Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions

The Alan Bates butler in Gosford Park was a conscientious objector -- and he was shown to be absolutely terrified that his "secret" get out ... trembling even, leaving the rather awkward impression that he was indeed a "sniveling coward" ... Fellowes did not make Molesley a conscientious objector and rather deliberately imho made Molesley another "coward" -- without even acknowledging the possibility of C.O. status. The whole white feathers at the concert again -- cowardice, rather than principle. Even Mrs. Pattimore's PTSD cousin was executed for refusing to fight, i.e. "cowardice" -- but he had fought and was not a C.O.  There were C.O.'s who were taken to a battlefield, ordered to fight and then executed (in utter cold blood) when they refused to fight. Thousands other were imprisoned under very harsh and hostile conditions. For some it was much more of a  political movement more than a pacifist movement.  Fellowes keeps sort of sashaying up to their story and then backing away. WWI was extremely unpopular on the homefront and it took a lot of propaganda and deaths to keep the army filled with cannon fodder. Fellowes' depoliticized handling of the story just annoys me (badly, obviously). On the anniversary of WWI, there has been a lot of soul searching particularly wrt to the execution. In fact, as I recall, the matter of Mrs. Patmore's cousin and the other handful of men (I believe there were under a dozen like him) executed like him would not be handled (and recognized as a travesty and atonement/pardon granted) I believe until the 1970's possibly later. So that whole heart-tugging mini-plaque was probably absolutely ridiculous, but I can't be certain. 

Tom I believe at one point intended to volunteer to create some sort of agitprop but then was shocked to discover he was rejected for a heart murmur.  Back before antibiotics, there was a lot more rheumatic fever and rheumatic heart disease which can leaves people with very "dicky hearts," bad valves, loud murmurs, and the possibility of dropping dead. Tom's bad heart was, of course, never mentioned again and he certainly seems healthy, though he doesn't exactly engage in hard manual labor or exercise. 

My unpopular opinion is that we may never be told who murdered Green ... Even Fellowes seems bored with the story ... maybe it will be forgotten during the hiatus. I was excited by the stunningly blue-eye man appearing in the preview of next week, so some Mary-resolution may be on the horizon. Good. 

Edited by SusanSunflower
  • Love 1
So that whole heart-tugging mini-plaque was probably absolutely ridiculous, but I can't be certain.

My unpopular opinion is that it most certainly was ridiculous.  At that time, before PTSD even had a name beyond "shell-shocked,"  Mrs. Patmore's nephew would have been her family's great shame.  His name would have been spoken only in whispers if at all.  That Mrs. Patmore would want to bring the situation to public light by either putting his name on a memorial or a plaque seems unthinkable to me. It was about as likely as the Crawleys taking  out a birth announcement in the London Times about Edith's baby.  Every time we had a scene with Mrs. Patmore sniveling and whining and even being rude to her employer over this I was baffled.

My husband is part of the honor guard at all our county funerals for veterans.  They are beyond picky about who gets what honors.  For example, my husband can play the taps on his trumpet, but he can't shoot the rifle in the salute, because, in spite of a 22 year career and several overseas tours, he isn't eligible for the VFW.  He didn't actually fight on foreign soil, he just loaded bombs in the "theater of operations."  Just ask Brian Williams about how touchy they are.

If any  surviving soldier ever  happens to see that plaque and remembers something about the circumstances of Mrs. Pattmore's nephew's death, there will be more tears in the kitchen than Daisy can keep mopped up.  Mrs. Pattmore has every right to mourn her nephew but she just can't expect him to have public honor and recognition for being shot as a traitor, it's just too far fetched to believe.  Lord Grantham at least knew enough not to put his name on the monument with the soldiers who died "honorably," but the plaque is close by and seems to be giving him a similar honor in some way.  It's a "Just no," thing, and I think Mrs. P really would have known that and never, ever mentioned it, much less whined and demanded and pouted about it.

• Love 4

My impopular opinion is that in a sort of way i hate Carson mainly because of the treatment of Tom Branson in the series, it could be credible in series 3. But now Tom is the estate manager a much important jobe that Carson has, also with the work of Tom and Matthew he can work on Downton, maybe whitout them he would have to return to the "cheerfull Charlies"; i think that it could be a interesant a mini subplot about a Tom reprimand to Carson for being irrespectful while he made a opinion about politics in the dinner and Cora backing up Tom and mrs hughers telling to Carson downstais that she warning him about his behavior with Mr Branson in the past . 

