Type keyword(s) to search

Love, Lust Or Run - General Discussion

• Start Topic

For Stacy of all people to caw at the "too sexy" former stripper about her hair being too long was pretty rich. Among many other things.

Can't help but think that Clinton would have done this so much better. Stacy seems like she's going through the motions but actually doesn't give two shits. She's not nearly as comforting or understanding as Tim Gunn was on his body image makeover show, either.

Nothing here to keep me watching, I'm afraid.

Edited by lordonia

I like Stacy, but the show is boring. I used to like seeing the somewhat complete wardrobe that the makeover received on WNTW, and here we are seeing only one outfit, plus a few suggestions. I also am pretty convinced the candidates have upped the odd ball ante to be on the show. 

I dont' know if these woman will understand what type of clothing fits their bodies or how to shop. 

• Love 4

I love Stacy & was thrilled she was coming back on a fashion show, but I couldn't make it through the first episode.  These gals dress WAY too far out for me.  I much prefer normal women who just don't know how to dress, accessorize, etc..   I sure miss Clinton, Ted & Carmindy.  I miss WNTW!!  :( 

• Love 2

We were loyal WNTW watchers and are giving this a go. Since it is only 30 minutes, after watching 2 shows we are okay with it. Really - could watch the beginning to see what the candidate started as and then FF to see how she ended up. It may evolve. Or not

• Love 2

I just love to watch Stacy on TLC. I seen her new show on Friday, and would love to have her tell me what would look good on me. I would love to be on her show, so he could recommend what my body shape old look good wearing. Love what not to wear and your new show, love, lust or run!

Is it my TV or did Stacy's skin look kinda yellow?  I hope she's okay.

And I agree with whoever said above that she doesn't really seem to care about these people.  But then again she was always the sarcastic one on WNTW; Clinton was more sympathetic.

Not loving this show.

I like it ok. I liked WNTW but sometimes it was just too long and I'd get bored. I'm just getting confused, because a few episodes have 1 girl per episode and some are 2 girls. One thing they need to put away is that stupid virtual beauty bar. You'd think with all the technology in the world, they'd come out with something that wouldn't make you look like a clown when trying new colors or hair. So, it's even worse that this show is using one of those cheesy things. 

I also don't like a show with a purpose required to use the same formula. Don't say they have to clean up their look for a new job, etc. Just give them a new look.  I'm also not interested in people on the street's opinion on whether they'd love, lust or run. Like the first lady said (the trashy, stripper single mom), those guys are lying, saying they'd run. In real life, they'd totally be trying to hit on her.

• Love 4

First of all, this show has a ridiculous name. Poor Stacy. How did she get shoved into this clusterf***? This show is like "Worst Cooks in America" only for fashion. This show is going to get old really quickly and I doubt it lasts. Didn't Stacy try another solo show that lasted briefly? (Something focused on plus sizes?)

I like Stacy, but she really comes across better when she has a foil.

I remember on the WNTW board on TWoP, we had so many good ideas for other shows for Stacy. There were ideas for seasonal hair and makeup shows featuring Ted and Carmindy, how to dress your body in the latest fashion trends, etc. Useful, practical shows that people would actually watch. But, there is no shock value and that's what TLC lives and breathes. I'm surprised the network isn't having her dress clairvoyant little people with five husbands and 19 kids!

• Love 1

Amazing how pretty some of these women are when the old makeup is stripped off. It's also refreshing not to hear them whine and cry that mean old Stacey is making them do a new look. On another subject, does anyone know the designer/store of the fabulous shoes Barbie wore in her reveal?

• Love 3

I love Stacy but I feel like this show is too rushed and the makeover candidates too ridiculous to really appreciate the transformation.  The audience wants to see the process, not just a few psychological exchanges and then voila!  And why does TLC have to make everything into a sideshow?  I don't think they have to try so hard to find an audience here.  It's actually putting off more WNTW fans than attracting anyone.  I almost don't believe most of these women walk around like this in public.  And I'm from New York and I've seen everything, too.  The girl with the green hair and black lipstick?  Not believable, unless she only goes to strange clubs in that get up.  Plus not showing us any of the process involved in hair and makeup choices except for that stupid beauty bar is less than satisfying. 

