Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions

This is the place to confess the opinions on Downton Abbey you've found to be largely unpopular or just plain odd without fear of being mocked and judged! 

I've binge watched the series all at once, so I'll readily admits that may account for my often weird perspective :) Some of my seemingly unpopular opinions:

1. Pretty much everyone I know ranks the first season as their favorite, but I loved S2 and S3 much more 

2. While I really like the softening effect he had on Mary, Matthew as an individual character was never especially compelling or well defined for me 

3. I thought Sybil was sort of dull and the actress, while gorgeous, never worked for me. As a result, her romance with Tom never moved me nearly as much as it was supposed to 

4. Carson and Hughes are the only romance or would-be romance on this show that I care about :) 

5. I freaking LOVED Anthony Strallan. I can't begin to explain why.

6. I just can't warm up to Rose. I dislike her a lot less than when we first met her, but she still kind of irks me.

7. I completely and totally understand why many hate Mary and/or Robert, but they're two of the only characters I can't imagine the show without. I don't care about Mary's tiresome love life in the least and wish she'd decide to just remain contentedly single, but other than that I still actually kind of enjoy her. 

8. I'm kind of obsessed with Thomas and the actor who plays him. He's right up there with Violet, Hughes and Carson on my short list of favorites. I understand why people want more growth in him (or, conversely, for him to just more wholeheartedly embrace his villainy), but I just always seem to find him and his storylines among the most riveting parts of the show. 

9. I never thought Jimmy was anywhere near as handsome or charming as we were supposed to

• Love 9

My unpopular opinions:

1. I hated the CS 2011. It was the most boring episode ever.

2. I HATE Carson/Hughes. I love Mrs Hughes and can't stand Carson and I'm beyond disappointed that she will even consider marrying that conservative, reactionary idiot.

3. I like Mary better than Edith

4. I enjoy the ongoing horrible relationship between Mary and Edith

5. Sybil and Tom was the only romance on the show that worked for me

6. I hate Charles Blake. I find him annoying, utterly uncharming and cringe every time he is on screen

I definitely agree with #6---he's both smarmy and a little bland to me. Sadly, I still prefer him to Tony :) (I often agree with your #3 as well!) 

Tony or Blake is the choice between plague and cholera for me. I don't like either. But Blake is the "unpopular opinion", not liking Tony seems to be popular, LOL.

Luckily it looks as if they both were no more than red herrings,and Henry Talbot will be endgame: thank GOD!

Edited by Andorra
  • Love 2

3. I thought Sybil was sort of dull and the actress, while gorgeous, never worked for me. As a result, her romance with Tom never moved me nearly as much as it was supposed to

Same here. She seemed to be a fan favorite and was beloved in the world of the show, but I never really liked her. Sybil just seemed bratty and tiresomely "rebellious", without the wit or brains or snarkiness. She did bring out a sparkle in Tom, though, and Alan Leech was quite adorable before they neutered Tom and he became a sadsack. Sybil herself, though...yawn. Yesterday I re-watched her death scene and the only thing moving about it was Tom and Cora's frantic reactions and the sadness among the servants.

• Love 7
(edited)
Sybil just seemed bratty and tiresomely "rebellious", without the wit or brains or snarkiness.

Table for two, please! And the actress somehow just exuded this perpetually remote, detached air for me that didn't work for the comparatively rebellious, passionate character she was supposed to play. I also think you make a great point re her being so beloved not just by fans, but in the world of the show. I tend to have an admittedly childish, "okay, stop it already, she's not THAT great" reaction to the characters who are so explicitly adored and praised, especially on a show where so many other characters are quite clearly flawed.

Tony or Blake is the choice between plague and cholera for me. I don't like either.

HA! 

My seemingly increasingly UO: I still love Carson. I can't help myself. His beliefs and outlook are radically different from my own, and I'd probably find him insufferable in real life, but as a character I just find myself drawn to every scene he's in and adore the actor. Admittedly, this season isn't doing him any favors so far! I really think the prolonged taunting of Mosely is way out of character---Carson was always rigid and often cold, but this petty silliness with regard to Mosely seems like exactly the sort of thing that the Carson of S1-S3 would harshly reprimand other servants for engaging in, let alone instigate it himself.  Admittedly, I'm probably just being a fangirly Carson apologist :)  

Another one: I find the Cora/Robert marriage easily one of the most realistic and believable relationships on the show, especially given that time period. And I don't think Robert is the total one-dimensional jerk that many (very understandably!) see him as. I actually see him as a mix of both strengths and flaws and a pretty nuanced character, albeit also not one who I usually agree with or would like in real life! 

