Type keyword(s) to search

The All You Can Eat Buffet: My 600 Pound Life All Episode Discussion

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, sagittarius sue said:

I didn't mind the bit of funeral coverage they had with Robert's story as it was part of the same story line.  I wouldn't have minded it with Kelly's story as it wouldn't have had such an abrupt ending.  I do mind tacking on a death to older footage.

The footage could be recent, like a regular year-long follow-up, but ending with the bad news. I would not have guessed that they were filming a fourth episode on Sean, though, as it seemed there was just about nothing left to show of  him -- he seemed rather beaten down with nowhere to go and nothing to do. I figured he'd be on some kind of public assistance, living in public housing, not really taking care of himself, until his time was up.

54 minutes ago, missnoa said:

Remembering the WATN I watched, I remember him not unpacking anything in his new place at least partially because he said it "wasn't a one person job" despite it easily being a one person job and him seriously thinking a care facility, which Dr. Now told him was NOT a place designed to be a permanent home, was his "goal" for where he would live after a few months in his new apartment. He was actively shooting for it. He literally could not fathom a world where there wasn't someone taking care of him.

From his point of view it was not a one-person job, meaning he couldn't physically do it all himself. Agree that he really felt he needed others to take care of him, and he probably did.

• Love 1

I can't help but wonder what these people do all day. I am a homemaker with a full day of crafting, chores, dog care, hobbies and errands. I keep myself busy but I don't think I have ever seen one of these people knitting, working a puzzle or reading. Do they just sit there in bed all day? Please tell me I'm wrong.

• Love 4
51 minutes ago, lu1535 said:

I can't help but wonder what these people do all day. I am a homemaker with a full day of crafting, chores, dog care, hobbies and errands. I keep myself busy but I don't think I have ever seen one of these people knitting, working a puzzle or reading. Do they just sit there in bed all day? Please tell me I'm wrong.

Yet the number one reason they give for failing the doctor's weight loss plan is "I have been so busy that I haven't had time to buy/prepare healthy food." Busy doing what? Pooping on bed pads? Oh that has to be so strenuous, oh my!

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, lu1535 said:

I think mostly they watch television and are online with laptops, tablets, and smart phones; probably some gaming, too. Sean was shown crocheting, which his mother had taught him. A few others have been shown doing some kinds of hand crafts from their beds, such as jewelry-making. I think one or two have been shown reading books, but others who are on phones and tablets may be reading ebooks, such as Kindle. Some of them will do food prep and even cook from bed, which I don't think is recommended.

• Love 4

I've watched this from episode 1 and one thing that sticks out is depression.  Maybe not as prevalent in the later seasons, but if you want to see real depression, watch Olivia's first episode (season 1) and her follow up.  

It could be editing why we don't see it, but why I have a lot of compassion for almost all.  Not Steven or Penny or Angie  They have other issues and depression may be a component.  

It's an insidious disease.  Root causes are tough and Ms. Lola doesn't have a clue. For me it's genetic, with the added bonus of anxiety.  But no triggers or trauma.  It is what it is.  I weigh 95 pounds FWIW.

• Love 7

I kind of feel like the "busy" is like the hoarders, as in spending all day moving the hoard. Poundicipants spend all day planning who to exploit next for their food order that could feed ten people.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
(edited)

I bet the muffled voices on the soundtrack to the show, and suddenly become clear, are dubbed over by Dr. Now or who ever was taped originally, and then they become clear again.

I would love to see Janine in a wig that is a light brown, with highlights, and shorter than the shoulder length she has now.    She needs a make up adjustment too.   She's really pretty, and the darker colors of lipstick, and other makeup are too harsh.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3
42 minutes ago, JunkFoodTV said:

I'm watching Sarah to remind me who she is before the update.

I had to Google her. You're not alone.

52 minutes ago, JunkFoodTV said:

I'm watching Sarah to remind me who she is before the update. 😪

I watched Lee and Rena yesterday. Golly I sure hope they are conversating better than before. 😜

I remember Lee and Rena, but I had no idea who Sarah was until I read the last two pages of her thread and saw the words "tater tot" casserole.  I remembered the casserole;  I still don't recall what she looks like.   Well, obviously she was obese, but.....

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
(edited)

My tv schedule is showing a Sean update with a new date for next Wednesday.
The blurb on the TLC page shows Sean and has a "NEW" tag, and reads " In the 4th year of his weight loss journey, Sean struggles to get past the loss of his mother, and live on his own.  Dr. Now intervenes to control Sean's eating for a time, but if Sean can't learn to control himself, he will face the direst of consequences."
(In the good old days of XP, that would have been easily copied and pasted.)

(oh, and thanks Mod for removing the one I screwed up.)

Edited by auntjess
40 minutes ago, fonfereksglen said:

So .....  next episode is two hours of watching Sean slowly die???

Guess Paddy Chayefsky was truly prescient about how low the tv networks are willing to go to lure in viewers.

