Type keyword(s) to search

Ellen's Design Challenge - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Jan. 18th debut.

That's weird.  It's on my Xfinity listing for 10-11C tonight - New, S2Ep01, "Meet the Cast."  Maybe it's a teaser and they plan to re-run it on the 18th.

Huh, that might explain why I'm having so much trouble setting up a series recording, no matter what I do, it keeps treating it like a standalone episode. Jan 18th is too far out for my cable guide to have, so I guess that they're just putting this one episode out to get interest.

• Love 1

It's back. I barely noticed. That said it recorded and I watched.  

Woo-hoo?  Okay, maybe woo without hoo.

Wow, they audited history and acted like Katie simply... won. Actually I can't say we should have expected anything else... but why show the last winner at ALL if it was going to be THAT awkward? Just talk generically about last season, don't show anything and move on, show. Except... they didn't.

• Love 5

I was wondering how they would address it if the show returned. I guess they went with "just pretend it didn't happen." I wonder if the instructions for each challenge will be clear that 'inspiration' and 'copying' are two different things?

Hopefully no one will have vocal fry as bad as Katie. By the end of the series I couldn't bear to listen to her speak anymore, or to watch her coy, lowered-lash glances.

I saw that meet-the-new-people episode that they ran around New Year's Day, but none of the designers' personalities made an impression on me so far. The two that were jettisoned at the end seemed to deserve it because they took the safe route in their design.

I like Ellen, but if she only showed up for the finale I'd be happy. I think her scenes on the show are extremely awkward, and the fawning the designers do over her presence is just too overdone.

Edited by DownTheShore
  • Love 5

I like Ellen, but if she only showed up for the finale I'd be happy. I think her scenes on the show are extremely awkward, and the fawning the designers do over her presence is just too overdone.

Agreed.  I don't get why she has to be so "on" all the time, rather than walk on and interact just like any other person.

• Love 8

Agreed.  I don't get why she has to be so "on" all the time, rather than walk on and interact just like any other person.

This is the main reason why Ellen (at least since she started her talk show--although she's also always done it on awards shows too) comes off as kind of fake and insincere to me. She pretty much defines the phrase "mugging for the audience". 

She can actually be likable when she eases that back a bit, but she seems uncomfortable doing so.  She's got that same quality that annoys me so much about Jimmy Fallon--albeit I think in a slightly less annoying package.  Neither of them knows how to just exist in a moment--while on public display I mean. Contrast it to someone like David Letterman. Who knew when to let comedy breathe. Sometimes you just sit back and let things happen, then arch an eyebrow at it. That's a lesson the Ellens and Jimmys of the world never learned. You don't have to be constantly "on"--you just have to be perched to swoop in and make people notice how funny a situation already is.

• Love 5

I'm pleasantly surprised that it's back after last year's incident. Does anyone know how he faired in his business? Sorry, I can remember his name and last year's forum isn't listed anymore.

Here's Tim's info.  It appears his staff challenged him to a new competition upon his return, filmed for youtube.  And, he appeared on FabLife (whatever that is, lol) last Sept.  (Funny, looks like FabLife competes with Ellen's daytime show in some markets.)          http://westernheritagefurniture.com/

Yes, Ellen's always had that geeky, uncomfortable, physical presence on camera.  Didn't she make her first cameo during the last scene / block of S1's first show?  Given her appearance during the special edition episode around New Year's, perhaps we'll see more of her in S2.  Don't know whether that's either necessary or a positive change for S2.

Edited by aguabella
  • Love 1

I've decided I'm going to pretend last season never happened.  No uncomfortable Ellen appearances, no vocal-fry afflicted frontrunners and no design thievery.  I'm just going to be looking for inspirations for jazzing up my own home & office and enjoying the creativity, so......

Wow!  Hey!  It's a brand new design show I've never seen before!  I can't wait!  *LOL*

I'm pleasantly surprised that it's back after last year's incident. Does anyone know how he faired in his business? Sorry, I can remember his name and last year's forum isn't listed anymore.

The conversation for last season is actually the All Seasons Talk thread.  We weren't really posting enough for each episode to have it own thread, so we treated it like a running conversation from week to week. 

• Love 2

Well, I watched the first episode, and it seems to me that any of the contestants has ten times the talent of any contestant from last season. Not a Tim fan, so I'm also going to pretend last season never happened either.