Edited by amensisterfriend
  • Love 5

I dunno if it's unpopular but I never liked Carson. He's every petty douchebag who gets a little power and uses it to grind his bootheels into someone else. I never liked how hostile he was to anyone "taking" Mary's rightful  inheritance and he's been all around snobby with no reason and unpleasant and unforgiving of others when he himself is guilty of similar transgressions.

• Love 5

My top ones:

1) I think that season 2 was the weakest season in the bunch.

2) I agree that the show is past its peak but have still really enjoyed seasons 4 and 5. It seems like a lot of people think that season 4 is the weakest. 

3) I thought Isobel was insufferable in season 2 in terms of everything to do with the hospital.

4) I like the characters of Robert and Carson and think that they're both essentially good and decent men even if I disagree with them on this and that.

5) For a long list of reasons I don't really have any sympathy for Thomas and couldn't care less if he ever finds emotional happiness because IMO he's been too mean and horrible for too long. Being in the right place and the right time to save Edith or seeing him cry over Sybil's death isn't enough to get me to forget everything else he's done since season 1.

6) Tom and Sybil seemed like they were a pretty popular pair but I could never really get into it. It just seemed so lukewarm on Sybil's end. I know about the deleted scenes and even with those added in I didn't find the romance to be very exciting. We saw Tom criticizing Sybil's work in the war, we had Sybil telling Tom how angry he was all the time, we had Sybil telling Tom that he was her "ticket" out of Downton, and if we ever saw them having fun and making each other laugh prior to their engagement, I can't recall.

7) I don't think that Edith is a victim of her family and I don't think it's because of Robert and Violet that Edith isn't currently married. 

8) I like the character of Mary, I don't think that she's as mercenary as she's made out to be, and think that she's shown many good qualities over the seasons. I also think that Michelle Dockery is physically very pretty as Mary which seems to be a super unpopular opinion. 

Regarding the character of Sybil--

I liked her but I didn't like how she was written as not having any flaws. Mary and Edith seem like much more realistic characters in that sense. 

Edited by Avaleigh
  • Love 1
(edited)
6) Tom and Sybil seemed like they were a pretty popular pair but I could never really get into it. It just seemed so lukewarm on Sybil's end. I know about the deleted scenes and even with those added in I didn't find the romance to be very exciting. We saw Tom criticizing Sybil's work in the war, we had Sybil telling Tom how angry he was all the time, we had Sybil telling Tom that he was her "ticket" out of Downton, and if we ever saw them having fun and making each other laugh prior to their engagement, I can't recall.

This so perfectly pinpoints why I had trouble getting into them as well. 

4) I like the characters of Robert and Carson and think that they're both essentially good and decent men even if I disagree with them on this and that.

My thoughts exactly---and I disagree with them the majority of the time :) I do think it's interesting how many of us complain (justifiably!) about the show lacking in historical authenticity but often hate the characters who are arguably the most realistic given that particular time and place. 

8) I like the character of Mary, I don't think that she's as mercenary as she's made out to be, and think that she's shown many good qualities over the seasons. I also think that Michelle Dockery is physically very pretty as Mary which seems to be a super unpopular opinion.

I liked her (Sybil) but I didn't like how she was written as not having any flaws. Mary and Edith seem like much more realistic characters in that sense.

Amen to all of these!  (Just try to forgive me for loving S2 and enjoying Thomas beyond all reason!)

Edited by amensisterfriend
  • Love 2

Another one I forgot--

I don't think that Mary's suitors look a thing alike. Charles Blake is the shortest and he has a kind of James Franco-ish thing going on. Tony Gillingham is a little taller, his hair is darker and curlier and he just seems hairier in general like he has to shave more. Evelyn Napier has striking blue eyes, he's pale in comparison to the other two, and has a leaner look.

Avaleigh, as you know we're on opposite sides of the ring over Edith and Mary (although I think Mary is beautiful) so I'm happy to find we agree on 1,2,3,4, and 6!

