Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E07: Donna and Joe

What I have always loved about this show  (among other things) is the tendency for the characters to give a side-eye to the camera at inopportune moments.  It would probably be meaningless without the occasional monologue, but their expressions during those glances are priceless.

• Love 4

Great episode, but I had water in the eyes at the Garry gift from Donna.  I didn't catch it at first b/c we have been through soooo many different variations of the name he is called, but the wink from Donna is what broke me down.  She really is a great character and it does go to show how she has the back of all of her co-workers no matter what.

• Love 3

I think the season is letting Leslie and Ben recognize their potential beyond the town.

It seems well established that Ben's time as City Manager has really helped the town develop as has the Merger. Gryzzl, despite their evil corporate-ness has been a boon to the local economy, and the city doesn't live under the Sweetums thumb anymore. Last season it would have been hard for Leslie to leave because there was still so much the city had to accomplish. Now, it looks like that's ultimately been realized.

• Love 2

Lots of characters getting happy endings so soon. Even a first name resolution for Gergich.  Is the rest of this season going to be Ben's election campaign? Zzzz. I need another time jump, please!

April did not want to leave Pawnee for a National Parks opportunity.  No way is she (and hubby) moving to D.C. if Ben wins.  If anything April would work out of Ben's Pawnee local district office.  But that's still not a satisfying resolution to her career search.

Edited by Beach Party

In theory, I totally support Ben running. He has been shown to be totally supportive of Leslie being the one in the spotlight but he has also been shown to be very competent as the city manager. Running for office would let him have a more high powered career than he would if he stayed in Pawnee, but it would really let him get over Icetown. I know that was supposed to be covered last week, but this would go beyond a speech on public access tv.

The reality is that I don't want to watch another campaign, especially with this shortened final season.

Loved everything about Donna and Joe's wedding though, from April successfully keeping the Meagles in line to Ben's drunken toast. And I will never say no to Ginuwine! I knew we weren't going to get him singing "Pony" since we already got that gem (shout out to Lil Sebastian!) but I laughed that he thought he was going to sing only to have Craig sing "Donna."

• Love 1

Awesome episode. My favourite little thing was how when hungover Leslie and Ben woke up she was eating from a little bag of goldfish crackers. I have two small children and I swear we never go anywhere without either some of those or a container of cheerios.

• Love 1

What I have always loved about this show  (among other things) is the tendency for the characters to give a side-eye to the camera at inopportune moments.  It would probably be meaningless without the occasional monologue, but their expressions during those glances are priceless.

Indeed. And Adam Scott has to be the king of those, especially in the Little Sebastian episodes.

The reality is that I don't want to watch another campaign, especially with this shortened final season.

I somewhat agree. As great as this season has been so far (and this weeks episode was maybe the best), it's obvious that the show has to end. The time jump and the shortened season really injected some much needed life, but that can only last so long. Yet another campaign? I rolled my eyes at first, but at least it won't be Leslie all over again and the show really caught me off guard when it revealed it would be about Ben this time. Should be a great ending for his character arc - although we probably won't get to know the actual outcome of the election (outside of maybe an epilogue in the final scenes), but I guess that isn't really all that important. I'm also hopeful that it will be just one of the plots and not the focus of the entire show, since the other characters need some closure, too - especially April and Andy, who judging by the upcoming epsiode titles, will be at the center of at least two of them.

Speaking of those titles (better put it in spoiler tags, I guess):

Ep. 11 is called "Two funerals". Now I don't think Schur will pull a Whedon on us (and kill Jerry ahem Garry on his last day of work or something unnecessary like that), but I do wonder what will happen. It's probably going to be a recurring character (wild guess: Bobby Newport) and since there are two funerals and it's Pawnee we're talking about, it could be a completely absurd accident. My guess is it'll have something to do with Sweetums, like a sugar overdose or the candy factory exploding or something. Or maybe the funerals aren't related, like some guy and an animal (please not Champion! Aw, now I'm worried about him)? Other ideas? Fire away!

Where in the hell is Diane? Her not going to the wedding was a glaring omission to me. The show managed to get Christie Brinkley to turn up but they couldn’t even give Diane a friggin’ shout out?

Loved the purple dress that Donna wore at the beginning of the episode. I think I liked that better than her wedding dress.

Donna sneaking in a way for Garry to be called by his correct name? Love it.

April removing all the Meagle troublemakers and just laying into them was amazing. So awesome.

I was really surprised that Ron talked to Lucy about Tom’s hopes for their future. Ron is usually allergic to such things. But speaking of Ron, he and I are on the same page when it comes to churches. I don’t care for organized religion but their cathedrals, churches etc. are things of beauty (usually).

Drunk Ben and Leslie were hilarious. Him saying how amazing it is to come home to this roommate who’s amazing and then realizing that you’re married to them and whhaaaaat? And Leslie toasting him and yelling “he’s talking about me!” Gold. :)  And then their crappy dancing and Donna allowing it because it amused her?  Double gold.

I have always loved how much these two support each other, both personally and professionally.

I really appreciated Jen's comments about her freedom due to not having kids. You don't see that perspective very much these days. Some people simply don't WANT kids.

One nitpick: I wasn’t a fan of Ben being insulting to Garry…what the heck? Didn’t they spend an ep or two last season where Ben defends him and publicly states that he likes him?

Edited by NoWillToResist
  • Love 2

Where in the hell is Diane? Her not going to the wedding was a glaring omission to me. The show managed to get Christie Brinkley to turn up but they couldn’t even give Diane a friggin’ shout out?

I bought that. They have two kids and toddler. This is a marriage of his work friends. If they couldn't arrange child care I can see her opting to stay home and watch the kids while he goes. Plus who would Ron be ok with watching his kids (especially in his house)? The only people I can think of who would be on that list were already at the wedding. 

One nitpick: I wasn’t a fan of Ben being insulting to Garry…what the heck? Didn’t they spend an ep or two last season where Ben defends him and publicly states that he likes him?

I'm a little disappointed by that too. Maybe Ben and Garry drifted apart because Ben has three little kids now and he and Leslie both have busy careers? Even Leslie has acknowledged having less time to spend with her former co-workers. But I miss that friendship. 

• Love 2

I bought that. They have two kids and toddler. This is a marriage of his work friends. If they couldn't arrange child care I can see her opting to stay home and watch the kids while he goes. Plus who would Ron be ok with watching his kids (especially in his house)? The only people I can think of who would be on that list were already at the wedding. 

Oh, I can understand Diane's absence; I just thought it was weird that there was no mention her (unless I missed it). I would have been totally fine with a throwaway line from Ron: "Diane wanted to come but our son is sick and she had to stay home."