would I, sometimes.  ;)

• Love 7

You would be shocked at how much food stamps people get. OSM son #2 worked at a convenience store and people would come in and buy junk food and put it on their food stamp card. The receipt would print out their food stamp balance. Sometimes it would be in the near $800.00 range.

• Love 1

Depends on the size of the family and the state in which they reside. In most states, an individual gets less than $200/month.

$200/month for food for one person is quite decent. I spend much less than that (about $120/month) and eat very well. Of course, that means looking at weekly flyers for sales, and stocking up on good deals; buying mostly raw ingredients and cooking from scratch; avoiding high fat, high sugar, processed empty calories; staying away from convenience items like prewashed lettuce or precut fruit/veg; buying in season, etc. America's obsession with convenience is both expensive and unhealthy. A little planning and a little effort - anyone can eat healthy, satisfying food and stay on budget.

</off soapbox> :-D

• Love 5

I recently rewatched Penny and Pauline. It's incredibly difficult to determine which one is worse. Every time I come to a conclusion, some horrible thing the other said or did pops up and I'm confused again

Penny: having her son raised in that dysfunctional environment, her inability to do anything with him, yet she slams working moms and is so proud of herself as a mom. The fact that that little boy will be like Dylan in so many years. The couponing, the lies, the yellow brick road. How awful she must smell. How on earth does she wash her hair? (I'm not including any sympathy for Edgar; he's as bad as she is and can take the kid and leave at any time.). The wontons, the proclamation that eating a shitty fried meal is better than skipping a meal. Using a bedpan.

Pauline: The enslavement of Dylan. Lying to Dr Now, refusing to try, the crocodile tears. Thinking losing 6 lbs was an accomplishment. Lying about the physical therapists calling to set up an appointment. Eating fattening bingo food and claiming she's doing things in "her time." Refusing to move. Using words like "ouchie." N

Both: Crocodile tears, constant lies, insisting they know better than the doctor, thinking tiny things qualify as great progress, trapping children in their mess, making other people responsible for their own hygiene (and not having any guilt about it). Being condescending and rude to medical staff. Wasting the opportunity to change their lives.

I'm thinking Penny eeeks it out by a hair. She only lost 35-40 lbs throughout the entire process...and only because she was in the hospital. Also, the bedpan.

• Love 7

So every episode they put up that card with "they have less than a 5% chance of long-term success," but that is never explained. Arguably, Penny, Pauline, and that poor guy who died are failures, but at least in the arc of these shows, everyone else is a "success"?

• Love 1

I think Henry died in an accident, so I'm not sure that counts as a failure?

Henry didn't die in an accident (he did have a bus accident, but didn't die).  He died of heart related issues (per Melissa Morris's Facebook page a long time ago), but that doesn't mean it was his weight's fault.  I know a skinny person who died instantly of a massive heart attack.

• Love 2

I think I need an intervention I am strangely addicted to this show and these stories these people are going through. Maybe it is just seeing something I do not see in every day life. I am shocked at how some of these people can still walk and their bodies have not just stopped functioning.

I really feel for them with having such a poor quality of life feeling trapped. But on the other hand many seem serious interventions they are using food to fill so many holes, issues and problems in their lives. Then there are some who are just pig headed, yes I am looking at you Penny, who waste this wonderful opportunity they are given that many would do anything to have!

• Love 3

So every episode they put up that card with "they have less than a 5% chance of long-term success," but that is never explained. Arguably, Penny, Pauline, and that poor guy who died are failures, but at least in the arc of these shows, everyone else is a "success"?

I think the general consensus on this forum has been that this 5% chance quote refers to the fact that only 5% of all people who lose weight on their own, manage to change their lifestyle and keep it off. 95% of us will gain it all back (and often end up higher than the starting point). I can't recall the exact statistics for the success rate, but I seem to recall reading that something like 75-80% of people who have bariatric surgery manage to take off and keep off at least 50% of their excess weight. So, for someone who is 600 pounds and should weigh like 200 at the most, they would be counted as a success if they kept off at least 200 lbs long term, even though they still weighed 400. The assumption being that they would have continued at 600 and continued to climb otherwise. So failures like Penny and Pauline seem to indicate that even in the morbidly obese this sort of 80% "success" rate holds true.

