Type keyword(s) to search

Ellen's Design Challenge - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

Vivian was the only one who followed the directive.  Chair turns into a table as opposed to a kitchen island that is a kitchen island or a desk that is a desk.  

Go Vivian!!!!

I think, technically, Miles made a rolling cart that turns into a kitchen island (which still is nothing original).  And Sef made a desk that turns into a desk.  

Go Vivian

Myles's piece was not only not innovative or a true transformation piece, it was a bad design. He's done a few pieces I've liked, but he was up-and-down for me. I'm not disappointed that he didn't make the finale. And I knew he was going home from very early on. Not because of any woo-woo conspiracy theory, but because of how he behaved in his talking heads. Those are all taped after the competitive portion of the show is over, and the results are known. His affect was even more flatline and robotic than usual. I think he was making an effort, but couldn't hide that he was the one cut.

I agree that Miles's piece wasn't up to par, but I still wanted him to win so that I wouldn't have to worry about Sef being in the Finale.  

So let me make sure I understand this correctly: Sef's piece is a desk. It converts into a lower-height surface so it can be used as a child's desk. So... where's the chair one would use at this desk? Is it sized for an adult, or for a child? Because the two heights of table couldn't work with the same chair. So it's one desk that you'd need two chairs to use? How, exactly, is that helpful or functional for anyone? I just don't get the concept. That mechanism looked like it could snap a child's fingers off, but ok, I guess that doesn't count for some reason. 

And it had shelves behind the desk to store the child's art supplies even thought the child probably couldn't reach the stuff on the shelf.  What is up with Sef wanting to have storage behind furniture?  Does he have some sort of aversion to storage that is more accessible?  I picture his home to have bookcases behind the couches and cabinets behind his headboard.  

Vivian gets "dinged" for not making two while Sef doesn't get an obvious "you should have made a chair that would convert to both heights." If the judge hadn't said something to Vivian about the second one when they had the initial conversation, I would have thought the only reason he said it at judging was to find something wrong with he piece.    When it is a chair, it is much to low to go with the table when it is a table.  

Sef's design was very reminiscent of his table a few episodes back, as far as the concave/convex shape - it was a bench, an adult's table and a child's easel/table. It met the challenge, it did have an art to it as well as function. None of the judges were impressed with his assertion that it was also an adult's drafting board. I have no idea why they tried to tape the power strip in there, unless it was because they felt it was too dark to see the interior detail otherwise. 

I didn't see anything on the table that would keep something on it when it is in a slanted position.  How could it be a child's easel or an adult's drafting table or even an adult's reading table when everything just slides off?

Edited by needschocolate
  • Love 2

Next year I'd like to see them given at least another day. I get that part of the challenge is seeing how they work when they are rushed, but as it is I don't believe the drama - ooo, look, everyone JUST gets done as the clock ticks off the final second! - anyway, so give them a day to do final finishes and then ding them harder for things that have rough edges and bad finishes.

Hello, Project Runway!  Another show that accepts crappy sub-par product for the sake of drama and completely misses the point that people would prefer to see the talent actualized.

• Love 3

The finale should be interesting. 
With all the comments on HGTV's and Ellen's Facebook pages, they can't be unaware of
all the outrage against Sef still being there.
I can't see that they can ignore it.

Love Sef and Vivian in the final. Vivian should win because she's awesome. I like sef for his personality. It entertains me when he dramatically expels air from his lungs, tosses his head haughtily, and ineffectually tries to  engage his carpenter in the drama.

Miles and Kyle were both really really boring to watch

Honestly, I'd love a final show of just vivian.

• Love 1

I think Sef winning is a forgone conclusion. He should have been kicked out last week and wasn't, and should have been kicked out this week, IMO. I don't think Ellen wants her green rooms to look like a dentist's waiting room, but what do I know?

And more importantly, why doesn't Sef comb his damn hair? It looks like hell.

What does Sef have to do to be sent home?!

It seems to me that this season turned out to be an even bigger disgrace than last. I mean the way far better, less ridiculous people kept being shown the door rather than Sef really illustrated a fix was in. Over and over and over again.

The finale should be interesting. 

With all the comments on HGTV's and Ellen's Facebook pages, they can't be unaware of

all the outrage against Sef still being there.

