Type keyword(s) to search

Ellen's Design Challenge - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Reality TV is far from real, but this entire thing seemed contrived. Like a fairy tale thought up by Ellen with herself as the Knight in Shining Armor who rescues the Fair Maiden (Katie--gag!) from the Villain (Tim). Since Tim was the only contestant 'recruited' for the show, maybe he was contracted and paid to provide the "shocking" ending?

The two permanent judges may have been in on the whole thing. My theory is silly, but so was the entire situation.

• Love 1

This wasn't even close. It's not similar, it's identical. Same sliding ends, same center piece lift, same steel legs in the same spot - same stacked wood design! It's a rip-off if ever there was one. He simply did not come up with a unique design, he remade someone else's piece. No way did he just come up with this: "Hmm, I think I'll make a hidden storage desk, with a square center lift - hinges, of course. And then two drawers, one on either side of a metal brace/leg. And then over those drawers, I think I'll add a piece that slides on top, from either end. Nobody has ever seen anything like it! Yeah, that's the ticket."

Simon Schacht Original vs Tim's:

B_JP69KU0AArXNB.jpg

B_JP69QVIAAv0O4.jpg

Dammit Tim! I was rooting for you! We were all rooting for you! /Tyra

Interesting tidbit:

So of course I have to undelete the thing from the DVR to hear it for myself, and damned if he didn't say just that. I'm thinking eventually someone watched those tapes, went looking for whatever he discussed and found it.

Tim could've departed more from the original.  I think the giant L-shaped desk cover hovering over you is just bad feng shui, in both.  Why not make that piece have a couple piano hinges so it folds into a compact ledge where you could prop up a tablet or papers?  

Tim could've departed more from the original.

Tim could have actually improved on the original by having the center piece storage pull out or fold down or out so that you actually could have placed pieces on top of the entire piece (the ends pulled out smoothly enough you could place items there) so it wouldn't look like you just had some boards you had sitting on a sawhorse in the middle of your house.

I liked the show and would watch again but it could stand some improvement.

Pros

1. The challenge parameters definitely required a lot of creativity but they were reasonable.

2. The time frame was short but also reasonable, given production constraints.

3. The designers seemed to have been given the best tools to work with and very talented carpenters as well.

4. Personal design preferences aside, all of the designers were very talented.

Cons

1. Ellen's schtick. I've only ever seen the first season of her sitcom and nothing else, but if bumbling Ellen is what she's all about (and I don't think she is), I'm not missing much.

2. The judges. Too much 'tude.

As far as the outcome of the show is concerned, I'm not one who sees conspiracies lurking behind every corner so I don't think Tim's disqualification was a set-up. I(t's not like Katie was a much beloved but less talented competitor going up against a bunch of meanies so the producers intervened to let the underdog triumph.) Tim's final piece may have had a few design differences, but in form and function it was almost identical to the original piece. (FTR, I liked Tim's better.) Maybe his design was triggered by the memory of the original and it wasn't a conscious decision to copy but no way it was just pure coincidence. Had it been an original as was stated in the challenge parameters, he absolutely would have deserved the win over Katie, whose piece was beautifully crafted but too disjointed, I think.

I do think Katie is very talented (someone upthread said that she's a RISD grad and RISD doesn't accept hacks) so hopefully, she'll outgrow her extremely annoying affectations (my daughter, also a Brooklyn resident, had a wicked vocal fry going on there for a while but dropped it with a bit of effort once it was pointed out.) I thought she made some wonderfully fun and creative pieces (even the cow table) and even though I don't share her aesthetic, I can appreciate the talent behind it. Same with Tim.

Good post and I agree with everything.   

• Love 2
Tim could've departed more from the original.

Tim could have actually improved on the original by having the center piece storage pull out or fold down or out so that you actually could have placed pieces on top of the entire piece (the ends pulled out smoothly enough you could place items there) so it wouldn't look like you just had some boards you had sitting on a sawhorse in the middle of your house.