JudyObscure's mention of "Taps" reminded me of how amused I was by that peppy little tune played by the bugler. Is that what was or is played at British military memorials? It's very...merry.

• Love 1

JudyObscure's mention of "Taps" reminded me of how amused I was by that peppy little tune played by the bugler. Is that what was or is played at British military memorials? It's very...merry.

That's how The Last Post sounds.  You call this "peppy?"

That's how The Last Post sounds. You call

"peppy?"
It just has fewer long, sustained notes and a lot more dancing around the staff. (Perhaps not a fair comparison, given that Taps has what?--4 notes?) For some reason on the show it reminded me of Reville. Maybe he was playing it a bit faster? Thanks for the link! It's much prettier than Taps, I think. Edited by Portia

I just can't bring myself to care even the littlest bit about Tom. I don't dislike him...I'm just utterly indifferent. I didn't buy him as the rebel revolutionary who somehow spent his days at a chauffeur at Downton in lieu of actually doing much toward his cause, and I find him insufferably dull as the tamed housepet who laps up the life of luxury while still sometimes whining vaguely about how he SHOULD be elsewhere...but isn't. I won't be bothered if he stays, but I won't miss him if he finally (finally, finally, FINALLY!) makes good on his threat to leave Downton. He just never had any depth or personality to me. He'd need really compelling storylines to be interesting to me and, needless to say, he hasn't gotten any. Similarly, IMUO the actor is just...fine. He doesn't stand out as being subpar in the least, but I just find him blandly forgettable. I don't even think he's attractive. Everything about Tom is "just there" for me. I wish i cared more about him than I do.  

Edited by amensisterfriend
  • Love 4

Haha, Oh dear amensisterfriend, how very, very much I pity you for your bad, bad taste! That is unpopular with me indeed. Liking Mr. Carson, but finding Tom just "meh"? Tz tz tz....

Well it's like the dress that some see in white golden and others in black blue.

I fell in love with Tom the minute he walked into that library. He's the most interesting and the most heartbreaking character on the show and my whole Downton world moves around him and no one else.

And Allen Leech, btw is sex on legs.

tumblr_inline_nkbmjuzIWP1r174yw.gif

Edited by Andorra
  • Love 1
He's the most interesting and the most heartbreaking character on the show and my whole Downton world moves around him and no one else.

That's exactly how I feel about Edith.  I think it's interesting which people we watch Downton for and would probably quit watching if they left.

• Love 2

That's exactly how I feel about Edith.  I think it's interesting which people we watch Downton for and would probably quit watching if they left.

Yes, I think that's what makes the show so popular around the world. For some it's the scenery, for some it's the historical aspect and for many it is the fact that there is a character for everyone to identify with and to invest in. No matter which people watch, they all have their favourites and most of them really root for their favourite characters after a while.

• Love 4

Actually I am with Amensisterfriend with Tom. I don't dislike Tom at all, he's just not very interesting now that he's Robert's lapdog. I like the actor fine and don't want him off the show or anything, but Tom has literally done nothing but errands for the Crawleys for close to three seasons now.

• Like 1

Actually I am with Amensisterfriend with Tom. I don't dislike Tom at all, he's just not very interesting now that he's Robert's lapdog. I like the actor fine and don't want him off the show or anything, but Tom has literally done nothing but errands for the Crawleys for close to three seasons now.

I love him, but I don't even disagree here. He is in desperate need of a better storyline! But actually I think that's sadly true for most characters of the show now. In series 5 there was very little to get excited about storywise.

Tom: boring storyline with a no point ending

Mary: boring storyline with a no point ending

Daisy: incredibly boring storyline

Mrs Hughes: did she have a storyline at all?

Anna/Bates: incredibly boring storyline with a no point ending

Thomas: general idea of the storyline was good, the execution was terrible. Too short, too vague, boring

Edith: Could have been the most interesting storyline ended up being meh

Mr. Carson: Was he in series 5?

Cora: At least one of the better storylines of the series IMO

Isobel/Merton: Best storyline of the series

Violet/Kruagin: Urgh. Hated it and found it boring, too

Rose/Atticus: rushed, boring, fanfiction

Robert: The same as Cora, one of the better storylines of the series

In fact there was not one, single storyline in the series, that had my full attention. I loved many little moments between the characters. I loved all Mary/Tom scenes for example, they were among my highlights of the series and I loved all scenes with Sybbie from her with Robert and also from her with Tom. I also loved Violet and Isobel together and I liked two scenes between Robert and Edith.

