Type keyword(s) to search

The Spencers: Foiling Plans for World Domination Since the 80s

• Start Topic

but why did Dante immediately jump to thinking Lulu and Jar of Mayo, of all people, would be having an affair? It wasn't just Valerie pushing that idea that did it.

I think the answer is two-fold.

1) Dante and Lulu once had a talk (when Julie was in the role) about pregnancy/babies, where she told him she had a crush on Dillon in h.s., lost her virginity to him, got pregnant, and had an abortion. So Dante knows that Lulu once had feelings for Dillon, was acting odd (turned out to be because of family worries), went off to Canada with him.

2) Lulu loves and trusts Tracy, her dad's on-again, off-again wife. Lulu and Dillon have a bond via their parents' history. Seems like Lulu trusts him partly because of that. He knew her from before she was married to Dante. The writing for Lulu since this actress took over has been focused almost exclusively on Lulu's relationship with Dante, and babiesbabiesbabies. The Spencer/individual in her was squelched for storyline purposes, including because her two non-Cassadine brothers have been off the canvas 98% of the time, Luke was MIA so often, and Laura living in PC is a recent development. So Dillon being around reminds her of when she was a 'young, free Spencer woman.' *RME*

I get the history between Lulu and Dillon, but it was years ago. They were teenagers (or very early twenties). If you think every past love is going to be a threat, you're never going to have a decent relationship. Dante and Lulu were absolutely devoted to each other, and that's why Dante thinking "affair!" so quickly never worked for me. It was too manufactured.

• Love 5

And Dillon was a high school crush/ONS and I think her crush on him was more about wanting what he and Georgie had together than about Dillon as a person.

If this story was ever going to make even a lick of sense, it needed to be Johnny - she had a significant, long-term relationship with him and the actors actually have chem together.

This garbage with Mayo was RC trashing a well-established GH character to tie one of his newbie underwear models to a popular female character instead of developing them with good writing and an interesting backstory

• Love 5

I agree with you all that Johnny is an *actual* threat. The writing for Dante to leap to the "Lulu and Dillon are having an affair" conclusion was definitely weak, but it wasn't completely without merit due to their history *and* Dillon's behavior toward Lulu at that time. Dillon was close to Lulu pretty much every chance he got, was discouraging Lulu from leaning on/calling her husband, was in on supporting her worst impulses (which Lulu knew Dante would not do - she acknowledged that today), designated himself her great protector (when Dante's the one with actual protector skills), etc. Dante was aware of *a* secret w/Dillon, that she wasn't sharing w/him.  When even Morgan picks up on the vibe that Dillon wants Lulu for himself....c'mon. Dillon was just not as openly manipulative in wanting Lulu as Val was with Dante - and he didn't have a dead parent card to play. Dante was stunned to find that Lulu had been *in* a hotel room with a guy she'd once slept with, and had a massive overreaction....but he wasn't wrong not to trust Dillon's intentions.  Both Dillon and Val were being inappropriate with/toward Lulu and Dante and knew it, they just. didn't. care.  All that being said, doesn't excuse Dante from sleeping with Val. 

• Love 1
(edited)
She wasn't seen as wrong by whom?  The writers?  Some viewers?  Both? 

The other characters, so the writers are to blame basically.

Yeah, the writers, in this case specifically Shelly Altman and Jean Passanante. Halloween/the reveal is when the story took a 180. You had Valerie showing up at the loft the next day declaring to that she was "tired of apologizing" (huh????). You had Dante just standing there. They gave us that scene with Bobbie where she declared "but that's what us Spencer girls do" or whatever it was. And that scene was just bizarre because not only does she not mention Lulu, she's cool with Dante switching to Valerie after several years of being with Lulu? What aunt would feel that Dante's feelings were sincere and that this man was a good partner for either niece at that point? Yet she didn't mention him significantly at all in the conversation.

Then there was the scene with Olivia, where she spots them in the loft and she yells at them. Okay. But then Olivia has another confrontation with Valerie and Valerie has the last word saying, "maybe Dante lied because you lied about your children's fathers and he learned by example." imo, that's a clear message from the writers saying once again, "Yeah, Dante and Valerie lied (and cheated) but others caused them to do so". I mean, that doesn't even make any sense. "My mom lied about my paternity so I should lie about cheating on my wife"? That was in no way even implied when Ron was writing and it was an absurd addition by JP/SA. 

Then there was the scene where Lulu hacked into Dante's e-mail and Dante was talking about how could he live with this over-the-top paranoia and Valerie declaring to Maxie I think it was that she was just thanking Dante for the good stake-out and how dare they misinterpret that. 