I think for the uses he suggested it for (storing your fine silver and tablecloths) you'd be in it so seldom you could put whatever you wanted all over the top.  I can see it with one voluminous plant or other fauna arrangement on top.  That'd be quick to move.  Plus it'd look more like a console table, less like a sawhorse with boards.  You couldn't put furniture on either side of it if you wanted to get into those drawers easily, too, though.  But in a formal dining room with a couple side chairs flanking it, I could see that.  

I'm more into clean, modern design but I would have any of Tim's pieces in my house.  The only one of Katie's I liked was the red cabinet.  The cow table was interesting before it had legs.  

This show reminds me some of Project Runway in that the best person at construction is probably likely to win, though it's not about that, it's about design.  Maybe they should judge these shows based on paper designs, or with all the paper designs turned over to the same construction team to build.  

(edited)
I think for the uses he suggested it for (storing your fine silver and tablecloths)

His suggestion of those things literally made me roll my eyes. At best those draws could hold a full silver setting for four and maybe napkins and a runner for the same number but a piece that large really didn't have that much actual storage. He should have billed it as a desk for a laptop in the middle and papers/bills on the sides.

I liked the piece and Tim but I also literally said "WTF" when he said it would keep your heirloom silver safe because the theif would have to walk out with the entire piece, no dumbass all they would have to do was easily slide open the drawers or open the top as they would do with any other credenza/sideboard. It wasn't like it was a puzzle or lock mechanism you had to figure out in order to get into it, the seams where it opened where clearly visible.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 5

His suggestion of those things literally made me roll my eyes. At best those draws could hold a full silver setting for four and maybe napkins and a runner for the same number but a piece that large really didn't have that much actual storage. He should have billed it as a desk for a laptop in the middle and papers/bills on the sides.

Since the piece he copied is a desk, he might have tried to divert their attention.  

• Love 1

I am very saddened by this outcome.  I was so happy for Tim's win and was shocked at the disqualification.  I really thought Tim had a knack for combining rustic and industrial element to create something very sleek and sophisticated.

The quote pointed out by the article linked by SnarkKitty was something that kind of confused me when I was watching the show.  I realized he wanted his design to be original, but thought it was odd that he made a point of referring to designers in other countries.  I could not understand at that time why it would matter if his piece stood out from American designers or designers abroad.  Now, it makes sense.

I was also disappointed with Katie's finale outfit.  I was expecting something along the lines of a sarong wrap skirt with a cookie monster t-shirt...paired with chunky boots and a duster that had geometric shapes cut out of it in random areas.  What she wore seemed almost normal, though it had a slight lab coat vibe. 

• Love 1
(edited)

That's what I was thinking ("since the piece he copied is a desk, he might have tried to divert their attention).  He could've made it a gun cabinet but then Wayfair Witch would've been even more critical of it not being something a woman could use.  I liked his idea to make it a bar cabinet but he already did one of those, right?  A vanity might've been cute and unique.  Make the big cover a mirror on the back and use chrome legs and maybe paint the whole thing a more feminine color.  Though honestly it's best use was probably just as he implied -- as dining room storage or as a desk in hiding.  

Edited by Guest

I've given this far more thought than it may deserve because I just didn't see Tim as devious or dishonest.  Here's my theory for what it's worth - which may be nothing at all. 

I think Tim thought that adapting a piece he'd seen somewhere to fit his own style would make it "original" enough because very few furniture pieces are totally original.  All tables have legs or supports of some kind.  All couches have some place to sit, etc.  We saw that oddly edited bit of conversation with Chip about making the piece look like it came from him (Tim).  I think that came from a discussion during which Tim told Chip about the original design then Chip, who seemed to dislike Tim from what I could see, told the PTB.  The Wayfair witch/sponsor was elated by the opportunity to give the win to Katie and pressed HGTV or Ellen or both to disqualify Tim.

I could be dead wrong but I'm happy with my theory.  :)

• Love 8

I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist either, but even if I were, I can't begin to imagine how TPTB would think that this would be a satisfactory outcome for anyone--even, to some degree, Katie, who didn't get the original confetti and applause, but just was informed of the win on an almost-empty sound set.  I mean, I'm sure she's glad she won, but would have much preferred it to be straightforward.  It reflects badly on the show to have such an ignominious finale, so I can't imagine they'd actually create this!

