Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Meet You Down at the Station

Lisin

Here's your place for small talk and introductions!

If you (collectively) would like to change the name of the Small Talk thread jokey bit just figure it out amongst yourselves and then email david@previously.tv and he'll change it.

Well, this is pretty quiet so far, so I'll introduce myself in the hopes people will eventually wander over. I'm cleo, living in Toronto, office worker, leading a quiet life with 2 cats, and hoping I don't turn into a crazy old cat lady someday. 

I skipped the first part of Elementary, then got caught up in it about half through season 1. I enjoyed it a lot, especially the relationships, moreso than the case of the week. I've been somewhat disappointed in Season 2, especially lately.

I'm really a big lurker, but I read the thread at twop alot and thanks to everyone for posting their insights, comments, and enjoyment of the show. It's a pleasure to read, and to watch the show.

I was "Thena" over on TWOP. I was on the old thread since the beginning and had low expectations of the show given that it was a procedural. I am glad it is so much more and is now one of my favourite US network shows. I had some of the best times posting in that old thread and I hope to continue it here.

I lurked on TWOP for years, but never really posted. Mostly came for the recaps.

I am surprised I like this show as much as I do. I'm a huge BBC Sherlock fan and I only checked out this show to see how it compared. I wasn't too impressed with the first few episodes, but after they dropped that whole "sober companion" bit and Watson became an investigator in her own right, the show (and characters) got quite good and interesting.

• Love 1

I am Mary Hedwig from the TWoF boards.  I am a psychologist studying to become a ficiton writer.  In general do not like procedurals but I love this one because of the relationship between Sherlock and "his aquaintances".  I also like how he is trying to manage his demons and fulfill (his preceived) destiny.  Also, I just love to watch JLM's facial expressions.  Not quite sure why everyone wants to murder their trusted partner in order to stick it to their ex-wife but I am  trying to catch up on that (and learn to suspend disbelief).  I am looking forward to posting here for the upcoming episode and discovering what your thoughts and insights are.

My favorite episode is Loaded Gun, Filled with Drugs from the first season.  I love how Sherlock overcomes temptation here.  My favortie scene is when he throw Rhys onto the chair.  I would be embarrassed to tell you how many times I have watched it.

Another former TWoP lurker, Elementary has become one of our favorites weekly shows. I have been a avid fan of Holmes since I read the stories year ago and I am enjoying the way they weave the original stories into a modern world.

I was TaraS1 over at TWoP, as well.  I love the show, but have to admit to some major disappointment with the writing for S2, particularly for Watson.  Really hoping it improves as we finish out this season and move towards S3.  Joan is my favorite character and I'm a huge Lucy Liu fan. :-)

Hi, I'm mjforty. Was mjforty at TWoP and am mjforty here. I've been a lover of all things Sherlock Holmes since my teens. I've seen pretty all of the different incarnations of the character. I'm a tad bit obsessed. I really like "Elementary." I especially like the Joan Watson character and I agree with TaraS1 that her character has been getting a bit of a short shrift this season but I still find the show enjoyable. Looking forward to discussing it with all of you.

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:
  1. Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  2. Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  3. If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):

• Character topics
  • Episode topics
  • Season topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favourite X topics
  • ...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

I'm Monty. I recapped this show for Television Without Pity, and now I watch it for fun. Which is much more relaxing, although I still find myself wanting to pause it a lot. It's a show that I didn't have high hopes for, but I've really enjoyed what they've done with it.

My general theory of the show is that its Sherlock was the same as the other interpretations, but he didn't have a Watson, so he hit bottom. And now he's got the Watson he needs to rebuild himself into a more complete human being than Sherlock Holmes usually gets to be. So my favorite scenes tend to be the ones where Sherlock manages to express empathy for other people.

