Type keyword(s) to search

Survivorman - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I just caught this the other day... No, it's not a spinoff where Les Stroud sells used survival gear in a junk shop with his son. It's actually yet another installment of Survivorman, with Les out in the middle 'o nowhere with his 16 year old son Logan. 

Now let me get this out in the open; I have a severe man-crush on Les. There's several fabricated psuedo-reality shows out there that purport to show survival, although you can't help but wonder how big the camera crews are... Les is the real deal. He goes it alone, and he often gives us a glimpse of his struggles to document his experience.  He also doesn't shy away from his failures and less than perfect moments. It's that sense of authenticity that makes him so credible.. and incredible.

I really enjoyed seeing Les 'surviving' with his son. I would have assumed that Survivorman's son would be an agile survival machine, a chip off the ol' block.. and I would have been wrong. He's obviously a smart, capable young man, but he also shows the foibles of youth, and I genuinely enjoyed seeing Les trying to guide, mentor and motivate his boy. Les was pretty open about the challenges of plotting survival for two. He’s mentioned before that much of survival is a mental game, and keeping that focus and drive is critical to success. It’s interesting to hear his personal commentary on his frustration with trying to motivate his boy, keep him eating (disgusting survival fare…) and keep him busy.  Somehow seeing Les and his boy makes me feel better about my own shaky parenting.

Hoping the topic name works.  I've used the official name and Season/Episode numbers from the show's website, but added the AKA because I know some of the TV listing websites use the alternate name.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that the footage of that creature blinking at Todd was the creepiest thing I've seen in a long time.

Glad they changed the ad, though. Originally, he comes across his son, and there is this weird look exchanged between the two, and then son is apparently running for his life from dear ole Dad, completely with shaky cam. I was like, the fuck? Now the look (I think they might have edited the look, too?) is followed by both of them standing on a cliff looking out over a gorgeous wooded area. Much less filicidal.

Well, my DVR caught this on Disco last night.  I was more than pleased to watch an episode set in Klemtu, British Columbia.  If nothing else, I got my fix of beautiful BC scenery.  :-)

I am not a Sasquatch nutjob, but I do keep an open mind to the remote possibility of their existence.  Growing up in B.C. there were stories from people who had no reason to fabricate (I've even heard something that scared me, once), and the vast wilderness certainly could support an elusive creature.  At least Les tries to take a skeptical semi-scientific approach to the matter, and acknowledges the possibility of hoaxers.  Those footprints could have been an elaborate trick, but wouldn't it be cool if they weren't?  :-)

• Love 2

I trust what Les says and does with regard to this subject way more than those yoyos on Finding Bigfoot. He's not a nut job. He's lived in the woods and has enough experience to know what he's hearing and seeing and not jump to conclusions. The footprints he found tonight were very interesting.

• Love 2

Regarding the hunt for Bigfoot, Stroud is perilously close to jumping the shark here. He's bending over backwards to give credibility to a hoax, all the while attempting to appear objective. He's trying to discuss mythology and then give air time to individuals who believe the mythology is reality.

Whatever works for ratings, as Bigfoot believers watch the same as anyone else. However it's painful to see anyone with a shred of authenticity shill for hoaxers, even those hoaxers who "truly" believe.

• Love 1

"True believers" and hoaxers are not necessarily the same animals.  Yes, Les has lost a modicum of credibility, but then, so has Jane Goodall, and many who are otherwise sane and skeptical.  He has not claimed to find evidence of bigfoot's existence - yet.  I'm willing to give him some room to explore.

• Love 2

New here, so sorry for opening this thread again after uh... close to 5 years... 

What I love so much about everything that Les does, is that his focus is on survival, and recording it. Not the sensationalism. 

I LOVE the outdoors, and watching shows like Les's shows bring me huge amounts of pleasure... I'm currently watching mountain men, and frankly, I can see the sensationalism... "Oh, if I screw up now, I'm dead" /queiue ominous music! "Phew, I made it"... When it's something they've done a thousand times... I get there are elements added for the amusement of someone who doesn't know better, but it's great to see these men doing what they've always done to live, even though you know they're getting TONS of money from the History channel.... You see them saying things like "If I don't skin this beaver, my whole season is a waste", but you know they're fine... I still enjoy watching the masters at their craft. 

My favorite part about "Survivorman and Son" is that he shows you the REAL challenges of surviving with someone who never has before, whom he's responsible for, whom he has to provide for / protect, and someone who is maybe not as appreciative of the severity of their situation... REAL. And that he's never compromised on that aspect. 

• Love 1
On 10/24/2018 at 2:46 PM, griznuq said:

What I love so much about everything that Les does, is that his focus is on survival, and recording it. Not the sensationalism. 

I agree, and that’s why Les is my favorite over all the others. I’ve watched Bear Grylls, and Dual Survival, and while I like them on some level, Bear Grylls is all about sensationalism (even though I do believe that he’s the real deal) as is Dual Survival. And most of the crew members featured in Dual Survival can’t be taken seriously, particularly Cody, though I do like Dave Canterbury and frequent his youtube channel from time to time.

My favorites were when Les survived in the Sierra Nevada, and the winter plane crash episode in Ontario. Les has mentioned that though he carries a satellite phone with him while out on his excursions, his tests while out in the field have shown no connectivity in about 50% of the cases, so he’s truly on his own in many of these scenarios.

• Love 2