Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E17: The Bin Of Sin

While I applaud Hanna for realizing it would be dumb to put Mona's remains in her own car, I was like HANNA, if you rent a car that means you gave someone your name and credit card info which means there is a record of you doing it! Think, girl, THINK!

I immediately thought of this and I was surprised Caleb didn't bring it up. Now I'm wondering if highschool me would have thought of this and maybe it's realistic that they didn't.

Also..psych major here..the polygraph thing pisses me off. Alison would not need any help passing it. Those things are unreliable and test stress. She's a good liar so she would pass it without help.

Maybe I've watched way too many spy shows, but I thought it was common knowledge that's perfectly doable to pass a polygraph test without any help.

Ezria and Spoby potential break ups?? Dont get my hopes up like this, show!

Add Haleb to that and I can almost dare to dream that they're prepairing to shipping of all the love interests so they can do the time jump.

If we do have that time jump, I'd even accept older!Spencer interacting with older!Toby for the agnst and if they absolutely have to keep him around, as long they're long over and have no hopes of getting back together. Caleb remaing a pal to the girls and/or marrying Spencer would also be acceptable.

I'm already tired of Talia. I don't actively dislike her as I did with Maya but I am just tired of Talia. She's only been in four episodes but it already feels like she's been here forever. I also hate that it's been obvious since her introduction that she is Emily's next love interest. It doesn't help that I dislike her voice and that she acts so strangely. If I made a pie for my boss as a thank you, I certainly wouldn't leave it at the cash register.

Uhg this! She just might possibly be one of the most boring and predictable characters this show has ever introduced. The fact that she and Emily have no chemistry whatsoever doesn't help at all. I want her gone. I even prefer Paige over her.

Seems to me that with Aria about to graduate high school Ezra just ain't into dating a college student.

I'm thinking the same thing especially because Ian Harding didn't even try to look upset during that scene. But mostly I think Ezra is just trying to protect himself. The likelyhood of Aria meeting some new dude and deciding to dump Ezra's ass when she gets in college is huge. Not before growing to resent the hell out of him, of course, because drama. I mean we are talking about the girl who kissed his brother.

I think the only chance they might have is if they decide to do a open relationship for a while. I could see Aria managing to keep that up.

I now like Ashley and Jason as a couple. Sorry, Ted!

There's no way Ashley and Jason are over. I actually could see the show going ahead with Ashley marrying Ted and then she and Jason getting together again for a full blown afair.

I am not a Aria/Ezra fan and normally I’d agree that getting involved in a secret relationship with your teacher for most all of your high school years is a big mistake but I couldn’t also help thinking that none of these girls had a normal HS experience simply from the whole A fiasco alone.

and This:

How hilarious that a stupid admission letter would break them up but all his psychotic stalking and filming of her, not to mention the book, is now just water under the bridge. I really wonder sometimes what world Marlene King lives in.

I'm think/hope the letter thing might lead to something bigger that might tear them apart, if this is where the show wants to go. Ideally it should serve to make Aria take the blinders off in regards to Ezra. But I don't know what could have that power.

The yearbook scene was ridiculous and hilarious at the same time. They obviously were trying to show how utterly obsessed with her relationship Aria has been that she has become incapable of having a life outside of it but they didn't need to go through the trouble. Just keep showing her cutting the girls off from talking about A and getting framed for murder to talk about Ezra. That's all I need to see to get what a self-absorbed little twit she is.

I bet Ezra was jumping up and down with joy when Aria showed him that letter. Finally, a way out of the relationship with that aging college girl. I wonder if the writers have any idea that this is how it could be perceived. LOL I love this show for the unintentional comedy.

The irony is, Toby is now trying to be the one uncorrupt police officer in town and by doing so, screwing his girlfriend over just as much as all the corrupt ones. I'm telling you, this show is comedy gold.

What's even funnier is that early on, Aria (and Alison) were paralleled with the book Lolita.

In the book, the narrator ponders what he'll do when his 14 year old love interest gets too old for him.

You guys are killing me!

To wrap this up, I didn't like this episode anywhere near as much as liked the previous ones. The writting wasn't par to the story and it kind ruined the great pace the show had going. I'm more than ready for the girls to realize Alison isn't A.

Edited by cuddlingcrowley
  • Love 1

Toby's straight and narrow act in his role as police officer doesn't surprise me.  The guy knows how A operates.  If he does anything he's not supposed to as a cop chances are A will use it against him in a way that gets him into the maximum amount of trouble.  In a way, it's an exact mirror of his joining the A Team to protect Spencer - he had to fully make it seem like he was committed to that role for it to be effective even if it drove Spencer insane in the process.  