(Although for the record, I don't think the Arthur Conan Doyle Sherlock was nearly as antiocial as any of the modern interpretations of him. He was just a jerk, not a high-functioning sociopath)

• Love 3

Since this  topic isn't supposed to be about the show, I want to say hi to Monty and just let you know how much I enjoyed those recaps. It's nice to see you here still watching and commenting.

And I agree, I never found canon Holmes to be the colossal dick that he's been portrayed in modern incarnations. I can't see how the character would have been as popular if he was an antisocial high functioning sociopath. But comparisons of the various Holmes can probably go in the Sherlock Holmes thread? Or should there be a canon thread?

I'm joining frenchtoast in complimenting your recaps, Monty.  I have to say that I often enjoyed them more than the show itself.

I too am puzzled as to why Sherlock Holmes is now viewed as a douchebag.  As written, he was omniscient and self-absorbed, which can certainly be irritating in real life but which was amusingly quirky in the books -- to me, at least.  I loved the guy as Doyle wrote him.  Jonny Lee Miller has the irritating part down, but not the amusing part.  I find his version of Sherlock to be heavy-handed and unlikeable.  He always comes across like there's someplace else he'd rather be.  The only portrayal that was worse, in my opinion, was whatever the hell it was they had Robert Downey Jr doing in those awful movies. 

Also, the original Sherlock Holmes was on coke a lot so I'm thinking he was definitely more fun than the modern incarnations.  That is one of the things I like about Elementary, the fact that they put a modern twist on Holmes' cocaine addiction, making him an addict.

Jonny Lee Miller has the irritating part down, but not the amusing part.  I find his version of Sherlock to be heavy-handed and unlikeable.  He always comes across like there's someplace else he'd rather be.

Different strokes I guess. I find JLM's portrayal to be very heartfelt in a way. He just seems like a man that has always felt out of step with everyone else so he's never really comfortable around them. Because of that it makes his relationships with those he is comfortable with, Joan, Gregson and Bell, so much richer to me. I also find a humility in has portrayal, like Sherlock is still living with the shame of becoming an addict, that feels very true to me.

• Love 2
(edited)

I am in mourning.  Television without Pity is gone.  Are any of you refugees from there?  Let's do a roll call:

Previously TV Name and TwoP name

Why you love to talk about Elementary

Favorite minor character

Watching Mycroft and Watson in bed was like...

I think Sherlock took the heroin because...

Previously TV Name and TwoP name: Maryhedwig on both sites. 

Why you love to talk about Elementary: Can't explain it well but I think this show is healing me, increasing my social skills, and helping me to manage my own addiction.

Favorite minor character: Gay-- she was a fully-realized character with very few lines.

Watching Mycroft and Watson in bed was like... walking in on your parents.

I think Sherlock took the heroin because... he is planning to use it to help free Mycroft -- he does not plan to take it himself.

Edited by MaryHedwig

Hi!

Previously TV Name and TwoP name: frenchtoast, on both sites.

Why you love to talk about Elementary: I love JLM's performance and I appreciate that Sherlock isn't such a huge whiny child. I prefer Sherlock to be a champion of justice and helping those that need it.

Favorite minor character: Does Alfredo count? Because I love him. Also, the internet group Everyone.

Watching Mycroft and Watson in bed was like... I don't know. It was surely not what I was wanting to see.

I think Sherlock took the heroin because... he is keeping in case he needs it to help him in his work. Like his drug dealer friend said, to clarify his thinking. I also think it's a bit of an escape plan--if the pain is too much, he can escape with heroin.

My Thursday nights are so quiet now. In fact, all my weeknights are quiet now because of all the finales. I'm looking forward to some scheduled rewatches. I'm hoping to hook my 11 year old son on Chuck but he is adamant that he doesn't want to see it, which I can't understand. It's just starting to warm up here after a really chilly May and I'm one of those really odd people that like it cold. Summer is not my favorite season.

