Type keyword(s) to search

Ellen's Design Challenge - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Editor's note:

Discuss Ellen's Design Challenge here.

Anyone watching Ellen's Design Project..

The brief segment I saw in a repeat early this morning ELLEN wasn't even in the show.

The judges were three people I didn't even know. Turns out two were from Dwell magazine and Wayfair home site.

Maybe it's just me but I am soooo over all the design judging shows with judges sitting high and mighty criticizing other people's work -- that THEY likely couldn't do themselves. It all just sounds like such BS. "I really don't see YOU and your design esthetic in this piece." 

Really?

• Love 2

Yep, I watched Ellen's Design Challenge.
Someone has requested a forum, and I think they can move these comments there when it's up.
I enjoyed the show, more that Design Challenge, maybe not as much as the captenter one.
I disliked the bitchy one.  Her carpenter seemed really touchy, but she'd been bitchy before he said anything.

I love Chip Wade, and he would be good as a judge, because he designs unique rooms.
I had never heard of Dwell, but someone from there was a judge on one of the remodel a house shows last year.
When they were showing their other work, I really liked what Gaspard did, but his chair did look like you might get cut on it.
The furniture designer guy was especially hard on him.
The bitchy woman's seemed pretty mundane wall hanging.  The one by the guy that went home did a better one she did.

My favorite was the welder's table.

• Love 1

I also loved the winning desk, and its designer. He seemed genuinely concerned when one of the other designers received a harsh critique - I liked that.

This must be a short-run series: they only started with 6 designers. It won't take long to eliminate 5 of them and award the winner.

• Love 1

Wings, I imagine that it will be repeated several times, and probably be shown right before the new one next week.

I liked the guy who won, but I couldn't see why that drawer wasn't falling open when you carried it.

I hadn't thought about it, but yes, Ellen should have had the courtesy to be there.
I kept wondering if she's ever seen Salvage Dawgs or West End Salvage, because they design furniture.

• Love 1

Not a bad cast, though young Katie had that gargling voice that drives me nuts.  Her cabinet was a bit whimsical, but as I'm not a whimsy fan with furniture, I was kinda meh about it.

Tim the desk guy was great and that desk was inspired.  I had never heard of a Campaign Desk before, but it's a fascinating concept.  Also very cool that he & his carpenter helped out Gaspard. I hope Gaspard returns the favor.

My main problem with Leslie's "wall" was it was SO freaking huge.  The room it could actually fit into, and function within, would have to be of gargantuan proportions.  Talk about impractical!  She was pretty unlikable, but most reality shows have a "villain", so she's obviously it.

I'm looking forward to next week.

• Love 1

Looved this new design show.  Very nice that the designers have carpenter support and the time limit wasn't insane.  Woe be unto you if you can't sew like a pro on Project Runway AND at warp speed.  Oh, and look, someone helped a competitor.  Nice.

Plus, who doesn't love a blacksmith?

I thought the breathy ingenuous woman with the crayons would wear thin pretty fast, but her cabinet was interesting.

That behemoth chair would be perfect in one of the cavernous houses on Million Dollar Listing:  LA.  They all have grey hard-edge interiors, crying out for some oversized pieces with a bit of curve.

I feel sorry for the woman who clashed with her carpenter.  Regardless of fault, that's a terrible disadvantage compared to all the new BFF work couples.

• Love 1

Not a bad cast, though young Katie had that gargling voice that drives me nuts.

Oh, good! I thought it was just me. Is that what I frequently see referred to as "vocal fry"?

The rest of the show was kinda boring. I'll probably tune in for the intro of the challenges and then fast forward to the reveal.

• Love 2

I liked the first episode however I wonder why Ellen herself wasn't there.  She was just there via TV.  For crying out loud the challenge is only 6 episodes and you can't find the time to be there?

I'm pretty sure it took place in California and that's where Ellen is...right?

• Love 7

So you could always tell who the crazies are in the first episode.  I'm looking at you Leslie.  Tempermental much? 

She didn't even do a good job.  I thought she should have gone first but then who would bring the drama

• Love 3

I wonder if we will get to see eventually.  Maybe they'll have  "switch carpenter challenge".  I liked how that one guy helped the other...and btw he made some beautiful desk.  The guy he helped (bald one) does look like he will bring the crazy and/or drama in later episodes though.

I thought that carpenter was really rude. If Leslie wanted the piece to stand up, why should he question her? I can only think that production asked him to behave in such an immature manner.

Tim's desk was far and away the best of the lot. He's a shoo-in for victory, imho.

The inflections of Katie's voice are sort of annoying. I wonder if she was embarrassed at hearing herself? Loved her cabinet.