• Love 3

I think I need an intervention I am strangely addicted to this show and these stories these people are going through. Maybe it is just seeing something I do not see in every day life. I am shocked at how some of these people can still walk and their bodies have not just stopped functioning.

I really feel for them with having such a poor quality of life feeling trapped. But on the other hand many seem serious interventions they are using food to fill so many holes, issues and problems in their lives. Then there are some who are just pig headed, yes I am looking at you Penny, who waste this wonderful opportunity they are given that many would do anything to have!

I hear ya Sistah!  I am obsessed with this show because I need to understand what makes these people tick.  I need to understand, number one, what led them to be 600 pounds in the first place, and number two, for those who don't have a tremendous weight loss in the first year (penny, pauline, etc), how in the hell they manage to not lose weight when they only have the stomach the size of a sharpie pen (that's how small it is with a gastric sleeve, not even the size of a banana).  Before I had my surgery, I was so scared that I was going to end up like Penny because my eating addition is fierce (and still is!)...after my surgery, I was more obsessed to find out how she managed to gain weight.  Here I am 1 1/2 years after surgery, I weigh about 155 lbs and I still can't manage to eat a whole slice of pizza at one time, even though I would still like to eat the whole pizza.  How the hell do they do it?

• Love 3

I hear ya Sistah!  I am obsessed with this show because I need to understand what makes these people tick.  I need to understand, number one, what led them to be 600 pounds in the first place, and number two, for those who don't have a tremendous weight loss in the first year (penny, pauline, etc), how in the hell they manage to not lose weight when they only have the stomach the size of a sharpie pen (that's how small it is with a gastric sleeve, not even the size of a banana).  Before I had my surgery, I was so scared that I was going to end up like Penny because my eating addition is fierce (and still is!)...after my surgery, I was more obsessed to find out how she managed to gain weight.  Here I am 1 1/2 years after surgery, I weigh about 155 lbs and I still can't manage to eat a whole slice of pizza at one time, even though I would still like to eat the whole pizza.  How the hell do they do it?

Congratulations on your successful surgery, hope you have continued good health. I have an ex-sister in law who had the surgery and somehow she is larger than before she had it. She lost some weight but I actually think they said she ate to the point where the band thing, or whatever back then they wrapped around the opening of the stomach broke. I did not want to be all in her business. She is even trying to get another surgery. Which seems moot if you do not change the way you eat and think about food. She does have a food obsession I believe everything in her life seems to revolve around when, where and what she is going to eat. 

• Love 1

In Season 1, Dr Now is in surgery and he mentions that the equipment is not designed for the size of his patients. The person on the table was definetly not on a table sized for them. I guess he's upgraded his equipment since the .

(above quote from Teretha discussion)

Since you said that, I'm remembering fat shows from maybe 8 or 10 years ago, and they seemed to have bring people out of window, or in one case, they cut a wall of the house.

And now, even someone 700 lbs can get in a vehicle.

Has everything grown in the past few years?

• Love 4

I am more of a believer genetic/biological explanations for such out-of-control obesity than psychological/addiction models.

So you think the fact that the majority of them have been raped/abused/molested and never dealt with it is just coincidence?

• Love 1
(edited)

Food is necessary to survive, but these people make such horrible choices. If someone in your home is 600 lbs and bedridden, STOP BUYING THEM ICE CREAM AND CANDY AND CAKE AND DONUTS! Just don't have it around to tempt them. When Gilbert brought home that box of donuts, I wanted to scream at the TV. No way should donuts have been in that apartment, and it's not like Lupe could have gone out and bought donuts herself.

There was a woman, before this show was on, around 800 pounds and bed-ridden who tried to find a doctor to give her the surgery for 3 or more years. She kept saying  "If I don't get this surgery I'll die" She did a big media campaign trying to find a doctor to help her and to raise funds for it. In the meantime she always had the solution- all she had to do was have her family bring her less food! Or bring her a similar amount of food she would get post-surgery. Yes she would be hungrier but she would live...it was so crazy they never thought of this. She could not get out of bed. I guess she was another one thinking surgery was a magic bullet. The irony is she did finally get a doctor to do the surgery and died two weeks later of a complication or something just went wrong with her body. She wasted so much time! I think it was a lady named Renee WIlliams:

The surgery followed a year and a half in which Williams sought a surgeon. More than a dozen turned her down, most, she said, after she told them she was on Medicaid. She says she screamed for joy when Nowzaradan took her case.

