Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Where Are They Now? Chuck and Paula

• Start Topic

And he learned absolutely nothing from being dumped by Nissa. He blamed it on being fat, not on being an asshole. He didn't seem to really miss Nathan all that much...it very well could be that he just didn't want to pay child support. 

I remember the posts about his blaming his wife's murder for his rapid weight gain. But IIRC, there was absolutely no mention of him in the obituary and she was living in a FEMA trailer, dead broke. I think Chuckles hangs on to women who support him financially until they wise up. I guess if he were a gigolo I could see it, but eww.

• Love 8

I just saw the Chuck follow-up epi on Sunday.

I agree, I just don't get Chuck.

Not only did he and Nissa get divorced but did he totally throw out his relationship with Nathan?

And his new wife. Does it not bother her that he would if he did?

I feel bad for Nathan because did daddy just disappear from his life?

Somebody on another forum said Chuck is now separated from the new wife.

"It's not my fault." - Chuck.

Maybe the ex finally watched his episodes and ran for the hills.

Oh Chuck. Like others have sad, he's using his weight as an excuse as to why Nissa left. No Chuck, she left because you are a jerk. Doesn't matter if you weight 600+ or 250. He's like a dry drunk: still a jerk without a good excuse. 

Happy for Paula but feel so bad for her girls. They clearly arent eating the same foods...

Chuck is such a little whiny b****. At first I felt so bad for him, then I saw how mean he was and totally changed my outlook. I'm not saying all he's been through has been easy, but that's no excuse to be mean and nasty to people. 

Wow! I just watched the original Chuck episode and he reconciled with Nissa at the end, so very sad that they didn't make it. BUT I can totally see why she dumped the man-child.  How awful that he walked away from his kid! Would love to see a follow up on her.

• Love 1

I also watched the original Chuck case, and Nissa was right to run away from him.   The child wasn't his, but either some relative of hers, or something like that, but that was not his kid.   I think his only attachment to her was as a caretaker, and for her medical insurance.   He actually said that he was worried about her leaving him, because she was the source of his medical insurance.      His anger against Nissa was chilling, and I'm glad that he has no access to the little boy.    

Also, when he talks about the first wife's murder, it was true, but it was a long time after she divorced him also, and if I recall correctly, he wasn't even mentioned in the obit, or at the funeral.     The first wife was broke, living in a FEMA trailer, and had no contact with him.  I'm not sure he even knew where the first ex-wife was living when she was killed.      

Then on the follow up, Chuck lost a lot more weight, and went back to work driving tow trucks, and met a nice lady at church.   They married, at the end of the episode, and later she divorced him also. 

The mass removal was 25 pounds when Dr. Now weighted it.      

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2
On 4/24/2019 at 3:52 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I also watched the original Chuck case, and Nissa was right to run away from him.   The child wasn't his, but either some relative of hers, or something like that, but that was not his kid.   I think his only attachment to her was as a caretaker, and for her medical insurance.   

Also, when he talks about the first wife's murder, it was true, but it was a long time after she divorced him also, and if I recall correctly, he wasn't even mentioned in the obit, or at the funeral.     The first wife was broke, living in a FEMA trailer, and had no contact with him.

Then on the follow up, Chuck lost a lot more weight, and went back to work driving tow trucks, and met a nice lady at church.   They married, at the end of the episode, and later she divorced him also.     

What a winner!!/sarc      I just watched the original of this because I thought I hadn't seen it.  About 20 minutes in, I realized I had seen it so I came here to see if there was a follow up.

I know it was mentioned that the daughter murdered the first wife, but I wondered if Chuck was considered a suspect at the earliest stages of the investigation.

I don't recall seeing any therapy for him at all.  He could sure use an anger management class. 

I couldn't believe he was so unwilling to go pick up pain meds for his wife.  His whining about losing insurance if he she left him was horrid.   I was a bit surprised Dr Now didn't do her surgery as well.   At least he went back to work so I guess he has some insurance now.

I am glad he got that mass removed from his leg.  If I had the slightest idea I was storing fat in my leg like that I would freak out and stop eating.  It would send me into an anorexic spiral.

Edited by Twopper
  • Love 2
(edited)

Oh my Lord, I loathed Chuck. He is a classic narcissist. Everything was about him; his perception of others was hugely inconsistent and he seemed to be spoiling for a fight all the time. The demented look on his face when he dragged Nissa to the buffet was fascinating; he really did look like a junkie about to get a much-needed fix. I don't believe he will be successful long-term.

