Type keyword(s) to search

Ellen's Design Challenge - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Well at least they didn't go for the old reality rule of keeping the bitchy one.  Bye bye Groucho.

Well..week 2 and no Ellen except to show them a piece of ugly furniture that they could not copy remotely.  There was no explicable reason to show it to them but oh well.. it's Ellen's show (I think).

I want to like Katie since she's from Brooklyn, but that voice...arghhhhh...I couldn't take it.  I loved Gaspars cabinet.  I'd take it in a minute.

I also think her chosen judge was unfairly mean to every contestant.  He came of as jealous to me but whatever.

I'm a reality show fan so I'm in it for the long haul..or short now that there's only 4 weeks left.

Edited by NYGirl
  • Love 3

The other contestants did notice that her carpenter did not stick up for her.  Did you notice Katie's carpenter opening the cabinet and showing the extra spaces?  Leslie's just stood there mute.  It was like he wanted her to get eliminated. 

I knew I recognized Chip for another show!! 

• Love 1

I like Tim, but while he was building it I thought that the glasses storage was in a bad place.
I'd think something taller would work better, not where people might knock their knees on the glasses.
I loved Gaspard's cabinet, and hoped he would win.
Katie's was OK, I just didn't like it as well as Gaspard's.
Won't miss Leslie.

• Love 2

Katie's designs are amazing, a hidden compartment for undies! But she is the ultimate nutty artiste. What was that godawful, um, thing she was wearing at the judging? And I would prefer if she never spoke. Egads, her vocal fry will kill her cords by 40.

Gaspar's piece was also beautiful, it would go for thousands at some urban boutique.

While I'm glad Leslie is gone, I thought it was somewhat unfair for the judge to walk up to it and swoop the change pad off the top. No one sat by the bar and clanked the martini glasses together with their knees, even though that was also likely to happen. And they didn't give Leslie a chance to show the interior storage, for all we know there could have been amazing little storage tricks in there. (Although I doubt it, her pinched face did not indicate whimsy).

Did the bar have storage beyond the glasses rack and the slots for four bottles? The bar supplies included an assortment of shakers and other accessories, but nothing was shown.

The other woman (can't remember her name) had a cute idea, but I wouldn't want those giant bird houses in my house. Maybe one, in a kids playroom, but not three. And she said Appalachian like Appa-la-chan, I thought it was Appa-lay-shun. Weird.

• Love 2

During the first episode, Leslie told her carpenter that it was her job to come up with the idea and his to do the work.  During the second episode, she sat and sorted baby clothes while he did all the work.  I don't blame him a bit for not helping her present.

• Love 4

I have to say - I like the Framework design show better, even if half of that show is designers snitting at each other. I think Framework's judges come off as more knowledgeable. I also like that the judges on that show all get very hands on with the furniture, sitting on everything and using the furniture as it's intended. And Common, for all his wooden delivery, at least shows up every day and has some interesting questions to ask. He's the voice of the viewer who isn't all that familiar with the furntiture design and construction process.

I've hated both of the guest judges on Ellen's show. They don't have anything really constructive to say. I think the challenges have been easier on Ellen's than on Framework and honestly, the designs haven't interested me nearly as much. Katie's cabinet last week was a snooze (although I liked this week's armoire). The wall pieces were snoozie too. I don't know. It just seems like Ellen's show is missing something (and I don't mean Ellen. I like Ellen but more Ellen wouldn't make the challenges more interesting or the judges more useful, imo.)

• Love 5

While I'm glad Leslie is gone, I thought it was somewhat unfair for the judge to walk up to it and swoop the change pad off the top. No one sat by the bar and clanked the martini glasses together with their knees, even though that was also likely to happen. And they didn't give Leslie a chance to show the interior storage, for all we know there could have been amazing little storage tricks in there. (Although I doubt it, her pinched face did not indicate whimsy).

They very well might have.  Editing leaves a lot out. .  

I am not sure why Leslie was so impressed with her own piece.  It really looked like a basic long dresser with a dangerous changing pad situation on top.  I like that they complimented the carpenter about the craftsmanship because I think they knew the trouble he has had to endure, and it wasn't his design/his fault that it wasn't a winning piece.  

I didn't love the armoire, but I liked that it wasn't boring, and that she did something with it.  I can see why they gave her the win, due to the effort and creativity behind it.  I did love Gaspar's piece.  That was nice.  