Even if there were a fix, it's not Katie's fault.  I didn't hear the vocal fry until you all pointed it out (now of course I do, ack), but I think it and the worse affectations are things she can grow out of.  I like her (liked Tim and Gaspar too, though), and am happy for her.  

I don't know what was up with Tim, but if it was subconscious, I do feel bad for him.  

• Love 4

I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist either, but even if I were, I can't begin to imagine how TPTB would think that this would be a satisfactory outcome for anyone--even, to some degree, Katie, who didn't get the original confetti and applause, but just was informed of the win on an almost-empty sound set.  I mean, I'm sure she's glad she won, but would have much preferred it to be straightforward.  

I've only been following the show every couple of episodes, so I had no emotional investment in the outcome. Still, I felt bad for Katie too. Sure, it's great for her that she ended up getting some money and exposure, but what they really were saying to her was, "You are here because of a technicality, not because you blew us away. You have won by default." I would have been so embarrassed. I'm hyper-competitive, however, so winning is always more important to me than the reward. YMMV. 

• Love 3

I'm hoping they awarded both of them the $100k.  It seems fair.  I don't think Tim purposely cheated, just misinterpreted their idea of 'original'.  Though it makes a better reality tv story to say one was eliminated and one was the (only) winner.  

That thing reminded me of a huge, wooden Barbecue Grill.   I can't unsee it now. 

I would have liked for Ellen to actually judge something herself, especially the final challenge.  She likes furniture?  Why? Why does she like design?  We saw a single piece that she owns, the credenza/buffet/console thing.  But otherwise we have absolutely no other info about what drew her to doing this show.

It wasn't a bad show, but I didn't care for many of the personalities involved, including contestants, carpenters and judges. 

I liked Gaspar. 

• Love 4

There is no way on earth most of those pieces were made in 2 days, not even by squads of skilled woodworkers working in 24 hour shifts. I don't understand the point of the artificial 2 day deadline, except from a dramatic standpoint - but it was never dramatioc because everyone always finished.

And the ending was just odd.

• Love 2

Of course my DVR doesn't record it and my cable doesn't show this being repeated.  Does anyone know if it is being rerun?

Tim McClellan retweeted
Ellen DeGeneres @TheEllenShow  ·  2h 2 hours ago

It's the most talked about moment in furniture design show history. Tim was disqualified after winning my show.Thursday he tells me his side

• Love 1

Had they not disqualified Tim the truth would come out.   Someone, down the line, would recognize the plagiarism and the internet would be buzzing.  They had to do this.  I don't think his design was original enough.

There is no conspiracy here.  It is a design show and this hoopla will bring attention to the show and it will bring viewers for next season.  AND the new contestants will be very careful! 

I think Katie is thrilled with her 100k and certainly has shown enough of her creative ability to have someone snag her.  Sure, she has some things to learn but the  skill and vision are there. 

Of course my DVR doesn't record it and my cable doesn't show this being repeated.  Does anyone know if it is being rerun?

Tim McClellan retweeted

It's the most talked about moment in furniture design show history. Tim was disqualified after winning my show.Thursday he tells me his side

It hasn't been aired yet.  Probably tomorrow. 

• Love 4

Look...the show was not live..it was taped!  When did they discover the "plagerism"?  It should not have been shown the way it was shown.  They should have just given the win to Katie and be done with it.    Ellen should be ashamed of herself for even having her name on this show.  She appeared all of 10 minutes total for the whole run of the show and now she allows this crap.

• Love 7
(edited)

That thing reminded me of a huge, wooden Barbecue Grill.   I can't unsee it now. 

I would have liked for Ellen to actually judge something herself, especially the final challenge.  She likes furniture?  Why? Why does she like design?  We saw a single piece that she owns, the credenza/buffet/console thing.  But otherwise we have absolutely no other info about what drew her to doing this show.

