Type keyword(s) to search

"I'll give you two guesses, one of them is wrong" The Trivia Thread!

Doesn't the Triangle one actually translate to 'The Truth is Somewhere Outside'?  That always cracked me up, heh.

Had to look this quote up to get the spelling right.  Damn you Scully and your big words.

Deceive, Inveigle, Obfuscate -- from Teliko

I'm probably about to embarrass myself, but here are my best guesses.

Believe the Lie (no idea, but it sounds like season 4-5)

All Lies Lead to the Truth (Gethsemane or Redux? )

Believe to Understand (It was Closure or the one leading to it, right?)

Nothing Important Happened Today (Nothing Important Happened Today)

The End (The End)

The Truth (The Truth)

God is Watching (or something like that... That Burt Reynolds episode)

Apology is Policy? (no idea, but I swear this is one)

Edited by Hidebehind
  • Love 1

I filled in a few things, so you've come up with 15 so far:

In the Big Inning - The Unnatural

Die Wahrheit ist irgenwo da draußen - Triangle

Trust No One - The Erlenmeyer Flask 

"The truth is out there" (or something close to that) in Navajo - Anasazi

Deceive, Inveigle, Obfuscate - Teliko

Believe the Lie - Gethsemane

All Lies Lead to the Truth - Redux

Believe to Understand - Closure

Nothing Important Happened Today - NIHT2

The End - The End

Dio ti ama ("God loves you" in Italian?) - Improbable

Apology is Policy - 731

Resist or Serve - The Red and the Black

Amor Fati - TSEII:AF

Deny Everything - Ascension

I didn't have this one on my list, so if it's accurate there are actually 20 episodes with different taglines:

The Truth - The Truth

Close - it's Everything Dies.  From Herrenvolk, in which the ABH tells Mulder everything dies, Marita tells him not everything dies, and my beloved X turns out to be one of the things that does. 

So, we're just missing three now.  One is in another language, one is a twist on the usual tagline, and one is ... I got nothing, other than it's from Trust No 1.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

Off the top of my head -

Irresistible (They see Elvis in three cities across America every day. But no one saw a pretty woman being run off the road in her rental car.)

Never Again (Mulder visits Graceland, but hmmm.....does he actually mention Elvis?  I don't know.)

That's the only 2 I can think of right off.  Darn!

Mulder's sad face when they find the newspaper announcing Elvis' death in Home.

Mulder saying only one man has ever successfully faked his own death - Elvis.  Not sure on that episode, though - definitely season one.  Oh - Shadows, probably.

In the midst of the crapfest that is Miracle Man, they're at a revival or some such spectacle, and Mulder makes a joke about it being the point in the show to bring out Elvis.

Adding onto Taryn74's list,

- In Home he sarcastically gasps about a newspaper announcing Elvis' death. Does that count?

--In some season 8 episode I think he mocks Doggett with some sort of Elvis related comment

edit: well, Bastet beat me to the Home reference lol

Edited by Hidebehind

Home does not count because it's just a Mulder face.  :)

So we're at 4 so far:  Irresistible, Never Again (yes he says "Did you know that Elvis bought all the furniture in just 30 minutes?"), Shadows, Miracle Man

Hidesbehind is on the right track with season 8...

And then there is still 1 other.

All I've got regarding the season two line is that it's in one of the boring Scully-lite episodes and has Mulder saying of someone something along the lines of, "He's probably one of those people who think Elvis is dead."

(I've got nothing on the season eight reference, since I've never seen whatever episode it's in.)

OK, I'll let Taryn or Bastet take the next one since they both got two correct. 

The other two were Blood and Empedocles.  The Empedocles one was Mulder telling Reyes and Doggett he saw Elvis in a potato chip once.  :)

Blood!  Okay, I knew it was one of those boring ones.  I'll give myself a 2.5 for knowing all but the episode name on that one ... even though that title was all that was required, heh.

Next up:

XF was shown all over the world, and in some countries it was given a title that translated to something other than "The X-Files".  Of those alternate titles, there are about 10 that are significantly different (the rest are just slightly changed, like The X Cases, The Secret X-Files, The X-Files plus a subtitle, etc.)  You don’t have to identify the country, and you only have to give the English translation, but name any three of those.

Edited by Bastet

I know I've seen lists of XF titles from other countries, but I certainly don't remember any. Well that's not true. I remember that it's Akte X in Germany, but I'm pretty sure that's just a direct translation.

ETA: I was wondering where I'd seen a list like this so I just checked the XF In-Joke List site and it has it. So that's where I've seen it and that also means I could answer this easily now, but only by cheating.

Edited by smrou

Okay, then.

The title that has always cracked me up most is from Thailand:  The Secret Folders of Mysterious Cases.  I'm also partial to Israel's "Files in the Dark."