He was pretty much dying in the previous update.  I felt so horrible for him and God forgive me, but I hope his mother is burning in hell for what she did to him.  Out of spite for the dad?  Can't speculate about anything regarding him but he came across as a good guy but for not wanting to take in his son.  But how many years did mom keep him away?  Was there any sort of relationship especially when faced with taking custody of a huge, emotionally stunted man child who only can feed himself?  

Chad was such a tragedy and didn't need to be.  His life was designed by mom from hell and it was all he knew.  

• Love 2
On 6/5/2019 at 4:55 PM, PrincessPurrsALot said:

Sarah did not make a strong impression. I sense she will be the palate cleanser for Lee and Rena.

Only her tator tot casserole left an impression.

• LOL 2
5 hours ago, fonfereksglen said:

So .....  next episode is two hours of watching Sean slowly die???

I'm afraid that's what it will be. Sean just couldn't take care of himself, but even when his mother was alive he was quite resistant to change, and didn't do a lot of what he should have, even when his mother was encouraging him to watch calories and to be more active. He complained and then his mother would give in. She shouldn't have given in, but Sean's lack of progress was his fault too, not only his mother's.

I've been re-watching his first three episodes this weekend, as prep for this week's new episode. And I've found that as bad as Sean's mother was, he was pretty bad himself. And his father was awful. His father really bailed on him when he was supposed to be helping him to prepare to relocate to a smaller apartment. While it's true that Sean was making the process difficult by not wanting to throw things away, his father should not have just thrown in the towel and split. He should have had some serious conversations with his son, and try to get him to see the light. But I guess then he would have been a different person.

• Love 4
(edited)
6 hours ago, ProTourist said:

I've been re-watching his first three episodes this weekend, as prep for this week's new episode. And I've found that as bad as Sean's mother was, he was pretty bad himself. And his father was awful. His father really bailed on him when he was supposed to be helping him to prepare to relocate to a smaller apartment. While it's true that Sean was making the process difficult by not wanting to throw things away, his father should not have just thrown in the towel and split. He should have had some serious conversations with his son, and try to get him to see the light. But I guess then he would have been a different person.

I have some sympathy for Dad.  I would have simply thrown away the crap and let Sean throw a tantrum over it.  

Edited by ThereButFor
  • Love 8
On 6/10/2019 at 12:02 PM, Otter said:

Oops!  I meant Sean.  Chad did great and I liked him!  :)  

I read Chad's book. He was pretty brutally honest with himself. And I adore his wife. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Thanks to Miss Schenee's YouTube channel, I've become familiar with the term "mukbang," but not until today did I look into what it means. Man, there are a lot of mukbangers on YouTube. Watching some of them, it's easy to tell how addiction to fast food can get started. Here's a sample, which I'm sure would infuriate Dr. Now:

(edited)
On 6/10/2019 at 12:49 AM, ProTourist said:

Sean just couldn't take care of himself, but even when his mother was alive he was quite resistant to change, and didn't do a lot of what he should have, even when his mother was encouraging him to watch calories and to be more active. He complained and then his mother would give in. She shouldn't have given in, but Sean's lack of progress was his fault too, not only his mother's.

I always felt his mother was the only one who thought Dr. Now's diet was too strict, and he was asking too much of them.  I felt that had she encouraged him, he might have tried harder.

Edited by auntjess
  • Love 4

Just wondering if a new topic will be created for this evening's new Where Are They Now? episode for Jennifer & Marissa and Liz?

I'm looking forward especially to find out how Liz is doing with her walking.

• Love 1

My prediction for tonight.....marissa and Jen will have made great progress and Liz will still be in bed, possibly her sick mother will have died from having to take care of her (if I’m thinking of the correct person) and she will still be the little ball of sunshine she was in her initial episode.

3 hours ago, ProTourist said:

Here is the latest from Dr. Now's Instagram. Whose stomach do you suppose this is?

[There was no caption I could find, just the photo plus comments from visitors.]

62582012_2117061148592567_16406612049376

Just what one needs to stick on the fridge door as a deterrent!

• LOL 4
(edited)

I think Liz is the patient that was in her original surgery, had a lot of relatives show up to wait for her.      When Dr. Now said she was OK, and doing well, there was zero reaction out of them.      It was a very low key episode, and Liz is still the same way, passive, and virtually no emotion.       

I guess that's better than the one who screamed about everything a couple of weeks ago, Janine.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
1 hour ago, ShortyMac said:

Joe, from Season 3, is divorcing his wife, Sarah.

I am sure I saw it, but I don't remember him.   I guess I will go read some old posts to refresh my memory banks.

• Love 1

Is Joe the one who lost a lot of weight, met Sarah online, and went to meet her, and they were engaged very quickly?   I think Sarah had a daughter, and then lost a baby later, and then Sarah and Joe married.   The wedding was on the show, and Joe's mother almost didn't come to the wedding.   They did at least one update show, or he was part of an update, but I don't know if there was anything since.   