Probably my most unpopular opinion is that I'm never very  fond of Isobel.  She has a way of barking her lines while vibrating her head that works well when she's angry but when she's just doing something like "insisting," that Tom invite Bunting to dinner it comes across as nervous and bossy to me.

• Love 1

I'm the only person I know who hate-watches this show.  I find it ridiculously contrived and a complete waste of effort and money.  It's visually gorgeous, but the attraction ends there.  It's nothing more than a cheesy 1980s soap opera, "Dynasty" in fancy dress.  Why it's on PBS I will never know.

Thank you for allowing me to vent this extremely unpopular opinion.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

1. I agree with Robert sometimes.

2. I love Thomas. And that might have to do with how damn gorgeous he is.

3. I think Mary should have picked Evelyn Napier over those other 2 bores.

4. I disliked "rebel" Tom & like "conservative" Tom.

• Love 7

You're a brave woman, Andorra.  I'm kind of neutral about her because I never understood a word she said.

LOL, really? Is it the accent? I don't find it that hard to understand. I had problems with Jimmy and Alfred though.

I don't like Anna!

I think she is the most boring, angelic snoozefest on the show.

I liked her well enough initially, but her storylines are always so tedious and dreary, and she's not an interesting enough character in her own right to rise above the material IMO. So, yes, I'm with you on thinking she's a snoozefest :) 

I don't hate Edith at all, but I've reached a point where I find her being the most consistently unlucky, overlooked, carelessly insulted woman on the planet to be genuinely amusing rather than depressing. 

And just in case that above UO doesn't already out me as a terrible person, I should admit to agreeing with the Thomas love. I find him endlessly fascinating and/or amusing despite knowing how much I'd condemn his actions in real life. And I'll even go as far to say that I think the actor is one of the 2-3 best on the entire show. 

I feel like I'm among the only viewers who's definitely not rooting for Cora to have an affair with the art dealer. 

• Love 3

Yes, it's the accent!  To me everything she says sounds like a softly tuned radio being turned rapidly up and down...or maybe like she's talking through the hiccups. I don't have trouble with most British accents and I've lived in England for three years but Anna's is a new one for me.

Crossposted -- I like Thomas, too.  For me he's like Mad Men's Pete, I forgive everything he does and I hate myself for it.

Edited by JudyObscure

But loving Thomas is not at all an "unpopular opinion". That doesn't count. He's one of the most loved or at least "loved to hate" characters on the show.

Not loving Sybil is unpopular indeed and of course completely unthinkable! I loved her. The most beautiful and amazing woman on the show. Modern, rebellious, feminist, but also lovely and genuinley nice. A truly wonderful female character.

And of course not loving Tom/Sybil is unpopular and totally unthinkable, too GASP! I saw sparks flying everyhwere as soon as those two were on the screen. They had incredible chemistry from day one. Loved them, loved them, loved them.

I have the unpopular opinion btw that Mary and Matthew weren't such a great love story. I started watching the show because of Dan Stevens and I was completely sure that I would ship Mary and Matthew, but I didn't. Instead I totally fell for the chauffeur and his lady.

Edited by Andorra
  • Love 3

Sybil isn't one of my faves. I don't dislike her, I just don't find as super duper amazing as a lot of people seem to.

Mary's my fave (which might be unpopular); I think she's a very complex character.

I love how Ms. Bunting appears to be Robert's arch-nemesis and enjoy watching them argue with Robert acting like a 5 yr old.

• Love 1

I liked a lot of the Mary/Matthew stuff, but I just don't think Matthew was a particularly well-defined or compelling character. 

And of course not loving Tom/Sybil is unpopular nad unthinkable, too. I saw sparks flying everyhwere as soon as those two were on the screen. They had incredible chemistry from day one. Loved them, loved them, loved them.

Hee---yes, I think I picked up on that ;) Rest assured that you're in the popular majority, at least among the fans I know in real life! I'm pretty indifferent to them. I've already talked in an above about why Sybil didn't quite work for me, and Tom has always been squarely in the "like him in a vague sort of way but wouldn't care all that much if he left the show" category. 

Mary's my fave (which might be unpopular); I think she's a very complex character.

She's not my special favorite, but I do find her a much better character than most seem to and honestly can't imagine the show without her! 

