Type keyword(s) to search

Better Call Saul In The Media

• Start Topic

18 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

Spoiler Alerts, but little to nothing that a serious fan doesn't already know...

When Season 6 was announced as the final season (with 13 episodes) back around the time of the Winter 2020 TCA Press Tour (complete with the announcements of Dean Norris, Steven Michael Quezada and Robert Forster returning for Season 5 as well), that's when the cast and crew were likely planning on it premiering in the first half of 2021. 

After the TCAs were over, the Better Call Saul filming start date that I eventually saw on a production info site was March 30th.

Things have changed, to say the least!  All productions of TV and movies have been shut down around the world.  Even some projects that were already filmed have had their post-production work halted, and so their premieres have been postponed.  But Better Call Saul didn't even get that far.  They haven't even filmed a portion of one episode of Season 6.

Patrick Fabian just appeared on the Better Call Saul After Show on AfterBuzz TV's YouTube channel last night, and he has no clue when they will be able to start filming, let alone when Season 6 would air.   He pointed out that the good thing is that at least everyone knows for sure that Season 6 IS happening, so there is no uncertainty in that regard.   But everything else is uncertain.  I think he might have referenced July as a possible time when some parts of the industry could start up again.  (I had heard July tossed around by two totally different people in the industry who have nothing to do with BCS also, so I wonder if everyone who was about to start production on something was told that July is what they are aiming for as far as when to get back to work.) 

Patrick also said that he was in the middle of working on a Netflix series when everything was shut down, so he also has to resume that production too, as well as start on Better Call Saul.

I suspect that IF BCS were to start production no later than July, they might possibly be able to get the show on the air by April 2021, though that seems like it would be cutting it close, considering it's a longer season to film and they have post-production to handle, and maybe even a holiday break (around Thanksgiving).  But if they can't start production until late summer or early fall, then I don't think we'd see Season 6 until at least August of 2021, if not later.  And if they cannot get the production started this year at all, then I don't even want to think about how long it will take for Season 6 to finally air!  lol

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, TVFan17 said:

And if they cannot get the production started this year at all, then I don't even want to think about how long it will take for Season 6 to finally air!  lol

giphy.gif

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
On 4/22/2020 at 2:49 AM, TVFan17 said:

All productions of TV and movies have been shut down around the world

And yet I’ve seen a seemingly endless stream of Covid-19-acknowledging commercials lately, including some clearly shot post-quarantine, like one with a child drawing a chalk rainbow that cuts away to a masked delivery person with a package pausing to read the also-chalked thank you with the rainbow before stepping over it to leave the package. Although the two actors don’t interact physically on screen, it shows some filming is going on outside of basements. I realize this wouldn’t work for a show like BCS, but maybe they would want to work on scenery or a few solo scenes?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

And yet I’ve seen a seemingly endless stream of Covid-19-acknowledging commercials lately, including some clearly shot post-quarantine, like one with a child drawing a chalk rainbow that cuts away to a masked delivery person with a package pausing to read the also-chalked thank you with the rainbow before stepping over it to leave the package. Although the two actors don’t interact physically on screen, it shows some filming is going on outside of basements. I realize this wouldn’t work for a show like BCS, but maybe they would want to work on scenery or a few solo scenes?

I've seen all of those commercials and wondered about them too!  They started running pretty soon after we were all told to stay home and that non-essential businesses had to close, so whoever made those ads acted very quickly.  The voiceover work is easy to do remotely, and cobbling together a few generic scenes that don't immediately convey a specific COVID-19 situation would be easy to do as well.  But anything beyond that I'm not sure about.

Production on TV series, TV movies and theatrical releases is definitely not happening at the moment, unless everyone who is saying that they don't know when they will be able to work is lying.  If anyone is working on something on sets away from their homes, they are not admitting it!  lol

I think that people are doing as many pre-production and post-production tasks at home as they can possibly get away with, but eventually they will have to venture out and work with other people on actual sets, and those sets will have lots of crews walking around.  Some movies or series will probably feature scenes with actors kissing.  No one is sure how any of that is going to work yet, as far as the logistics of it all.  They don't know if everyone will have to be tested and cleared before shooting.  They don't know if they will have to have their temperatures taken daily.  They don't know if the large crews on the set will have to clear out to let the next crews come in, so that there are not too many people gathered together at once.  It's all a mystery

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 1

UPDATE on Season 6's production!!!  That late March date that I had originally seen on a production date website I frequently check (which is usually accurate) might have already been changed even before COVID-19 stopped everything in its tracks.