But otherwise? A complete disappointment from start to finish.

Edited by Andorra
  • Love 3

I agree with almost every single word of your post, Andorra.  Very, very much wheel spinning going on.  But I suspect that is not an unpopular opinion, alas.  For me the most egregious bores were Mary's pointless sexcapades and Greene's unsolved mystery.  Again, probably I'm in the wrong thread.

• Love 1

Andorra, I so agree about Kuragin and Violet. Maybe she was attracted to him when she was young and wanted a few wild oats to sow, but now?  He needs a bath, a shave, a haircut, and a major personality transplant.  I don't buy for one minute she is still attracted to him, no matter how flattering it might be to have someone supposedly still in love with you.  Although his confessions of love struck me as very cold (contrast him with Lord Merton, for example).  The sooner he is gone, the better.  I hope they find out he's some kind of con man.

• Love 3

I think this is an unpopular opinion based on the episode threads: I could not care less about Carson and Hughes. Their engagement didn't move me at all. Both characters are incredibly one-dimensional to me, with neither having any sort of personality or development beyond their jobs, and even the way they carry out their jobs is predictable (they'll always be loyal to the Crawleys, they'll be firm but compassionate when the situation warrants, etc.). The reveal with Mrs. Hughes suddenly having an incapacitated sister was terrible. Maybe if we'd learned about her sister over the previous five seasons she'd be a more fleshed-out character, but of course it's just wedged in out of nowhere to be the catalyst for her engagement to someone I don't care much about either.

• Love 2

My unpopular opinions:

I like the Bateses, and didn't mind the rape storyline, although I think the Green murder storyline has dragged on forever and needs to end now.

I like Robert, and think he's basically a decent, if a bit pompous, person struggling to adjust to changing times.

I've grown to like Rose.

Edith has been one of my favorite characters since the beginning, and I'm glad she finally seems to have things going her way.  Plus she's easily the most attractive of the Crawley sisters when she's styled right.

• Love 5
(edited)

Unpopular opinion?

-The scene in the Christmas Special mentioned how much Sybil loved Christmas (that was established a few years ago, I believe)

-Mary had her stocking, which is placed on the crib where Sybil's daughter -- also named Sybil -- sleeps/might have slept (I guess it's not clear)

-Her sisters and her husband were there

-Isobel was not there

So, on Sybil's favorite holiday -- with her stocking in hand -- her surviving sisters and husband take this time to remember her.

And maybe Mary just didn't feel like being vulnerable about her husband in front of Edith or Tom. Mary would likely never believe a lady would never show emotions about romantic feelings (like Violet never breathing a word about Kuragin for 80 years).

Maybe a nice remembrance of Sybil by those who loved her could just be a nice scene about remembering Sybil, regardless of how a writer feels about an actor.

Edited by Eolivet
  • Love 2

My biggest unpopular opinion might be that I still like this show lol. It has its issues, but it's cozy and familiar and I'm already looking forward to January.

The other one I guess is that Anna is still my favorite character. I swing back and forth on Bates depending on the episode, but I think in general he doesn't bother me. I think the issues with them have been more plot-based than character-based, especially where Anna is concerned. But hopefully Fellowes has learned his lesson and will just let them be happy next season. They can still have drama without being miserable.

Not sure what the general feeling on Edith is right now but I still hate her guts, and until/unless she finds some way of making things up to the Drewes for all the shit she pulled with them, she can go piss up a rope for all I care. I'm not enchanted by her happiness. In fact, I don't think she's earned it. I will, however, continue to compliment Laura Carmichael on being fine as hell and pulling off some spectacular '20s fashions.

Mary doesn't bother me as much as she used to. In fact, I kind of enjoy her now. My feelings on her and Edith have totally done a 180 since Season One, which is totally shocking to me. I'm not happy about it, but Edith is being such a shithead. Mary's a shithead too, but there's something more fun about the way she does it.

• Love 4

I agree with the unpopular opinion about Mrs Hughes and Carson (although maybe it isn't so unpopular anymore).  Fellowes has turned them into simple cardboard caricatures (especially Carson).  His stuffy, pompous attitude is getting old.  I thought they were already engaged, so when the the "engagment" happened, I was pretty underwhelmed.

