Type keyword(s) to search

Better Call Saul In The Media

• Start Topic

Just now, peeayebee said:

I don't want to get too much into speculation, and esp not spoilers, but did Walt know Saul went to Omaha?

I don’t think so. Saul made a joke about being sent there, but that was before he knew for sure.

That was sweet (pun kinda intended).

In the Insider Podcast, they told the story about Pat Healy coming to the set and being told that Carol Burnett wanted to meet him. When she saw him she said, "There's my son!" Everyone says how warm, generous, intelligent, kind, and awesome she is.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

I don’t think so. Saul made a joke about being sent there, but that was before he knew for sure.

In retrospect, I'm not sure it was a joke.  I'm pretty sure he said "if I'm lucky" and "best case scenario".  Since Jesse had the pick of where he wanted to land, the location was Gene's first choice.  Which just reinforces that he chose Nebraska very specifically for reasons I can only imagine involve Kim.

5 hours ago, Neiman said:

I thought this was interesting:  an interview with the actor who plays Frank, the security chief, about meeting Carol Burnett and the "Nippy" episode:

https://nypost.com/2022/07/27/jim-oheir-talks-better-call-saul-role-carol-burnett-and-cinnabons/

Great interview.  I need BCS medics to be around whenever I'm near sweet treats:

‘Hi, Jim, I’m going to check to make sure your blood-sugar levels aren’t getting out of hand.’

• Like 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, EdwinSorrow said:

Interesting interview with the actor Pat Healy, who plays Jeff the cab driver. 

Very interesting and honest about working as an actor.

But there's a tidbit in this that could be considered spoilery so proceed with caution.

16 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:

HCA TV Awards: ‘White Lotus,’ ‘Abbott Elementary,’ ‘Better Call Saul’ Lead Winners

The cast and the show itself cleaned up at this weekend's Hollywood Critics Association awards. I love that you can see in their acceptance speeches how much doing the show and finally getting recognition for it has meant to them all. 

Love it! Great speeches!  I had a jacket just like Bob’s in 2002. Lol

Where was Banks?

Spent a LONG time searching through Netflix, Amazon, HBO, and all the other services I rarely use when I caught a glimpse of Dean Norris with HAIR!

He was in BEIRUT with Jon Hamm. Late 70’s and early 80’s had some truly bad hair styles. Hank’s, err, Dean’s, was pretty cheesy.

Haven’t seen movie. Don’t know if based on true story, a la, ARGO, but if I do watch it I’ll leave a report card.

Glad another BCS alum is finding work.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Lalo Lives said:

Spent a LONG time searching through Netflix, Amazon, HBO, and all the other services I rarely use when I caught a glimpse of Dean Norris with HAIR!

He was in BEIRUT with Jon Hamm. Late 70’s and early 80’s had some truly bad hair styles. Hank’s, err, Dean’s, was pretty cheesy.

Haven’t seen movie. Don’t know if based on true story, a la, ARGO, but if I do watch it I’ll leave a report card.

Glad another BCS alum is finding work.

What’s the name of that movie? I adore both of them and that’s my favorite time period.

5 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

What’s the name of that movie? I adore both of them and that’s my favorite time period.

I believe it is called BEIRUT.

The character of Hank got some bad P.R. in my opinion. He was meant to be curmudgeonly as a method of covering up his own insecurities. Yes, he was rude to Marie when he was rehabbing.

I most certainly would not have behaved that way to my wife, but it was clear Marie was up to the task and she simply brushed it off, MOSTLY. It did make her cry, and probably contributed to her extracurricular “shopping.”

But Hank was a dude with flaws. He had this tough guy armor to shield himself from the real fears he had about his own shortcomings.

Marie accepted his faults just as much as he accepted hers.

I thought Hank’s character was rich with layers.

I have not seen a great deal of Hamm’s work, but what I have seen has been very good. Great voice, charming, sharp looking guy, great sense of comedic timing. Lots of appeal. Maybe I need to start MAD MEN.

(I may or not watch BEIRUT. I lost a very very close friend in the 1983 bombing. Not sure if that will be covered in the movie. Sure, it has been 39 years. But loss is loss.)

• Love 1

I recently started watching Longmire, and lo and behold, there was Patrick Fabian!

1 hour ago, Lalo Lives said:

I have not seen a great deal of Hamm’s work, but what I have seen has been very good. Great voice, charming, sharp looking guy, great sense of comedic timing. Lots of appeal. Maybe I need to start MAD MEN.

I loved Mad Men. Jon Hamm deserved an Emmy for every season, but some guy named... Bryan Cranston? took it practically every year.

Hamm is hilarious in 30 Rock.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Lalo Lives said:

The character of Hank got some bad P.R. in my opinion. He was meant to be curmudgeonly as a method of covering up his own insecurities.

Hank might be my favorite character ever on tv/in movies. I disliked his bluster at first, but he quickly won me over. I know I’m not the only one who felt this way. And yes, you absolutely should watch Mad Men! I’ll never be able to decide if MM or BB was better. They’re both incredible tv.