Ellen looks ridiculous to continue these tv feeds on her show, IMO.  Last nights segment was cheesy and very out of place with the task at hand.

• Love 3

I liked the show. I don't usually watch these kind of things but I am an HDTV fan and had it on.

I'm sure this was a typo, but it is appropriate since HGTV has been Home Decorating TV for quite awhile. 

I'm enjoying the show but also find Ellen's minimal involvement strange. I wonder if at this early point in filming the contestants were wondering "Um, where's Ellen? Are we ever going to meet her in person?" IMO, though she never leaves her chair, she's more invoved in the Cousin's segments on her talk show.

I'm Team Tim. I like his story (from his website), the work, he seems cool and is very handsome.        

Edited by suedehead
  • Love 1

To be fair, I thought Leslie's bureau was nice, but I think she was too invested in it's future use than in it's current use, for a baby. 

As soon as the judge swept the changing pad off, I knew exactly what Leslie should have done.  She should have cut out some safety rails with pegs that fit into holes drilled in the top.  The changing pad would be put down into that space, with the rails extending up to keep the baby from rolling off.  When it was no longer needed as a changing space, the rails are pulled off and flat pegs are inserted into the holes so it could be used as a standard bureau.  SO simple.  

• Love 1

I liked Gaspard's but I am glad he didn't win - it was too similar to the "Ellen's Favorite" piece they showed them.  He made it more usable, and the doors were cool, but it wasn't really innovative.  I have pull out drawers on some of my kitchen cabinets.  

The red armoire was innovative, IMO, and she deserved the win. I wouldn't put it in my house - red is one of my least favorite colors and, until you look up close, the front was boring.  Seeing as it was a wardrobe cabinet, it would have been more useful if she put a mirror (or two) on the door(s).  I loved the side storage, but mirrors at angles wouldn't let you see yourself from head to toe (in one piece).

I don't understand why the carpenter was the one showing off the armoire to the judges.  It was her design, she is the contestant on this show, why didn't she walk over and open doors and pull socks out of storage? 

• Love 1

The other woman (can't remember her name) had a cute idea, but I wouldn't want those giant bird houses in my house. Maybe one, in a kids playroom, but not three. And she said Appalachian like Appa-la-chan, I thought it was Appa-lay-shun. Weird.

Her pronunciation is actually the correct one. Appa-lay-shun is the secondary variation. Not really correct, but so commonly used that it has become o.k.

Don't like Tim's big clunky furniture or his cutesy cowboy schtick. And he's from oh so artsy Jerome? Not a surprise. I was also wondering where all his bar stuff was since all we saw were a few glasses and bottles -- all of them in awkward places. It looked well made, but not practical. Why was so much of it the cutting board? About the only thing I can think to use it for is cutting lemons/limes, and I usually do that in the kitchen and bring the cut pieces out to the bar area in a bowl. And if there's a cutting board where's the knife storage? Was that big cube behind/next to the cutting board cube a big black hole with all the other stuff in it? If there were any creative storage features inside I'm sure we would have seen them.

I like blacksmith woman but didn't like her "whimsical" bird houses. Not a fan of country at all. Blown up to that gigantic size they were kinda creepy. I really felt for her when she lost the bar container.

Vocal fry toddler really has talent. That was a good piece! I was impressed that she made a pattern with the red acrylic. You need something like that if you're going to use such a large expanse of red. I actually liked it more than most real Memphis pieces I've seen.

And I wish HGTV was HDTV. It's devolved into about 95% real estate shows. Boooooooooring.

• Love 1

I'm sure this was a typo, but it is appropriate since HGTV has been Home Decorating TV for quite awhile.

It was. I had the channel on -- I think I was watching House Hunters or some other show and the Ellen design came on so I watched it.

Normally I would have changed the channel but the concept sounded intriguing. And I liked it. I will watch the next ep when it's on.

I am Team Katie! I admire real talent and can recognize it when I see it. The sound of her voice or what she chooses to wear is a moot point. It means less than nothing. Such things are subjective, I suppose, in that I didn't hear anything weird or off-putting about her voice (I was too busy being wowed! by her talent) and I kind of liked that outfit she was wearing. It looked artsy. It fit her personality.

• Love 2

Pine, is anything recording for you?
In the past week, my DVR has failed to record several times, and I had to reboot/reset my DVR.