• Love 2

- The Anna/Bates drama this season didn't bother me. (And this is coming from someone who found the jail storyline the worst part of season 2.) It may just be because I've always found Anna more interesting than Bates which causes me to feel more sympathy for her. Seeing her go through the hardships hits me harder than anything that went on with Bates. I'll be honest, I've never really cared for Bates as a character beyond the first season.
- I liked what they did with Mary/Robert this season, even if those two still aren't in my top favorites.
- I didn't really like Tom or Tom/Sibyl for the longest time. But he grew on me during Season 5, and now I'm hoping he doesn't leave. Also, Miss Bunting didn't bother me (although I'm glad they weren't a long-term/endgame relationship).
- I enjoyed Hughes/Carson becoming engaged. It wasn't necessary, but it worked for me, personally.
- I’m generally happy with the show right now. I was worried I didn't care anymore, because I was completely apathetic throughout season 4. This year rejuvenated my interest for the show.

• Love 1

I found the Christmas Special, while pretty to look at, emotionally flat ... which I attribute in part to the impending loss of so many of the few "nice" people, the ridiculous transformation of (#1 central character for most) Mary into a shrew, and the preponderance of unpleasant characters -- prince/princess, Lord Sinderby, Merton's sons, both Violet's lady's maid AND butler (make them go away now) and, for me, Thomas, whom I loathe. Sinderby may have been "due" for a stumble, but it was Sinderby's mistress and child who were thrown in jeopardy -- for what? -- for some potential public disgrace of the entire household (including Atticus) -- because he had the misfortune to hire a nasty nasty butler who couldn't hold his tongue or his liquor? Even the "Prayer of Sybil" seemed Hallmark ridiculous, even as my eyes welled. It was everything I like least about the show -- flashy and shallow -- characterized by Robert's (for me cringe-inducing) public announcement that he had, in fact, come to love and respect Tom, despite everything, after all these years.  Yes, if only he could get Tom to leave Sybbie in his care ... maybe if he asks one more (or more) time? (each time IMHO, demonstrating how much he really doesn't respect or accept Tom). Whatever. Even the sparkling Matthew Goode failed to shine brightly -- and I did expect to see him appear, somehow, maybe with Atticus, at Christmas.  Oh, and the not-really-a-conclusion of Greene's murder inquiry irks like hell.  Episode was overstuffed and still left me "hungry" .... unwhelmed, even annoyed. Like a bad broth, despite prime ingredients. 

• Love 1

To me the Christmas special was hitting us over the head with sweet, corny, cheesy fanfiction stories so we would forget about the awful writing of the rest of the series. Didn't work for me though. I still think series 5 was a waste of time.

• Love 2
(edited)

Yes, badly badly written wasted season ... and I agree with others here that Mary's interest in someone with racing cars as a hobby would be nonexistent -- she has a fatherless son to remind her daily -- no matter how gorgeous, expensive and/or exclusive the car. I liked that she was shown admiring his quickness in shooting and changing guns -- but I wasn't sure how much gusto he had for it or her or anything, something Matthew managed to radiate -- making him attractive -- even in subdued fashion. (eta:  See also ROSE.) Something lacking is everyone else, except intermittently maybe Daisy and Molesley in their cramped-small-world fashion. Gusto, verve, esprit, whatever you want to call it, was one of Gregson's better qualities as well iirc. Even in this 90 minute "special" so much could have been removed completely to allow more satisfying endings for Atticus, Rose and Tom -- and we still know nothing about the to-be-built "cottages" or the house Carson actually has purchased ... etc. 

Edited by SusanSunflower

I enjoyed season 5.  I thought it was so much better than season 4 which I think is the worst of the series.

Sure there was plenty of stuff I hated - any story line with the Bates, Denker/Sprat - that I consider a total waste of time and could have been better spent on other characters.

Even though I hated Bunting, I didn't mind those scenes.  At least I didn't fast forward thru them like I do with Anna/Bates

While I like Mrs. Hughes, I have no feelings on a Hughes/Carson relationship.

Before this season I had no strong like or dislike of Edith.  I now hate her.  And since she is a fictional character I wish her every unhappiness.  although I will admit I liked the scenes with her and Tom and with her and Robert.

I still love the clothes and the scenery.

I went to the Downton clothing exhibit and it was amazing how much more beautiful the clothes are in person.  The TV just doesn't do the detailing justice.  I hope there will be another exhibit of clothes from this season.  Some of those fashions looked amazing on TV.

