Type keyword(s) to search

The Corinthos Clan: When You're Related to Sonny, Who Needs Enemies?

• Start Topic

I don't know if you all have seen the Growing Pains spoof that Julian Edelman of the Pats created, but I want to do one for the Corinthos family. I'm going to edit in gunfire, smashing barware, and explosion sound effects into the song.

"Baby rain or shine, all the time :gatgatgat: we've got each other :ka-boom: sharing the laughter and love :shattering glass: "

• Love 3

I don't know if you all have seen the Growing Pains spoof that Julian Edelman of the Pats created, but I want to do one for the Corinthos family. I'm going to edit in gunfire, smashing barware, and explosion sound effects into the song.

"Baby rain or shine, all the time :gatgatgat: we've got each other :ka-boom: sharing the laughter and love :shattering glass: "

You should dub in Paper Planes by M.I.A. instead.

Did Morgan actually ever say to Sonny that he realizes that Sonny loves him as much as he loves Michael? Or did he just magically get over all his issues when Sonny told him Ava killed Connie? I'm kinda confused on this issue.

• Love 2

Well, when the Number One Son spot came open, Morgan began vying for the position. He started sending audition tapes to Sonny in Pentonville and then doing monologues called "Reasons Y Mikey R Ungra8full" and "AJ R Fat". He also wrote a book of poetry called "Sonny is Tha #1 Dad". On President's Day, he dropped a mix tape "If Ur Readin Dis Im Da #1 Sun".

Sonny responds to his projects with "I know, Son. I know."

• Love 2
(edited)

I don't buy that Dante would cheat. But I also don't buy that Patrick would forget about Robin, Nik would keep the Jason secret, Jake wouldn't care about his past, Sam wouldn't call Robin to find out what happened with Jason, Morgan wouldn't side with Michael, Carly wouldn't beg for Michael's forgiveness, Sonny would kill AJ, Kiki would want Sonny raising Avery...

What makes Dante special? He'll be OOC like everyone else.

I agree with most of those, but there are three big ones I disagree with: Jake not caring about his past - I don't feel too passionately about this, but Jason was a person who didn't have a lot of regret, and I don't mean that in a negative way, just someone who knew it was useless to wish for the past to be changed, so I can buy him, as Jake, letting go of the past he really has no desire or memory about.

I absolutely think Sonny would kill AJ. It was just an unfortunate choice to make for the character if they were gonna keep him on screen.

I buy Morgan siding against Michael as well. He's that desperate to be number 1 with his dad and his parents and he always has since the SORASed version. The part I have trouble buying is him not having more conflict.

I think Ron completely changed Michael and Morgan's dynamic. Morgan loved Michael so much. Looked up to him as a hero. Yes, I really believe that. Morgan also freaking loved Jax. He was never, until Ron, completely obsessed with Sonny.

I think if Jax were on screen, we'd here more about that from Morgan. We have had a moment or two where we see Morgan talk about Jax, but I think he's repressing it. I think at this point Jax is just another person he feel rejected by.

To be honest, I usually don't count the kiddie characterizations of characters. Otherwise SORASed Lulu would have been the most taciturn person ever. :) But even if I did, I can buy that Morgan became insecure and angry at school. Before he left, Carly and Jax's marriage imploded, he felt like Jax was leaving behind to be with his real kid. I could easily picture the whole thing leaving him secretly resentful and disillusioned.

And, no, I didn't think Sonny would kill AJ at this point in the show.

Why not?

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 3

I think it's odd to just have Jake be like, "Obvs my past life sucks!" I think if they weren't postponing the reveal, he would have a lot more to do with investigating himself.

There was a point where I'd buy Sonny killing AJ. Just not now. Too much time passed and he wouldn't do it to Michael. He just wouldn't.

But Morgan wanting to be Sonny's puppet shouldn't have changed his absolute love for Michael. Especially now. Cause Sonny doesn't give a crap about Michael now. And Sonny has screwed over Morgan so many times, as well. They should be a united front.