As I recall, it took most of season one for people to realize that Sybil  -- not Mary -- was "the beauty". I recall realizing this a bit early in the game and being told that Sybil was nothing special. Sybil and Tom were very different in the first seasons -- young and feisty towards each other -- they were not yet "in love" for a while, that was to slowly dawn on each of them (Sybil quite reluctantly as I recall) separately and at different times. Tom didn't want to even be attracted to the underaged daughter of his boss. Sybil enjoyed having someone to talk to who treated her and her views as intelligent. She sought him out platonically for a long time. (Much more nuanced character development back then). From Season 2 on, Tom and Sybil became duller and duller, endless platonic meetings in the garage with longing looks, going nowhere -- it became a drag and many were actively hating on both of them for being tedious.

Currently, Branson is back to his well-fed and growing staid look.  I like him and his character better about 20 pounds lighter (he's done this before, camera/costume/diet - who knows). Bates/Coyle seems lighter, without particular explanation. Carson looks about to blow (since actor is an athlete guessing that's deliberate but with his "heart scare" a few seasons ago, there should be concern, particularly with his temper). The women are all ageless and unchanging, except Violet who last season (or the one before) was looking much heavier (less mobile, less active?) and now looks much thinner and vivacious (again, no reason given -- she may not like walking about town, but she's not winded or needing to be rescued). Vagaries.

Edited by SusanSunflower
  • Love 1

I think Season 2 Branson was actually my least fave. He came off as pretty cranky to me, and I didn't really like it. My problem with Sybil was mainly that she was kinda too perfect for my liking (the same problem I have with Captain America, but that's a completely different discussion) I tend to like the more flawed characters.

• Love 6
My problem with Sybil was mainly that she was kinda too perfect for my liking(the same problem I have with Captain America, but that's a completely different discussion) I tend to like the more flawed characters.

Agreed! I take it Captain America is Matthew...?! If so, as you can see from an above post, I feel the same way. I love that he brought out a softer side of Mary's character but never got a grasp on who he was---aside from being kind of blandly, generically perfect :) 

I never understood why Matthew accepted being p*ssywhipped by Mary and disregarded by Robert when he was the one who began the process Robert could not face -- setting Downton to rights -- utterly apart from Lavinia's money role in Saving Downton.  Matthew was a lawyer -- he studied and trained, apprenticed, proved himself under supervision -- he could and did read financial balance sheets, productivity reports. He was able to consult and disagree with the lawyer and financial manager (who let Robert lose Cora's fortune) and the estate manager who was ... I don't remember ... incompetent? corrupt? ineffectual?  -- remember the unpaid rents? 

Edited by SusanSunflower
  • Love 2

I am completely indifferent to Tom and have been all along.  The character and actor are just not very compelling to me in an any way.  I really couldn’t care less whether or not he is on the show.  I don’t hate him, I am just indifferent.

I didn’t really buy Matthew/Mary as a love story.  I didn’t get what they saw in each other, I didn’t think they were a good fit for one another – they didn’t have the same values and I didn’t feel like their personalities meshed (I felt like Mary needed someone a bit stronger who was able to say no to her and Matthew needed someone with more empathy).  I didn’t think the chemistry between the actors was very strong either.  I thought the chemistry between Matthew and Sybil was far far stronger and I genuinely thought that’s where it was going in Season 1.

In fact, in general, I find myself unconvinced by the romances on the show – the only ones that are working for me are Atticus/Rose and Molesley/Baxter and I suspect that’s because they aren’t major plot lines. 

I really like Isobel – her humanity, her interest in the less fortunate, her kindness.

I don’t hate Bunting.  I don’t love her either but I don’t hate her with the passion that everyone else seems to.  I think she can be a bit abrasive but I don’t think she’s as rude as people think she is – for example, I really didn’t think it was rude or disrespectful for her to express her opinion about the war memorial.  I don’t think she was dishonouring those who had died at all, she just had a different take on it.  Other characters – particularly Mary and Violet – also often express different opinions but never seem to be criticised for it in this way.  I also (again v. unpopular) don’t take the view that she was too unattractive for Tom – I think she’s perfectly pleasant looking and I don’t think Tom is especially handsome (especially after his weight gain recently) so I think they look fine together.

I loved the Pamuk storyline in season 1, I think the episode where he dies is the best episode in the entire show.

