Type keyword(s) to search

Ellen's Design Challenge - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I checked HGTV Facebook page before I came here, and people were all angry about Sef being allowed to stay.
It feels like a fix is in from somewhere.  Maybe Wayfair already has those dressers lined up and ready to ship.

Moderator: looks like this thread was titled too soon.

• Love 3

I can see it getting by on this particular episode, like the judges kept all four and didn't know about the drawer thing at that moment, but I'm hoping this was to create drama and next week they will disqualify him or at least eliminate him... especially since it was highlighted in the aired footage, I expect something to come of it.

i couldn't believe the drawers were not even mentioned. It would be one thing to repurpose the wood somehow, but he didn't do that at all. Between that and his stupid idea of the audio wave which looked more like buckling wood, he should have been gone.

In regard to Kyle's chair not being original. How original could you make a comfy chair and still have it be a chair? I thought the framing he did was different than I have personally seen. The desk and the dresser still looked like what they were. Only Vivian makes pieces which to me don't look like what they are supposed to be. I have  a bit of a problem with that I guess. They are not making art installations, they are making furniture. And much like Project Runway, you can only do so many things to make it innovate. At the end of the day, a dress is a dress and a chair is a chair. It is always hard to guess at what the judges want too.

• Love 3

As someone who.is watching the show for the first time this season, can somebody please give me a quick, Reader's Digest version of last year's scandal? Thank you in advance.

I didn't know either so I had to Google it. I didn't watch last season.

Edited by Maharincess

In regard to Kyle's chair not being original. How original could you make a comfy chair and still have it be a chair? I thought the framing he did was different than I have personally seen.

Sorry Mad!  My parents have had a set of furniture, 2 chairs & a sofa, in almost that exact same design...since the 70's...Danish Modern! 

If I lived nearby, I would nab that set so fast, it's beautiful, sturdy and comfy and never out of fashion (at least in my eyes)

• Love 1

Well.... that was disappointing... Kyle did not deserve to go home for that couch. It was a different style, which yes seemed a bit retro to me, but it had some really unique details, it fit the green room it was in and it sounds like it was comfy.

Sef may have built something that was nicely constructed (and at least he didn't cheat this time) but it didn't look like a comfortable green room waiting around sort of couch. Airport chairs was a perfect description of it. Not to mention that I still think he should be disqualified for what happened last week (obviously.)   

Are we going to have another season where the winner gets dethroned after a scandal? You would think production would be more careful about that... no way they didn't expect the audience to react negatively to using the workbench drawers.

Anyway... back to the couches. I was happy with the winner, I like the chaise portion added on to couches. But the red couches turned out nice too, again with some small details that made it more than just a couch. I like all of the designs but Sefs....

• Love 2

I think Sef winning is a forgone conclusion. He should have been kicked out last week and wasn't, and should have been kicked out this week, IMO. I don't think Ellen wants her green rooms to look like a dentist's waiting room, but what do I know?

And more importantly, why doesn't Sef comb his damn hair? It looks like hell.

Edited by Mittengirl
  • Love 5

What does Sef have to do to be sent home?! He dismisses the advice of the judges because he just can't believe there is any way to improve upon his design. I'm sure many waiting rooms would look nice with his but Kyle's fit the objective better. I almost teared up with Kyle when he was talking about his passion for design. I liked that Miles added details that complimented the metal in the room. Vivian's was OK. Nothing that couldn't be found in many stores. I couldn't believe she was going to put the metal over the cushions before being advised not to. Down to three!

• Love 4

When Miles mentioned the metal plating on the outside of the couch and drew it, I kind of cringed. It looked okay and was maybe low enough, but all I could think of was accidentally falling against and/or hitting that metal while putting a magazine away and hurting myself in some way. Maybe it wasn't as sharp edged as it looked? If it were me, I would've somehow made the metal rounded on the edge. Maybe curled around or something if possible.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I thought Sef's couch was kinda cool. And I liked the built in shelf holder in the back and the built in table. *shrug* I also liked that the pillows even had a place to tuck up and away - which damn I wish my couch had that, because the pillows often end up getting thrown every which way and or falling on the floor.

• Love 3

I think Sef winning is a forgone conclusion. He should have been kicked out last week and wasn't, and should have been kicked out this week, IMO. I don't think Ellen wants her green rooms to look like a dentist's waiting room, but what do I know?

What does Sef have to do to be sent home?! He dismisses the advice of the judges because he just can't believe there is any way to improve upon his design. 