I was just watching this interview with Peter Gould on YouTube (it was a live stream, so the video may suddenly disappear, as some live streams do), and at the very end of it he said that they are planning to shoot in the fall, and he is hoping that they "get to proceed as planned."  He is not sure if they will be delayed.

Fall might be realistic right now, as that's still several months away and it will allow time for all networks, production companies and studios to figure out how these shoots are going to go and what the new protocols or rules might be on the sets with many people working closely.  They have to figure out the new guidelines for their casts and crews to follow.

Let's hope BCS can film in the fall!  If they do, I think we will see the final season in 2021, even if it's not in the first half of the year.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

YouTube suggested the follow video of Bob Odenkirk's stand up. It's six minutes long and from 1997. Nothing about this show is mentioned, of course, but there isn't anywhere better to post it and I thought some of you may enjoy it, too.

In this new and very interesting online panel discussion with the Better Call Saul cast (minus Jonathan Banks, who was mysteriously absent). Giancarlo Esposito indicates that September might be when they go back to work to film the final season.  Let's cross our fingers and hope against hope that COVID-19 doesn't somehow interfere with that plan and shut everything down again.  

Here is a separate interview (from the same day) with Tony Dalton and Michael Mando...

And here is a separate Giancarlo Esposito interview...

An interview with Rhea Seehorn...

Last, but not least, an interview with Bob Odenkirk...

• Love 3

Rhea and Bob were robbed. 

I don't know what she needs to do. 

I think it's that her acting is so effortless, that it isn't noticed as much as something like the women on Big Little Lies, or a drama where everything is so exaggerated. 

Kim just seems like a person we're watching live out her life.   She knows the BCS fans adore her and she loves her job so hopefully that's some solace. 

• Love 7
(edited)

Giancarlo has not yet won a single Emmy for playing Gus, has he?  I think he was nominated during Breaking Bad but didn't win.  He was also just nominated for his work on one of my other favorite series, The Mandalorian.  So although he deserves something for all of these years of playing Gus Fring, I'm happy that he was nominated for his work as Moff Gideon too.  Between those two nominations, hopefully he will win something.

I'm really surprised that Bob and Rhea weren't nominated.   Even if they didn't win, I still would have expected nominations.

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 2

Sigh... I guess I should be happy that it is at least still getting nominations, but Bob Odenkirk missing out this year AND Rhea Seehorn getting denied, again?  I just don't understand the Emmy voters.  I wonder if a good portion simply doesn't watch the show or if they don't care for it for whatever reasons.

Congrats at least to Giancarlo Esposito, even though I felt like Gus didn't do much this year, compared to previous ones.  But the man can still convey a lot with just one icy glare! 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Xena said:

Maybe, but nobody is using that one?

She had to use the episode when she confronts Lalo for her Emmy reel, that dressing down she gave him, how in the world does she not get a nomination?  

• Love 2

I think it was Michael Caine I once heard comment that if you're nominated for two very different roles in the same year you have a good chance of winning because the voters know that at least *one* of them you were acting.

Maybe Seehorn's problem is that few people have seen her in anything else.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

If you're not watching the Inside the Gilliverse podcasts, they're really good.  Heather Marion was just on and revealed she isn't writing for S6.  Sad about that - although I know these episodes are all highly collaborative, she's written some really strong ones ("Klick", "Slip", "Talk", "Dedicado a Max").  Although the last two seasons have still been really good, I feel like there's already some magic powder that didn't get sprinkled without Gennifer Hutchison there.  Still, Vince is back and they still have Peter, Tom, Gordon...