Edited by Pepperminty

Katie's voice is actually a step up from vocal fry.  There is another furniture design show where the contestants have to build their designs themselves and have like  ten minutes for completion.  Needless to say, the furniture on this show is superior.  I loved that desk and it helped that the designer seemed like a really nice person.

I liked the first episode however I wonder why Ellen herself wasn't there.  She was just there via TV.  For crying out loud the challenge is only 6 episodes and you can't find the time to be there?

I'm pretty sure it took place in California and that's where Ellen is...right?

Even worse, they didn't even have her on a live remote.  It was pre-taped with her simply speaking and acting like she was acknowledging the contestants.

• Love 1

I feel sorry for the woman who clashed with her carpenter.  Regardless of fault, that's a terrible disadvantage compared to all the new BFF work couples.

I dunno. I have trouble feeling sorry for someone who's as arrogant as she seems to be.  And when you have as little building skill as she herself admitted to having, you'd think it would be basic common sense to be polite to your builder.  Guess that means she has no common sense.

• Love 11

I'm glad there's a forum for this show. I, too, thought Ellen would be more hands on. So she just gives them the challenge every week? The show reminds me more of Face Off than Project Runway - more professional, less conflict. I think that's why the "crazy lady" stood out so much.

I dunno. I have trouble feeling sorry for someone who's as arrogant as she seems to be.  And when you have as little building skill as she herself admitted to having, you'd think it would be basic common sense to be polite to your builder.  Guess that means she has no common sense.

She actually made me want to smack her when he asked her how he was supposed to do something & she got all huffy & said something like "I don't know, I don't build things, that's your job". I guess she just considers herself the idea person, & doing the actual putting together of the piece is beneath her.

• Love 3

Not a bad cast, though young Katie had that gargling voice that drives me nuts.  Her cabinet was a bit whimsical, but as I'm not a whimsy fan with furniture, I was kinda meh about it.

Tim the desk guy was great and that desk was inspired.  I had never heard of a Campaign Desk before, but it's a fascinating concept.  Also very cool that he & his carpenter helped out Gaspard. I hope Gaspard returns the favor.

Katie also has that Lena Dunham-style "behave like a toddler" schtick. Beyond annoying.

I've heard of campaign furniture, but that was not real campaign furniture because you couldn't disassemble it or fold it up, and it would be heavy. I get it as an "homage." But I thought the drawer "briefcase" was beyond stupid. Really, Tim? I can't imagine walking around with that heavy wooden drawer bouncing against and bruising my shins. So, I think of this more as a conceptual piece. And that stool? Even someone with a skinny butt wouldn't want to have to sit on it for more than ten minutes.

The teaser commercials leading up to the show all last month showed some really nice furniture, so I'm hoping we see a lot more than what we saw here tonight.

• Love 2

I laughed when that one designer - Leslie - after getting  a poor review by the judges was all "the judges didn't get my vision". No, they just didn't think she is as  talented as she thinks she is.

Quite frankly, she was so unpleasant throughout I was rooting for her to get eliminated first.

• Love 5

Has anyone looked at the websites for any of these designers ?? I looked up Leslie's and it is just awful. Clearly not designed to sell anything.

http://www.shapirojoyalstudio.com/info/#about

Now Tim, the western heritage furniture guy. I would buy everything he makes. I love his aesthetic , materials look. Here is his website. Funny in his story he talks about building a bed set for under the $1200 his girlfriend saw it listed for. He did and went on to build very expensive furniture .

http://westernheritagefurniture.com

• Love 4

I stumbled upon the show and rather enjoyed it. While I can appreciate the artistry of the whimsical pastelly wavy dresser, I don't care to have it. And the designer's vocal fry was maddening. Really liked the campaign desk. The briefcase drawer might have been Impractically heavy, that probably how it was back then. And the desk was an homage to the concept; it's not an actual general is going to use it make battle plans nor carry them around in the briefcase drawer.

I was surprised that the guy went home. Yeah, his piece was bland, but cranky woman's piece was worse, I thought, and she wasn't in the bottom two.

I don't expect Ellen to be there, she's just an investor in the show, no? Any actual appearances are just a bonus. It's not like she has any design skill,or knowledge.

• Love 1

I figure if it's called Ellen's Design Challenge, and she's in the promos, she's getting paid.

So it wouldn't kill her to show up for at least some of the episodes, especially the first one.

I was expecting her to host it, the first word in the title is Ellen's, it's like if Giada only showed up occasionally in a video during Giada at Home while other people cooked. Having her make brief appearances on a screen to do a monologue doesn't contribute anything to the show, & actually takes away time that they could use to show us more of how things are made. 

• Love 4

Yes.
I know in other shows she has kind of cross-fertilizing, with the Kitchen Cousins, or Mike Holmes, and had people on her show and gave them something, and only visited by video when the final makeover was revealed.
But this is different.
It's not Ellen and anyone, it only bears her name.