Keep: Mary, Evelyn, Moseley, Baxter, Thomas, Atticus, Rose

Rid: Anna, Bates, Daisy, Mrs. Pattmore, Ms. Bunting, Prince K.

Blah about Carson/Hughes getting together. I prefer them as just good friends.

Also very glad to see Prince K. gone. His character started out as someone with awesome potential, but he quickly turned into a jerk face.

LOL.  It's really difficult -- I was thinking about this wrt "what would you change/how would you like to see this series end" -- Most of DA's characters have become significantly less interesting as time has gone on ... rather than becoming richer, more nuanced or "better understood" as you might expect (see U/D). See John Bates as an example -- he was interesting with his war history, his harridan of a secret wife, his painful leg, his "service" relationship with Robert and Robert's loyalty to him ... etc. This was nothing exceptional, but more interesting than what he is now. Are Anna and John having trouble conceiving or are they totally okay with not-conceiving after 3-4 years, at their age? Could/would they consider adoption? What is their financial status? Could they (or just Anna) quit service and open a B&B/hotel as they were talking about? (how odd is it that Carson/Hughes have never talked to Anna/Bates about possibly being in "competition" with their so-very-similar planned future).  The story/characters have been hobbled by the Downton Triangle -- for almost every character for them to "move on" means leaving Downton environs and the series entirely -- even Daisy and the farm (which seems to have gotten much closer than it used to be). 

Actually I'm sorry Bunting was written to be so awful -- I was hoping that she and Tom could set up as exemplars of younger middle-class pillars of the community and open the series up in that direction. The children are much too young and, as yet, have no specific personality. Cranford, of course, comes to mind quickly -- but it certainly has been done before -- see Larkrise etc -- usually becoming trite and predictable "little house" like... 

• Love 1
(edited)

Miss Baxter, Mr. Moselely, Rose, Atticus, Sybil, Matthew, Anna (without her husband), and because I clearly don't know how to count to seven, I'll add William.

ETA: Ooops. I forgot to say why. Miss B and Mr. M because they support each other so beautifully, Rose and Atticus because I think they are a charming new couple, who face some serious obstacles, yet who have the potential to be a lot of fun. Sybil and Matthew for their mix of social justice and nice personalities, Anna because she is so likeable and talented, and darling William because I'd like for him to come back and do what he really wanted, and to meet a woman who loved him as much as he loved her.

Edited by jordanpond
  • Love 1
(edited)

Keep: Tom, Mary, Violet, Isobel, Sybil, Thomas and Mrs Hughes.

Don't mind them but don't really need them: Robert, Cora, Mrs Patmore, Molesley, Baxter, Matthew and Edith

Rid: Anna, Bates, Daisy, Carson, Rose, Atticus

Edited by Andorra
  • Love 3

My unpopular opinion is that I am creeped out by the little girl they cast as Marigold.  She is just so quiet, unresponsive, and her eyes look dead. She gets tossed from one adult to another like a sack of potatoes and shows no response at all.  Most toddlers would not go meekly to people they don't know, and at that age they don't want to be carried around. They want to get down and run. This child is supposed to be 18 months-2 years old.  She is the same size as her cousins who are 4 and 3. I know there are many issues with casting very young actors and actresses, but surely they could have found  someone a bit more age appropriate and lively.

• Love 3
(edited)

but surely they could have found  someone a bit more age appropriate and lively.

Yes and spared everyone the speculation I've seen elsewhere that she's somehow damaged, even possibly Down syndrome ...  It feels like the ambiguity approaches "cheating" because it's almost impossible to remember how old the character is supposed to be -- particularly in view of an child actor who physically appears much older -- getting "buggy" about developmental milestones being reached appropriately feels "obsessive" -- but damn that child (actor) is vacant, bordering on listless too much of the time... etc. 

Edited by SusanSunflower
  • Love 2

Here's a question for you guys: If you could keep/see a spinoff with just 5-7 DA characters, who would you choose and why? And which 5-7 characters would you get rid of if you could?!

Can we pick dead characters?

It would depend on the theme of the spin-off and the channel on which it aired, ex.