He's been saved more times than he's deserved, I think he's the designated winner & I'm not happy about it.

• Love 7

I don't think Ellen wants her green rooms to look like a dentist's waiting room, but what do I know?

I know what you mean. OTOH, the original green room furniture is really surprisingly sad. And such depressing colors! I know green rooms are off camera, but still, I thought Ellen's green rooms would be contemporary, at least. Those were just one step up from college drama club.

So from that perspective, I guess, Sef's Dentist Office chic is still an improvement.

But yeah. Wrong guy went home this week. And last week.

ETA: and you know, that bench around the back? The couches are supposed to be up against a wall. Who needs to be fishing behind their couch for the items. Why can't youput things on the coffee table? I think Sef just really doesn't think about the people he's designing for or what they want, even he goes on about it endlessly. He's not interested in his client,s just in what he wants his clients to have.

Edited by Merneith
  • Love 8

I've had a feeling from the very first episode (well, the first one where they were assigned their carpenters and actually created something) that Sef had the win locked up. There's no logic to it, and if we had a Grassy Knoll-type thread here that's where I'd take this strange little theory, but as soon as he was assigned Chip, I felt they'd anointed their winner. Chip was Tim's carpenter last year. In a way, I think this season is payback to Chip for being associated with the scandal - although if it is, it's backfiring rather spectacularly. It's starting to make Chip look like he's always stuck with the scandal-ridden contestant.

I was surprised and disappointed that Kyle was sent home when Sef clearly dismissed the brief. I thought the editing monkeys were pointing to a Sef elimination from practically the start of the episode. From the judging, I'd thought that Vivian and Kyle were the top two, so my first sad surprise was when it was Myles instead of Kyle. It's going to be a top two of Myles and Sef, and if it is, I won't be watching.

• Love 1

I for one think the right person went home.  The word that sums up Kyle's furniture to me is "nice."  He didn't step one inch out of his comfort zone, and wasn't innovative in the least.  He just doesn't design stuff that should win a design competition, IMO.

Whatever they say about making the green looks homey, having an arm rest is a lot more comfortable than sitting on a chaise.  I don't know what goes on in a green room, but I assume it's filled with the guest plus their entourage talking about the show.  Sef's would work fine for that, and the chaise less so.  None of the couches had springs due to time constraints, so I wouldn't think any of them would be that comfortable for hours on end.

All of the above JMHO.  Vivian for the win!

• Love 2

Vivian is definitely going to be one of the last two designers left - in one way because she deserves to be, she's had some interesting stuff, but also she is the only woman left and I think that makes a difference on "Ellen's Design Challenge." Her original design with the metal above the cushions was very "wtf?" and I am not sure it was another producer-drama-driven thing - or she has never built a sofa before, which is also likely. I looked through her website and there is one chair which has cushions, everything else is (beautiful) swoopy metal. As someone who does a little hobby welding &plasma cutter work, I stand in awe of her abilities.

I didn't like Sef's sofa for the challenge but it wasn't a bad design for a waiting room, which is what he designed it for. It was kind of neat that the cushions folded up into the back and you could stretch out on it.  I don't think the "fix" is in for Sef, but I do see him as the eventual winner, simply because he is a pretty good furniture designer (go look at his portfolio). There is some great stuff there. I don't care for his personality (as it has been portrayed on the show) and I thought he should have been booted last week for using premade drawers from the studio and for some pretty marginal craftsmanship due to poor time management.

Miles' sofas seemed plain, but I really liked the arm detail and the way it tucked/curved in to the back. I thought the sheet metal panels should have been patterned the way the support frame was as well. Also, he got 2 done.

I liked the look of Kyle's sofa - I am partial to mid-century modern, which he really gets - but didn't like the bright yellow fabric (he clearly has a thing for yellow) and I didn't like the height of the arms, which were too high to use as armrests. It was a nice-looking sofa, though. I really liked his chair from a few weeks ago, but he has had some hit-and-miss stuff.

So far this season there have been a number of poorly-worded design "assignments" maybe that is a theme for the year.

• Love 2

The right person went home. Sef's sofa was fabulous but not right for the green room and he had the potential of making the better piece for the finale.  They never claimed to judge only what is in front of them as they do on Top chef.  

Keith's fit the room but was ugly.  It wasn't mid century, contemporary or modern, it was just bad.   As he said, he has only been competing for 2 yrs (or 4?) and was happy to make it this far.  His couch had a couple of flaws due to the 'too big back' mistake.  It showed most in the overhead shot. 