I love this show based on first episode.  

My favorite piece was Katie's whimsical cabinet.  I liked the desk, sort of.  It was unique at any rate. I also liked the bitchy woman's wall piece.  My home is modern and it is difficult to find places to display some very small treasures I have; they get lost easily.  The wall unit was art itself.  I liked that.  I would put that on the wall in my living room today, if I could.  I have a place for Katie's cabinet, too!   

I will tire of  Tim's work.  I am not fond of western themed furniture.  The desk escaped that but I think we are going to be hit in the face with it.   

The chair was hideous and I agree the proportion was way off.

I was sorry to see that guy go.  I understand why.  His concept was an unfortunate mistake.  Though I liked the bitchy woman's piece, I would like to see her go.  It would be refreshing to see a serious design show without this personality.  We get enough of that everywhere else. 

Ellen decorates her own homes (she has moved a lot).  She is talented in that arena.  I believe she had the concept for this show or was approached by someone who knew her passion for design.  I don't fault her for not being there in person.  As we saw, she will drop in, on occasion. 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 2

I agree with those that thought Ellen should be there.  All I have seen is constant advertisements for "her" show, and then when she just only showed up via a tv feed, I was like, "what?".  It just seemed silly to me that it is her show, and she couldn't be there for the first show at least.

And yes, the rude lady and her wall board should have come in last in my opinion.  I felt bad for the guy that went because his wall board was better than hers.  It just seemed strange for him to leave over the chair guy and the other lady.

• Love 1

You know I actually thought Ellen would come in at some point during the show and surprise everyone.  When that didn't happen I thought when they said a "judge handpicked by Ellen" I was like..aha..here she is.  Except..no it wasn't.

I do think she should either host the damn show or be a judge.  It's only 6 episodes.

• Love 1

I do think she should either host the damn show or be a judge.  It's only 6 episodes.

To be fair, that's still anywhere from 18-24 days, depending on how the show actually defines a "week". That could be a pretty big bit out of her schedule.

But the FIRST episode and the LAST are when she needed to show up in person. Even Rihanna showed up for the first and last when SHE produced a crappy competitive reality show.

• Love 3

The inflections of Katie's voice are sort of annoying. I wonder if she was embarrassed at hearing herself? Loved her cabinet.

I didn't watch the first episode. My first thought hearing her speak was OH MY GOD. She might be the reason I can't keep watching the show.

Well, she's gone. I won't miss Leslie, & I have a feeling her carpenter won't either. I thought her desk was OK, but that was a big miss on the baby sliding off the top thing. I thought the winning piece was a bit much though, a huge red piece of furniture needs a really big room.

• Love 2

Are all the carpenters from HGTV/DIY network shows?  I recognized Matt Muenster (Bath Crashers) and Jeff Devlin (I Hate My Bath), and now Chip Wade (Elbow Room). What about the others?

ETA: Matt was with Mark, the first guy eliminated, and Jeff is with Carley, the blacksmith.

Edited by Miracle Maxie

I love Katie's work!  I think she will win this.  I would love to own her cabinet from last week.  As far as her red armoire, it was an art piece to fit the challenge.  Very few have a need for those anymore and the judges knew that.  She got the worst challenge box and created something very cool.  

Gaspar's cabinet was beautiful but this show wants more than just a pretty piece of furniture.  

The craft storage was terrible and not even efficient storage.  

Chris' bar was beautiful but it only stored martini glasses and a few wine bottles?  Odd.  I suppose the box only contained them but it didn't look like it could store any of the other things.  I saw a door under the cutting board but it looked tiny.  

• Love 2

Even worse, they didn't even have her on a live remote.  It was pre-taped with her simply speaking and acting like she was acknowledging the contestants.

Ellen's parts remind me of her "attraction" in Epcot - with the dinosaurs and Bill Nye the Science Guy.  It gets very hacky.  Stop pretending you can see them, just talk about your intro.  If you wanted to interact with them, go to the studio. 

While I agree that Leslie needed to go and her "changing table/dresser" was awful, the fact that the changing pad slid off was the least of the issues.  I also converted a dresser to a changing table and most changing pads come with little anchor strips that you screw into the back of the table so no baby sliding can occur.  That way when you want to use the dresser after infancy, you can.  Not that you'd use this one with those tacky drawer pull shapes past child hood.  Or that you'd ever use that low dresser as a changing table - unless you are particularly short or like bending over in half several times a day to change a diaper.

• Love 5

While I agree that Leslie needed to go and her "changing table/dresser" was awful, the fact that the changing pad slid off was the least of the issues.  I also converted a dresser to a changing table and most changing pads come with little anchor strips that you screw into the back of the table so no baby sliding can occur.  That way when you want to use the dresser after infancy, you can.  Not that you'd use this one with those tacky drawer pull shapes past child hood.