It looks to me like they were going for the "10 Years Younger" format by taking to the street for opinions, but it's already gotten predictable, and that guy who says "I'd take her for a night" - Seriously?  He says that for every one in just exactly the same way.  I think it's the same clip.  I call foul on that one.

That said, there were a couple of "enhanced episodes" shown of the first two episodes.  They were a little better and not as rushed feeling, but still, I think this show needs a lot of tweaking to save it.  I feel for Stacy.  I get the feeling she had to give in to the stupidity in order to get back on TLC.

• Love 3

A place to discuss particular episodes, arcs and moments from the show's run. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for character topics and other places for show-related talk.

First I will start by saying I am a Stacy London fan. I would love to be made over by her. She's a funny lady, has excellent taste, and knows what she's doing.

But this show is all wrong. The big production of taking off the old look, the two minute armchair psychoanalysis, the cheesy makeover software, the man-on-the-street interviews...it's all bad. And boring. This is definitely a DVR show. Watch the first two minutes to see the "before," then fast forward directly to the big reveal. What happens in between is just not worth my time.

I hate hate hate the name of this show. It has bothered me since it was first announced.  It is a horrible name for a makeover show. First, because it doesn't give any indication what the show is about. Second, because it asks a question the audience already knows the answer to. The pre-makeover look is bad/repellant/scary/tacky/etc. The post-makeover look is tasteful/attractive/etc. Obviously the women on the show know there's an issue with their look, or they wouldn't have volunteered to be on the show.  It's not like the poll results tell them anything they didn't already know or at least suspect. So what's the point of the poll?  Stacy's is the only opinion that matters and the only one we need to hear or care about.

The only thing I really love about the show is Stacy's multiple looks in the opening credits.

• Love 10

This show is awful! Terrible formula show with NO content whatsoever. Hate it! 18 minutes and the rest is commercials. One outfit. Crying weepy girl. Happy thrilled girl at the end. YAWN.  Everyone wants to RUN and then everyone LOVEs and 2 guys LUST..same old same old..phony comments. They are phoning this stuff in for real. Stacey London should be ashamed but I guess she is getting a big paycheck.

Edited by Bellalisa
  • Love 1

This show is like a bad hybrid of "How Do I Look?" and "Ten Years Younger." And not to mention WNTW.

So many inconsistencies. Why do some candidates get the beauty bar and others don't? Some candidates have wardrobe choices already selected, while others go shopping with Stacy.

• Love 1

I remember on the WNTW board on TWoP, we had so many good ideas for other shows for Stacy. There were ideas for seasonal hair and makeup shows featuring Ted and Carmindy, how to dress your body in the latest fashion trends, etc. Useful, practical shows that people would actually watch.

I remember those as well, and they all have far more promise than this show. THOSE shows I'd watch. This? I watched one episode and have no desire to give it a second shot, and I'm someone who really likes Stacy. 

I checked her IMDB profile and she's already had two talk shows (both in 2007). (Interestingly, she was also part of a documentary series entitled "Love Lust" in 2011-2012, described as "A fun and surprising look at the back stories of the most iconic products of our time." Never heard of it.) She can be very engaging in the right format, but they haven't found it yet.

I'm surprised the network isn't having her dress clairvoyant little people with five husbands and 19 kids!

Don't give them any ideas!

Chiming in to agree, this show is absolutely terrible.  From the ridiculously contrived get-ups on the candidates to the silliness of seeing a self-nominated famewhore expressing distrust of Stacy and the process while preening for the camera.  Good Lord, they wanted to be on the show, they contacted production and the entire experience involves wearing a single new outfit, toned down makeup and restyled hair on a TV show for a few minutes. How can anyone freak out over a temporary change that they asked for themselves?  Contrived, contrived, contrived. There is nothing at risk here, from what I've seen, the changes to their hair are easily reversible and the makeup and the outfit need never be seen again afterwards.  The stakes on the show are virtually nonexistent and I don't think for a moment that the clown costumes we see at the beginning are representative of anything other than the very extreme fringe of their wardrobes; probably constructed solely for the show.  The man on the street interviews add nothing to the proceedings.  Deleted from the DVR.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 4

I noticed that Stacy is the executive producer of this show. Surely this concept wasn't her idea? Please, no!