I was glad to see that Nissa left his sorry ass. Refusing to get pain meds for someone after surgery is a new kind of low. He eventually went to get them but it is pretty clear he really didn't give a damn about how Nissa was feeling. He caterwauled like a horny cat when it was his time to be in pain, though. He even blamed Nissa for the bumps in his own shitty driveway because it hurt to bounce around in the car after surgery. But when Nissa was hurting? Meh, time to eat some popcorn. ASSHOLE.

It was pathetic, bordering on comical, that he thought he could sway Nissa's divorce leanings by offering to get her car new tires and an oil change. That says a lot about Chuck; he's childish, emotionally stunted, and utterly incapable of understanding another person. He deserves to be alone, a state of being he clearly hates.

One last thing about Upchuck: He was being all kind and friendly to his son in the scene in the hospital when Nissa was about to take the son home, but when Nissa mentioned she was going to take the kid home, Chuck withdrew every scrap of affection and turned very cold. He ignored the child's repeatedly touching his shirt. He is an abuser and Nissa was a fool to bring a child around that man. I question her judgment of men, because 60 seconds into Upchuck's episode, it was glaringly clear that he's a narcissist. ...That was a lot to say about Upchuck, but I really, really loathe him.

Paula is a perpetual angry teenager, as her hair attests. She also set off narcissistic vibes with me. I don't think she cares much about her children's weight or nutrition, or she would have taken drastic steps far before it got as bad as it did. As the pounders always say, by the time they were porky kids, it was pretty much too late to change their eating habits; any time someone tried, they rebelled and just got that much fatter. So I think Paula's kids will be heavy adults, too. Paula is just overall very immature and self-involved and I don't see her being much of a source of strength or comfort to anybody; she's someone who should never have had children, or she should have at least tried to fix her own issues before having them. As it is, I see her just perpetuating the cycle of neglect and overeating. Way to go, Paula. I don't like her.

Every single person who has had the surgery looks ill. Their faces look gaunt and the skin looks weirdly both sagging and taut. They are probably constantly low on essential nutrients. I don't know why anyone would do that to themselves. There are also people who have the surgery and who suffer nausea or an inability to eat more than a handful of foods the rest of their lives. The surgery doesn't make logical sense. If you can lose weight on your own, then just keep on trucking instead of having your innards permanently altered.

I also think Dr. Now's 1200 calorie diet is bullshit and dooms people to failure. No one can keep at 1200 calories without feeling deprived, hungry, and/or tired all the time. There are exceptions but those are very few and far between. He also has people restricting fat intake, which is ridiculous. He and the nutritionists seem to have a visceral (ha) terror of fat. Fat is actually satiating, does not provoke an insulin response, and does not raise cholesterol. Cholesterol is provoked by sugar intake, not by fat intake. Dr. Now and his pathetic nutritionists and equally pathetic dietitians need to quit with the "Carrots and egg whites are healthy" crap and wake up to the fact that fat is healthy. It is carbs, in any form, that cause problems, not fat. It is very frustrating to watch. And I insist that keto should be tried with these people; who knows, it might work for some better than the Food Pyramid that Dr. Now is pushing. Given that they view food the same way an alcoholic views alcohol, no diet may actually work for them, but keto at least hasn't been tried on the show with them. I'm very curious as to how 600 pounders would react to keto.

Edited by Ralphster
  • Love 1

From what I read on here, maybe even before Primetimer, Chuck hadn't been in touch with the first wife for a long time before the murder.  I remember someone saying that he didn't know about the crime until quite a while after she died.      I love that Nissa stood up to him, and left him, and didn't have the little boy around toxic Chuck.   It certainly says a lot that though he lost a lot of weight, that it changed nothing about his personality.    The third wife certainly saw through him, unfortunately not until she married, and then divorced him.   

• Love 4
On 8/29/2020 at 11:29 AM, dahling said:

If Paula's Facebook page is any indication, she's living her best life 7 years out from surgery.  https://www.facebook.com/pjami47

Hi @dahling. I found this before and after of Paula in an article dated May 2, 2020. I'm one of those folks who don't have Facebook with no plans to sign up for it any time soon, so I couldn't use the link you posted. Are there any photos on her Facebook account that look like the after picture below?

paula-jones-1535570335.thumb.jpg.3eb5c6aaf4ffbb19cbfa8afc11195709.jpg

I didn't watch the recent rebroadcast of the  WATN with her and Chuck since it's five years old. I remember liking Paula a lot and wish her well. She had her ups and downs of course like anyone trying to lose a significant amount of weight but IIRC she owned it and kept plugging away. Good for her!

Edited by DC Gal in VA
Typo.