She did say that the drawer pulls could be changed for a more adult look. 

I was glad to see her go -- I'm not sure she smiled once while she was there, and she had weird eyebrows that were almost as annoying as Katie's vocal fry.

I take that back; *nothing* is as annoying as Katie's vocal fry.  And when she used it to say "Totally" to someone, I wanted to smack her.  ;)

• Love 2

I have no idea who some of the carpenters are but if I'd been working with Leslie I would have found some way to maneuver her throat under the buzz saw.  I admired his forbearance.

• Love 3

Katie is cute.  Every time I look at her I think of Catherine Zeta-Jones in "Chicago."  Her voice, however, is just awful.  Yike.

I agree with everyone who said Ellen should have been there as she has her name in the title.  I don't watch her show so I don't know what she's usually like or how she normally comes across but she strikes me in her taped bits as someone who is acutely aware she is on camera and is playing to same.

I thought the red armoire was a monstrosity and Gaspard's piece should have won.  Or Tim's.  His may not have been totally practical (just like a giant armoire that wouldn't fit in most bedrooms) but the craftsmanship was apparent.

And speaking of Tim................. I looked at his website and he does beautiful work.  The judges pulled that annoying trope of telling him to stretch himself or think outside the box or something.  I do not understand why that would be considered an improvement over someone doing what they do and do very well at that.  If I had a serious talent and entered a contest involving same and the stakes were high, I would want to do what I know how to do.

I liked the show. I don't usually watch these kind of things but I am an HDTV fan and had it on.

Anyway -- loved that Katie chick! What a talented little thing she is! Wow! I would so buy that lovely red wardrobe closet. I also like her first cabinet ---so very modern chic! I want her to win.  (I don't care what her voice sounds like or that she is Lena Dunham like --what does that even mean?  I mean --who cares?) The girls has more talent in her little finger than half the other's there.

The dude with the cowboy hat...?? Jim?? maybe? Anyway he is obviously very skilled in woodworking. He won the first contest but honestly --- that desk was pretty impractical  IMO. How would one ever sit at it? but the wood work was lovely so I guess he deserved to win.

The bitchy chick who couldn't get along with her carpenter was a trip! HaHa! That baby changing table with the cushion flying off was pretty funny. Ooooooopps! There goes the baby!

The welding chick was pretty intense. I liked her too but wasn't super impressed with her stuff.

I didn't care whether Ellen was there or not. made no difference to this viewer.

• Love 2

I liked the show. I don't usually watch these kind of things but I am an HDTV fan and had it on.

Anyway -- loved that Katie chick! What a talented little thing she is! Wow! I would so buy that lovely red wardrobe closet. I also like her first cabinet ---so very modern chic! I want her to win.  (I don't care what her voice sounds like or that she is Lena Dunham like --what does that even mean?  I mean --who cares?) The girls has more talent in her little finger than half the other's there.

The dude with the cowboy hat...?? Jim?? maybe? Anyway he is obviously very skilled in woodworking. He won the first contest but honestly --- that desk was pretty impractical  IMO. How would one ever sit at it? but the wood work was lovely so I guess he deserved to win.

The bitchy chick who couldn't get along with her carpenter was a trip! HaHa! That baby changing table with the cushion flying off was pretty funny. Ooooooopps! There goes the baby!

The welding chick was pretty intense. I liked her too but wasn't super impressed with her stuff.

I didn't care whether Ellen was there or not. made no difference to this viewer.

I agree with every word!  :>)

• Love 1

Anyway -- loved that Katie chick! What a talented little thing she is! Wow! I would so buy that lovely red wardrobe closet. I also like her first cabinet ---so very modern chic! I want her to win.  (I don't care what her voice sounds like or that she is Lena Dunham like --what does that even mean?  I mean --who cares?) 

I don't care about these people on any level, and I'm going to make fun of Katie for talking like she's in Valley Girl.  What the heck was she wearing, too?  They hire these people because they're characters.  Like how the cowboy dude walked in on day one literally with saddlebags slung over this shoulder.  Like he rode over from Durango.  

And I tuned in partly to see Ellen and she's not actually on the show so I feel like it's a bait and switch.  

I LITERALLY had to mute my TV when Katie was speaking.  That said, her cabinet was clever and pretty cool.

I still think Gaspard should have won for that amazing cabinet. 

Leslie definitely wore out her welcome.  She kept reminding me of a less attractive and crankier Megan Mulally. 

• Love 1

Glad Leslie is gone. She should have left last week. She had excuses for everything. I loved Gaspard's cabinet. Katie's was cute but huge! Do vocal fry girls practice? They surely aren't born with that voice and Valley Girls are too old now to have children this young to influence.

• Love 2