Downton Nights or The Crawley into Bed Sisters on Cinemax

The Ghosts of Downton on that Discovery channel with that Haunting series

Downton Kibbutz on JLTV

After the Empire, a post WWII story on PBS

• Love 4

Keep: Anna, Mrs. Hughes, Baxter, Molesley, Sybil, William, and Mrs. Patmore

Ok, six out of seven of these are downstairs, but I've always preferred the downstairs storylines/characters. But in a spin-off, I'd want them to open some kind of private detective agency. You've already got the first four with some snooping skills. Sybil too was always quite resourceful, like when she was helping Gwen. William just because he was a sweetheart, and he could entertain everyone with the piano. And Mrs. Patmore because, hey, they've gotta eat!

• Love 1

I'm not sure where this should go, but I have a question.  When did addressing one's parents transition from Mama (or rather, the French Maman as it sounds to my ears)/Papa to Mummy and Daddy in the UK? 

(edited)

Keep: Thomas, Edith, Mrs. Hughes, Mrs. Patmore, Anna, Violet, Isobel

Rid: Carson, Mary, Robert, Bates, Daisy, Rose, Sprat (if including past characters, throw in Jimmy/Ivy/O'Brien's nephew first)

Most of the dead characters weren't my favorites anyway, tbh. Usually middle of the pack, where Tom, Cora, Mosely, Baxter and Rosamund are.

Maybe a spin-off in another country during or after World War II, where Thomas/Hughes/Patmore/Anna are the only staff for Edith, Violet, and Isobel because everyone else died from a stray bomber or were carted off to die in combat?

Edited by TheGreenKnight

Ok my serious, post season five answer.

Keep - Tom, Edith, Mary, Robert, Cora, Rose, and Atticus (mostly cause he's married to Rose.

I'd drop most of the downstairs characters and plots because these plots are generallydone to make the common characters look stupid or foolish or laughably ignorant. I'd also drop Violet and Isobel because with rare exception, these two are completely disconnected to any plot.

My not so serious answer? WIlliam, Matthew, Sybil, Gregson and Isis roaming around in a van, getting high and solving mysteries :)

I agree with others here that Mary's interest in someone with racing cars as a hobby would be nonexistent -- she has a fatherless son to remind her daily -- no matter how gorgeous, expensive and/or exclusive the car.

Is a woman whose husband dies in a car crash never supposed to date another man who drives a car? The following post pretty much sums up my feelings on the subject, especially the point about Sybil dying/Mary's lack of worry about her own pregnancy: http://clairiere.tumblr.com/post/112561307441/i-dont-get-some-of-the-peanut-gallery-commentary

• Love 1

Is a woman whose husband dies in a car crash never supposed to date another man who drives a car?

Of course not, but you'd think she'd be a little leery. I'd say the difference is that Matthew  wasn't  a race car driver and he ended up dead, in a pure accident. Matthew was a lot of things but a proponent of risky behavior? Not really. So I could see there being a twinge or two over the idea of hooking up with a guy who actually engages in risky behavior as a part of his profession.

But personally, I think the bigger downcheck not being addressed is how much does a 1920s race car driver make? Mary has her standards! :)

I must admit, unpopular or not, Matthew Goode is pretty and I am more than willing to give him a chance, but I did find "race car driver" to be a bit soap opera and unlikely to be accepted by the nobility crowd Mary likes... which is the bigger plot problem with it, in my opinion.

(edited)

I'm pretty sure there were plenty of upper class race drivers. Evelyn Waugh has upper class drivers appear in his novel Vile Bodies. (The main one is female.)

I get the feeling Henry Talbot has family money anyway.

Edited by Avaleigh
  • Love 1

My unpopular opinion is that I am creeped out by the little girl they cast as Marigold.  She is just so quiet, unresponsive, and her eyes look dead. She gets tossed from one adult to another like a sack of potatoes and shows no response at all.  Most toddlers would not go meekly to people they don't know, and at that age they don't want to be carried around. They want to get down and run. This child is supposed to be 18 months-2 years old.  She is the same size as her cousins who are 4 and 3. I know there are many issues with casting very young actors and actresses, but surely they could have found  someone a bit more age appropriate and lively.

I don't know if that's an unpopular opinion, but I totally agree.  I hate to say it, but every single child actor they've used for Marigold has been strangely listless and unresponsive. 

• Love 1

To turn this thread back to it's topic, unpopular opinions:

My massively unpopular opinion is that I liked the Battle of the Broth. I thought it was funny, and I appreciated a storyline that wasn't about death, or prison, or families being destroyed.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

Judging from comments on this board, I actually think my opinion that there's nothing wrong with the kid playing Marigold except for her being less lively than the kid playing Sybbie, which strikes me as a perfectly normal difference in personality, might actually be the unpopular one.