And then you had Johnny summing up her personality and it was basically lost lonely girl etc etc. Even the villain of the piece (maybe villain is too strong a word, given the last scene Johnny had - the troublemaker? The man with no compulsions?) was talking about how Valerie was basically innocent. Which, yes, she made a mistake and under Ron she was sympathetic.

And then Laura wasn't even allowed to have a scene with Valerie and say anything to her. Although that could just be GH incompetence and not the writers purposefully keeping Valerie and Laura away from each other.

(and don't get me wrong, I also think in addition to Valerie, there should have been confrontations between Dante and Laura, Nikolas, etc. Dante also needed to be called out. More so than Valerie.)

Ron had the story fine (well, relatively). Lulu lied, it led to misunderstandings and one night stand, Dante and Valerie were remorseful. Then JP/SA made it into, "Lulu lied, so they slept together, now she knows, and she's being so hard and unforgiving for all of a month, so it's understandable that Valerie and Dante sleep together again and start to date and now Lulu is sending a mobster after Valerie and that's worse than anything Valerie has done, especially when she's just trying to build up her life."

They had Lulu send Johnny after Valerie to make Dante and Valerie dating look okay and that's why, imo, most of the audience hated it and Valerie and Dante. Now, could it have been a complicated ploy by the writers to make Lulu look more sympathetic? Possibly, but I don't think so. I think they were just that incompetent. 

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 5

I think Lulu nearly drowning was her redemption, but of course it was overtaken by Dante playing hero (i.e., doing what any cop/decent person would do) and dragging her out of the water.

Ugh. The story got so terrible once JP/SA took over. The nerve of Lulu not instantly forgiving her husband and newly met cousin for sleeping together!

• Love 3

I think Lulu nearly drowning was her redemption, but of course it was overtaken by Dante playing hero (i.e., doing what any cop/decent person would do) and dragging her out of the water.

Another ridiculously simple plot twist. Fast forward 15 years later, if he hadn't saved Lulu: "Well son, your mom drowned and that's how she died. I suspected she was in danger, but I didn't go to her aid because hey, we were in the process of divorcing, so it would have been awkward to search the boat that night. Oops!"

• Love 6

Ugh. The story got so terrible once JP/SA took over. The nerve of Lulu not instantly forgiving her husband and newly met cousin for sleeping together!

I think it was already terrible, it just got worse. The ONS and everything leading up to it required Dante to be such a stupid scumbag

• Love 1

It was bad, but if I squinted I could kinda see how it came about. He was drunk and mad and sad. But, "how long was I supposed to wait?" No. Just no. I wanted to reach through the screen and pop out his eyeballs.

• Love 7

Eh. He was married and he slept with a fairly vulnerable woman who constantly talked about losing her only family. There are no non-douchebags here.

I still can't believe they didn't do Valerie/Dillon and (at least temporarily) Johnny/Lulu

(edited)

They both suck. But IMO, the person who isn't drunk should be held to a higher standard when it comes to deciding whether to sleep with someone who is drunk.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 2
(edited)

They both suck. But IMO, the person who isn't drunk should be held to a higher standard when it comes to deciding whether to sleep with someone who is drunk.

Agreed - but he was Jason SOS drunk, he wasn't falling down or incoherent. Dabte was lucid enough to choose to do a shitty thing, I don't think drinking really grants him any excuses here - especially since he made the same shitty choice dead sober

Edited by Oracle42
Was this always the end goal – a way to give a couple known derisively in some places as “paper-cuts” serious angst before an inevitable happy reunion after working through “problems” to make them “stronger”?  And was Valerie sacrificed by having drawn the short straw to be the truth teller to keep alive the themes on which to base this rebuild?

Lulu and Dante were due for some sort of major drama, and while Valerie was probably created to give them that, I think the writers also wanted her to be her own person outside of that. IMO, they didn't make her sympathetic enough as an interloper, and they'd given her enough for her to be that. Her sick mom was terrorized by Fluke and then died. They should have given Valerie more than she has a sadz because July 4 was her dead mom's favorite holiday. (Which, jigga whaaa?) We should have seen Valerie struggle more with her mom's death and establishing relationships with her new family, but the show idiotically decided to have her pant after Dante and get self-righteous in the worst way. The show pushed the "Dante slept with Lulu's cousin" line pretty heavily, but given how little we knew about Valerie and the minimal interaction she had with Bobbie, especially, Valerie might as well have been some random person Dante met at the Floating Rib.

That's one reason I hate everyone being connected. That connection in and of itself doesn't automatically anchor someone to the canvas. The writers still have to work those connections for them to mean anything.