• Love 1

I am a Tim fan - and I'm pretending right along with you. Probably just as well. Boy, we must have hit some bad shrooms or something, lol.

I watched because my Mom wanted to, and I was pleasantly surprised. The cast seems genuinely talented. I liked the one who hammered aluminum, although I worry about her time management. I thought the rocking boat chair was legit brilliant. I'm intrigued now.

• Love 3

As with last year, my favorites are whoever is working with my favorite carpenters - Jeff and the two Matts.  (I especially miss ever seeing Jeff or Matt B on DIY network any more.) I guess that means my favorites are Alexis, Vivian and Bradley.  I really liked Vivian's bed and thought it would be the winner. But are these pieces supposed to be actual, usable furniture?  I'm shopping for a new bed now and I couldn't imagine trying to get any of them up a flight of stairs!

The winning bed from Bradley had a trip factor so I am surprised it won.  It looked very cool but I would definitely stub my toes frequently.  

My favorite was Vivian's (husky woman with red hair).  

It was clear the McKenzie would leave.  It looked like a prop in a horror movie.

I also loved Kyle's bed with the sand dune effect on the sides and Mile's with metal details on the head and food board.

The contestants are here.

http://www.hgtv.com/shows/ellens-design-challenge/ellen-s-design-challenge--meet-the-season-two-contestants 

My favorite was the bed that had metal rods mixed with wood (and the floating headboard).  I thought the winning design looked cool (how could it support bedtime "activites" in the center of the bed?), but I thought that it wasn't very practical.  The way the sides sloped outward plus the base sticking out another 10-12 inches would make it difficult to get out of - unless you step on that projecting base, which would be uncomfortable.  And getting in when it was dark and you couldn't see is a toe stubbing hazard as one of the judges mentioned.

Well, I watched the first episode, and it seems to me that any of the contestants has ten times the talent of any contestant from last season. 

I have a theory that second and third seasons of these type of shows probably have the best talent. The first season, most possible contestants probably haven't heard of the competition - they may recruit a lot of the actual contestants, but some may be leary to take the time to compete without an idea of how the show works. Then once people have seen it, more will apply and they have a larger pool to pick from, but after the 3rd season, the most talented have already appeared, and the the talent level goes down.

• Love 2

I liked all three top beds, but I WANT Vivian's.  In my house. Now.  Beautiful.

I didn't care for the guest judge at all.  He didn't offer anything other than his personal likes and dislikes.  When the permanent male judge evaluated something not to his personal taste,  he still critiqued the design effort that went into it.

I like the variety of styles.  I hope this show doesn't degenerate into creating the most mass-producible versus way-out, awesome designs (Project Runway, looking at you).

• Love 3

I agree, I want Vivian's bed yesterday!   It is easy to predict that Melissa (airplane) will not make it far in this competition.   

My favorite was the bed that had metal rods mixed with wood (and the floating headboard).  I thought the winning design looked cool (how could it support bedtime "activites" in the center of the bed?)

Bradley's commentary in the green room was very funny.   Clinic over! in response to Vivian's good presentation.   His bed was beautiful and I am not mad that he won but putting a mattress on those very thick supports/slats is akin to putting in on the floor.  My beds are all modern and low but have slats that give under the mattress section.   They would more than support activities!  They would support a backhoe!  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 2

The designer who went home really, really needs to lay off the crystal meth.  I'm not kidding, she was tweaked out.

I'm glad this show is back. I enjoy any show that shows the creative process involved in meeting a challenge. These people are producing absolutely beautiful furniture, and I can't wait to see what they design next.

• Love 2

Does anybody know where I can watch this online?  I had DVR problems and it didn't record. 

And HGTV doesn't even list the show On Demand thru my cable company or on the %#$*& HGTV website.  What kind of crap is that?  Does Ellen know? She should!

The designer who went home really, really needs to lay off the crystal meth.  I'm not kidding, she was tweaked out.

I noticed that too; when she was listening to the judges critiques, her facial expressions were all over the place.  I thought it was nerves or a tic, but I like your opinion.  

• Love 1

I was wondering about the designer-who-went home, too. I didn't know if she was just very unsophisticated compared to the others because she's so new to the field, or what. I've known people with facial tics, so I didn't immediately think drugs. I think her enthusiasm would get wearying after a while, but I did like her bed; she should have stained the wood lighter though if she was going to try to pass it off as a lotus blossom, though. It would look good in those two-story tall master bedrooms in the McMansions.