• Love 2

Hehe fair point prosperina65. My unpopular opinion? I really hate seeing the kids dragged out for obligatory "look! there's children!" scenes. Watching Donk play Candyland isn't that interesting

• Love 1

Hehe fair point prosperina65. My unpopular opinion? I really hate seeing the kids dragged out for obligatory "look! there's children!" scenes. Watching Donk play Candyland isn't that interesting

Awwww, I thought the Candyland scene was cute.  But I agree with you in general.  Especially about George, who we almost never see.  Sybbie's adorable, though.

I don't like Thomas, don't find him particularly interesting, and would've been glad to see the back of him way back in Season 1.

• Love 2
(edited)

Thomas is so polarizing, and understandably so, that I'm never sure which opinion about him qualifies as most unpopular :) Mine is that I ADORE the guy, even when it's in a love-to-hate way, to the point where he's easily among the 2-3 characters who keeps me watching. And I think the actor who plays him does an underrated and phenomenal job...and, no, I'm not biased by the fact that he also happens to be pretty easy on the eyes! 

A few more UOs:

Part of me will still always enjoy and care about Bates and Bates/Anna no matter how ludicrously repetitive and tedious their storylines are. It's a sickness :) And to make this even more unpopular: I prefer Bates to Anna. The former is a more nuanced character to me---Anna tends to range from dully angelic to a soggy martyr for me, though she's certainly more likable than many, many other characters anyway! 

I'm with Zoloft Bob re the kids. In fact, I'm pretty sure I couldn't care less if we never saw kids on DA again. Yes, there's a special suite reserved for me in hell. 

I actually still usually enjoy Mary and see her as integral to the show (I realize that's an increasingly unpopular opinion in and of itself!), but words cannot possibly express how little I care about who she did and will date. I can't tell you how thrilled I'd be if they gave up even trying to write about Mary's love life for the remainder of the series. 

Of all the former and current DA characters, I think Lavinia, Strallan and Isis are the ones I'd most like in real life :) Sad but true. 

And here's a doozie: I love Carson even MORE than I love Hughes. The latter is almost too perfect for me, for lack of a better way of explaining it. Still, they are totally the only romance on this show that I actually care about! 

Of the Crawleys, most seem to dislike Mary, Robert and/or Edith, but my UO is that the Crawley I'd most like to see the last of is Cora. In theory, I might have liked her, but I just can't with the lame writing for the character or the actress and her distractingly bizarre line deliveries. 

All just my opinions...obviously :) 

Edited by amensisterfriend
  • Love 3
(edited)

back to Moseley and war service briefly:  In one episode this season there was a "how old am I" question to which someone told Moseley she thought he was 52 and his face fell as he said he was actually 51.  I would have thought his age alone would have ruled him out of active service, whether or not he also had health issues.   So, IMO, another continuity problem.

My likes/dislikes:  Characters only and no particular order

Hate Thomas.  I just cannot watch and condone inherently mean spirited/evil behavior. Well played by actor but uncomfortable to watch

Hate Spratt:  See Thomas, although Spratt is more about his own center of the universe vs bigger picture

Hate Edith:  I think she has been incredibly self-centered and just outright oblivious to anyone else.  Unacceptable for someone who has previously been set up to be more world-aware and who writes articles on social issues

Hate Mary: Shallow, shallow, shallow.  I'm sure there's supposed a sense of humor there but it's well-hidden

Not-Fussed: Any of the kids.  Marigold reminds me of a child I knew who was born with FAS (fetal alcohol syndrome)

Cora: I like spunky Cora, don't like meek Cora

Denker: the only reason this character has more than a bit part is because the actress is extremely well known (Sue Johnson -- Waking the Dead, Jam and Jerusalem etc)

Love Mosely: Caring, thoughtful of others.  Keeps bouncing back.  And provides some quietly humorous moments

Love Baxter: See above although she needs to keep Thomas at arm's length because he'll bite her in the butt again

Love Rose/Atticus:  Didn't think I was going to but I'm glad for the switching doubles with Rose's character.  And Atticus is just cute

Love Tom:  Yay Tom!  The only person there who continues to put in a day's work and keeps the whole place running smoothly.

Love Robert:  Just because

Love Violet: Or any other character played by Maggie Smith

Like all the others.  They have their parts to play to flesh out the period, the house, and whatever story line.

Edited by DHDancer
  • Love 2