As an aside, I don’t think it’s an unpopular opinion to think that Mary/Michelle Dockery is pretty, I think it’s more that many people (myself included) don’t think that she’s pretty enough to explain the level of interest that she gets from men and their indifference to other women on the show (particularly Rose!).  To be honest, I’m not sure it’s possible for anyone to be pretty enough to have the reaction to her make sense – it really is like she’s Helen of Troy!

• Love 4

Hehehe see my unpopular opinion, sadly not possible since Stevens left the show, was that at some point picture perfect Matthew was going to finally come out of the closet and screw up a whole lotta things. All the signs were there.

• Love 3

I have to imagine it's because Matthew didn't see himself as being "whipped".

As for his attitude regarding Robert, to me it seemed like Matthew was standing up to Robert even when doing that got in the way with his relationship with Mary. He told Robert about the mismanagement and he told him that things needed to change. It was because of Matthew voicing his opinions that the first estate agent quit in the first place. Matthew was a good and thoughtful man who was sensitive and considerate of Robert's feelings but it didn't stop him from being open about his opinions. I thought Robert valued Matthew very much and I think Matthew felt that and saw Robert as a fatherly figure.

• Love 2

I agree with the poster above who cannot abide Carson/Hughes.  I think Mrs. Hughes is so smart and all-around wonderful and I just don't get what she sees in that pompous ass.  If she needs to pair off with someone in her retirement years, please not him. 

• Love 8

We were subjected to episode after episode of tensions growing between Matthew and Robert and then Matthew demurred because it would have "spoiled" his relationship with Mary -- you can call it something else, but Mary controlled Matthew's relationship with Robert ... 

eta: He was supposed to be Robert's equal ... no, not hardly, with Mary's support always inconstant, usually ending up siding with Robert (for emotional/personal reasons) 

Edited by SusanSunflower

Avaleigh - it was more his surprisingly hands off thing about women. When we first meet Matthew - he's what, 25-30, reasonably good looking, well educated, successful professionally, and lives at home with his mom with no discernable lady friends. He moves to Downton loudly expresses his horror at the idea that the Earl's daughters being unmarried means he'll need to end his swinging bachelor lifestyle of well, hanging out with his mom. When out with Edith, he's just about "eww girl cooties" at her, and once Mary and he break it off, he returns with a fiance he seems afraid to touch and not terribly interested in, decides when she dies to be forever single and then finally hooks up with the ice queen... and all indicators declare she was his first. I was always hoping Thomas would seduce him. :)

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

Heh---a secretly gay Matthew would have made him more interesting :) 

A warped part of me wishes DA just would just give up on its various lame, disconnected storylines and embraced its destiny as an Agatha Christie-esque murder mystery, with each season providing new victims, suspects and clues. And I'm not talking about the embarrassingly awful Greene murder plot, but a true, old-fashioned country house murder mystery involving people we actually know and care about. There are a lot of DA characters I'd enjoy seeing play amateur sleuths---and no shortage of characters I'd like to see as murder victims :) 

(And I know that based on the above Gosford Park sounds like it should be one of my favorite movies ever, but I hold the UO of not being able to get into that film at all!) 

Agreed! I take it Captain America is Matthew...?! If so, as you can see from an above post, I feel the same way. I love that he brought out a softer side of Mary's character but never got a grasp on who he was---aside from being kind of blandly, generically perfect :)

Haha, I meant the actual Captain America (thus why it would be a completely different discussion). But I sort of feel the same way about Matthew. Which I suppose is strange, because I normally tend to prefer "bland" characters (Like Evelyn Napier, who I adore, etc.)

I liked Matthew/Mary, but I feel like it was more of a "caught up in the moment" sort of love I had for them, especially in season 2 (I definitely shrieked and cheered). Even while rewatching season 2, I find myself cheering for them, but I think now it's morphed mainly into me cheering for Mary finding happiness (she's my favorite character).

I appreciate Matthew for bringing out the softer side in Mary, and being Tom's friend. But Other than that...meh?

I think as I've gotten older the amazingness of Matthew and Mary has worn off a little and I've grown to appreciate other characters and relationships in Downton more than I used to.

• Love 2

Hey people, you are not supposed to write your opinions here that are completely popular. That's not fair! You must write your deepest, darkest thoughts here. Things you never dare to mention openly, because the other viewers will kill you!