• Love 2

There was a point where I'd buy Sonny killing AJ. Just not now. Too much time passed and he wouldn't do it to Michael. He just wouldn't.

People have said that Sonny murdered AJ in cold blood, but I don't think that's true. When he shot Dante, that was cold-blooded. I don't think Sonny had anything in his head when he killed AJ, it was just pure temper. So I don't think it's something he did to Michael per se, it is and it isn't. And I think we saw a lot of the time, last summer and when he went to prison, he was aware of the depth of his crime.

I just don't think, given how Sonny has evolved on the show, that this was beyond him, no matter how much he loves Michael. And I do think he loves Michael, in that special Sonny way.

And it's why I think poor dumb stupid Morgan is gonna get a hard slap of reality in the face when Sonny finds out what he planned/is planning. Because Sonny still loves Michael.

• Love 4

I think AJ's murder was more cold blooded. He left him to bleed out and die like road kill. IRL that would be death penalty worthy. Not to mention, the sitting by and lying, covering up the crime, while AJ's son mourned him, and trying to go to the funeral, the crypt sex, and nonchalantly calling AJ a bastard after he'd killed him. Both crimes are worse, but that he at least directed Olivia to get a towel or called for help, makes it that wee bit less cold blooded. But not by much.

• Love 1

I think AJ's murder was more cold blooded. He left him to bleed out and die like road kill. IRL that would be death penalty worthy. Not to mention, the sitting by and lying, covering up the crime, while AJ's son mourned him, and trying to go to the funeral, the crypt sex, and nonchalantly calling AJ a bastard after he'd killed him. Both crimes are worse, but that he at least directed Olivia to get a towel or called for help, makes it that wee bit less cold blooded. But not by much.

Actually he didn't . . . both those things were Olivia. Plus at that point, he knew Dante was his son. At the very least, he knew Dante was Olivia's son, even if there were a part of him that wondered if Olivia was lying about the paternity.

I'm talking about what came before the actual shooting, anyway. Sonny stood there, held Dante up at gunpoint for several minutes and told him how no one would ever arrest him because no one would ever find Dante's body. With AJ, he came in, saw AJ choking Ava, and also at that point he thought AJ killed Connie. He screamed and then he snapped. And also, he had been planning Dante's murder for days. It was way more calculated.

Both are extremely gross though.

• Love 3

True,but I think Sonny wanted to murder a Quartermaine the day he came to town. It's a big part of why he can hang back now and let Micheal go. Or his profitable candy mafia. He killed That Guy who in his mind was more educated, better looking, taller, born with more advantages, and every other stereotype. That's better story than "killed what's her face" imo because at Sonny's core he's still that poor kid from Bensonhurst.

True,but I think Sonny wanted to murder a Quartermaine the day he came to town. It's a big part of why he can hang back now and let Micheal go. Or his profitable candy mafia. He killed That Guy who in his mind was more educated, better looking, taller, born with more advantages, and every other stereotype. That's better story than "killed what's her face" imo because at Sonny's core he's still that poor kid from Bensonhurst.

I do think he saw a reason to kill AJ and went for it, but I don't think he ever saw AJ as anything good or positive he resented. He just always saw him as trash. And to be fair to Sonny, I guess, everyone in town saw AJ as trash, other than Michael and Monica "I have a medical convention in Uranus" Quartermaine.

I'm interested in seeing whether Bryan Craig's tantrum or the negative audience response to this awful story cause Frank to change the outcome, or if it will stay on course. 

If it stays on course, then I imagine it would be:

Sonny: That was...bad. Bad. What are you DOING?

Morgan: He has a gut! Just like his bastard father! He's going to have a big old fat gut and he'll oink like a pig! I don't oink! I'm good and I'm hot and strong and good and HOT!

Carly: He is kind of hot, Sonny...you know, if he weren't my son.

Sonny: Yeah OK I get it. No oinking in this family. Got it? I got it. You got it? Good. Tell me you got it. 

