Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E05: Gryzzlbox / S07.E06: Save JJ's

I'm such a doofus. I thought the Gryzzle (sp) was a spoof on Google. They are building something huge in Oklahoma. But Apple makes much more sense.

I think it's a riff on pretty much all of them. They've got a social media platform like Facebook (I mean, no one really uses Google+), the name definitely evokes Google, the headquarters and the solid device market seems like a take on Apple, the delivery service is straight from Amazon. They've got it nebulous enough to just be a stand-in for whatever they need for the story, which I think is a fair way to do it, and certainly Parks and Rec's style.

• Love 7

Completely agree.  They are treating like its a bad series to burn through and get rid off/be done with, which is a shame. 

I know it feels like they're burning it off, but I mentioned last week that I don't think that's actually the case. NBC originally had four midseason comedies that they could program into two 1-hour blocks. Parks and Rec, Kimmy Schmidt, Undatable, and, uhm, something else. My gut is that their original plan was to launch Kimmy Schmidt with the final season of Parks and Rec (you get the Poehler-Fey connection that way), but then they decided to make a deal with Netflix to move the show over there. They didn't want to leave either of the other two shows floundering on their own, and they didn't want a hole of reruns in their schedule paired with 30 minutes of new programming, so this is what we got. I doubt anyone finds it a satisfying solution, but they can't leave either of the show's they're trying to grow out in the wilderness by itself, so this is what we end up with.

It's kind of strange how many times Ron smiles now. I understand it, but it seemed like before he only smiled like that at Li'l Sebastian or while drunk on snake juice.

I like to believe that the birth of John [middle name redacted] Swanson has softened him quite a bit. 

• Love 1

Last name is alphabetical

Oh jeez, I had read them all as "garner", even though I know quite well who Victor Garber is! 

I think Ron might also be happier now because he's no longer working for the government. 

• Love 2

Also, if the Parks audience is not the kind of audience that watches the show live (are we?) then I can't really blame NBC for binge-airing them like this.

I do their whole "Peacock Panel" thing where they email me surveys, and every single one in the past year has had a lot to do with binge watching, so you might be on to something there.

Edited by truebluesmoky

Feinstein has shown to be evil before. In the episode where Ben and Andy were trying to raise funds he made some mention of his love of hunting and how he wanted to hunt the "ultimate target." Tom was fairly certain that Feinstein meant he was going to hunt Tom. 

Yeah, Feinstein is evil.  I'm watching S4E10 (Citizen Knope) and Ben goes to Dennis' office to interview for the CFO job, and the current CFO is in the office, and Dennis says (paraphrasing) when Ben apologizes to the CFO "Just treat him like a person in another country that you paid $25,000 to hunt." And Dennis says he's done that before, so unleashing perfume stink on crowds of protesters is actually a step in the right direction.  LOL!

• Love 1

I liked that Tom signed over supervisor roles when asking out his employee.  He should not have voided it after she said yes.

April had a huge wake up call to what her job may have been without her P&R opportunity.   I was hoping she would've tracked down the intern she scared away instead of pulling in new candidates.

The second episode felt frustratingly disjointed from the first.  They had spent time developing the slyness of Santangelo in the first.  This climaxed with the ending scene of Ron in the rain with the drone he shot down.  Then the show switched to Feinstein as the new nemesis.  The show wrapped it all up in the final minutes.  That was a good solution, but I was hoping for Gryzzl to have a moral loss.  btw, I'd love a personalized gift box from Gryzzl!  

• Love 3

Those were some fun episodes. Tom saying Josh Groban eating his own sushi was the most baller move he had ever seen made me laugh a lot. 

One thing confused me though, If it is 2017, then why did Leslie have a kids photo album from February 2016? You would have think she had that thing made and distributed by March 1st 2016.

Oh and as far as outstanding plotlines, on top of Aprils future, we also have Donna's wedding to look forward to.

Facebook and privacy is what jumps out at me.  Facebook is always data mining what you "Like" and then giving you ad suggestions based on that, and everyone complains about the lack of privacy.  There are some things you have to make public if you join Facebook; there's no choice about those things.  And then of course a lot of people feel the 'need' to join Facebook because everyone and every business is on it.

Ben's speech in Perd's courtroom (I loved that it had People's court music) also had elements of some of the debate points I have seen regarding net neutrality, with regards to how the internet is no longer just some fun distraction for people to play around on, but a resource that people need to get by in society today. 