Liking Isobel or being indifferent to Tom is not unpopular enough. Veto!!!

Out with it: What do you really think?

I have another one: I think Mrs Drewe is a lunatic and it's good that Edith gets the child away from her!

Oh, but then the next unpopular opinion: I think Edith will be a horrible mother (classical overprotective)

• Love 4

ZolofBob, I wasn't disagreeing with your thoughts on Matthew in my post. I totally agree that Matthew didn't seem to be particularly interested in women. I was frankly under the impression that he was close to being a thirty year old virgin by the time he and Mary finally got together.

He didn't even seem that interested in sex tbh. Mary and Lavinia both seemed more broken up about Matthew not being able to have a sexual life than Matthew did. When Mary had her operation and had to keep him at arm's length he seemed disappointed but not hugely so. He certainly wasn't going to suggest that there were other things they could do in the meantime.

• Love 1

I never thought the Mary/Matthew love story was believable.  She wasn't softened by him.  He was emasculated by her.  I don't miss him either.  I have never understood the unreasonable (to me) outrage when a character is killed off. 

I think Anna is boring.

I don't need a plot line with Cora having an affair.  And this may not be an unpopular opinion, but if Cora isn't deliberately inviting Bunting to dinner to see Robert lose it, she is even more clueless than I thought previously.

Maybe my most unpopular opinion is that I don't care that much for Violet.  Her withering remarks to everyone around her are getting old for me.  I prefer Isobel to the crotchety crone Violet .   And I do think Violet is trying to steer Isobel away from Lord Merton because she is simply jealous.,

• Love 2

I was frankly under the impression that he was close to being a thirty year old virgin by the time he and Mary finally got together.

And he was even older than 30. He was 36 when he died. So he was a 35 year old virgin.

Maybe my most unpopular opinion is that I don't care that much for Violet.  Her withering remarks to everyone around her are getting old for me.  I prefer Isobel to the crotchety crone Violet .   And I do think Violet is trying to steer Isobel away from Lord Merton because she is simply jealous.,

Haha, okay that IS brave. I think that is the bravest unpopular opinion we had here so far, isn't it?

• Love 2

LOL, really? Is it the accent? I don't find it (Anna) that hard to understand. I had problems with Jimmy and Alfred though.

I have a hard time understanding Daisy.

One of my unpopular opinions is that I freakin' love Mary, especially when she's at her bitchy best.  I also think Michelle Dockery is absolutely gorgeous.  Another is that I love the presence of Sarah Bunting and how she's not afraid to challenge Donk and seems to know how to push all of his buttons.

At this point in the show's history, and with bates apparently murdering someone every season, I actually don't want him and Anna to get a happy ending anymore. All these murder/jail story lines have finally gotten to me and I no longer care about Banna getting a happy ending.

I shipped Mary and William for half an episode (she seemed so nice to him when she told him about her mother).

The only people I want to get happy endings at this point are Mary, Moseley, Baxter, and Mr. Evelyn Napier...and Jack the jazz singer.

I think Mary and Sir Richard Carlisle WOULD have made a great match, just like he told her. Sure their marriage would have been devoid of all love, but they would have made an awesome power couple. Can you just imagine those two strutting down the street together?

I don't like Carson and Hughes together. Only as friends is it acceptable.

I've actually taken Carson's side with the whole Mrs. Pattmore/war memorial problem. I know it's a touchy matter, but I think she should just spill the truth to the villagers and be done with it. Whatever happens, happens. She'll always have friends at Downton (I don't know what to say about her sister's family though).

I liked Jack (I don't know how other people generally feel about him, but..) and wish he would appear again.

• Love 2

Another unpopular opinion:

I don't think that Mary's ability to attract suitors at her age after the war is unrealistic or fantasy on the part of Julian Fellowes.

The reason I feel this way is because of examples of real life aristocratic women who were living at the time. Women in their thirties who were still attractive to men, receiving proposals, having affairs, etc.

Mary has money, she has a courtesy title, and she's going to be able to put her feet up at Downton for at least the next twenty years or so. She's a catch especially for an aristocrat like Gillingham who wasn't able to hang on to his family's seat.