Speaking of Cop Toby - i loved how Tanner dropped the "six minutes ago" line and that actually got me thinking...

Yes it's incredibly ridiculous how quickly he was able to get his job - an example of the show's completely screwy timeline at its worst...but why not turn that plothole into an advantage?  We know Rosewood PD has had a healthy number of crooked cops what with Wilden, Garrett, and Holbrook.  Plus like Toby, Wilden and Garrett became cops at relatively young ages.  Instead of being a "just the way this show/town is" kinda ignored thing, this could actually be played as a legitimate mystery in regards to the show with an actual answer behind it all:  How and why exactly ARE all these shady characters not only getting hired by Rosewood PD but also getting fast-tracked in and rising through the ranks/gaining power so quickly?  

Edited by dwmckim
  • Love 1

I'm kinda hoping that Talia is A's next murder victim.  Sure, Emily's love interests getting killed is becoming a cliche, but I really dislike this character.  She's known Emily for all of 6 minutes (thanks for that quote, Tanner, I'll be using it a lot now), yet all her conversations with Emily have been way too personal.  It gives me a creepy "respects no boundaries" vibe, like we'll visit her apartment in a couple of episodes and find she's built a shrine complete with candles, surreptitiously taken pictures, newspaper clippings, and Emily's discarded hygiene products.

Aria / Ezra:  still don't care.  I wanted to punch her in the throat when they were discussing what Caleb and Spencer found in the storage locker, which might have included Mona's festering corpse stuffed in a barrel, and she immediately changed the subject to her stupid admissions letter.  Shut up Aria.

Otherwise blah episode.  It was completely lacking the snappy dialog and wit of the last few, as evidenced on the PLL Quotes thread.  No clever quips from Hanna or Spencer.  Dull dull dull.

• Love 3
While I applaud Hanna for realizing it would be dumb to put Mona's remains in her own car, I was like HANNA, if you rent a car that means you gave someone your name and credit card info which means there is a record of you doing it! Think, girl, THINK!

To be fair to her idea, the car renting and the industrial protection equipment she searched for would only matter once/if she is under investigation. Even in Rosewood, I doubt an alert is sent to the police when one of the Liars rents a car or buys stuff. As long as no connection is found between her and Mona's death, she could do anything. When a connection is found because she failed to prevent it, she thinks herself pretty much fucked by A(li) anyway.

Speaking of framing, no one wondered what A's game plan was. They discovered the laptop and went to the storage unit which was already set in place and in Hanna's name (yet the police didn't know about it), then the storage unit was cleared and they were led to the Icy Murder Trap, and A let them know that Hanna and Caleb were recorded (which the police doesn't know about). So A was always one step ahead of them, yet the actual framing hasn't happened yet. Plot reasons or actual A reasons?

Talis is ok on paper, but it's like the actress had no idea who the character was supposed to be, because she played every scene either as a cypher or as totally honest, no matter what subtext there was supposed to be. Also, her dialogue is horrible.

Edited by Crim
  • Love 1
Maybe I've watched way too many spy shows, but I thought it was common knowledge that's perfectly doable to pass a polygraph test without any help.

When I was in college I had a psychology professor tell our class how to pass a polygraph.  I have not had a chance to test this out, but it seemed pretty doable.  You just have to do something to get your heart rate up when you are telling the truth, and it changes your baseline so your lies won't look like lies.  The professor said pinching yourself would work, but you have to do it with your toes so they don't see you.

And if you're a sociopath and can tell lies without feeling any emotion you'd pass easily.  That's why they aren't admissible in court.

• Love 2
There's no way Ashley and Jason are over. I actually could see the show going ahead with Ashley marrying Ted and then she and Jason getting together again for a full blown afair.

I totally agree. They actually have a lot of chemistry together. I mean the whole thing kinda grosses me out (not necessarily the age difference) but that he is the brother of your daughter's ex best friend and your former (now murdered) boss. At least when Ella was with Zach he had no ties to the main cast until he became a creeper. 

I really wish that the girls would just go to Tanner and tell her everything starting with the day they found "Allison's" remains and got that first A text. I get why they hate the cops, but up until this point, Tanner has actually proven to be somewhat normal and I feel like it would make things more interesting if they had an actual ally on the force (and not Toby).

Although, in the books they did this and it totally backfired, but I think it could be an interesting route. 

Perhaps Tanner can start actually asking them the WHYs! Like why would someone be torturing you like this and so on. 

I know that Lucy Hale is in her 20s, but she has such a baby face. When Ezra was congratulating her on getting into Talmadge, it didn't seem like it was her boyfriend but like her older brother or something. I know in real life the actors are around the same age, but she just looks so young when she is with him.