I can't see that they can ignore it.

Sure they can. Not that they set out to do so, but they wound up basically ignoring last season's mess too (acknowledging it in the most roundabout way, then editing it totally out of this year's coverage of last year).

In TV, you ignore what's inconvenient to you.

(edited)

I am rather surprised that the drawer issue (drawergate?) was not mentioned in a voiceover the next week. I understand the season was probably already over by the time it aired, making an actual edit difficult. And maybe the judges were not aware of what happened until the end, although I find that pretty much impossible to believe.

But why not, having surely heard the outcry on social media, insert a voiceover saying that the judges, or whoever is ultimately responsible, reviewed the rules and concluded that what Sef did was not in violation. Maybe note that things will change next season.

It just seems like it would have been prudent to address what the viewers saw and give some explanation as to why nothing was done.

Edited by Mittengirl
  • Love 2

My best guess is that the rules are that you are allowed to use anything in the supply room(s).  The drawers were in the room, so they could use them.  I am also guessing the editors thought the viewers would be such fans of Sef that they would find using the drawers to be an ingenious move.  Otherwise, why bother showing us the drawer stealing at all.  He's is not being punished for it, and, after last year, I would think that if someone did something against the rules, there would immediate consequences.  I can see it taking a while to figure out that someone copied someone else's design, but TPTB knew about the drawer stealing when it happened - there were camera people and other crew, the other carpenters and designers knew about it, the editors saw the film, etc...It isn't like they didn't notice. 

I agree with the poster above that they should have made some sort of acknowledgement once they could see that the public didn't think it was fair.  At least a written blurb at the end of an episode, but maybe they are afraid of even hinting that there is anything that could remotely be a scandal - maybe if they didn't have the issue last year, they would have been a little more public about drawer-gate.  

I don't have a problem with Sef.  I don't think he is a villian in any way.  He is not my favorite, but I don't find him annoying either.  And his designs can be interesting, even though they generally are not my style and I don't think they are as functional as they could be.  However, I still wish Sef was gone, only because he seems to be judged by a different (more lenient) set of rules than the rest of them.  

I keep remembering how the judges kept changing their opinions when that one guest judge (the guy with the huge feet or weird shoes or both) was one a few weeks ago.  I get the feeling that the judges think they look cooler if they like Sef's work - a furniture version of the emperor's new clothes.  

• Love 3

I don't have a problem with Sef.  I don't think he is a villian in any way.  He is not my favorite, but I don't find him annoying either.  And his designs can be interesting, even though they generally are not my style and I don't think they are as functional as they could be.  However, I still wish Sef was gone, only because he seems to be judged by a different (more lenient) set of rules than the rest of them.  

I keep remembering how the judges kept changing their opinions when that one guest judge (the guy with the huge feet or weird shoes or both) was one a few weeks ago.  I get the feeling that the judges think they look cooler if they like Sef's work - a furniture version of the emperor's new clothes.  

Sef's not a villain. He's just a pretentious douchebag. There's a difference. He can be perfectly affable, honest, and even skilled and still be a pretentious douchebag.

There's nothing inherently wrong with the mind mapping stuff we saw him do, by the way. It's just that it's ludicrous under the time restraints, silly with only two people involved... one who wasn't really that into using it (because the main purpose is brainstorming), and just indicative of someone who lives in their own head too much.

• Love 4

The more I think about it, the more I think Sef is blameless in the matter of the drawers, that the drawers were always there as an option for anyone to use and this was common knowledge.  My reasons:

Sef made the size of the dresser to use drawers of that size from the start.  He had to have measured them and included the smaller to larger layout of the drawers from the get go.  It was not a last-minute decision, regardless of the "drama" he probably was told to try to produce. 

The complete lack of reaction from the set crew to the judges and the other designers was telling.  Even Kyle, who seemed to dislike Sef quite a bit, didn't make a sneering remark.  The way the judges asked about the drawer inserts made it obvious they knew he didn't make the drawers themselves.

Other parts of furniture are "farmed out" like the cushions, meaning some things the designers don't have to make themselves.

Vivian used a wall decoration for materials in the outdoor furniture challenge when she ran out of her chainlinkly stuff, so it does seem that anything there is fair game.