(edited)

I love Alfredo too as well as Randy, Ms. Hudson, Pam, Bell's brother, and of course Clyde.  I even like that guy with the gray hair that leads the 12-step meetings.   The minor characters are a great strength of the show.

I don't have any must see TV this summer except for Longmire and maybe (guilty pleasure) Next Food Network Star.

We must live in different parts of the country because it is already over 100 here.  Not complaining, it drops at least 50 degrees at night and our houses are built to handle it (tile floors and lots of ceiling fans -- believe it or not, no air conditioning.)  Of course, we drink lots of water.  I always have a frozen bottle of water nearby to press onto the back of my neck.  Summer might be my favorite time of year -- the air is so clear and the sunrises and sunsets are gorgeous. 

I plan to re-watch Seasons 1 and 2 in their entirety before the fall.  I also love to watch JLM act.  I am getting addicted to his finger dance.

Edited by MaryHedwig

Previously TV Name and TwoP name: Athena and Thena

Why you love to talk about Elementary: The character development, acting, NYC, the small cast and feel, the canon spirit

Favorite minor character: All of them really.

Watching Mycroft and Watson in bed was like...a bit awkward but I didn't have a big problem with the ship. I knew it wouldn't end well, but Watson had great lingerie.

I think Sherlock took the heroin because... he plans to use it as a fail safe to get fired from the Spooks. I have no idea why.

Hi, All.

I have the same name here as at TWoP.

I think the side characters are so frequently awesome that I can't choose a favorite. but I love all the ones who have already been cited.

I like to talk about this show because the conversation always enhances my enjoyment and observations of it, and it's like I'm watching it with a bunch of interesting people instead of my myself. What is that saying? Pain shared is halved, joy shared is doubled? Talking about the show doubles the joy (and the insights).

I was disappointed that the show hooked up Watson and Mycroft, so I was annoyed by the scene of them in bed.

RE the heroin, I often predict things in the TV shows I watch-- sometimes it feels like a mental exercise like solving a puzzle, and other times it's just too damn obvious. But I enjoy being surprised, so when the heroin thing happened I thought about a few different possibilities but decided not to commit to any of them. This show has a puzzle element to it, but I find it's much more rewarding as a character show than a puzzle show, even though it presents itself as a puzzle type procedural.

I'm glad the show is finally back next week.

Thursday nights at 10 are very crowded this season. I am trying to figure out what to watch online and what to watch on broadcast, as I can only manage two shows at a time with my TV/DVR. Does anyone have experience with the CBS website videos? I know some of the tv network websites are notoriously buggy, and I'm not even sure if Elementary is made available in a timely way without a paywall there, either.

TWoP's basil31= basil

I love the show because it's set and shot in NYC. I love all things NYC and Sherlockian. I love Brooklyn. I love the cast. I love the dialouge (though the cases are shite). I appreciate the show's approach to sexuality in general and LGBT sensibilities in particular.

I like to talk about it to see if someone saw something I missed, or visa-versa.

I wasn't sure where to post this, but I thought it might interest some fans of the show.

Every month, the University of Chicago has a free downloadable e-book available, and this month it's Arthur Conan Doyle’s Dangerous Work: Diary of an Arctic Adventure

In 1880 Arthur Conan Doyle, then a young medical student, embarked upon the “first real outstanding adventure” of his life, taking a berth as ship’s surgeon on an Arctic whaler. The voyage took him to unknown regions, showered him with dramatic experiences, and plunged him into dangerous work on the ice floes of the Arctic. It was, as he wrote later, “a strange and fascinating chapter of my life.”
The journal he kept aboard the whaler was unpublished for more than a century. Our free e-book for December, Dangerous Work: Diary of an Arctic Adventure, is the transcript of his diary, plus two nonfiction pieces by Doyle about his experiences and two of his tales inspired by the journey.