Kiki: I got it!

Sonny: Shut your mouth whore. 

Morgan: I love you, Dad!!!

• Love 5

Ric is not a Corinthos. He's a Lansing. Since Adela was only a Corinthos by marriage and he didnt even grow up with that family he's not a Corinthos. 

I've never bought RC's characterization for Morgan. He didn't go away to a regular boarding school. He went away to military school. He should be alot more structured and mature. He was more mature at 12 then he is now. And Morgan may have been the #2 son but Kristina was dead last. Morgan lived with Sonny in his home for years, went on trips with his father,etc. 

• Love 2

Ric is not a Corinthos. He's a Lansing. Since Adela was only a Corinthos by marriage and he didnt even grow up with that family he's not a Corinthos.

I've never bought RC's characterization for Morgan. He didn't go away to a regular boarding school. He went away to military school. He should be alot more structured and mature. He was more mature at 12 then he is now. And Morgan may have been the #2 son but Kristina was dead last. Morgan lived with Sonny in his home for years, went on trips with his father,etc.

Corinthos clan is shorthand for "people who are related to Sonny".

• Love 4

Poor Kristina is even lower than Morgan on the food chain. #2 Girl Child. In Sonny's family, that's like..... worse than dead or a potential life saver. Only Micheal [family tree redacted due to current awesomeness ] remembers her.

She might be better off.

• Love 2

Poor Kristina is even lower than Morgan on the food chain. #2 Girl Child. In Sonny's family, that's like..... worse than dead or a potential life saver. Only Micheal [family tree redacted due to current awesomeness ] remembers her.

She might be better off.

Kristina is lower than Morgan yet he's done more "woe is me" bitching than she ever has. Her parents interact without so much as mentioning her. 

• Love 1

On paper it's interesting to have two brothers as rivals, but onscreen it only works if the motivation is there. And it's always felt so contrived. The idea of "Team Michael" or "Team Morgan" or what have you is something that only whips up interest if people are attached to the actor. As it is now the writing is setting up the audience to ultimately hate or dislike both brothers. That's where my mother (who just started watching in the last few years and doesn't really have a strong opinion on most of the characters) is at this point.

On paper it's interesting to have two brothers as rivals, but onscreen it only works if the motivation is there. And it's always felt so contrived. The idea of "Team Michael" or "Team Morgan" or what have you is something that only whips up interest if people are attached to the actor. As it is now the writing is setting up the audience to ultimately hate or dislike both brothers. That's where my mother (who just started watching in the last few years and doesn't really have a strong opinion on most of the characters) is at this point.

Plus we saw a 12 year old Morgan getting along perfectly fine with his brothers. A few years away and he goes from smart and happy kid to angry and stupid with no actual hardships having happened to him during that time. He's very much a spoiled rich kid who has never had to struggle. This current characterization is forced.

• Love 2

I think the angry Morgan works better with BC though. I couldn't buy him playing a smart, good character.

I think Bryan plays petulant, but that doesn't translate to resentment or rage. The current story has him doing horrific things, but it's being played like "MIkey" stole his Hot Wheels. 

I think they could write Morgan as a bit of a prick who is disappointed about his family, but still basically loves them. I think Bryan could play that.

• Love 2
(edited)

That's what's missing from this story. They can be shits to one another, but they should also show that they care about one another and regret fighting. Morgan especially is showing zero feelings for Michael. Even Lucky and Nikolas showed some sort of pang at being odds when they were feuding in the 90s, and they hadn't even grown up together.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 4

I think Bryan plays petulant, but that doesn't translate to resentment or rage. The current story has him doing horrific things, but it's being played like "MIkey" stole his Hot Wheels. 

I think they could write Morgan as a bit of a prick who is disappointed about his family, but still basically loves them. I think Bryan could play that.

Well, I wasn't really talking about the storyline right now, more like back in 2013. Now he's just an asshole.

• Love 2

I think the angry Morgan works better with BC though. I couldn't buy him playing a smart, good character.