YMMV.  I still want Vivian to win because I've liked her stuff the best from the start, but I'm glad Sef is in the finals.  Kyle and Bradley were the ones I got the air of entitlement from, not Sef.  

• Love 4

Yeah! Vivian wins! When the legs were so similar to the original, I was worried but it was beautiful. I think her work for the challenge was well above Sef's. His bed didn't seem practical to me. The spaces on the sides of the "headboard" were awkward. I did feel sorry for him when he apologized to his fiancee for not winning. An enjoyable season. See everyone next year.

• Love 8

I knew Vivian would win, it was well deserved! I was not impressed with Sef's design, I wish Myles would have made the final, Myles would have done a better job than Sef did! Congratulations Vivian!  

• Love 3

I was happy that Vivian won, though I found Sef more likeable this week.  Guess having a fiancee humanized him.
His bed seemed so awkward to me, wth a shelf behind headboard that served no purpose but to prevent the bed from fitting against the wall.

It looked to be about a foot deep, and the only way it might have worked would have been if it was used to hold lamps.
Vivian's table was attractive, but not my favorite of her pieces.

• Love 1

Yay Vivian!!! I couldn't stand Sef.

This episode proves that I have no "gaydar" at all. I thought Sef was gay and Vivian straight.

What makes you think Sef was

I was happy that Vivian won, though I found Sef more likeable this week.  Guess having a fiancee humanized him.

His bed seemed so awkward to me, wth a shelf behind headboard that served no purpose but to prevent the bed from fitting against the wall.

It looked to be about a foot deep, and the only way it might have worked would have been if it was used to hold lamps.

Vivian's table was attractive, but not my favorite of her pieces.

Sef's bed was crap, if Sef had won because of that awful bed, it would have been a travesty!

• Love 1

I am surprised! When they said to build a lamp & Sef said his mother was a lamp designer for 30 years, I just thought, "come on!, is his mommy going to show up & help him too?" That's who I thought was going to be in the box, when they showed his fiancee I thought she looked really young to be his mother LOL. I didn't like Sef's bed, there weren't any drawers which I think beds need, & the lamp reminded me of task lighting which is a little weird for a bed.

• Love 2

I just think a lot of Sef's pieces are awkward.  They are not a beautiful type of "edgy" for me, but just odd.  They seem to be lacking the quality one would look for in pieces that are a little different than the norm.  The bed and lamp were awful...honestly that light over the bed reminded me of some operating room.  

I really liked Vivian's pieces, and I am so glad she pulled out the win.

• Love 1

I'm really glad Vivian won. She just seems genuine and talented beyond what the other designers were doing. I'm eager to see what she does next, actually. I think she's got a big future ahead of her.

• Love 1

I thought Sef said his mother designed lampSHADES.

I have only one comment: HGTV s***s with not putting any episodes on the website, on TV On-Demand, or on YouTube. I missed some episodes, including 90% of the Finale when I fell asleep, and that appears to be that.

• Love 2
(edited)

HGTV s***s with not putting any episodes on the website, on TV On-Demand, or on YouTube

Amen to that.  If a network is looking to add viewers to new shows, why not give viewers access to the show?  My On-Demand thinks I only want to watch Love It or List It (I HATE both Hilary and David, so an emphatic no thanks there), Fixer Upper (I have to switch channels whenever Chip Gaines starts mugging and showing off), or Property Brothers (which I will indeed watch any time, any where, over and over).  And that's it for the lineup.

Amazed but delighted that Vivian won -- I was certain the fix was in for Sef.  I never imagined that Vivian was straight but I, too, thought that Sef was gay. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.) I assumed at first that his fiancee was his sister because they do resemble each other at least superficially.

Sef is really, really committed to shelving in his furniture, isn't he?  Not necessarily a bad thing, but also not necessarily necessary.

Edited by FineWashables

I was happy Vivian won, although I hated the light fixture. Sef's bed looked very cumbersome and his light didn't fit as an accessory to the bed. I do agree with the judge who said Vivian's piece looked like a console table in a large home or hotel, I have thought that about most of her pieces. 