“Even if this diary of the nineteenth-century whaling ship Hope’s Arctic exploits didn’t come from Sherlock Holmes’s creator, it would still make fascinating reading, especially for Patrick O’Brian fans.… Though Doyle, a medical student serving aboard as ship’s doctor, was just twenty at the time, his gifts for writing and observation are already much in evidence”—Publishers Weekly

You can get a copy here: http://www.press.uchicago.edu/books/freeEbook.html

If you sign up for their mailing list, they will also send you notices each month, informing you of whatever that month's title is. They vary quite a lot, in subject, from month to month.

Edited by possibilities

Continuing the discussion of polyamory from the All My Exes thread:

When more than three people get involved, you usually have something like a couple who has invited a third person into their relationship. They may or may not live together, and the third person is likely to have another partner outside of the threesome, who is otherwise unconnected to it (though, if everyone is honest, as they should be, is aware of it).

Bolded part -- absolutely!  One of the things I take very seriously is informed consent, and if someone isn't bin g honest, the other party can't truly be "informed".  It sounds like you're much more informed about the poly community than I am.  I looked into it briefly, and went to a couple of meet-ups in LA "back in the day" but never got all that into it.

It sounds like you're much more informed about the poly community than I am.

I don't like to think in terms of communities (is there a straight, monogamous community?). I didn't want too get too tmi in the "Exes" thread (nor here), but yes, I am a bi male married to a bi male 17 years, 4 of them legally. He has a female partner of 6 years, I have two male partners of 11 and 5 years. His relationships are his, and mine are mine. They don't live with us (we even maintain our own separate spaces). I don't fuck his partners, and he doesn't fuck mine. We all know of one another and often go out or attend functions together, though. 

I have lived in "throuples" (always me and two women for some reason), but found them difficult to maintain. Balance is hard to find, which was why I found the six some so ludicrous. Some one is always going to feel left out.

I was disappointed in the way the show depicted polyamory, as it had done so well with other atypical lifestyles (Gay, Alastair and his long-term partner, Miss Hudson, sex workers and BDSM). I really felt they dropped the ball on this one - but I give them credit for trying and mostly treating the subjects with respect and not using them for shock value, but rather just another just another way of living. For me, one person just isn't enough - and it isn't even really about sex.

I'm currently single, but I was in a number of relationships that we called "non-monogamous" (1970s/1980s terminology-- does anyone here know the song "monogamy/shbedogamy" by a 1970s feminist group-- it was either Be Be K'Roche or Baba Yaga-- I forget which of them recorded it?) and would do it again if the right partners came along. I find that in my years of experience with this, and with observing others, there is a lot of variation in why people do it, and how they do it, and the details generally. Although the way Elementary presented the issue did not mirror my own experiences, I didn't find it lacking credibility because I've seen a lot of different situations in real life. I do think the show likes to be a little extreme sometimes, but then the whole show is based on a premise of an outlier individual in Sherlock, so and outlier 6-person relationship was okay with me, because they were basically respectful about it, and didn't represent it as necessarily typical of poly arrangements, and certainly not as the only poly possibility.

• Love 1
[The] outlier 6-person relationship was okay with me, because they were basically respectful about it, and didn't represent it as necessarily typical of poly arrangements, and certainly not as the only poly possibility.

We'll agree to disagree. I found the back-biting, jealousy and concept of communal pooling of funds in the 6 person relationship to be borderline cult-y, not remotely representative of any relationship I have ever had or have known, and did not represent them with respect. They were all caricatures. YMMV. Boundaries are critical in such relationships, and that Abby's money was even for a moment considered as everyone else's is right out of bounds, as was the one woman being delegated (denigrated?) to "nanny" totally unacceptable. She was clearly not happy in being designated to that term. Besides, after Abby and her child left, who was there to nanny (unless there were other children we didn't know about?).