This is going to be a good finale, I can see any of them winning.  I don't think it is a lock for Sef or that he is a predetermined winner at all.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 2

The judges are supposed to be judging week to week though. They have never said they are judging by the whole body of work. I was surprised that Ellen wasn't the one to look the designs over and announce a winner. I know she doesn't like to send someone home, but it is her waiting room and her show.

I didn't like Sef's piece at all and I think he makes odd pieces to prove what an artist he is rather than what the challenge calls for. I strongly disagree that the challenges shouldn't count in the least, and the criteria should be based on what the person did in the past or might do in the future. Why bother to have weekly challenges then? Sef or whoever would just be crowned the winner on having a portfolio that appealed the most to the judges.

I agree that the directions for the challenges seem incomplete. If the challenge is specific to Ellen's green room, then the designers should know exactly what she wants, not a vague, put something in the room. I liked Kyle and his work and think he and Vivian are both talented. Vivian's pieces mostly belong in hotels or art installations, and Kyle's are made for the home, but they both bring something I like. I like Myles, but many of his pieces look like Ikea type designs. Sef has talent, but is too caught up in being avant-garde rather than looking at the challenges.

• Love 3

The male judge,(I'm blanking on his name) needs to learn that the word height doesn't end with an h. He keeps saying "heighth" and it drives me crazy.

Since we're griping about people on this show who can't speak: I want to bitch slap everyone on last night's show who said "I want to lay on the sofa" with a copy of Strunk & White until they learn the difference between lay and lie.

• Love 10
When Miles mentioned the metal plating on the outside of the couch and drew it, I kind of cringed. It looked okay and was maybe low enough, but all I could think of was accidentally falling against and/or hitting that metal while putting a magazine away and hurting myself in some way. Maybe it wasn't as sharp edged as it looked? If it were me, I would've somehow made the metal rounded on the edge. Maybe curled around or something if possible.

Perhaps Miles realized the danger and that is why he went with the red fabric - hides the blood.  

Maybe the color is off on my TV but I thought the yellow on Kyle's sofa was not a nice color for furniture.  

• Love 3

Maybe the color is off on my TV but I thought the yellow on Kyle's sofa was not a nice color for furniture.

Your color was fine.  That yellow was BRIGHT.  I think that couch would have gone well into a screened in porch with a tropical wallpaper of colorful parrots and flowers but it was all wrong for the other colors in the green room.  I questioned the thick wooden buttons too.  They were nice but I suspect someone leaning back would feel them.

I really didn't get the chaise bit that Vivian was so enamored of.  People in a green room are done in hair and make up and whatever and are waiting to go on camera.  I wouldn't think they'd want to recline and get mussed up.  I could certainly be wrong.  Also, her original idea to put metal on top of the soft parts made me question her judgment.  I do like her though.

• Love 2

A lot of people waiting in green rooms (I have been in a few) are not the talent but who they invite, my case a friend of talent, and they can stay there for a few hours, from the time people arrive, through hair and makeup and then through the entire show I would have liked the chaise more than Sef's design.

The judges did specifically mention that the way the buttons were attached on Kyle's piece didn't impact the comfort, though a lot of credit should go to the upholsterer for that, I have sat in similar pieces and you don't feel it because it's inset.

• Love 2

Since we're griping about people on this show who can't speak: I want to bitch slap everyone on last night's show who said "I want to lay on the sofa" with a copy of Strunk & White until they learn the difference between lay and lie.

Ha ha ha ha ha!  That was bugging me too.  

• Love 1

The judges are supposed to be judging week to week though. They have never said they are judging by the whole body of work. I was surprised that Ellen wasn't the one to look the designs over and announce a winner. I know she doesn't like to send someone home, but it is her waiting room and her show.

I didn't like Sef's piece at all and I think he makes odd pieces to prove what an artist he is rather than what the challenge calls for. I strongly disagree that the challenges shouldn't count in the least, and the criteria should be based on what the person did in the past or might do in the future. Why bother to have weekly challenges then? Sef or whoever would just be crowned the winner on having a portfolio that appealed the most to the judges.

I agree that the directions for the challenges seem incomplete. If the challenge is specific to Ellen's green room, then the designers should know exactly what she wants, not a vague, put something in the room. I liked Kyle and his work and think he and Vivian are both talented. Vivian's pieces mostly belong in hotels or art installations, and Kyle's are made for the home, but they both bring something I like. I like Myles, but many of his pieces look like Ikea type designs. Sef has talent, but is too caught up in being avant-garde rather than looking at the challenges.