• Useful 1

Another in The NY Times (https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/17/arts/television/best-tv-episodes.html), this time The Best TV Episodes of 2020:

‘Better Call Saul’ (AMC)

‘Bad Choice Road’

In a season dominated by Rhea Seehorn’s steely performance as Kim Wexler — the corporate lawyer who’s both mystified and enthralled by the dime-novel nihilism of her husband, Saul Goodman (Bob Odenkirk) — this episode contained Seehorn’s tour de force: Kim’s disingenuous, spur-of-the-moment rant to a drug dealer who’s deciding whether to let her and Saul live.

• Love 3

Critics' Choice Award nominations!

BEST DRAMA SERIES

BEST ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES - Bob Odenkirk

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES - Jonathan Banks

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES - Rhea Seehorn

BEST SHORT FORM SERIES - Better Call Saul: Ethics Training with Kim Wexler

• Love 2

Season 6 likely will premiere in early 2022:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/better-call-saul-season-6-144517717.html

AMC Networks chief Josh Sapan:

"We have a fuller slate of the ‘Walking Dead’ universe shows than we’ve had in some time, with ‘The Walking Dead’ back and ‘Fear the Walking Dead’ back at full strength, and then the second season of ‘World Beyond.’ For ‘Better Call Saul,’ it does look likely, at this point, that ‘Better Call Saul’ will move into the first quarter of 2022. That’s the way we’re seeing it right now. And other shows, we’re on a production timing schedule. We’ll have a clearer view, I think, next quarter.”

Hey...Josh? Unfortunately, there are many people out there who don't care about the repetitive grim shit that is the Walking Dead franchise. We want Saul. Season 5 ended in April 2020....

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Producers Guild of America nomination!

Norman Felton Award for Outstanding Producer of Episodic Television

“Better Call Saul” (AMC) – Season 5
Producers: eligibility determination pending

“Bridgerton” – (Netflix) – Season 1
Producers: eligibility determination pending

“The Crown” (Netflix) – Season 4
Producers: Peter Morgan, Suzanne Mackie, Stephen Daldry, Andy Harries, Benjamin Caron, Matthew Byam Shaw, Robert Fox, Michael Casey, Andy Stebbing, Martin Harrison, Oona O’Beirn

“The Mandalorian” (Disney Plus) – Season 2
Producers: Jon Favreau, Dave Filoni, Kathleen Kennedy, Colin Wilson, Karen Gilchrist, John Bartnicki, Carrie Beck

“Ozark” (Netflix) – Season 3
Producers: Jason Bateman, Chris Mundy, Bill Dubuque, Mark Williams, Patrick Markey, John Shiban, Miki Johnson, Matthew Spiegel, Erin Mitchell, Martin Zimmerman, Peter Thorell

On 2/26/2021 at 1:30 PM, WritinMan said:

Season 6 likely will premiere in early 2022:

They ALWAYS take soooo long between seasons, to the point where I really don't care to watch anymore. I'm a completionist (is that even a word LOL), but I might have to sit this one out.

• Love 4

Well COVID is making the wait longer.

I find it easier to remember what happened on a show that airs an episode every week, even if it there are two years between a season, than I do remembering what happened on a show that drops all on the same day even if the next season only comes out a year later.

My worry about the next season is where it's going story wise more than the wait. 

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, ByTor said:

Weren't we always waiting at least a year and a half between seasons, though?

It was year (give or take a month or two) between 1 and 2 and 2 and 3. 

Between 3 and 4, it was a year and four months. 

Between 4 and 5, it was a year and a half.  Part of that was due to filming El Camino, I think. If it weren't for the pandemic, we probably would have had another spring start.  (Although maybe not since this season is longer).

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, ByTor said:

They ALWAYS take soooo long between seasons, to the point where I really don't care to watch anymore. I'm a completionist (is that even a word LOL), but I might have to sit this one out.

Totally agree.  Pandemic aside, so many (non-broadcast) shows take upwards of 18-24 months or more in some cases, to bring back another season.  It's ridiculous, and it would seem that viewership would drop as a result.  I've never seen an explanation for it, reasonable or otherwise.

• Love 4