I actually would have been cool with either Sef or Vivian winning - though I have preferred Vivian throughout the series, I thought Sef made an attractive enough piece, and, as someone said,Sef seemed more personable than previously. However, I did appreciate that Vivian revised her original table, instead of making a completely different design. (Though she nearly went too far in the opposite direction by making a too-close duplicate of her coffee table.) But the more I looked at Vivian's new dining room table, the more I liked it. Very open and airy and graceful, and the white tulips were the perfect adornment - the whole thing made me think of Spring somehow (It doesn't hurt that it is unusually warm here for this time of year today.) I liked how she explained how the wood could never hold up the table, and the metal could never hold up the table, but together they could get the job done. (I remember someone commenting that Vivian was good at presenting, and that was obvious last night.) I much preferred her light fixture to Sef's. Overall a very satisfying end to an enjoyable season - I'll certainly be tuning in assuming there is another season.

For the record, I figured that Vivian was gay a couple of episodes ago, and might have assumed Sef was too, except I remember his mentioning his fiancee by name a while back. I also appreciate presenting a woman's wife or a man's husband so matter or factly (not only here, but lots of other shows too) and how it must be encouraging and comforting to so many kids out there, and normalizing it is to the younger population as a whole.

Please forgive any errors or clunky sentences- making so long a post on a Kindle is haaard!

• Love 1
(edited)

I also appreciate presenting a woman's wife or a man's husband so matter or factly (not only here, but lots of other shows too) and how it must be encouraging and comforting to so many kids out there, and normalizing it is to the younger population as a whole.

I can't imagine that an Ellen DeGeneres show would do it any other way.

edited because word.

Edited by GaT

Looking back on Sef's body of work and his reference to Danish modern, his original bed design seems really bizarre for him.  His remade bed was pretty and I did like the front and side built-in tables (I had a bed with a headboard like that without the side parts, and it was really functional for lamps, books, etc.).

I'm really glad Vivian won.  She had me from the first challenge, and seems like a nice person. 

Great show, great season. 

• Love 1

Yay, Vivian!  So happy she won.  I love her work, she has mad talent.  

Her winning table was not my favorite piece of hers, but I loved the lighting.  THAT was fabulous. 

I liked Sef and never had a problem with him.  The side table extensions were a bit high and as Ellen pointed out the transition from the headboard to the side tables was awkward.  Beautiful looking though.  The light fixture did not look good and they must have edited out their critique on it to maintain suspense.  When they showed the shot from underneath it did not look good and was flickering.  The blonde judge's face said she did not like it.  

Good show!  I am ready for season 3, right now!  

• Love 3

I can't imagine that an Ellen DeGeneres would do it any other way.

Ha! I quite agree. In fact, I was nearly finished typing that before I remembered this was an Ellen DeGeneres production, and of *course* they'd have no problem introducing a woman's wife. It's just that I've noticed that more and more in other programs too - a lot of same-sex couples appear on the House Hunters shows, for example, and I think it's nice for young kids who are gay can see examples of happy, successful lives and marriages that they can aspire to, of living a "normal" life like anybody else, with no one batting an eye over it. Just a thought I've been having - didn't mean anything in particular by it.

• Love 2

So glad Vivian won. I thought Sef's two pieces were okay, I thought Vivian's two pieces were great.  However, I didn't think that Vivian's table and chandelier went together very well, the chandelier was too large for the table (but I didn't think Sef's went together well either).

I made a comment last week about how Sef seems to really like putting storage behind his furniture (the shelf behind his green room couch, the shelf behind the child's desk) and speculated that he had cabinets behind his headboard at home.  I wasn't exactly right but I had to laugh  when I saw the shelf behind the backrest.  I should have realized that he only likes putting shelves behind furniture.  All his shelves would be no fun to dust (not that dusting is fun when it is more accessible, but this would be even less fun).

And, because it is a sentiment worth repeating - I am so glad Vivian won.  

• Love 2

Amen to that.  If a network is looking to add viewers to new shows, why not give viewers access to the show?  My On-Demand thinks I only want to watch Love It or List It (I HATE both Hilary and David, so an emphatic no thanks there), Fixer Upper (I have to switch channels whenever Chip Gaines starts mugging and showing off), or Property Brothers (which I will indeed watch any time, any where, over and over).  And that's it for the lineup.