I didn't proof read my post.  I saw Sef build a perfectly made and creative sofa but it did not work in the room.  Kyle made an ugly sofa and flawed thought yet worked in the room.  The better piece is going to win on a furniture design show.   My point was lost because I tossed in, what I now see as erroneous without the sentences I deleted, about looking at past and future work.  I did not proof read the final text.  

I really didn't get the chaise bit that Vivian was so enamored of.  People in a green room are done in hair and make up and whatever and are waiting to go on camera.  I wouldn't think they'd want to recline and get mussed up. 

This may sound weird, but if I'm wearing a skirt or pants that tend to wrinkle easily, I will make sure they are the last thing I put on when walking out the door.  Those "whisker" wrinkles aren't attractive.  So if you're the generic new, hot, young starlet du jour, you may want to recline before Ellen calls you out to pimp your new TV show.  That way those pesky wrinkles are less noticeable.  Maybe.

Ok, I have an Ikea couch with a built-in chaise and I totally love it, so I'm trying to help justify that design decision.  *ROFL*

• Love 3

I actually liked Sef's piece, and I agree it didn't 100% meet the challenge. Can't stand him though. I think he keeps his hair mussed because it hides his rapidly receding hairline.

Kyle's was just ugly. Boxy and that hideous yellow. What is with him and yellow? All his furniture look like "mistakes" that got relegated to the basement where no one cares if you spill cheese dip and beer on them. And he's such a downer. All the mean-spirited sniping in the waiting room. He needs to get some ideas before he'll be much beyond gas station parking lot sales furniture designer.

Liked Vivian's and love her. Her original idea with the metal on top of the cushions was wisely discarded.

Myles' was kind of odd. The intricacy of the inside of the arms with the razor sharp look of the exterior was off-putting to me. All I could think of his magazine slots was all the crumbs falling down there and being nigh impossible to clean. And such a downer color. Why didn't he go for a more red red? It didn't have to be clownishly bright -- just a more cheery (cherry?) color than that dull dried-blood orangy red he used.

• Love 3

I'm a dedicated fan of the (annoying) Survivor contestant who said, "Puzzles lie down for me like lovers."  It's been so long since I've heard anyone use "lie" instead of "lay," I was verklempt.

For me, all the couches were ugly and the show was boring.  Ellen's own freakin' Green Room didn't warrant the time necessary for an innerspring option??

Putting the bars on the outside made me think of being in an airport, when you're exhausted and the zillions of empty chairs all have bars to make damn sure you don't lie down.

• Love 2

Last season they all had to design a couch for their own break room.  Now they're designing couches for Ellen's green rooms...  

I didn't particularly like any of the couches, but Sef's really did make the room look like a doctor's waiting room.

• Love 1

If Ellen is such a fan of good furniture, how did she end up with the tacky green rooms she's using now?  It's only season two, so it's not like she's stuck with things they bought years ago.  I can't figure it out.  Seriously, I've waited in Jiffy Lube service in nicer rooms.

• Love 3

Very disappointed with the judges not selecting Miles. Especially since in an earlier competition Sef used drawers that he did not  build, yet they let Miles go because of a slight imperfection. I will not be watching the finale. I can already guess the winner. Also during the other various competition Vivian had help from some of the other contestants to help her complete her piece where the others did not. Oh well..very disappointing

• Love 6
(edited)

They were supposed to make a piece of furniture that turned into a different piece of furniture. Sef made a desk that turned into a desk. How is that different? This show is such bullshit, it doesn't matter what Sef does, he's going to win. I guess the "Hopefully Scandal Free" part of the thread title is going to have to be changed to "Now With New Scandal"

Edited by GaT
  • Love 9

I had to laugh at the blonde judge who looked at the big cube with the slanting pull-out surface and the wobbly stools and immediately dubbed it "genius."

Scandal notwithstanding, this season was a steep plummet from the first go-around.

(edited)

The right person went home.  Miles piece was clunky, the pull out counter spaces sloped down and not innovative at all.  I knew the minute the judges handled it he was gone.  

Even if Sef had done the lighting well, it could not win.  Who wants to share their desk with a child's play table? How would that work?  Well, it wouldn't.

Vivian was the only one who followed the directive.  Chair turns into a table as opposed to a kitchen island that is a kitchen island or a desk that is a desk.  

Go Vivian!!!!