I know the argument is that Mary's suitors seem to be falling for her rather than her money and position but I don't even think that this is entirely true. Gillingham seems like he wants a very specific type and I don't think he would have seriously considered Mary had she not had money. It isn't purely about money for him otherwise he would have gone ahead and married MLF but I can't see Gillingham losing his head over some poor girl who happened to look like Mary. He seems like he wants to marry for practical reasons at the end of the day.

Blake for his part just doesn't seem that into Mary so for me it hardly feels like overkill. More and more he's coming across as friend and confidante. (And maybe shopping partner.)

Can Evelyn even be counted as a suitor at this point? He hasn't done one thing since season one to try to capture Mary's interest. We know that he thinks she's attractive but that doesn't necessarily make him a suitor.

• Love 4

I think Mary and Sir Richard Carlisle WOULD have made a great match, just like he told her. Sure their marriage would have been devoid of all love, but they would have made an awesome power couple. Can you just imagine those two strutting down the street together?

Yesterday, I was wishing Carlisle would come back -- Mary (and we) should be so lucky... but then I remembered how "badly" he took her rejection ... 

Edited by SusanSunflower
  • Love 1

I bet Richard Carlisle is dead by now: Unpopular opinion = I didn't find him one bit attractive and he looked totally old.

This is rapidly becoming my favourite thread. I had no idea I had so many unpopular opinions about the show.

And I didn't even know so many existed!! They're so funny!

But of course it NOT funny if you criticize my Tom. THAT of course just means that you must be blind, because I love him and he is wonderful.

But the rest is really funny! LOL

Edited by Andorra
I've actually taken Carson's side with the whole Mrs. Pattmore/war memorial problem. I know it's a touchy matter, but I think she should just spill the truth to the villagers and be done with it. Whatever happens, happens. She'll always have friends at Downton (I don't know what to say about her sister's family though).

I wouldn't say I've taken his side, but I DO get what he's saying despite not agreeing with it and definitely don't agree with the popular opinion that it's yet more evidence of Carson being a terrible human being. As I've said, though, I love Robert and Carson as characters despite disagreeing with them the majority of the time, in part because I think they're such believable representations of that particular era. And I see them both as fundamentally decent men despite their many salient flaws. 

I've touched on this, but my most UO is probably that I didn't especially like the widely revered S1. (In my experience, it's most people's favorite season!) It's not until S2 that I was truly hooked. 

Also, I'm not sure whether this is unpopular, but it may have been since she was an obstacle to Mary and Matthew---I absolutely loved Lavinia. 

• Love 1

Yesterday, I was wished Carlisle would come back -- Mary (and we) should be so lucky... but then I remembered how "badly" he took her rejection ...

I think their parting scene was one of my favorites though (after the rejection). She kinda apologized for stringing breaking their whole marriage deal. He calmly stated that it wouldn't stop him from going forward with printing the (true) rumors, because at the end of the day rumors sell, and it's him doing business. She completely understands, but didn't want them to part on such bad terms. I thought she showed a lot of maturity in that scene, unless i have remembered it completely wrong.

Amensisterfriend, you are much better at wordig things than I am. It's not that I am firmly on Carson's side, because it is a rather messy business, but his reasoning is completley understandable, and Mrs. Pattmore's attitude toward him (which is also completely understandable) is beginning to annoy me. It's almost like she's trying to make him out to be the bad guy, and I just don't think that that's fair.

I also adored Lavinia. She was a precious angel. I never liked how so many people (including some of the other show characters) disliked her due to getting in the way of the Matthew/Mary ship. She deserved better.

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Love 2

Gosh, didn't Lavinia somehow save Mary's bacon ... why yes she did ...  Yes, UO, I liked Lavinia and thought she'd be a much better match for Matthew ... oh -- is this an UO, I don't really "like" characters based on how relatively attractive they are, rather how "alive," interesting and stimulating they are. YMMV. Blake over Gillingham -- G's much more classically handsome.  Carlysle was a rotter, a real big-league moustache-twirler -- infintiely more dangerous than Thomas could ever be. Thomas is spoiled for me because of the absurdity of his still being employed much less allowed on the grounds. 

I had no idea Matthew was supposed to be 36 when he died.

So having fun with this Matthew idea--I'm thinking about his best man who got sick and wasn't able to attend the wedding. Broken heart?

I would have liked Carlisle more if he hadn't been so stiff and humorless. I definitely thought he was sexy though and that voice.

UO: I think they should recast the girls playing Marigold.

• Love 1