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Love 2
On 8/18/2022 at 9:19 AM, peeayebee said:

I recently started watching Longmire, and lo and behold, there was Patrick Fabian!

I loved Mad Men. Jon Hamm deserved an Emmy for every season, but some guy named... Bryan Cranston? took it practically every year.

Hamm is hilarious in 30 Rock.

I remember that episode. Yeesh. He was young, he needed the money.

Talking script, not show.

I think Longmire was shot in NM also.

The novels are fun. Many times they make me laugh out loud. Which makes the dogs move around. Which ticks off my wife because it'll be 1:00 a.m.

Then I get a lesson in physics:

If a 3 kg pillow makes contact with Lalo Lives' noggin at 97 meters per second, how soon will he sleep on the sofa?

Craig Johnson, author of LONGMIRE novels, is no dummy. Knowledge of literature and history is remarkable.

Edited by Lalo Lives
Errors

A friend told me it was shot in Montana. A relative of hers has a cabin there where an episode or more was shot.

I’m envious. Wouldn’t mind being in either Wyoming, New Mexico, or Montana. Thanks for the information.

Did anyone ever watch a table read? I just finished watching 'Switch,' S2E1. That was fun. It's esp cool watching the other actors reacting, as themselves, to what's going on in the scene. Price is in this one, and he gets some big laughs.

1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

Did anyone ever watch a table read? I just finished watching 'Switch,' S2E1. That was fun. It's esp cool watching the other actors reacting, as themselves, to what's going on in the scene. Price is in this one, and he gets some big laughs.

These are so good and I wish they'd release lots more table reads as well as the scripts.  Hopefully the S6 set will have some.

Interesting details here I hadn't noticed before:

- Kim explicitly mentions (and implicitly proscribes) ripping off bars for tequila before she goes along with ripping off Ken.

- The fallacy of sunk costs makes a big impact on Kim: she refers back to it in S3 and avoiding it clearly motivates her decision to leave S&C.

- Rhea is a little bit more flattered at Jimmy fairly openly asking about their relationship at the start.  As I recall, her actual performance is a lot more guarded.

2 hours ago, gallimaufry said:

- Rhea is a little bit more flattered at Jimmy fairly openly asking about their relationship at the start.  As I recall, her actual performance is a lot more guarded.

I caught that too.  In the table read Jimmy uses the word "together", but in the final product that word is left out.  They left it ambiguous about how actively Jimmy was pursuing her.  

Maybe I've been misinterpreting things all these years, but when Kim plants her first kiss on Jimmy after they've scammed KenWins, it's sort of a surprise.  

Edited by PeterPirate

Watched a compilation of Zim Zam the Yo Yo Man this evening.

Vince made it out to be the funniest thing ever.

But he’s got a different sense of humor from the general population I would guess. He thought the bingo sunroof confession thing was a thigh slapper. I thought it was just sad.

Nonetheless, “Pryce” was deadpan gold while making all those poor local TV news station personnel squirm. I don’t know how he kept a straight face. The man has skills.

I haven't heard of Zim Zam the Yo Yo Man. I'll check it out.

I've been watching What We Do in the Shadows. Mark Proksch plays an energy vampire, and he's perfect as someone who saps people's energy with his boring talk.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, peeayebee said:

The Emmys. *sigh* Well, there's always next year.

Sure, but given the something like 8,000 shows on in a given year these days, the Emmys don't mean as much as they used to.
Bob Odenkirk *knows* he's loved and that he's respected for this work.
And I hope Rhea Seehorn is proud of her work too.

• Love 3

I mean, in a sense, I think Bob and Rhea's biggest showcase episodes were all in 6B.  To me, 6A should have been an opportunity to celebrate Michael Mando's phenomenal performance as much as anything.  Of course, the Emmys are just an Internet poll with a narrower electorate and superior party planning and perhaps less credibility so... eh.  

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Sensational news.  I guess when Vince said he wanted to do a new show to keep the team together, he didn't just mean the crew.

I'll be fascinated to see where the BB/BCS writers land (and hopefully as many of them stick together as possible).  Thomas Schnauz seems likely to stick with Vince as they go back such a long way. I really hope Peter Gould has a new show soon but if not perhaps he'll consult.  Gordon Smith is an incredible talent and I'd love to see him start his own show or showrun something alongside Peter or Vince.  Moira Walley-Beckett has been curiously quiet since "Anne with an E" ended - would love to see her re-partner with the team even though I assume she'd be trying to launch something of her own.  Imagine if Gennifer Hutchison could be tempted back from Middle-Earth.  And what's Ann Cherkis doing?  Sam Catlin has a deal with Apple...

Also, I hope that even though this will clearly be completely different, they will keep some elements of BCS's sensibility: the slower, character-focused approach, the use of wides and scenery (I imagine that will remain as if the whole point is to keep the ABQ crew, they're surely not going to resile from using those incredible landscapes).

• Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3