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Love 1

I've got a question for the group here...does anyone else notice Amy's/Leslie's voice is strained a lot more in this season's episodes?  There was one Old Navy ad where Amy's voice was strained (the pop singer one), but I thought it was an affectation for the ad.  But the same strained sound turns up in P&R.  Am I hallucinating sounds? 

• Love 2

One thing confused me though, If it is 2017, then why did Leslie have a kids photo album from February 2016? You would have think she had that thing made and distributed by March 1st 2016.

I assumed Leslie was catching Ron up on everything he'd missed because of their feud.

• Love 6

I've got a question for the group here...does anyone else notice Amy's/Leslie's voice is strained a lot more in this season's episodes? There was one Old Navy ad where Amy's voice was strained (the pop singer one), but I thought it was an affectation for the ad. But the same strained sound turns up in P&R. Am I hallucinating sounds?

I've noticed it. I thought maybe she was just sick for a few episodes.

Also, if the Parks audience is not the kind of audience that watches the show live (are we?) then I can't really blame NBC for binge-airing them like this.

It's appointment television for me.  It's one of only two TV shows I watch.

• Love 2
"And the next domino to fall? Ron Swanson. Actually, this is Tom Sell-oink, but close enough." Indeed!

Shouldn't it have been...Ron Swine-son?

Thank you! I'll be here all week! Tip your waiter!

• Love 7

April had a huge wake up call to what her job may have been without her P&R opportunity.   I was hoping she would've tracked down the intern she scared away instead of pulling in new candidates.

Yeah, that was weird, I was pretty sure that was going to happen. Maybe the girl shows up at the National Parks Service - Dept. Knope instead next week.

I don't know why I didn't jump on this earlier, but Tom pointing out that Josh Groban eating his own Sushi is so baller is a call back to Aziz's stand up where he talks about being in a club and watching Jay-z pour and drink his own Vodka.

Ha!

• Love 3

I don't know why I didn't jump on this earlier, but Tom pointing out that Josh Groban eating his own Sushi is so baller is a call back to Aziz's stand up where he talks about being in a club and watching Jay-z pour and drink his own Vodka.

Ha, I didn't hear about that.  While not food related, it did remind me of Aziz's stand up where he said that he met Kanye West, and Kanye was actually jamming to his own music and being all "Isn't this awesome?!"

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 2

I don't know why I didnyOu't jump on this earlier, but Tom pointing out that Josh Groban eating his own Sushi is so baller is a call back to Aziz's stand up where he talks about being in a club and watching Jay-z pour and drink his own Vodka.

Ha!

That's funny about his stand-up. What made the show extra funny is I would be surprised if anyone has ever referred to Josh Groban as a baller before.

Love, love, love this show. Now  Leslie has her park, she and Ron friends again, we know Ron and Diane are all good, Donna is almost married and Tom is  with a great girl, what will happen next? Getting April settled is about the last big thing. So in character than Ron didn't hate the Grizzl data mining until they went after his son, shooting down the robot was super.  And Ron tearing up the pix of John (middle name redacted) Swanson- gold. This season is really turning out to be a love letter  to longtime fans, and I am enjoying every minute of it.

I forgot that Paul Rudd i\was confirmed to return, so this won't be the last we'll see of the Newports.

I think it's being set up that April runs for Dexhart's city council seat. The show made such a big point of showing she moved to his district and reminded the audience that he's terrible.

I too wonder where this show is going with April's career.  The time shift to 2017 still shows April as someone who isn't passionate about service.  But I guess if Dexhart got away with neglecting that district, then April couldn't do much worse as a councilperson. A ton of work headed her way if Gryzzl vitalizes that district.  Will April be up for it?

April would love being her own boss with no one to answer to.  A job/career where she can ignore clients if she wants.  Maybe a job in politics is a good fit.  Haha.

I too wonder where this show is going with April's career.  The time shift to 2017 still shows April as someone who isn't passionate about service.  But I guess if Dexhart got away with neglecting that district, then April couldn't do much worse as a councilperson. A ton of work headed her way if Gryzzl vitalizes that district.  Will April be up for it?

Yea I was wondering about the councilor thing. Not really sure it fits with what Craig said about her working with people one on one.

• Love 1

This show is really just so awful now. They've run out of things to do with the shows initial concept (town government) and have resorted to jumping into the future and taking each character off in all these random directions. This show isn't funny anymore and it just kind of sucks.