I liked Vivian's bed the best, too. Bradley's bed was interesting to look at, but count me as another person who would be tripping on that edge. The bed with the black curved top and the gold leaf reminded me too much of 1970's "modern" black laminated bedroom sets. The one with the nicks on the side rails didn't impress me; I thought they needed to be softened more, either by sanding or by coloration. The airplane bed was interesting but too high; I've already spent a night sleeping on a bed that was high like that - you don't remember that little fact when you get up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, until it is too late. The earthquake bed was nice, but too understated to be a signature piece. I also liked Sef's bed because he included the seating area at the foot, and liked the drama of the headboard. It's not a practical bed, though, since sitting propped against that headboard would be uncomfortable, and seems to be only designed with a standard thickness mattress in mind, and most mattresses now are thicker than that, which would hide more of the wood. A Roomba could travel under it without a problem, so that's a plus.

Edited by DownTheShore

I felt like 2 of the beds--I don't know the contestant names yet--just looked like plain ole' beds.  I think they should have been on the bottom simply for not really trying to do anything.  I get why the bottom 2 were in the bottom 2, but at the same time, at least they tried.  And there is probably someone out there that would really like them.  I agree about that awful black with the gold leaf bed looking like a thing of the past.  It reminded me of the 80s waterbeds.  Awful, and should have been near the bottom.  Sad really that it wasn't.

• Love 2

From the "pre-show" show:

Uh oh.  I anticipate having a problem with Judge Fong.  The upholstered chair from Dave had a graceful shape and an unusual factor with the fabric selvage flow lines.  Judge Fong complimented the proportions, called it comfortable and accessible and then damned it with:  "Outside the upholstery detail, I think it still looks a bit safe."

Oh, shit.  Let's set the standard right from the beginning that we're looking for tiny negative space sailboat chairs and it doesn't matter if they're so impractical that even a toddler's weight will tip them unless there are two kids sitting back-to-back.

I'm happy to look at chairs that go crawling up the wall and chairs sprouting a thousand pounds of rope to hang as an installation, but I'm thinking there will be mighty few pieces I'm going to want for my house.  Creating "just" a classic, beautiful, interesting piece is going to get you shipped home.  Sigh.

I liked the woman who used rope, for the same reason I liked the blacksmith woman last year.   They both have established sort of a signature element that's different from the bent pipe cleaner style (which is over-represented.)  MMV

I'm so glad this is being talked about. I watched the show and couldn't believe the atrocity of character in these judges. Wow, talk about just wanting to hear yourself talk.

What their saying is complete personal opinion and they are so harsh about certain pieces.

"This is a failure"

YOU'RE A FAILURE AS A JUDGE

"This bed is trying really hard"

YOU'RE TRYING REALLY HARD AND ITS MAKING ME HATE THIS SHOW

Sorry Ellen, I love you.

• Love 1

The two beds I thought the safest were the earthquake-proof one and the sand/lake one.

Yes, and while they were all well made, I just loved Bradley's.  Since I won't be buying it, I don't have to worry about tripping.  It just looks so cool.

So far, I don't dislike any of the contestants, unlike last year.

I didn't care for guest judge either.

I liked Bradley's bed best although I agreed with the judges about the toe-stubbing hazard.  I'm tall so I wouldn't use the step and I can easily envision myself tripping on that feature, especially during the night.  In any event, I like Bradley so I was glad he won.

I find Ellen's disingenuous "I'm such a bumbler and just so cute" shtick highly annoying so I hope she follows the pattern she set last season and shows up only rarely.

• Love 1

The winning bed has a huge problem - put a mattress and 2 people on it and the center will sag BIG TIME. To fix it, each one of the boards would have to be laminated wood instead of thin single boards and they'd have to have a prebend.

I liked the floating wedge bed (except for the way the iron wrapped around the mattress on the low side, so the bed would be a pain to make) and the earthquake bed the best.

Didn't care for the guest expert in the slightest, I agree with others that I want to see designs that are striking, maybe a little unusual, but above all something that would go into someone's home, not something that would be suitable only for an exhibit.

My least favorites were the fire/lotus bed and the horrible pokey steel headboard. 

Finally got to watch and my only comment was the guest judge was such a Debbie Downer.  I didn't like Melissa in the introductions yet I liked her bed the most.  Go figure.