"Whether or not she's the biggest woman ever to undergo the surgery, it's a remarkable case," said Dr. Neil Hutcher, past president of the American Society for Bariatric Surgery and current director of the Bariatric Surgery program at St. Mary's Hospital in Richmond, Va. "You can't imagine all that goes into performing surgery on a patient that size."

The surgery took five hours, three or four more than it would have if the patient was, say, 400 pounds. The operating team had to improvise equipment to accommodate Williams, who took up two operating tables. They spent the first hour trying to determine the best spots to make incisions and used a special orthopedic lifting device to raise her abdominal wall.

Edited by operalover
  • Love 3
(edited)

I think research is showing that for complex problems like the severe obesity on this show, hoarding, addiction, etc rather than it being "genes" or "environment" - its more accurate to say "genes and environment."  Last century was "nature or nurture,"  now its "nature and nurture" - how do they interact with each other.

Then you also get into the whole realm of epigenetics - which is about how acquired traits can be inherited by the next generation. So the experiences of one's parents, grandparents, etc, can affect the genes inherited. Here is an article that does a good job of explaining it as it relates to obesity- http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/01/fat-thin-molecular-switch-may-turn-obesity-or

The people that end up on a show like this, in these very extreme weight ranges, are going to have both genetic predispositions toward obesity as well as environmental triggers such as abuse, poverty, etc.

---

Just after I wrote that, I happened to find this article- which talks about the exact thing I just said:

Scientists have recently discovered that for girls who are carriers of a particular gene variant (DRD4 VNTR with 7 repeats), the crucial element that influences a child's fat intake is not the gene variant itself. Instead, it is the interplay between the gene and girls' early socioeconomic environment that may determine whether they have increased fat intake or healthier than average eating compared to their peers from the same class background.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/02/160209162415.htm

Edited by ChristmasJones
  • Love 2
(edited)

So you think the fact that the majority of them have been raped/abused/molested and never dealt with it is just coincidence?

I dispute the assertion that the "majority" have been raped/abused/molested therefore the idea of "coincidence" here is a moot point.

Edited by Toaster Strudel
  • Love 2

People. If you are going to debate the scientific and emotional realities of obesity, do it in a civilized manner. No sniping at each other. There are various reasons why someone is obese, from the typical "don't exercise/eat junk" to emotional/psychological to genetic and all in between. It's a combination of factors that if scientists and doctors could actually pinpoint with some assurdedness, this show would never exist.

If you cannot discuss nicely, move on, or use the Ingnore feature. Thank you.

• Love 3

Not to go too far off topic from this episode, but just wanted to reply to this comment:

But researchers have also shown that this form of obesity is a modern phenomenon. 

I posted a link a while back about some research that indicates that changes in agricultural policies in the 1970's led to an increase in food production and a subsequent decrease in food costs.

"...the increase in per capita food supply is more than sufficient to explain the obesity epidemic. In fact, per capita food waste has been progressively increasing simultaneously with obesity. These calculations have led to the push hypothesis for the obesity epidemic: dramatic increases in production, availability, and marketing of cheap, readily available food over the past few decades has led to increased food consumption and obesity along with increased food waste." source: https://aaas.confex.com/aaas/2012/webprogram/Session4438.html

"An important factor fueling the obesity epidemic has been identified by a new review: Americans now have the cheapest food available in history. Today, two in three Americans are overweight or obese, with rates climbing steadily over the past several decades. Many factors have been suggested as causes: snack food, automobiles, television, fast food, computer use, vending machines, suburban housing developments, and portion size. But after examining available evidence, the authors say widespread availability of inexpensive food appears to have the strongest link to obesity."

source: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/05/140522074749.htm

One more: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/15/science/a-mathematical-challenge-to-obesity.html?_r=1

My theory about why the media doesn't cover this topic is that its not as emotionally satisfying to viewers to hear that the obesity epidemic is due to increased availability of cheap food. Its more satisfying to blame the individuals for not exercising, eating too much junk food, and being lazy. 

I personally found the research on the increase in food production fascinating because I always wondered how the habits of millions of people across the US changed at the same time.

If we assume, just for the sake of argument, that these researchers are correct about the increased availability of cheap food, you then get into the realm of how genetics interacts with the environment. People that had genetic predispositions to obesity who lived in the 1950's and 60's, when food was more expensive and not as widely available might have ended up not becoming very obese. But if people with those genetic tendencies grow up in the 1980's and 90's where food is cheaper and more available, then they could end up becoming obese.