I can't buy him as a smart good character either but he doesn't do a good job at being a "bad boy" either. He just comes off as a whiny brat. And this show could really use a young good guy. I think they should send Morgan away to college for a year or so and bring him back under a recast.  

• Love 1

I can't buy him as a smart good character either but he doesn't do a good job at being a "bad boy" either. He just comes off as a whiny brat. And this show could really use a young good guy. I think they should send Morgan away to college for a year or so and bring him back under a recast.  

That's how we got Current!Morgan, though. Aaron Refvem played the character until 2010, and then he was fired, I think. Morgan was sent off to military school and returned in 2013 as Bryan Craig.

(edited)

I can't buy him as a smart good character either but he doesn't do a good job at being a "bad boy" either. He just comes off as a whiny brat. And this show could really use a young good guy.

Michael is the good kid.

That's how we got Current!Morgan, though. Aaron Refvem played the character until 2010, and then he was fired, I think. Morgan was sent off to military school and returned in 2013 as Bryan Craig.

He wasn't fired exactly. I mean he was, but he got another job first. I can sympathize with them not wanting to work around a kid actor. It turned out to be nothing, unfortunately, for AR though. I think the project was dropped.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 1

Don't forget Aaron Sanders. Then again, he wasn't much to remember.

• Love 2

He wasn't fired exactly. I mean he was, but he got another job first. I can sympathize with them not wanting to work around a kid actor. It turned out to be nothing, unfortunately, for AR though. I think the project was dropped.

Thank you for the minor correction, ulkis. And now part of me is snickering at the idea that even back then they'd get rid of you if you wouldn't make your schedule revolve around GH and not look for other work. ;-)

Michael is the good kid.

Michael's list of crimes is too long for him to be the good kid. Michael who was determined to become Sonny's successor. Michael who rages out and fights people all the time.

There was another Morgan named Aaron before Bryan Craig. He and Molly kidnapped Joss in an attempt to get Carly and Jax back together. I didn't care for the casting of either of those young actors but I don't like how RC basically turned Morgan into an even bratty version of Kristina (and basically said as much in one of the soap mags)

Thank you for the minor correction, ulkis. And now part of me is snickering at the idea that even back then they'd get rid of you if you wouldn't make your schedule revolve around GH and not look for other work. ;-)

The kid had booked a pilot. Had it gone to series he wouldn't have been available for GH anyway. Why should they work around the schedule of a recurring child?

• Love 1

The kid had booked a pilot. Had it gone to series he wouldn't have been available for GH anyway. Why should they work around the schedule of a recurring child?

Yeah, I agree. It's probably best for him to be off GH anyway and try to get other jobs as soon as he can.

Michael's list of crimes is too long for him to be the good kid. Michael who was determined to become Sonny's successor. Michael who rages out and fights people all the time.

This is true, but at this point, Morgan's crimes are also too numerous. Maybe they can get a third, non-Sonny related guy to be the decent young man on the show.

Yeah, I agree. It's probably best for him to be off GH anyway and try to get other jobs as soon as he can.

This is true, but at this point, Morgan's crimes are also too numerous. Maybe they can get a third, non-Sonny related guy to be the decent young man on the show.

Man, I hate it when my jokes fall flat.

And they had a decent Sonny-related guy in Dante, and while he's still much better than Michael and Morgan, that's such a low bar to leap that its barely an inch off the ground. It's genetic, I'm tellin' ya.

• Love 1
(edited)

And they had a decent Sonny-related guy in Dante, and while he's still much better than Michael and Morgan, that's such a low bar to leap that its barely an inch off the ground. It's genetic, I'm tellin' ya.

I may have misinterpreted In2You's post, but I thought she just meant that the show needs a decent young man in general, whether they are related to Sonny or not, and the reason I didn't bring up Dante is I assumed "young man" meant in Michael/Morgan's age range.

(Although I do want to say, Dante was making up excuses for Sonny long before he lied about shooting himself.)