It wasn't a bad show, but I didn't care for many of the personalities involved, including contestants, carpenters and judges. 

I liked Gaspar. 

Ellen does not own that piece.  It was from a designer she liked.  For all we know the judges could have chosen that. 

Ellen is into design and furniture.  She has moved a lot and designed many homes.  It is a passion of hers and she is good at it.  As far as her being a judge, no.  You really need professional furniture designers to be judges.  Not that we got that this time but I think next season we will.  New shows need to establish themselves to bring the big dogs.

Another aspect is Ellen's image.  She is not a judge.  Her persona and reputation is built on who she is.  She is kind, witty and she judges no one, ever.  Her appearance on this show needs to be handled.  She bombed.  She is capable of so much more. 

Look...the show was not live..it was taped!  When did they discover the "plagerism"?  It should not have been shown the way it was shown.  They should have just given the win to Katie and be done with it.    Ellen should be ashamed of herself for even having her name on this show.  She appeared all of 10 minutes total for the whole run of the show and now she allows this crap.

Yes it was taped and the finale wrapped and in the can.  They found out after the edit.  I like the way they handled it.  A clear warning to others who do this anywhere on any show.  I liked the realness of it.  The part with telling Katie was lousy.  They did not handle that well, granted but it was an honest attempt to make it right. 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 3
Ellen does not own that piece.  It was from a designer she liked.  For all we know the judges could have chosen that.

I am pretty certain that they said that it was her favorite piece in her office and that she does own it.

• Love 1

I am pretty certain that they said that it was her favorite piece in her office and that she does own it.

If she owned it, she would have recognized that Tim's piece was a copy & said something instead of letting the judges pick him as the winner.

If she owned it, she would have recognized that Tim's piece was a copy & said something instead of letting the judges pick him as the winner.

The poster wasn't refering to the finale piece, but rather the episdoe where they showed a credenza/bookshelf in Ellen's office that they were supposed to be inspired by in a previous challenge.

The poster wasn't refering to the finale piece, but rather the episdoe where they showed a credenza/bookshelf in Ellen's office that they were supposed to be inspired by in a previous challenge.

Ahh I see, I was confused, never mind :-)

Could be.  I heard it was from a designer she liked.  It doesn't really matter to me, anyway. 

Interesting Tweet:

It's the most talked about moment in furniture design show history. Tim was disqualified after winning my show.Thursday he tells me his side.

BTW, you cannot plagiarize an idea. An idea can't be copyrighted. His piece may have been a copycat, but it was different enough that plagiarism isn't really in play here.  

• Love 1
(edited)

Interesting Tweet:

BTW, you cannot plagiarize an idea. An idea can't be copyrighted. His piece may have been a copycat, but it was different enough that plagiarism isn't really in play here.  

You can however copyright a design if you illustrate it was unique/original. I do not know if the designer did copyright his piece though I doubt he did since the original piece had many elements that are fairly standard.

Edited by biakbiak

You can however copyright a design if you illustrate it was unique/original. I do not know if the designer did copyright his piece.

Unlikely you can copyright a piece of furniture.  Probably impossible unless it had computerized components or anything that was totally new and innovative. 

Google what it takes to get a copyright.  There are too many articles to quote here.  

Unlikely you can copyright a piece of furniture.  Probably impossible unless it had computerized components or anything that was totally new and innovative. 

Google what it takes to get a copyright.  There are too many articles to quote here.  

Yes and there are many talking about it in the furniture industry where the copyright has been successfully upheld. Like I said I doubt he copyrighted it because it was a one off design and it did have elements that are not original; however, it is possible.

(edited)

Yes and there are many talking about it in the furniture industry where the copyright has been successfully upheld. Like I said I doubt he copyrighted it because it was a one off design and it did have elements that are not original; however, it is possible.

I should have said next to impossible or very hard!  LOL!

Still, not what the show required. 

Edited by wings707

Ellen does not own that piece.  It was from a designer she liked.  For all we know the judges could have chosen that. 