Here are some others:

-The Secret Folders (Finland)
-At the Borders of Reality/Almost Unreal (France and southern Belgium)
-Strictly Confidential (Denmark)
-Secret Files (Estonia, Portugal, Turkey)
-Mysteries (Iceland)
-Secret Material (Russia)
-Absolutely Secret/Top Secret (Ukraine)

LOL! "Strictly Confidential" cracked me up the most. So cheesy. Stupid Danes. But Thailand wins.

In Sweden we call it Arkiv X, which translates to, you guessed it, Archive X. Not funny, but there ya go.

Edited by joelene

Well, I know the episode took place in a town called Comity, so I'm going to say it was Comity High School. Their mascot was a goat (or horny beast if you prefer, hah) and the colors were green and gold. But I have no idea what the in-joke is, unless it's that comity means harmony and Syzygy is basically the opposite of that. Of course, if the high school isn't named after the town, I've got nothing. 

Edited by janestclair

No, the school wasn't named after the town. 

A hint:  The in-joke is making fun of a mistake someone (a real-life someone associated with the show) made.

Edited by Bastet

Okay, this is one that I knew right off the bat but didn't answer because it would mean I'd have to come up with the next question (I'm suuuuuper lazy!), but I've decided that's a burden I can handle. So.

It's Grover Cleveland Alexander High, which is mocking David Duchovny for his incorrect response on Celebrity Jeopardy!.

• Love 1

Okay, new question. Most of the background music on the series is original by Mark Snow and there's also sometimes some classical music by various composers. However, occasionally the soundtrack includes pop music*, sometimes used very memorably though not always. Name...let's go with fifteen songs the show has used and the episode in which the song played. Note: if it's a song that's merely sung/quoted by a character (for example, Mulder singing "Shaft" or Scully singing "Joy the the World") that doesn't count.

*I'm not sure if "pop music" is quite what I'm looking for here, but it's the best term I could think of. I intend it very generically. 

Edited by smrou

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas - from HTGSC

Twilight Time - from Kill Switch

some song I don't know the name of, the lyrics were meaningful to Scully - from Orison

that song by Moby that I also don't know the name of - from all things

I had another one on the tip of my tongue and now it's gone....

• Love 1

My hands-down favorite use of music in the series is Red Right Hand in Ascension.

But the use of Wonderful, Wonderful in Home is pretty damn masterful, too.

I'm also partial to Beyond the Sea in, well, Beyond the Sea.

There may be a few songs in D.P.O., but the one I remember (because I love it) is Hey Man, Nice Shot.

Same with Syzygy - I'm almost positive this is an episode that used a few songs, but I can only remember All Over You.

One of the only things PMP has going for it is lots of Cher, including, most memorably, her version of Walking in Memphis.  We also hear Half Breed and Gypsies, Tramps, and Thieves.

The Rain King also has more music than usual, thanks to the reunion.  I can remember Rock the Boat and Rainy Days and Mondays.

I'm Only Happy When it Rains is in Terms of Endearment (pretty much the only thing I remember about that episode).

Frenzy is in Humbug.

Chinga gives us The Hokey Pokey.  (Man, this show is great at music to be murdered by.)

I assume Bad Boys is in X-Cops.

Partial answers:

There's a Partridge Family song in Never Again, but I don't know the name of it (was never a fan).

Unmarked Helicopters is used in something.

Hands of Death appears at least once.

The Moby song in all things Taryn brought up is, IIRC, The Sky is Broken.

Man, this show is great at music to be murdered by.

Right?!  

One of the only things PMP has going for it is lots of Cher, including, most memorably, her version of Walking in Memphis.  We also hear Half Breed and Gypsies, Tramps, and Thieves.

The Rain King also has more music than usual, thanks to the reunion.  I can remember Rock the Boat and Rainy Days and Mondays.

I originally only asked for ten songs, then upped it to fifteen because I knew it would be so easy to get 5-6 songs just from those two episodes alone. I considered changing the question to listing episodes that used pop music (and naming at least one song). 

There's a Partridge Family song in Never Again, but I don't know the name of it (was never a fan).

That would be "Doesn't Somebody Want to Be Wanted". 

The Moby song in all things Taryn brought up is, IIRC, The Sky is Broken.

Yep. And "My Weakness" was used earlier in the same season in Closure.

Well, there are definitely fifteen named already. My favorites have all been mentioned. It was thinking of "Wonderful Wonderful" and "Doesn't Somebody Want to be Wanted" (mentioned in a recent Extra Hot Great in which "Never Again" was the canon submission) that prompted the question, but my other favorite uses of pop music on the show are "Red Right Hand", "Twilight Time", and "I'm Only Happy When It Rains". 

So that win goes to Bastet. Nicely done.

Edited by smrou