HGTV has always had a very perfunctory, limited ON DEMAND option. And, yeah, it's usually the most boring shows. I don't even like the Property Brothers (I find them creepy).

I've been a Vivian fan from very early on, so I was ecstatic she won. I wasn't crazy about her light fixture -- the "paddles" seemed too big to me --- but it was better than Sef's. And Sef doesn't bother me that much. I also don't think there was any kind of fix in for him, either. His body of work on the show was superior to either Myles or Kyle to me. Not by a ton, but enough.

I'm very pleased.

• Love 4

I'm glad Vivian won and I liked her body of work better, but I liked Sef's final pieces better than Vivian's. I thought the wood and metal looked awkward together on her table, and the chandelier was completely impractical. It didn't have enough light to be a lighting source in a room. It was more of an art piece.

Sef kept squeezing Vivan's shoulder. He must've done it 3 or 4 times that I noticed. I've never noticed him being a hands-on kinda guy. It seemed like the second carpenter, the one who was not chip was not into hugging. It was awkward between him and Sef, both at the beginning of the show when the bonus carpenters were revealed, and at the end when the carpenters joined the designers.

Did anyone notice Vivian and her carpenter's synchronized scooby head tilts when blonde judge said "we're having you do something that's never been done on this show" (or somethng like that.) His face was half off screen, but it was a funny moment.

I felt a little bad for Sef at the very end. Everyone congratulating Vivian and the confetti and whatnot, and he had to stand there for all of it. At least he has is fiance to comfort him.

• Love 2

Did anyone notice Vivian and her carpenter's synchronized scooby head tilts when blonde judge said "we're having you do something that's never been done on this show" (or somethng like that.) His face was half off screen, but it was a funny moment.

I kept telling my sister that Matt Blashaw and Vivian looked liked siblings. When they did the matching head tilts, it was perfect.

• Love 1

I think it's nice for young kids who are gay can see examples of happy, successful lives and marriages that they can aspire to, of living a "normal" life like anybody else, with no one batting an eye over it. Just a thought I've been having - didn't mean anything in particular by it.

It's at least as important for straight people, and conservative straight people, to see same-sex couples being normal and boring, just like them.

• Love 3

I'm sorry - I guess I am so old that I remember the time when growing up LGBT could be confusing or difficult, and a "happy ending" (as it were) could be a comfort. You know, "hang in there, it gets better" kind of thing. It seems society on the whole has progressed faster than I was aware of, and that's a good thing.

And that's all I have to say about that. :-)

Edited by scootypuffjr
  • Love 1

I just got through watching this and first off I want to say I loved both Tim´s and Katie´s designs, well most of them. Katie made a terrible cow table but it was funny and cute, so I´m glad she wasn´t eliminated because she clearly deserved to be in the finale. Tim made awesome pieces that I´d like to own, even though I´m not into anything masculine, it just looked like good stuff to me. The only problem I had with Tim was his ugly couch, imo it was a lot worse than the cow table. It was simply horrendous and he should have been out in that episode, but the judges decided to base their decision on overall performance up until that point, which was a bit unfair to the welder who made a really pretty and cool couch. I loved Tim´s finale table so much, and didn´t get Katie´s thing at all, so it was a bit sad to see it go down like that. But I liked Katie, she had so many strange mannerisms and weird movements going on all the time, I grew to enjoy her and I loved her acryllic pieces, especially the wardrobe and the salvage desk.

I'm sorry - I guess I am so old that I remember the time when growing up LGBT could be confusing or difficult, and a "happy ending" (as it were) could be a comfort. You know, "hang in there, it gets better" kind of thing. It seems society on the whole has progressed faster than I was aware of, and that's a good thing.

And that's all I have to say about that. :-)

Growing up LGBT still can be confusing and difficult and showing good role models on TV helps.

But your earlier post seemed to state that showing gay couples was only helpful to gay kids.  As I said, it's at least as important to show regular old gay couples to regular old straight people.  This is an important way to battle pervasive discrimination and prejudice.

Edited by RemoteControlFreak

Yes, you are absolutely correct! I meant to acknowledge that in the post you quoted, but I see I forgot. Seeing differing lifestyles is beneficial for everyone. Point well taken.