Didn't see a scheduling thread. For those of us in NYC, there is a preseason football game airing from 7:30 to 10:30 pm (which of course can run later than that). At least on my cable system, Elementary is listed as running from 10:30 - 11:00 pm. I have no idea if that is correct, and, if it is, does that mean the show would pick up halfway through? Or will it run from 10:30 - 11:30? Looks like I'll be watching this On Demand. 

I don't know the answer to your question. Just want to offer the info that Amazon Prime offers the episodes for a couple of dollars beginning a day or so after release. So if anyone misses it because of football, it can be purchased (and is commercial free!).

• Useful 1
13 minutes ago, Loandbehold said:

Didn't see a scheduling thread. For those of us in NYC, there is a preseason football game airing from 7:30 to 10:30 pm (which of course can run later than that). At least on my cable system, Elementary is listed as running from 10:30 - 11:00 pm. I have no idea if that is correct, and, if it is, does that mean the show would pick up halfway through? Or will it run from 10:30 - 11:30? Looks like I'll be watching this On Demand. 

It's been brought up on the episode thread... someone said they saw that it would be airing on WPIX (ch. 11) in the NYC area. Hoping that's true!

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, marina707 said:

Your wording made me think you quit watching the show

a show where the two main male characters are in a relationship is also rare (or non-xistent, I can't think of one although maybe there's one I don't know of), and I totally get people wanting more LGBT representation, but I guess we'll never know!

I did indeed stop watching The Good Place after Season 1 (I think I watched a few episodes after).  I didn't hate it, like I did P&R (Amy Poehler will never be funny) and the "horrible boss/co-worker" was done much better by Dabney Coleman in Bufflao Bob (look at the cast list -- impressive, no?) and 9 To 5.

1 minute ago, jhlipton said:

I did indeed stop watching The Good Place after Season 1 (I think I watched a few episodes after).  I didn't hate it, like I did P&R (Amy Poehler will never be funny) and the "horrible boss/co-worker" was done much better by Dabney Coleman in Bufflao Bob (look at the cast list -- impressive, no?) and 9 To 5. 

Ah, okay. That is something that becomes part of the plot later on, how weird/messed up the criteria are to get into the Good/Bad Place and it leads to some interesting stuff (in my opinion). I know plenty of people who dislike the show, though, so it's obviously not for everyone! (Well, there's nothing that's for everyone, I suppose!)

I've heard good things about both P&R, and The Office, but have never watched either. There are far too many shows these days to keep up with it all!

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, marina707 said:

That is something that becomes part of the plot later on, how weird/messed up the criteria are to get into the Good/Bad Place and it leads to some interesting stuff (in my opinion).

That kind of moral ambiguity needs to be established sooner rather than later, otherwise it becomes a "twist" for the twist's sake.  "You thought they were in The Good Place (you believed our title, you fool!!! Ha ha, they're in The Bad Place!"  "You thought there were reasonable rules as to who went were?  Ha ha, you fool!  There are none!!!!"  Blech.

9 minutes ago, marina707 said:

I've heard good things about both P&R, and The Office

The quality of writing on The Office dropped like a boulder once Steve Carell left.  In particular, the character of Andy was completely changed, and the Shrute family were made recurring characters, instead of the very occasional visitors they should have been.  If you ever do decide to watch, stop before the last season.

21 hours ago, jhlipton said:

That kind of moral ambiguity needs to be established sooner rather than later, otherwise it becomes a "twist" for the twist's sake.  "You thought they were in The Good Place (you believed our title, you fool!!! Ha ha, they're in The Bad Place!"  "You thought there were reasonable rules as to who went were?  Ha ha, you fool!  There are none!!!!"  Blech. 

The quality of writing on The Office dropped like a boulder once Steve Carell left.  In particular, the character of Andy was completely changed, and the Shrute family were made recurring characters, instead of the very occasional visitors they should have been.  If you ever do decide to watch, stop before the last season.

For whatever reason it doesn't bother me, but I definitely get your point.

I have a friend who said the same thing about the last season. I will keep it in mind!