Aside from this show, what does Stacy do otherwise? I don't see her on Macy's commercials (or any commercials) anymore. I also never hear of her styling any celebrities. If she does, then it's very under the radar. I'm just curious.

Saw a rerun last night.  Other than being super jealous of "Skittles" (really?) getting to shop at Alice and Olivia, it was nothing to write home about.  It's pretty much a melting pot of past makeover shows.  And while I like Stacy, she doesn't have anyone to play off of. 

I feel for Stacy.  Having lost Clinton to "The Chew" she is trying to come back with what she does best, only this show is not the best vehicle for her to do that.  The ratings have quickly slipped from .5 to .3 so I fear it won't be long before it's gone, which is regrettable because her fans need Stacy in a better show.  Now I see promos for a new fashion show with a new male/female pair.  Let's see how TLC messes this one up too.

• Love 4

Poor Stacy. I like her so much but this thing is soooo contrived.

And what is UP with the lighting? Or maybe I mean the makeup. In the episode with the 50-something punk rocker, the participant was YELLOW. So was Stacy, but the punk rocker was freaky yellow. At the big reveal at the end she put her hand up to her face and her hand was normal-colored but her face was yellow. Who is doing the makeup???? Maybe yellow is Pantone's Face Color of 2015 and nobody told me.

• Love 3

I've noticed that so far all of the women have really slammin' bodies, even the 54-year-old. Let's get someone in there who's a plus size dressing in either too tight or overly-sized clothes.

Yeah, I don't hold out much hope for this lasting beyond a few more episodes.

• Love 1

Oh geez I really wanted to like this show but it just seems like a poor man's version of What Not To Wear.  I really wanted to like this because I'm a fan of Stacey London and I like watching makeovers from a bizarre extreme (punk rocker, stripper, etc.) but this is just kinda dull.  I miss Clinton =(

The man on the street interviews add nothing to the proceedings.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that--boy that is just a terrible idea.  So we need some jerk off dude's opinion to validate a woman's beauty?  I mean I get that all these women need a makeover but this lets ask a stranger off the streets b.s., IDK it just seems to like Stacey & the lady getting the makeover opinion isn't enough we have to ask these people who don't even know her...

Edited by Dirtybubble

So every woman so far is either dressed like a stripper or a clown (or both), and when they inevitably get negative comments, EVERY SINGLE ONE says, I don't care what people think. Bullshit, and I wish Stacy would call them out on it more. You dress like that to get a reaction out of people. It's a costume. You don't spend hours on these looks because you're confident in who you are.

I agree that I love Stacy, but not this show.

Adding a Brooklyn accent to a helium voice at high volume makes me want to poke my eardrums with a sharp stick.

• Love 5

Adding a Brooklyn accent to a helium voice at high volume makes me want to poke my eardrums with a sharp stick.

Jesus Christ and she's engaged. How can someone listen to that voice all day?

• Love 2

This times infinity.

Where are they finding all these costumed poseurs? This show is doing Stacey no favors. Who wants to watch these losers? 

• Love 1

It's so fake that when the older punk lady wrote and sang that song at the end to Stacy, she still had on the same clothes, hair and makeup from her makeover. They were trying to make it look like some time had passed, but you could tell that wasn't the case.

I  guess I am kinda the odd man out... I actually like the show. Love seeing the makeovers at the end; some were pretty dramatic. The rocker lady actually looked so much better after her makeover, sad that she did not think so. Have to admit... I don't care the street opinions though.

• Love 1

The changes are certainly dramatic but I really have serious doubts that those people dress like that in public.  One of the early ones had shots of her out with her boyfriend so I guess that might be somewhat realistic but the rest of them?  I have never in my life seen anything like them, no time, no way. They have to be costumes designed to get them on the show for a free makeover.