And that is REALLY all I have to say about that!

Yay Viv!!!

Edited by scootypuffjr

Finally caught this. It was not very good. Didn't care for the judges, and I find Ellen's comedy bits exhausting. I will still keep watching cuz I love creative competitions

So are they flying to contestants to CA every week for judging?! 

• Love 1

I just watched the first episode of the new season. Why were so many of the pieces so small? Many of the pieces did not look useable in a real world setting. I’m side eying the power outage with the one guy because the studio wasn’t dark and had lights on when his assistant came in and announced the power was out. I despise manufactured drama on reality shows. Also not a fan of Ellen’s comedy shenanigans either. It just felt unnecessary. 

• Love 1

I absolutely love these shows and I’m so glad it’s back just because i really love watching these incredibly talented people. However, can Erica please go home next? I just can’t with her.

• Love 3

In Episode 2, I found the art and the furniture pretty pretentious. And the histrionics at elimination were a bit much. Was that Erica?

Episode 3, I liked a couple of the pieces. That one with the purple wood was gorgeous. 

@Inga, if you like watching talented people do creative things, you should check out some of the UK competition shows: Great Pottery Throw Down, Great British Sewing Bee, Glow Up, All That Glitters. These are wonderful shows! 

• Love 3
(edited)

I agree there is a level of pretentious here that is annoying. In episode 2, I thought the writing desk that the guy got eliminated for was pretty cool and not at all commercial . It was better than the tiny settee or whatever that was with the attached lamp. Also, the hysterics were just too much. I love all creative shows so I’m still watching.

Also disliked the narrow gray chair that looked like you would have to lean back to sit in it. The judge who sat in said it was uncomfortable. So uncomfortable and ugly, why would anyone want that just because it went with a painting.

Edited by Madding crowd
  • Love 3

Finished it up. At least, for me, the right person won. I thought Mark's final collection was way better than Ariel's. I have seen a version of her onyx slab light in every gift shop in Sedona! And that raw edge on the onyx slab table was so sharp it would be sending kids and adults alike to the ER regularly. I can't believe none of the judges pointed that out.  

On the whole, the show skewed a bit pretentious for me, and having only one challenge per episode does not hold the interest like the competition shows that feature 2 or 3 challenges. It also doesn't help that I don't find Ellen particularly likeable. 

• Love 1

I really enjoyed this show because I’m really into furniture design and building. I know the show is called “designer” but i thought that it was interesting that Arielle was the only designer who really only designed pieces and then contracted others to actually build the components, whereas almost all the other contestants designed AND built their pieces. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Eh... I didn't think either of the final collections were all that original.   

Mark's table and couch screamed "You'll love it at Levitz!" circa 1982.  I have seen those shapes a million times.  

And like was said, someone's going to kill themselves on Arielle's raw-edge table.  

Overall... I felt like Mark was somehow the Chosen One long before the end.  Something fell apart nearly every week, his piece that was supposed to transition didn't even move, and some kid was going to get a concussion when the hammock on the swing-set collapsed.  What was with that swing set, anyway?  Yeah, it looked great.  But it was just a swing set.  It was pretty, but wasn't interesting. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Bad Example said:

Overall... I felt like Mark was somehow the Chosen One long before the end.

I do think they favored him once he made that tall narrow cabinet with the yellow gold glass plate in it, which, I don't even know what you would possibly use that for ...but it was pretty. 

On 5/22/2021 at 9:39 PM, TVbitch said:

It also doesn't help that I don't find Ellen particularly likeable. 

I think you're not alone and why she likely consciously limited her exposure on the show this time around.

On 5/31/2021 at 12:08 PM, Inga said:

I really enjoyed this show because I’m really into furniture design and building. I know the show is called “designer” but i thought that it was interesting that Arielle was the only designer who really only designed pieces and then contracted others to actually build the components, whereas almost all the other contestants designed AND built their pieces. 

I agree, it bothered me whenever some of the designers were relying so heavily on outside manufacturing (i.e. blow-up outdoor furniture).

but the SO reminded me this isn't Tim Allen's garage-bound Assembly Required "maker" show. ;)