Type keyword(s) to search

Better Call Saul In The Media

• Start Topic

14 hours ago, TVFan17 said:

Has it been mentioned anywhere in this forum that Season 5 kicks off on Sunday, February 23, 2020?  (I could have missed something.)  

I just got one of those AMC Better Call Saul emails that had me click a button to "lawyer up," and it led to a little teaser video (which was quick), and the February 23rd date. 

So they're going back to a February season start -- which is when the first couple of seasons premiered, isn't it?

It is kind of ridiculous how long they are taking between these short seasons.  I can't even remember what happened in Season 4 at this point.

I wonder how much El Camino had to do with the delay.

• Love 2
On 11/21/2019 at 6:04 AM, Bryce Lynch said:

I wonder how much El Camino had to do with the delay.

Quite a bit, IIRC.  Besides occupying Vince Gilligan's attention (without whom BTS obviously cannot move forward) for an extended period I believe a lot of the crew for Breaking Bad moved over to BTS and they were used for El Camino as well. 

I think El Camino was a bit of a vanity project for Gilligan.  Breaking Bad did not leave anything hanging when it ended.  It didn't cry out for a movie to tie up loose ends. We didn't know what happened to Jesse, except for the most important thing - he got away.   What we got in El Camino was an OK TV-movie that ended right where it should have started - Jesse in Alaska. 

• Love 5
On 11/26/2019 at 3:11 PM, Quilt Fairy said:

That is a well done teaser.  It instantly got me interested in the new season.

Me too.  But then I realized that Kim wasn't in it.  So now I'm worried--as much as one should get about TV character, anyway.

• Love 1
On 12/4/2019 at 7:47 AM, Ohwell said:

She'd have better luck without that damn pony tail.

You will get that pony tail when you cut it from her cold, dead head.  

Well, that didn't sound all that great.  

Edited by PeterPirate
  • LOL 7
  • Love 2
On 12/3/2019 at 7:34 PM, PeterPirate said:

Me too.  But then I realized that Kim wasn't in it.  So now I'm worried--as much as one should get about TV character, anyway.

Neither were Mike, Gus, or anyone else except Saul. Are we supposed to know who the driver is?

Better Call Saul was renewed for a sixth and final season of 13 episodes.  It's supposed to air in 2021 as long as they don't split it into two seasons.

Saul's 13-episode final season will put it one episode ahead of its parent show, which ran for five seasons — the latter of which was broken in two and aired a year apart — and 62 episodes from 2008-13. Saul will finish with 63.

• Love 5

'Better Call Saul' to end with Season 6

‘Better Call Saul’ Renewed for 6th and Final Season at AMC

Gould also announced that several “Breaking Bad” favorites will be coming back for season 5 of “Better Call Saul,” including Dean Norris who will be reprising the role of Hank Schrader, and Steven Michael Quezada who will once again be playing Norris’ DEA partner Steven Gomez. However, Gould confirmed for the umpteenth time that neither Bryan Cranston’s Walter White nor Aaron Paul’s Jesse Pinkman will be making an appearance.

During the panel, Gilligan was repeatedly asked if he would consider continuing the world of “Breaking Bad” and “Better Call Saul,” especially considering the popularity of the recent “Breaking Bad” movie “El Camino.”

“Probably not,” came Gilligan’s concise, but not entirely committal reply.

Here is another article about Better Call Saul's renewal.  (Note that there are spoilers about the appearance of one character in particular that I don't think is mentioned in the article Irlandesa linked above.  I am happy that this character will be appearing because I think it's getting close to the right time for it, and I was not sure if it was going to happen.)

I hope they don't split up Season 6 of Better Call Saul so that 7 episodes air in 2021 and 6 episodes air in 2022, premiering one full year apart.  I hate that tactic.  It made a bit more sense when they split up Breaking Bad's final season because there were 16 episodes, and they could evenly divide Season 5 into two halves with 8 episodes each.  But I still hated when they did it then, because so much time passed in between the first half of BB's Season 5 and the second half.  It wasn't like how they do things with The Walking Dead, where they end the first half of a season in November and then pick up the season again only 3 months later or whatever.  Instead, the second half of Breaking Bad's final season aired 11 or 12 months after the first half of the season ended, which was crazy.

It doesn't help matters any that Season 4 of Better Call Saul ended 15 months ago - in October 2018!!! -- and we are still waiting for Season 5's 10 episodes to begin.

I'll be sad to see Better Call Saul end, just as I am sad to see any show I regularly watch come to an end.  (Several shows I've watched have wrapped up at around the 5th or 6th season, while others drag on and on, way past their expiration date.)  I appreciated that it was keeping me connected to the Breaking Bad universe in some way, albeit with new characters added in as well, because I didn't "discover" Breaking Bad until 2012, several months before its final season began (I had to hurriedly get caught up on the first 4 seasons).  If I had been watching Breaking Bad in 2008, I probably would have accepted its end in 2013 a bit better.  But since I didn't start watching BB until 2012 and had to play catch-up, when it ended its run in 2013 it felt premature to me -- it felt as though it was practically just getting started (because I was late to jump on the bandwagon!).  And so I was ready to dive into Better Call Saul to stay in that BB universe somehow, as it felt as though my BB time had been "cut short" (if that makes any kind of sense)! 🤣

I wish The Walking Dead would take the hint and wrap up, but it seems to be endless.