• Love 1
(edited)
18 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Is Joe the one who lost a lot of weight, met Sarah online, and went to meet her, and they were engaged very quickly?   I think Sarah had a daughter, and then lost a baby later, and then Sarah and Joe married.   The wedding was on the show, and Joe's mother almost didn't come to the wedding.   They did at least one update show, or he was part of an update, but I don't know if there was anything since.   

Yeah,  I didn't recall how they met, but the rest of it sounds  about right.  I think maybe she was preggers for the wedding and then lost the baby.   I just skimmed thru the  chat with Joe and Pauline in a WATN episode.

There was a lot of discussion in those posts about wedding costs and the food and dresses.

When I  married, my mom's friend catered it.   I don't recall doing any tastings, but the food was great.  I wore an Edwardian style dress.

Son and DIL had a quick courthouse wedding as they had to go out of the country for work and wanted to be married in case something happened to one of them.   And DIL had a really bad allergic reaction in a third world area and nearly died.  

One of the best weddings I ever went to was the wedding of one of my daughter's oldest friends.  It was at the home of the groom's parents in the mountains.  A local BBQ joint catered it,   The groom's sister liked to bake so she made about 10 normal size cakes of various flavors.  It was great.

My daughter married three years ago;  her dress had capped sleeves, but she had them removed so she had a sleeveless gown.   We went with her and her fiance' to all the tastings.  They selected a strawberry cake with a butter cream icing which was very moist and tasty (It would not have been my choice) for the bride's cake; the groom's cake was a chocolate peanut butter one.   I think hers was $750 and his $250;  I think the final tally for acceptances was 125.  ( I recently came across my wedding planning book or I would not remember these numbers so well.)  

Edited by Twopper
  • Love 5
16 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Yes. 

1517504526_joemy600lblifefacebook06-24-19.png.1c073fe47530bfbc00e85114a3e9418f.png

• Useful 4
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, ShortyMac said:

43 minutes ago, ShortyMac said:

Yes. 

1517504526_joemy600lblifefacebook06-24-19.png.1c073fe47530bfbc00e85114a3e9418f.png

Thanks for the update, ShortyMac. I'm sorry to know that Joe and Sarah's marriage has failed after nearly three years, but their relationship always seemed a bit rushed to me. I cannot find any reference to this news online, nor on Joe's FB fan page. Can you let us know your source for this info, perhaps a link?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ShortyMac said:

Yes. 

giphy.gif

Clearly, your VagueBooking skills needs some fine tuning as it's clear you're saying she cheated on you. Which may well be true but clearly there was something lacking in your marriage that YOU MAY WELL SHARE SOME BLAME IN but lack the self awareness to do it.

I'm not saying cheating is OK, it's not. It's just that there are always two sides to a story when a marriage ends--neither of which, for the record, are any of my business.

Joe was also the dolt who made a big deal about talking about how much he was there for his mother--then immediately ditched her for Sarah (whom he met on the internet) and her child who he immediately began claiming as his own. I guess his moving back to Tennessee means he's gonna ditch the kid he proclaimed to care so much about, too--just like he did with dear old ma.

Never liked Joe much. He always seemed like a turd to me.

(edited)
20 hours ago, ShortyMac said:

Shocker that this one didn’t work out. Impulsive emotional virgin(s).  Will Joe go home to mama?

PS, what a snotty little bitch. Didn’t she have a child? That post will be nice for him/her to read. 

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, nokat said:

Is going to steal that. 😄

VagueBooking?   Gee, my vocab expands watching this show.   I am still trying to figure out how to insert "I need to learn my stomach" into conversations.

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

giphy.gif

Clearly, your VagueBooking skills needs some fine tuning as it's clear you're saying she cheated on you. Which may well be true but clearly there was something lacking in your marriage that YOU MAY WELL SHARE SOME BLAME IN but lack the self awareness to do it.

I'm not saying cheating is OK, it's not. It's just that there are always two sides to a story when a marriage ends--neither of which, for the record, are any of my business.

Joe was also the dolt who made a big deal about talking about how much he was there for his mother--then immediately ditched her for Sarah (whom he met on the internet) and her child who he immediately began claiming as his own. I guess his moving back to Tennessee means he's gonna ditch the kid he proclaimed to care so much about, too--just like he did with dear old ma.

Based on her indifferent reaction, I thought the scene with mom was staged.  Joe was hard to like.  The rare success story I didn't care about.

• Love 5
On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 6:52 AM, ProTourist said:

Here is the latest from Dr. Now's Instagram. Whose stomach do you suppose this is?

[There was no caption I could find, just the photo plus comments from visitors.]

62582012_2117061148592567_16406612049376

Dis big stomach!

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
On 6/24/2019 at 5:47 PM, Giant Misfit said:

giphy.gif

Wasn’t she pregnant with another mans’ baby when they got married? Seems like he had an inkling had he just looked past the fact that he had boobs to touch

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1

As we watch one Poundicipant after another throw away a second chance at life this season I wonder how many people lost out on this golden opportunity to give themselves a healthy and quality life again.  Take it from someone who took off 297 lbs of stupidity in 25 months....this life is MUCH better than it was at 512 lbs with congestive heart failure.

• Love 13