And if they DO dress that way, I also doubt the change would "stick".  They get their jollies out of the attention they would get dressed like morons.  The makeover made them look like everybody else.  Nothing to see here, move along.....

Chiming in to say that I've notice a couple "on the street opinion," repeats. The girl with curly blue hair, one effusive "I would loooove her," guy and an older woman. My guess is these  folks were told about the contestants (sight unseen) and then told what to say. They've reused a couple of opinions verbatim. Usually about the contestant dressing for her shape/exuding confidence. Nothing specific about the outfit or accessories.

It's been mentioned by a couple astute people here, but the "Lust" component of this show really bugs me. It's not a woman's problem if a guy "lusts" after her based on what she's wearing. That is clearly the guy's issue and he should divert his attention if it's not appropriate - and from a stranger on the street it isn't.  Also, the fact that only female contestants are chosen bugs. Guys care about style, and some are terrible at it! They deserve to be held up to some kind of standard, if women are as well.

Before watching I interpreted the "lust" as "I want to/would wear that too!" I was wrong.

Edited by AltLivia
  • Love 1

I think I'm done with this show, even though I've always enjoyed Stacy London's approach to styling. As others have said, I simply cannot imagine these women are anything other than fake. The styles are so exaggerated and over-the-top, it's actually irritating. Who are these morons in clown makeup who appear on the show wearing spiked dog collars and exposing their boobs down to the nipples, while claiming that they want to be appropriately dressed role models for their young daughters, or to apply for professional jobs? "Oh, I know this isn't the best look but I have nooo idea how to change!"  Right.

• Love 3

I was really moved by the woman on tonight's show. I can see how she was using the look as a gigantic front to misdirect attention from the insecurities she felt from her self esteem / eating disorder issues. I think tonight's was a good example of how Stacey can get a participant to look beyond the "front" they're putting up and see that there truly is some amazing beauty underneath. Her speechless response seemed incredibly heartfelt and I was moved by it. She really seemed impacted to see herself in this new way.

I wish Stacey could do that for so many women out there who struggle with self esteem issues, myself included. It's all too easy to tell someone else "you're beautiful," but not see it in yourself.

• Love 7

The name of this show is terrible. I mean, your choices to opine about someone's style to love her, lust for her or run from her? How about judging the style and not the woman? And how about judging it as fun, weird, chic, professional, childish, slutty, or whatever?

The makeovers themselves are good, but I also have trouble believing that these people walk around in public or to thei children's schools looking like that.

Having watched "Style by Jury" I think that's a better show than Stacy's unfortunately, and that's still not as good as "What Not to Wear".  It's a half hour show but they manage to make it feel less rushed than "Love Lust or Run" and put more in there about fashion shoices, hair and makeup.  Stacy's show is just so one-note.  Every candidate is a clown character.  She says the same things to them, they say the same things back.  They're all morphing together and it's become extremely repetitive and boring.  I agree with those who've said that they don't all dress like that all the time.  In fact, I'm beginning to suspect that someone from the show works with them to make them look as ridiculous as they can when they walk in the door.  The looks are starting to look similar, like they were created by the same hand.  So it's no wonder that the show seems the same every week.  I really doubt this will be back and I hate that because I love Stacy.

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 1

One thing they need to put away is that stupid virtual beauty bar. You'd think with all the technology in the world, they'd come out with something that wouldn't make you look like a clown when trying new colors or hair ...

I'm also not interested in people on the street's opinion on whether they'd love, lust or run. Like the first lady said (the trashy, stripper single mom), those guys are lying, saying they'd run. In real life, they'd totally be trying to hit on her.

The virtual beauty bar has got to go. Maybe the women don't look ridiculous there in the studio, but it doesn't translate well on TV! When Stacy says something like, "Oh, now that's a pretty colour on your lips" - and what I see is radioactive Joker-pink  - I always think she's being sarcastic, until I realize she's not. Bizarre.

The people on the street is another fakey-fake feature of this show. They're obviously hired actors and not random pedestrians. How else do they get the "after" opinions just minutes after the makeovers are completed? They get the opinions before the Big Reveal, so it has to be done on the spot with the hired actors at the ready (with scripted lines).