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 2
On 1/17/2020 at 10:32 AM, TVFan17 said:

It doesn't help matters any that Season 4 of Better Call Saul ended 15 months ago - in October 2018!!! -- and we are still waiting for Season 5's 10 episodes to begin.

And FINALLY season 4 is coming to Netflix!  They waited so damn long, however, that I'm not as excited about it as I normally would be (I haven't seen any of season 4 yet).

• Love 2
On 12/24/2019 at 9:26 PM, Quilt Fairy said:

I love Kim's ponytail!!!  I love how she can look completely professional with that hairstyle. 

I think the Cindy Brady curl makes it look really unprofessional. A straight, low ponytail would be so much more appropriate.

From the teaser:

Spoiler

Hank!!

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

I like it perky.  Matches her personality. 

Yes, and by giving it that one big curl it makes it shorter and it will stay neater all day. Long straight hair would mess up a little, every time she turned her head.

• Love 1

I just saw the latest movie version of  "Little Women" this past weekend.  It was really excellent and the cast was stellar.  Then, Bob Odenkirk showed up as the girls' father, home from the war.  WHAT?!?!?!  I could NOT see sleazy lawyer Saul Goodman!  Still a good movie though. 

• LOL 2

Two interviews:

This interview (from last month) with Bob Odenkirk is very interesting.  Of course, he is being coy and cagey at times, as he obviously can't give any real info about what is coming up in this new season or the final season (he isn't even admitting that there is a 6th season in the interview, as you can see!).  But, if we are to read between the lines, he is kind of hinting at some of what we will see without actually revealing much of anything at all. 

And then, in this separate interview from the recent Winter TCA Press Tour in January, Bob, Rhea Seehorn and Jonathan Banks promise that the pace of the show is going to ramp up, the violence is going to be "bigger," and we are possibly going to see a darker side of Kim.  They even manage to mention Baby Yoda (complete with Jonathan waving at the camera like Baby Yoda does in the now-famous meme that has swept social media)!🤣

Giancarlo Esposito was at the TCAs to promote Better Call Saul too, but I think he was also fielding questions about his role on The Mandalorian (speaking of Baby Yoda), as the first season of that show just wrapped up at the end of December, and it was fresh on people's minds.  So the info that I saw about Giancarlo at the TCAs was Mandalorian-related, even though he was there as a cast member of Better Call Saul.

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

My DVR listings are showing a short (6 min) Season 5 preview at 3:30 a.m. this Sunday.   It's odd, but I thought I'd put it out there. 

Quite a few networks are doing things like this for shows.  Those six minutes will likely include commercials so it's probably one of the promos that are already out there online.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Season 6 of Better Call Saul was supposed to begin filming on March 30th.  I don't know if all productions in New Mexico are being shut down or delayed, as they are in other areas around the world.  But I am going to assume for now that the BCS production will, indeed, be postponed because it would require a lot of people congregated on various sets. 

If it is delayed for too long (like several months or more), we can likely expect that the premiere of the final BCS season will be later than originally planned.  If AMC, Gilligan, Gould, etc., were hoping to get Season 6 on the air in February 2021, for example (and I don't know if that was their plan), then a significant delay in production could mean that we don't see the Season 6 premiere until Summer 2021, if not much later.  And if they were hoping to get Season 6 on the air in the Summer or early Fall of 2021, then we might not see it until 2022.

• Love 2

I will have completely forgotten what happened in Season 5 anyway, no matter when Season 6 starts, so it doesn't matter to me.  😩

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 4

This was posted over in the Kim thread, but I wanted to post it here in case anyone was not checking that thread.

This video looks as though Kim stumbled into the world of Breaking Bad.  Notice all of the familiar cameo appearances, such as "Mr. Mayhew"...

The previous Ethics Training video right before this one was funny too, but this one is better.

8 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

Important sepinwall interview with G/G, who insist they did not see Kim's near free-fall to breaking so badly.  Big time varying mileage in this piece.

Best case for next new ep airing is Fall, 2021. 

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-features/better-call-saul-season-5-finale-creators-interview-984340/  

And: “Vince Gilligan…will be much more hands-on for the sixth and final season”

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

Important sepinwall interview with G/G, who insist they did not see Kim's near free-fall to breaking so badly.  Big time varying mileage in this piece.

Best case for next new ep airing is Fall, 2021. 

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-features/better-call-saul-season-5-finale-creators-interview-984340/  

"Gould says the decision to have Kim not only embrace sin, but rationalize her actions in a manner echoing Walter White, occurred to the writers very late in the season."

Yeah...I think that's pretty damn obvious, 

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

And: “Vince Gilligan…will be much more hands-on for the sixth and final season”

I am hoping that that bodes well.  I have still enjoyed BCS but I have had issues with some of the character choices made since he stepped back.

• Love 1

There's also this:

“I’m embarrassed to admit this now,” Gilligan says, “but back in Season One or Two, when I was more active on the show, Peter kept saying, ‘We’ve gotta answer who Lalo is,’ and I finally said, ‘I don’t know that we need to answer every single question.’

42 minutes ago, PeterPirate said:

There's also this:

“I’m embarrassed to admit this now,” Gilligan says, “but back in Season One or Two, when I was more active on the show, Peter kept saying, ‘We’ve gotta answer who Lalo is,’ and I finally said, ‘I don’t know that we need to answer every single question.’

LOL I don't get that attitude.  Saul's fear of Lalo was expressed in one of his 1st lines on BB, how could they not address Lalo?

• Love 4