I had to reset the main one.
Try recording now, and if it doesn't work, call you provider and let them talk you through the fix.

Yes other things are recording fine.  When I saw that it did not record the other night, I set it to record it at midnight, and nothing the next morning.

I am surprised that HGTV doesn't have in On Demand to catch up on the episodes.  Thank you so much for your help, AuntJess, I will have Mr Pine look into this.

I was flipping channels the other day and a repeat of the second episode was on - Leslie is telling her carpenter about which container she got.  She slaps the changing pad on top of a table and says that they need to plan the whole thing around it.  It gave me a chuckle.   

AuntJess!! Just by reading your TiVo post I got all shaky!!  I can't imagine that happening to me, although it failed to catch the Nashville "winter finale" and when the new episode  came on the other night I was like "whaaa???" and had to watch the other one on demand first.

It looks like Ellen may be making a visit in person in tomorrow's episode.  Let's see.

I watched the rerun of the last episode today and my God Kate's voice gets worse and worse...ugh.

Late to this party, but throwing in my 2 cents anyway - lol.

I think Katie is the most talented, as long as there's acrylic involved.  Her red cabinet/wardrobe was great, but I agree with the judge who said that it needed different handles. It'll be interesting to see what she can do without it.  But I really, really can't stand listening to her vocal fry voice.  I want to pick her voice up off the floor and hand it to her.  Her voice sounds like the sound a comb makes when you run your fingers down the tines.

I find Gaspar's "artiste" attitude annoying, but I liked his buffet.  Those slide-out drawers were a great idea.

It's interesting to see Mr. Utley as one of the carpenters; haven't seen him around on HGTV in a while.

The bar was nice, but didn't seem practical.  Those glasses were going to get broken too easily.

The woman who got the boot because of the failed baby changing table deserved it.  That was a very poor design, if you've ever changed a baby's diaper.  I had the same idea that Leighdear above did.  I would have also extended the drawer pulls slightly from the face of the drawer's face, to make it easier to grab.  I probably would have given them contrasting pastel colors too, to attract the baby's attention when it is playing on the floor.

I like the show, but I may not be able to see it through just because of Katie's voice.  Like fingernails on a chalkboard--only worse.

Everything about Katie annoys me, including her voice. She mugs for the camera constantly, and she kind of wriggles when she's pleased with something, like a six-year-old. She seems to have some talent, but she's just awful personally. (Not as bad as Leslie was, though.)

• Love 2

I was soooooo disappointed that Katie didn't get the boot tonight.  Her cow table was awful and looked sloppy and I can't stand much more of her voice or her ridiculous outfits.  She's cute and she knows it and plays to the cameras and everyone around her.  Very annoying.

I think the final two will be Tim and Gaspar.  They're both very talented but very different. 

From watching Ellen on this show which is the only real exposure I've had to her, I don't understand her popularity.  She's not nearly as funny as she seems to think she is and her studied bumbling and casualness comes off as an act.  Not impressed.  Also, there is something odd about her eyes like maybe she's a little cross-eyed or something.  I can't put my finger on it.

• Love 4

Her eyes did look odd.  One looked more open than the other.  I never noticed it before, but I don't watch her daytime show.  The physical humor got old quick, too.  The Christiane lady was clearly looking at the door behind her when Ellen walked in, which kind of spoiled any illusion of it being an actual surprise for anyone.  

Re. vocal fry-- There was a funny 'This American Life' episode about it, recently.  You can find it online or in podcast form.  

If I was Katie I would've busted those cow legs off and put ANYthing in their place, including plain wood dowels.  The top was cute.  The bottom looked terrible.  And the tiny, upside down red udder craft bowl thingy they put on top of it?  WTH?  

Well, Ellen finally shows up, & I wish she would stay away. She added nothing to the show, & her "shtick" is annoying. I think Tim was the clear winner, but I thought Carley should have gone home. A table with a big missing piece down the middle is not clever, stuff is going to keep falling through.

I don't think I understand what the carpenter's purpose (besides the obvious) is on this show. I thought they were helpers, but it seems like they're too vested in the work to be just helpers. Do they win something too? 

• Love 1

So Ellen finally shows up in the third of six episodes?  What was her point in being there.  It's not like she was a judge.  I'm sure the committee chose the winner.  I just can't believe we are not rid of Katie and that voice..I was so happy at the thought :(.  What was the point in that?