I thought for sure the good looking skinny guy was going with his bed that looked like a mountain.

Vivian's bed was my favorite. I love Bradley and his bed *looked* cool, but all I could think was (1) visible dust bunnies, cleaning under it will be a pain and (2) my cat will hide under that bed when I get his carrier out to go to the vet and I will never, ever get him out.

Based on their portfolios, I think Vivian, Alexis, and Bradley will be my favorites.

I did also like the earthquake-proof bed a lot.

Guest judge was a bitch, I don't need to ever see him again.

• Love 2

I like that the group helps each other when needed. If I remember correctly, that happened last week too. The only other competitive show I've seen that on is Face Off. I'm sorry that Bradley was eliminated. He didn't meet the criteria for working with the space but if he had the time to complete all pieces, it would have been nice. Melissa's, I think that's her name, was cute to look at but good luck curling your body in a circle. My bank hurt just watching the judge trying to lie down in it. I think she should have gone. We'll actually, I don't think she should have been selected for the show. Her designs are very juvenile.

• Love 4

I'm glad they included pictures of how the pieces looked in the actual setting.  It made a big difference for Kyle's (in a good way) and Bradley's (in a bad way). 

I couldn't really envision what Bradley's would have looked like with 5 of the pieces.  It still seemed too small and not really going with the fire pit itself.  The design was nice, though.  Too bad the burning took so much time.  He should have rethought that. 

I thought everyone did a pretty good job.   My least favorite was the concrete chaise.  It needed brighter pillow or something.

• Love 3

That concrete chaise was too low and raw concrete is not something you want to be laying on in a skimpy bathing suit. Water from baithg suits would pool in the butt area because the grooves in the concrete were simply decorative.

Bradley's idea of burning that wood should have ended as soon as it took him more than an hour and the burn wasn't complete. I've always wondered about that technique - doesn't the wood continue to give off a burned smell? His seat looked nice on the stage, but it didn't look appropriate in the firepit setting.

I think that I would have given the win to Miles with the bar stools rather than Sef.

I thought the swing was cute, but that it was sized for a child, not an adult.

That shingled lounge looked like a shingled lounge, but it did work well in that alcove and would probably be a relaxing spot.

I liked the wire bench, just wondered how comfortable it was?

I liked the third judge this week.

• Love 3

While I agree that what Bradley did was the "worst" in response to this challenge, I am bummed to lose him. I liked his design aesthetic. But that was bound to happen since overall, the group is full of strong designers.

I would've chosen the bar stools for the win too. But I wasn't as impressed with the table as the judges were so that's not a surprise.

• Love 2

This show is SO rigged! They voted off the guy who has ALREADY been featured all over the world in design magazines? The guy I had pegged to win? WTF? They kept the weird girl who did the hanging tire swing? THAT was so innovative?? It looked VERY uncomfortable when one of the judges sat in it. I didn't think he was even sitting in it correctly! UGH! Some no talent hack will win, just like last season when the talentless girl won by default. She had created some awful stuff and never got voted off.

I'm done here. This show jumped the shark for me early!

Edited by ChattyCathyLA
  • Love 1

It drove me crazy that they telegraphed Sef's win. As soon as they showed his table being judged a pop up told us how we can buy it at Wayfair. I really liked Bradley and I'm sorry to see him go , especially thought his losing piece was gorgeous. Both the concrete chaise and the bright tire swing looked extremely uncomfortable.

Edited by SheepishAlligator
  • Love 3

I don't know what Bradley was thinking by making only 1 bench.  There was no way they were going to keep him after that.  Plus he had a lot to say about the other contestants during judging.  Not good.

I hated the cement lounge and tire swing but then I'm not sure what you could make to hang from the tree.

I loved the round bed best.

• Love 1

I just don't understand the judging criteria on this show. Both the tire swing and the concrete lounge were whimsical but completely impractical.  I'm confused as to how either of these is innovative.  Tire swings have been around as long as tires have, although the interior isn't usually padded -- big whoop, it still doesn't accommodate an adult.  And as others here have pointed out, those concrete lounges aren't new -- I remember trying to get out of one without scraping my sunburn in Mexico sometime in the 80s.  Most resort hotels have those structures in the pool.  

Sorry to see Bradley go home, especially since it means the tire swing designer stays.  Time management really is the critical factor on these competition shows, isn't it?

• Love 3