I don't think it is a foregone conclusion that Sef will win, not at all.   Vivian has been shining above all of them in most challenges.  I can see her winning this easily.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 4

I was so disgusted with how the first season's ending was handled that I haven't been watching this one.  I've only seen one, early, episode.  By the end of the episode, I pegged Sef as the ultimate winner.  Not because I loved his furniture, but something in the way the judges treated him or his talking heads or the camera work.  I can't put my finger on it, but it came across very strongly to me that he was going to win the whole thing, even though I don't think he won that particular challenge.  From the comments I've been reading about the last few episodes, it looks like my impressions were accurate.

• Love 1

I think this is Vivian's to lose.  I can definitely see her winning.  She was consistently good all along while Sef was up and down.  That being said his was constructed way better than Miles's.  I think his was way too clunky and not very stable.

• Love 2
(edited)

I think Sef and Vivian are the strongest competitors, so I am very glad they are both in the finale.  I don't see any fix for Sef--I think he earned his place by being innovative and taking chances, plus his designs are beautiful.  A finale with Kyle and Miles would be boring, IMO.

The adult-desk-into-a-child's-desk could be seen as not so much a shared piece, but one that evolves.  Adult uses it until kid comes along, then converts to kid's.   Empty nesters can reclaim the piece later.  So I think it met the challenge okay.

Loved Vivian's chair, although I think I'd need a cushion instead of sitting on slats.  Miles' cart looked flimsy and not very attractive.  Plus the pullout sections, beside sloping, didn't look big enough to eat off of very comfortably.

Edited by backgroundnoise
  • Love 3

Miles had a much better body of work.  Sef and Vivian are only there because of the last piece.  Miles room divider was genius.  I want one!  I hope he gets a lot of work now that he is home.  Don't care for either Sef or Vivian's work.

(edited)

The right person went home.  Miles piece was clunky, the pull out counter spaces sloped down and not innovative at all.  I knew the minute the judges handled it he was gone.  

Even if Sef had done the lighting well, it could not win.  Who wants to share their desk with a child's play table? How would that work?  Well, it wouldn't.

Vivian was the only one who followed the directive.  Chair turns into a table as opposed to a kitchen island that is a kitchen island or a desk that is a desk.  

Go Vivian!!!!

I don't think it is a foregone conclusion that Sef will win, not at all.   Vivian has been shining above all of them in most challenges.  I can see her winning this easily.  

Co-sign.

Myles's piece was not only not innovative or a true transformation piece, it was a bad design. He's done a few pieces I've liked, but he was up-and-down for me. I'm not disappointed that he didn't make the finale. And I knew he was going home from very early on. Not because of any woo-woo conspiracy theory, but because of how he behaved in his talking heads. Those are all taped after the competitive portion of the show is over, and the results are known. His affect was even more flatline and robotic than usual. I think he was making an effort, but couldn't hide that he was the one cut.

I really liked Vivian's. Again. The second design was so much more elegant than the first one. It just looked good. And Joe wanting her to do two? Well, if your first chair broke the machine that fabricated it, how was she supposed to get a second one? 

Sef's was just o.k., but more design-y than Myles's. It looked a lot like the two tables he created earlier in the competition.

I'm satisfied. I'll be more than that if Vivian wins. :-)

P.S. How cool is it that Vivan had a fellowship at the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum???

Edited by carrps
  • Love 5

While I don't disagree that Miles deserved to go home for his piece this week, I'm still irritated that Sef is still in the competition after the drawer cheating. I'm sorry, this competition is also about the fabrication and not just the design... so that was a cheat... and on an ugly piece of furniture ....

But anyway. Vivian was the clear winner this week, her chair was different and very clearly served two different purposes. I think it would perfect for like a patio or deck party. I would have liked to see her make two, but she didn't really have a choice when the machine broke.

Miles's cart was boring and done before... and the construction sounded like it was subpar. I don't think it was any sort of unique multifunctional piece. Lots of carts/tables have pull outs to make the surface bigger... I don't think it moved, but didn't someone make a desk with a similar sort of attached stool last season? It just looked like stuff I'd seen before.

Sef's desk did look more unique, but I didn't think it looked like something I'd want in my house. It also wasn't intuitive in it's design. Vivian's chair, once you knew it converted was easy for the judges to figure out. The desk seemed like it would be more confusing to shift around, plus dumping everything off of the desk to change it's function. I just wasn't wowed by it in any way. It was more interesting than the cart, but I don't think that's saying a whole lot.

Kyle should have been here this week instead.