I really liked Gaspar's table.  I just wish it was glass maybe?  I was afraid for Tim when he picked that awful chair but he did a great job.  I was thinking a round table might have been better but then I'm not creative at all.

Ellen's schtick was so stupid.  I've seen her show and she's usually pretty good.  This was pretty pathetic.

• Love 2

The roving "Zanna Roberts" advisor is terrible and everyone should ignore her.  Besides "Don't do what you do," which is stupid, the blacksmith had a beautiful "enclosed cabinet" design and threw it out in favor of some whack birdhouse to show the yarn.  Show the yarn?!  The two top pieces were enclosed cabinets!

Yeah, yeah, everyone hated Leslie, but your baby wouldn't go flying off if the piece were in place against a wall.  People change diapers on flat surfaces all the time.

There's no molecule of plexiglass in my house and I still loved the giant red armoire.  I have a enormous handcarved teak daybed and it makes people gasp when they turn the corner--I think the armoire's also a showstopper.

Edited by candall

I think Katie's designs are very artsy and very "Dr. Seuss-y" wouldn't fit into my home at all but girl does have talent (who cares what her voice sounds like), her design aesthetic seems to be very "young" and young people need/like furniture and once you're not young anymore you would have youngsters of your own to pass the pieces on to (if acrylic lasts that long).

Thank gawd Leslie's gone, what a b*tchy woman and she looked like she was always sucking on lemons.

I understand the non-functionality comments about Tim's designs but I don't get the negative comments about this designs being too masculine, men like furniture too don't they?

The other two are meh (although that cabinet was nice it seems like any piece you can find at any upscale furniture store).

I understand that Katie is going for young and 'hip' but she's seriously in danger of going off into whack-a-doodle territory.  Learn how to edit!  Just because you have an idea doesn't mean you have to take it to it's utmost limits.  That cow table never ever looked like a zebra.  Has Katie ever seen a zebra?

The judge's comment that would she take Tim's table and put in her showroom for 30 THOUSAND DOLLARS just goes to show a lot of people have way too much money.  How could anyone possibly justify spending $30,000 for a table?  Utter insanity.

• Love 6

I'm not sold on Carley's talent or Katie's voice, but I do feel a little obligated to root for them: they're alumnae of my soon-to-be alma mater, the Rhode Island School of Design (along with Jessica from "Framework", but I digress).

With that said, Tim FTW.

Point taken about the fairness of the judging, but I can understand the emphasis on the changing pad versus the glasses: glasses are replaceable, while babies are not.  Anything intended for use by or for a child should be designed with an eye to safety.

I'm surprised more wasn't said about the potential safety issues with Carley's birdhouse craft storage, since she was so emphatic about its being designed for children. How sturdy were those wall hooks, and how were they mounted? 

I was afraid for Tim when he picked that awful chair but he did a great job.  I was thinking a round table might have been better but then I'm not creative at all.

It was a Vernor Panton. A classic. I can understand you not liking it, but it was probably the most expensive chair on the wall. I wasn't terribly impressed by either Tim or Carley's designs. When two of you come up with an almost identical design, it means it's been done to death. And I've seen it a billion times. Carley's, of course, was completely impractical and didn't complement her chairs. At. All. That she picked that chair based on some tiny detail you couldn't even see from four feet away was dumb dumb dumb.

I liked Gaspar's best. It was cool, went well with his chair without being too matchy-matchy, which was why I wasn't completely crazy about Tim's.

• Love 2

Katie is very talented and my favorite.  I like her personal style and ignore her voice. 

Tim is doing some pretty good stuff and a departure from the style on his website which I find unappealing.  I don't care for western themed décor (understatement).  I don't like him all that much either and not sure why.

I was shocked when Carly chose that chair and even more so when seen with the table she made.  No relationship to each other at all. 

I would like to see Gaspar and Katie as final 2.

• Love 1

Tim is doing some pretty good stuff and a departure from the style on his website which I find unappealing.  I don't care for western themed décor (understatement).  I don't like him all that much either and not sure why.

Yeah, me, either. I don't what it is.

• Love 1

In all the years I've been watching HGTV and reading the magazine and reading design blogs, I have never heard the term "ghost chair", in reference to acrylic chairs.  David Bromstad used them all the time, too.  