There is so much fascinating research being done on obesity these days.

• Love 3

This is one of those arguments where everyone is right, so the mods are even righter that we shouldn't fight amongst ourselves. It also seems like there is a big difference between "what causes widespread obesity" and "what causes these people to become so large?" There are so many reasons obesity has exploded worldwide, but it mostly boils down to the accessibility of unhealthy food and a much more sedentary lifestyle. We no longer need to do a lot of physical work just to maintain our lives and homes. I mean, look at how hard it was just to get laundry done 100 years ago, and now a machine does everything. As far as these specific cases on this show, though, it is very complex and individual, but they all have food addiction in common. The causes of these addictions, we can only really speculate on.

• Love 9

If we assume, just for the sake of argument, that these researchers are correct about the increased availability of cheap food, you then get into the realm of how genetics interacts with the environment. People that had genetic predispositions to obesity who lived in the 1950's and 60's, when food was more expensive and not as widely available might have ended up not becoming very obese. But if people with those genetic tendencies grow up in the 1980's and 90's where food is cheaper and more available, then they could end up becoming obese.

I agree with a lot of your points as with others... but food was not more expensive in the 50s. I grew up then and remember bread being a quarter, soda 10 cents, a full Hershey's candy bar was a nickel. In the summer I remember being sent to the store with 50 cents and coming back with salami, bread and Kool Aid. None of which I believe was any healthier then than it is now.

However, I believe the difference is we got one sandwich, an apple and a glass of Kool Aid and then were sent back out to play or to the local playground. If there was one thing my mom disliked it was the inability to determine when one had had enough. She determined that those portions were enough to carry us until dinner. And if we wanted something else between lunch and dinner we could have fruit. No candy, soda, chips ... just fruit or a vegetable like a carrot.

• Love 7

It doesn't help that we used to have, say, pizza. Available in several sizes and with a fair choice of toppings. But then they came out with a super-sized meat-lover's pizza with bacon and ranch dressing on it, and the crust is filled with hot hogs and extra cheese, and maybe there is sauce on the side for dipping, and you can get a big, chocolate-y dessert at the same place to take home and enjoy afterwards. Everything seems so much *more*, so much richer, with chocolate and caramel and things that weren't there on so many foods when I was coming up (in the 70s). It's like TPTB in charge think people aren't fat enough and spend all day thinking of ways to stuff even more calories in everyone.

It is funny to remember Curly was the fat Stooge - he wouldn't draw a second glance today. Many of the old timey Fat Men at the circus sideshows back in the day wouldn't be considered all that big today either. Times sure have changed.

I don't know for sure if examples like this are a real factor, it's just a thought I had.

• Love 7

I believe the cost of prepared food has decreased. If a loaf of bread was 25 cents in the fifties it is way cheaper than the 2, 3, 4 or 5 dollars it is today. I distinctly remember my mom refusing to eat at Taco Bell because the tacos were like 19 cents whereas El Taco was a quarter. Lol, she just did not believe a quality food item would cost so little so we at El Taco on the rare occasions when we were treated out.

But I will check out the article to see where they are focusing. Seeing as nutrition is my main interest these days, I want to know all points.

I did not grow up in an area that was low income or anything like that. Prices were just about the same in my town in Los Angeles County. 

• Love 1

The Canada Food Guide is killing you: ‘The obesity epidemic… really began with our dietary guidelines’

A higher-fat diet — one that has more fat than the current diet that limits fat consumption to 25 to 35 per cent of total calories — is healthier and a better disease-fighter than a low-fat diet....

Last fall the Canadian Heart and Stroke Foundation issued a position paper overturning the usual warnings about saturated fat and focusing instead on a “whole diet approach” and the dangers of highly processed food. It noted that, in hindsight, dietary recommendations that encouraged people to cut back on fat and boost carbs may have played a role in increasing calorie consumption and rates of obesity and metabolic syndrome.

For the record, my 77-year old Eastern European mother spreads rendered fat drippings on bread (holdover from WWII lack of food), eats lots of dairy/cheeses, always cooks her meat well-done, eats smoked deli meats and bread, eats heavy Hungarian stews she cooks from scratch and is healthy as a horse. However, she eats like a bird (small portions).

No one can win, eh?

• Love 5