All I can say is I hope Vivian pulls out the win, because she is the one who deserves it... or we're going to get Sef the winner followed by Season two's cheating correction/oops.

• Love 4

So let me make sure I understand this correctly: Sef's piece is a desk. It converts into a lower-height surface so it can be used as a child's desk. So... where's the chair one would use at this desk? Is it sized for an adult, or for a child? Because the two heights of table couldn't work with the same chair. So it's one desk that you'd need two chairs to use? How, exactly, is that helpful or functional for anyone? I just don't get the concept. That mechanism looked like it could snap a child's fingers off, but ok, I guess that doesn't count for some reason. 

Miles's piece was so badly constructed, but at least the concept was really a clever solution to apartment dinner seating.

I wish Vivian would win because her designs are both beautiful and beautifully constructed, but I think the fix is in for Sef.

• Love 5

It was an interesting challenge, which I'm sure any of them could have handled nicely with some reasonable time to think about it.  As it was, Vivian's chair/table was the winner by a mile.

I'm glad they didn't dock her for only making ONE, because that was a silly note in the first place.  Oh, you're doing a dining room chair?  We'll need to see eight of them.

Team Vivian.

• Love 2

Vivian's chair was gorgeous but not particularly comfortable-looking. But it was art as well as multi-function furniture and fit the challenge well. The teak and the aluminum (which still looked a tad rough in close-up) were beautiful together. There is no way she could have finished 2, even if the CNC mill hadn't broken a bit - they barely got the one assembled.

Sef's design was very reminiscent of his table a few episodes back, as far as the concave/convex shape - it was a bench, an adult's table and a child's easel/table. It met the challenge, it did have an art to it as well as function. None of the judges were impressed with his assertion that it was also an adult's drafting board. I have no idea why they tried to tape the power strip in there, unless it was because they felt it was too dark to see the interior detail otherwise. 

Miles' design had too many structural problems, and as the judge said, was just not "beautiful." It looked like something I'd go up on Amazon (or, lol, Wayfair) and find. I used to have one of those folding consoles/tables with the two stacking stools inside.

http://smile.amazon.com/Winsome-Space-Saver-Stools-Square/dp/B00597KAT0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1456877271&sr=8-1&keywords=folding+table+with+chairs+stored+inside

Somehow this was the "equipment failure" episode.

The thing with the spray booth was completely faux, there is no way you'd just have a random cable running across the entire workshop floor to an outside spray booth. Probably they were having a problem with the fan/compressor that kept the spray booth inflated and decided to make an on-screen "thing" about it.

I suspect that there are state OSHA guys hanging around off-screen, just like there are "shop assistants" to help with the heavy lifting and to hold an end to the sheet goods when they are running them through the table saw. I am absolutely fine with having various assistants sprinkled around helping. Like the guy who programs and runs the CNC machine, getting those patterns in there is NOT a simple job, it probably takes someone staying up all night to get the pattern done and some email back and forth between the designer and the programmer. Assuming, of course, that each "day" they work is actually sequential.

Next year I'd like to see them given at least another day. I get that part of the challenge is seeing how they work when they are rushed, but as it is I don't believe the drama - ooo, look, everyone JUST gets done as the clock ticks off the final second! - anyway, so give them a day to do final finishes and then ding them harder for things that have rough edges and bad finishes.

• Love 2

So let me make sure I understand this correctly: Sef's piece is a desk. It converts into a lower-height surface so it can be used as a child's desk. So... where's the chair one would use at this desk? Is it sized for an adult, or for a child? Because the two heights of table couldn't work with the same chair. So it's one desk that you'd need two chairs to use? How, exactly, is that helpful or functional for anyone? I just don't get the concept. That mechanism looked like it could snap a child's fingers off, but ok, I guess that doesn't count for some reason. 

He mentioned that the thingies on the bottom of the legs could be adjusted by 3 inches, so I guess you have to adjust the height depending on who is using it. It doesn't seem usable or practical to me.

• Love 1

I'm finding this season really boring for some reason. i guess just looking at pieces of furniture by themselves (not seeing how they fit in a particular space), is just not that appealing. I didn't feel that way last year so i can't explain it. I have owned convertible pieces over the years and after awhile they always become difficult to 'convert' because the hinges/screws get rusty or wood pieces warp.

I thought Sef's desk looked way to low for an adult to use and just generally impractical. Vivian's piece looked uncomfortable to me and i can't see why you wouldn't want to just add a small table rather than converting a chair into one. I didn't mind the idea behind Miles' desk but it had a few technical issues. 

• Love 1