I actually also don't fault Leslie the changing pad situation.  My own changing table was a pad on a plain dresser and I don't think it was ever secured and it was never a safety issue.  But I didn't leave a baby unattended, either.  I think Leslie figured a safety tether could be added later by a user.  But the furniture itself was hideous.  It looked like something from the Ikea "as is" section, something someone bought for $29 and then put together wrong.  

I was more confused by a Wayfair exec having a NYC furniture studio that could sell a $30k table than that she'd price it that way.  

I guess I'm the only one who slowed down the preview to see who won? :)

Tim & Katie are the final two and Tim wins. Katie is standing next to Ellen and Tim is getting a hug from 2 ladies & his carpenter is on stage clapping.

I wish the show didn't eliminate any designers and had a points system instead. I'd love to see six different designs each week.

• Love 5

I guess I'm the only one who slowed down the preview to see who won? :)

Tim & Katie are the final two and Tim wins. Katie is standing next to Ellen and Tim is getting a hug from 2 ladies & his carpenter is on stage clapping.

I wish the show didn't eliminate any designers and had a points system instead. I'd love to see six different designs each week.

I did slow it down but could only see one of the F2.  You are good! 

In all the years I've been watching HGTV and reading the magazine and reading design blogs, I have never heard the term "ghost chair", in reference to acrylic chairs.  David Bromstad used them all the time, too.

The ghost chair is the creation of Philippe Starck.  The chair has a very specific style; it Isn't a term for all acrylic chairs.  They are very cool. I love them. 

• Love 1

The ghost chair is the creation of Philippe Starck.  The chair has a very specific style; it Isn't a term for all acrylic chairs.  They are very cool. I love them. 

Ahh, that makes sense.  It is pretty.  

There are so many reality competition shows that I wish would do this.  They also don't have to start with 387 competitors to begin, 6-8 would work.  Then like REAL LIFE, one bad design/project/accident would completely eliminate a person from the show. 

Ya know how they all say "But the judges didn't get to see what I'm capable of"?  Then the judges would see ALL their work & score them appropriately. 

• Love 2

Do you think the reason why Ellen came in at this point was because the judges were going to vote out Katie, while the producers think that she brings a younger demographic to the show and wanted a reason to save her?

That cow table was horrendous, and plaster-coated legs? One good accidental whack with a chair leg and a chunk of it would break off.

She would be a good person to create a drinking game around:

- Unintelligible comment due to vocal fry > Drink

- Head duck > Drink

- Coy smile from under bangs > Drink

IMO, what Carley should have done with her table was either scribed and inserted a piece of Lucite into the chasm, or else filled it with that substance that hardens clear, the stuff that is used to make glass vases look like they have water in them. Then she would have still had the effect of the gap without the plates falling through.

• Love 5

Although I have been griping about Ellen not coming on her own show, now that she has, it just seemed odd.  She makes an appearance as if, oh look, I decided to put some effort into this show with my name on it!  I am not sure she added a whole lot, but oh well.  

I liked most of the tables, even the cow one.  The legs weren't great, but at least she had a concept and she went with it.  I am glad she wasn't asked to leave mainly because she has shown a lot of promise with her other pieces.  The other girl was so odd how she worked so hard on her table, and then said--oh yeah, I picked out these chairs!  They don't go together.  That was the whole point and how can you plan your table without considering the chair you chose.  

I also thought that Tim wasn't all that bright to not think that the chair he chose would influence what they design.  He acted all surprised by that...I think most people could see that coming from a mile away.

Kudos to those who can ignore Katie's vocal fry; it literally (use extreme fry on the last syllable) makes me want to hit mute. Her designs might appeal to 20-something's, but few of them can afford designer furniture.

As for the non-elim being done to save Katie, doubtful. The show is slotted for a predetermined number of episodes, so a non-elim round (or maybe two) was planned from the start. If it had been Leslie who was save, some people might have said it was done to keep,a villain on the show. It was part of the plan from the beginning, regardless of who it would save.

The cow tabletop,was fine, but a little too precious for me. The legs should have been plain black so as not to distract from the design.

Carly's chair choice was so bourgeois. Hard to make a designer table that would match it.

I liked Gaspar's and Tim's tables the best. I think this is Tim's show to lose.

Back to Leslie's change table. I've changed diapers on tabletops and counters with just a portable change pad and never felt it was unsafe. If a baby is old enough to be squirmy, you don't leave them unattended. Maybe Leslie should have done something with her sour apple (and not the good martini kind) face.