Ellen is into design and furniture.  She has moved a lot and designed many homes.  It is a passion of hers and she is good at it.  As far as her being a judge, no.  You really need professional furniture designers to be judges.  Not that we got that this time but I think next season we will.  New shows need to establish themselves to bring the big dogs.

Another aspect is Ellen's image.  She is not a judge.  Her persona and reputation is built on who she is.  She is kind, witty and she judges no one, ever.  Her appearance on this show needs to be handled.  She bombed.  She is capable of so much more. 

Yes it was taped and the finale wrapped and in the can.  They found out after the edit.  I like the way they handled it.  A clear warning to others who do this anywhere on any show.  I liked the realness of it.  The part with telling Katie was lousy.  They did not handle that well, granted but it was an honest attempt to make it right. 

Except that one season of American Idol where she was a judge.  

(edited)

Except that one season of American Idol where she was a judge.  

Yes, and she hated it and would not agree to another season.  She felt very uncomfortable and spoke about that openly.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 1

I like Ellen but if she's uncomfortable with reality tv judging people maybe she should let someone else put their name on the show.  She didn't come off well, she did appear to have nothing to do with the show, and I don't think the show came off well, with the disqualification of a well-liked contestant.  

He said on camera something about the European designer, before he made the piece.  Why didn't they tell him then not to go there or disqualify him before awarding him the win?  I figure either no one was paying attention to the process or they wanted the drama.  

There is no way on earth most of those pieces were made in 2 days. . .

I think the time frame for the final was "72 hours," which is a good way to say it.  They could wiggle that into several days by stopping the clock for mealtimes and non-construction periods.  Project Runway drives me nuts with "You have one day!  See you tomorrow at the runway!" and then they have to create the design, drive to Mood, shop, drive back, eat, sleep, pee, model fittings, hair/makeup and film their little talking head segments.

The judges on both shows do that stupid fake hand-wringing where it's IMPOSSIBLE for them to choose one design over another, but at least the furniture people don't have to dash back and throw together a coffeetable to break the tie. 

: )

I have today's Ellen Show all DVR'ed and ready to go in case there's a Tim sighting.  Thanks, Auntjess!

• Love 3
(edited)

I think the time frame for the final was "72 hours," which is a good way to say it.  They could wiggle that into several days by stopping the clock for mealtimes and non-construction periods.  Project Runway drives me nuts with "You have one day!  See you tomorrow at the runway!" and then they have to create the design, drive to Mood, shop, drive back, eat, sleep, pee, model fittings, hair/makeup and film their little talking head segments.

The judges on both shows do that stupid fake hand-wringing where it's IMPOSSIBLE for them to choose one design over another, but at least the furniture people don't have to dash back and throw together a coffeetable to break the tie. 

: )

I have today's Ellen Show all DVR'ed and ready to go in case there's a Tim sighting.  Thanks, Auntjess!

Yes, I am sure the clock is only running in the work room.  It would take the better part of the day to drive and choose supplies for either show.  And there are retakes and ITMs along the way, as well.   

Edited by wings707

The cavalier way the show is treating the entire spectacle is bothering me more than the actual design rip off, at this point.  It seems to be "Cool! We're getting lots of attention!" instead of embarrassment that they didn't notice there was a problem with Tim's design until after the confetti party.  I am befuddled that they didn't edit the last 10 minutes or so of the program to handle this situation better.  They went for glee that they could have a SHOCKING TWIST for their show. 

• Love 6
(edited)

Tim had to be disqualified. That was about as close as you can get to a straight-up copy outside of using a Xerox. If this had not been found out and the show would have aired with Tim as the winner, The End, complete with a victory interview on Ellen's show, it would have been an image disaster for the show and everyone involved (cough, Wayfair, cough). And, unfairly, it would have called into question the other designers and if they had been copying other people's work.

I don't think Tim is a bad guy. He is very talented and has come up with some good stuff. He may have just caved to the pressure of coming up with whatever he wanted to design but only having a limited time to execute it. He should have just cribbed from something he'd done in the past in his own business.

I really wish one of them had done a bed.