Edited by ulkis
(edited)

That's what's missing from this story. They can be shits to one another, but they should also show that they care about one another and regret fighting. Morgan especially is showing zero feelings for Michael. Even Lucky and Nikolas showed some sort of pang at being odds when they were feuding in the 90s, and they hadn't even grown up together.

That's the part that grates the most about this whole story.  Morgan is not remotely acting like this is the brother he grew up with and adored.  He's positively gleeful about what he's doing to Michael - endangering Michael and the sister he claims to be doing this all for.  He's acting like he short sheeted his bed and will be sticking his hand in a bucket of warm water after he falls asleep, not like he stole drugs he knows very little about from a hospital and is drugging his brother and encouraging him to drink when taking those drugs.  

This is way too similar to what Sonny did to Jax to help Carly keep Joss, and Sonny and Jax had decades of hatred between them to fuel that shit.  

Edited by KerleyQ
  • Love 5

Oh I'm sure Morgan hasn't considered what might happen if they get caught; he's so sure this plan RAWKS, so he probably thinks no one will ever know about Operation Alcoholic.

• Love 4

I may have misinterpreted In2You's post, but I thought she just meant that the show needs a decent young man in general, whether they are related to Sonny or not, and the reason I didn't bring up Dante is I assumed "young man" meant in Michael/Morgan's age range.

(Although I do want to say, Dante was making up excuses for Sonny long before he lied about shooting himself.)

That's exactly what I meant Ulkis.That age range needed a good guy character. That character should've been Morgan but Ron brought him back basically retreading Kristina with an obnoxious gf in tow(like how she brought an obnoxious guy with her). And now he's just gotten way worse.

• Love 1

So, what's the story with Bryan Craig recently?  I'm hearing hints that he has been expressing unhappiness with the way his story has been going*...

* - Not that I can particularly blame him.

All I know is that I'm exhausted at good characters being sacrificed to the altar of the Almighty Sonny. Enough already. He's a cold blooded killer. They don't even pretend that he "only" gives orders anymore. 

• Love 2
Now I respectfully say that I don’t think the good writing has anything to do with building up the character before he has an affair with Valerie – in good part because I continue to think that there will no cheating.  But more about that another time. 

I was joking when I said that :) About 99%, at least. Will there be cheating? I don't know. I am kinda torn about LLC/Olivia. I like her. But Olivia is kinda useless on a full show and killing her off would be a good excuse for Dante to lash out for a while.

(edited)

I was joking when I said that :) About 99%, at least. Will there be cheating? I don't know. I am kinda torn about LLC/Olivia. I like her. But Olivia is kinda useless on a full show and killing her off would be a good excuse for Dante to lash out for a while.

Yes, joking about this pretense at a triangle story is a good thing to do - especially since any story there has been has, thus far, been told more in interviews and in fan debates than in the very few episodes on the screen.  I'm reserving comments about all of that for a bit longer and, besides, those comments will likely be more appropriate for the relationship thread.

Re LLC/Olivia:  Consistently adore LLC, but my interest in Olivia comes and goes - especially in RC's world where OTT camp and melodrama are overused.  LLC's acting style falls too easily into that overdone style, making me uncomfortable with Olivia when she does. 

And, yes, overall, Olivia is "kinda useless," so reacting to her death could give Dom/Dante some great story.  That he is a good man has been well-established, but he needs to be not-so-good ... for a solid reason.  Losing his mother would rock him to his core and would give that understandable reason which many fans would accept - much more so than cheating.

However, right now, my spec is that Dante is going to illegally go along with whatever Ned and Olivia are scheming to protect the baby.  If so, we'll see if this is yet another story which ends before it starts ... or if RC et al will actually develop it while LLC is on maternity leave.

Edited by Aurora2

While Olivia's death would undoubtedly provide richer acting fodder for DZ, if Dante were to become half-orphaned, it needs to be his other parent that bites it, damn it.  (I know... but come on, let me dream.)

• Love 1