This is such an underrated show, I hate that it doesn't get more attention

It does such a great job with political satire and offering a fair, unbiased view of the two political extremes of our culture between Leslie and Ron. At a time when there is such annimosity between red/blue and democrat/republican (yes I know ron is a libertarian, but close enough), its so refreshing to see a show portraying the two sides finding common ground and working together, being friends. Leslie and Ron have become one of my favorite pairings on TV. I may even like them better than Liz and Jack on 30 Rock. You can't question either ones integrity or principles even if you disagree with them. These episodes just reinforce it once again.

This is truly one of the best political shows on TV, though its not recognized as such.

Completely agree. They are treating like its a bad series to burn through and get rid off/be done with, which is a shame.

I agree especially with bolded part.

.Just like that a huge company decides to renovate an entire decrepit neighborhood and change its entire plans on a new headquarters?  

I have consistently been under the impression that the "brains" behind Grizzl are...not very effective. They are rich and so they attract smart developers/inventors etc., but the actual people who own/run the company? They have often come across to me as flighty, rich stoners.

I adored everything about the drones; from their first appearance on Ben and Leslie's doorstop (BTW, that is not the same house in which Ben proposed to Leslie, is it? I guess they had to upgrade due to the triplets?) when Leslie apologized for laughing at Ben's novel where the robots take over (and how sweet was it that they held hands when they thought the robots had 'come for' them?), to Donna's reveal about her and Joe's pet names for each other, to Ron's destruction of one. Perfection.

Joe's reaction to Donna and Tom's "Treat Yo Self 2017" was fucking hilarious. He looked mildly panicked/alarmed and a lot confused. His repeated requests for an explanation and/or clarification to Donna, Tom and Jerry (fuck you, I'm not calling him Terry) made me laugh. I also think that Retta's excited/happy reaction shots could cure depression.

I was fine with most of April's antics until she ripped up the one keener intern's questionnaire right in front of him. I can let a lot of her behaviour/attitude slide but that's just unforgivably bitchy.

Leslie and Ron's consistently mangled hugs/handshakes/etc were great. When he patted her on the head, I got a Community Jeff/Annie flashback (minus the romantic subtext). I giggled when Leslie gave up and just basically gave Ron a belly rub/pat. Hee! I will also confess to turning into a warm puddle of mush when, right at the end, she hugged him so tightly and looked so damned happy (and said that she didn't care about Ron's grumbling about receiving a hug). It was just such a lovely Ron/Leslie moment. So glad they're back on track.

I was really surprised that Tom took back his offer to hand over the managerial duties to Craig just because Lucy said she DID want to date him. Shouldn't he be MORE motivated to protect himself from any potential lawsuits if the romance goes sour? Dating and/or having a relationship with someone when you're their boss? That's...not wise. That said, I did laugh that Craig, during his two minutes of power, took the cranberry salad off the menu and fired some people. Heh.

$500 a week seems really low for someone who does as much as Andy does on his tv show. He created the character, he writes it, directs it, makes the props etc. I mean, other than putting it on the air, does the show cost the network ANYTHING? I couldn't believe the offer was so low.

I knew that Andy was going to be the missing ninja's safety buddy. That entire exchange between him and the kids was fucking GOLD.

The last few episodes have reminded me WHY I am going to miss this show so much...

• Love 3
How can anyone not have the hugest grin watching Tom and Donna shop in Beverly Hills?

I didn't. I do not get them when they are on silly escapades that are only about making themselves feel special. Elbow bedazzling? That's when they seem the most shallow to me, and both characters are much more than that.

• Love 1

I have consistently been under the impression that the "brains" behind Grizzl are...not very effective. They are rich and so they attract smart developers/inventors etc., but the actual people who own/run the company? They have often come across to me as flighty, rich stoners.

It's 4:13. You got 7 minutes.

• Love 1

I didn't. I do not get them when they are on silly escapades that are only about making themselves feel special. Elbow bedazzling? That's when they seem the most shallow to me, and both characters are much more than that.

But elbow bedazzling had even reached Pawnee.  It's clearly just a current trend, but it seems shallow because we don't live then and think it is outrageous and ridiculous.

(I didn't really care for the BH storyline either- it just seemed TOO out there.  I liked Pawnee treat yo'self day better.)

One day a year they treat themselves.  All of us deserve one day a year.

It's a great tradition, especially if, along the way, you pick up your friends:  (i) Ben/Batman, enough said, (ii) Donna to Tom--go for it, enough said.

• Love 1