Why did they cancel WNTW? It was very popular, and Stacy and Clinton had such great chemistry. Couldn't he do The Chew and WNTW at the same time?

Edited by deedee2
  • Love 2

This show is a knock-off of the British show "Snog Marry Avoid?".  I have no idea whether TLC's version is any better than the original it copied.  I would hope so.

I think Stacy London has some sort of development deal with TLC.  I recall a quickly-canceled talk show (Fashionably Late with Stacy London) that she hosted on TLC. She was also the executive producer of something called Big Brooklyn Style, also on TLC.  I think TLC decided to remake the British show to give Stacy a show more in alignment with WNTW as well as her other ongoing work in the area of fashion. 

The minute I started watching "Love, Lust, or Run", I thought it seemed a combination of "How Do I Look" and "Ten Years Younger". 

"How Do I Look", "Ten Years Younger". and WNTW showed actual makeovers and clothes shopping which is the only reason that I ever watched any of them.  Also, those shows seemed to feature only women with self-esteem issues and/or women who had overcome major problems in their lives (i.e.: illness, obesity, etc.). "Love, Lust, or Run" seems to focus less on the pathos and less on the process of the makeover as opposed to the end result.

I tried to watch it a couple of times, but I couldn't stay interested in it.  IMO, "Style By Jury" is even worse. 

I wish they had done this show with less circus-like women. I mean really? Do they advertise for freaks? Has anyone seen the audition info for this show?? Or do they just wander the streets of NY?

This orange-haired woman is the most "normal" so far...and still pretty off the wall.

Guess they're combining episodes now? Trying to use the rest of the episodes up? The one tonight was horrible. You see 5 minutes and then bam. Here she is made over.

I wish this show talked more about ways to assemble outfits for different occasions, but each overall style theme had one episode. So, like animal prints? Show me how to wear them different seasons casually, for nights out, and work. Same for lots of bright colors, punk, etc.

Why did they cancel WNTW? It was very popular, and Stacy and Clinton had such great chemistry. Couldn't he do The Chew and WNTW at the same time?

"The Chew" is a daily show which would probably be hard to combine with another series as intensive as WNTW.  WNTW was not cancelled - It was unclear why the show ended but I had the feeling that Clinton was ready to move on and "The Chew" was his big break into network TV.

Guess they're combining episodes now? Trying to use the rest of the episodes up? The one tonight was horrible. You see 5 minutes and then bam. Here she is made over.

They have already done that once earlier in the season.  I don't know why they're taking an already too-short show and making it even shorter in some episodes.  We want to see more, not less.  If I want to see nothing but "before" and "after" photos I can scroll through some on the internet.  I don't need to waste my time watching a TV show for that.

• Love 1

Oh ok. Yes, I agree. I'm so disappointed in this show. I always like makeovers, so I'll keep watching. But, I want more tips! Or, even more information. For example, tell me about the hair. If it's colored hair, what would someone say to their hairdresser to get the same color? What do you call that cut? Why does it flatter their face? Whom would it not look good on?

Tonight, I like that Stacey told the one woman to have her sweater hit above her hips, so her legs didn't look stumpy. Things like that I like to know.

Edited by Betweenyouandme
  • Love 1
(edited)

This should be an hour long, with one person, showing more "how to"'s and hair and makeup.

ETA: I love the man on the street interviews that Stacey does.

Edited by PityFree

I did enjoy this show for what it was - surely it wasn't WNTW.  The singer's singing was awful but she turned out much nicer looking.  I doubt Stacy will ever have to style her for her Grammy nomination.  

• Love 1

Lately she's been a guest host on The View.  If she would just not be so animated I would like her in that role.  What she says usually makes good sense but the hands waving, big smile, overdone facial expressions, etc. don't translate well in my opinion.

Okay, i'm around that same age as a lot of the women Stacey makes over (especially quite a few of the Goth-styled ones) and the 'man-on-the-street' section? Where everyone, even the ones around the contestant's age, are freaking out about her clothing?

At my school -and this was in a suburb of DC- Goth style was seen everywhere (90% of my friends group in high school fell into it actually).