Katie gets some credit for going outside her acrylic comfort zone. Although it sucks for her that she had to win in such a backdoor way. She worked hard and deserved better than that.

Edited by MsChicklet
  • Love 4

I agree MsChicklet.  It seems clear that the plagiarism was not discovered until way too late to build the set again and stage another ending.  This is an embarrassment and not something they did on purpose to bet some buzz.  

What I think happened.  Someone on that finale set registered that it looked familiar.  Someone followed up on that hunch and researched it.  It was too late to stage another ending for many reasons we probably could not guess.  And I think they probably did some research on Tim's other pieces, as well,  so it took some time. 

Forget the "one week later."  I think it was more than that. 

I just do not see any conspiracy or monkey business at all.  Katie's ending was thrown together.  They did not handle that well at all.  If this were a plan that would have been tighter.  It looked to me that she either knew or suspected what was going to happen.  I believe the designers and carpenters kept in touch.  If I were going to guess, Katie's carpenter told her that they had discovered Tim's piece was copied.  

• Love 1

I can't come up with an alternative scenario that would have been better. 

The final Katie/Winner segment was awkward, but what would NOT have been?  Rounding everyone up and blowing another confetti cannon?  A screencard announcing Tim was ultimately disqualified and Katie was declared default winner?  Wah-waah.  I think a simple one-on-one with Ellen--and Katie's loved ones coming out to congratulate her--was the most dignified option. 

Lots of shows would have re-shot the finale with Katie as winner to try and save themselves the embarrassment, which is much more devious, not to mention the unavoidable rumors swirling around.

I've been reading comments around the 'net and people are screaming like that prize money is being garnished directly out of their own paychecks. (My favorite:  Ellen emasculated the male competitor in furtherance of her lesbian agenda.) 

They had a bad situation and I think they scratched up as much dignity and integrity as possible.

• Love 4

I do believe they had 72 hours as in 3 days.  I don't think they had the production budget to spend a week on one piece.  Though I can believe they had more help than just their one carpenter.  

I think that the HGTV personalities on the home remodeling shows don't any of the remodeling themselves, either.  Well, I think they do just enough to get 10 seconds of footage of Chip Gaines hoisting a beam and Jonathon Scott laying tile.  

I think the timeline of this is what can be confusing. It sounded like, in the week after the finale, the copying was discovered and confirmed. Then, they would have had to call in the lawyers. First, to see if this is something that could get them sued. Second, to determine if what Tim did was a violation of the rules and his contract, in order to see if he could and should be disqualified. Then, the PR crisis teams from HGTV, Ellen, and Wayfair all would have had to cobble together a plan to end this thing. There had to be at least a few weeks, if not a month, between the finale shoot and a decision on how to proceed.

I feel bad for Katie with this backlash. This was not her fault, and the way she's being dragged into this and bashed in the comments of other news stories is not fair to her.

I don't know how they ever could have re-shot the ending.  I can't imagine Tim wanting to come back after winning and then being disqualified.  He would have to stand up on stage, and pretend that none of that ever happened, after being completely humiliated.  Then, he would have to congratulate Katie, when she is announced as the winner.  That would never happen.

• Love 1

I don't know how they ever could have re-shot the ending.  I can't imagine Tim wanting to come back after winning and then being disqualified.  He would have to stand up on stage, and pretend that none of that ever happened, after being completely humiliated.  Then, he would have to congratulate Katie, when she is announced as the winner.  That would never happen.

I think it was more humiliating to have him not even there to address the issue, as if he was guilty of outright stealing and hiding from them over it.  I think the idea of reshooting the ending included not airing the original footage of him winning, so viewers wouldn't have to know about the allegations at all.  Or do you mean he'd be too mortified to reshoot it just in front of those involved in the taping?  If I were him, I'd be more into reshooting the ending than what did go down.  

And Tim did congratulate Katie for the win.  

I don't think they should have reshot the celebration, but they should have edited out the Tim confetti party, talked about the problem, and then had a separate ceremony for Katie.  I thought the whole announcement in front of a cheering crowd was stupid to being with.  This isn't a high school talent show. 

• Love 1