• Love 6

Lulu and Dante were due for some sort of major drama, and while Valerie was probably created to give them that, I think the writers also wanted her to be her own person outside of that. IMO, they didn't make her sympathetic enough as an interloper, and they'd given her enough for her to be that. Her sick mom was terrorized by Fluke and then died. They should have given Valerie more than she has a sadz because July 4 was her dead mom's favorite holiday. (Which, jigga whaaa?) We should have seen Valerie struggle more with her mom's death and establishing relationships with her new family, but the show idiotically decided to have her pant after Dante and get self-righteous in the worst way. The show pushed the "Dante slept with Lulu's cousin" line pretty heavily, but given how little we knew about Valerie and the minimal interaction she had with Bobbie, especially, Valerie might as well have been some random person Dante met at the Floating Rib.

That's one reason I hate everyone being connected. That connection in and of itself doesn't automatically anchor someone to the canvas. The writers still have to work those connections for them to mean anything.

Atlhough my words are quoted in a couple of these posts, I didn't know the conversation had resumed here, so I'm behind in responding.  Long story short:  I really don't think there was any real intent to  establish Valerie as an independent character – and for the very reasons you give in this post. 

Yes, those opportunities were present to develop Valerie as an independent character before throwing her in the Lante mess – if the writers still wanted to do so after establishing her (along with Dante) as Luke’s victim … and after having her share her grief process with other family members. 

But the writers did NOT do this – and I maintain that this was because Valerie was NEVER the story – that she was always intended to be only the catalyst for the Lante story – and that one of her roles was to be the truth-teller who would keep Lulu’s lie and the shared-blame theme on the table – until Dante and Lulu were in their present story position where this shared blame and the cracks in the relationship would be used in the inevitable rebuilding process.

Regardless, a terribly told story for all three involved.  A story which, even as a dreaded third party story, would have made more sense and been fairer to all three characters had Valerie been better developed.

Agreed - but he was Jason SOS drunk, he wasn't falling down or incoherent. Dabte was lucid enough to choose to do a shitty thing, I don't think drinking really grants him any excuses here - especially since he made the same shitty choice dead sober

Not only did he make the same  choice dead sober, he was the one who stopped Valerie when she tried to walk away in the park just before Christmas - the one who then continued to make NYE plans with her and to look in her eyes (AGAIN!) telling her there could be something special between them. 

• Love 1

The problem is, I don't think the audience needed a truth teller in this situation. Yes, if she had been blaming Dante for cheating 2, 3 months and never bringing up her own faults a truth-teller might be needed then, or if Dante had been begging Lulu and shunning Valerie and Lulu still didn't bring up her own fault. Instead he was making dates with her and Valerie was still bringing up the lies, like, obviously she's not that sorry if she's benefiting from those lies. Like the blog Despair in the Afternoon said/joked, "well, my wife lied about where she was going for the weekend, I gotta cheat!"

Also, Lulu had been saying "I shouldn't've lied" over and over when she thought it was just one! kiss! (I loved being slammed in the head with that phrase.) So that didn't help it either later when Valerie and Dante were acting like she never took responsibility for her own actions.

It's not like Lulu was constantly lying, it was a one time thing, under duress. Problematic, sure, but in no way even remotely justifying Dante having sex in their bed with another woman, which is why Dante lied about it in the first place, because he knew that.

Now, if Lulu had been a verbally abusive wife or something, not affectionate, cold, for months, than sure, Valerie and Dante could bring up "but Lulu did ______" not long after she found out about the cheating and/or that would make their cheating a lot more understandable.

Like I said above, it would have helped if Valerie talked about Lulu lying if she weren't actually making date with Dante (or Dante weren't making dates with her, take your pick) at the same time.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 6

Atlhough my words are quoted in a couple of these posts, I didn't know the conversation had resumed here, so I'm behind in responding.  Long story short:  I really don't think there was any real intent to  establish Valerie as an independent character – and for the very reasons you give in this post.

I don't think Ron had any intention of it, but I do think SA/JP wanted Valerie and Dante to date awhile. But because they are incompetent, they did it horribly, there was backlash, and even Frank Valentini, if it doesn't have to do with Roger Howarth and Michelle Stafford, will once in a while cut something that isn't working.

• Love 3

The problem is, I don't think the audience needed a truth teller in this situation. Yes, if she had been blaming Dante for cheating 2, 3 months and never bringing up her own faults, or yes, one would be needed, if Dante had been begging Lulu and shunning Valerie and Lulu still didn't bring up her own fault. Instead he was making dates with her and Valerie was still bringing up the lies, like, obviously she's not that sorry if she's benefiting from those lies. Like the blog Despair in the Afternoon said/joked, "well, my wife lied about where she was going for the weekend, I gotta cheat!"

Also, Lulu had been saying "I shouldn't've lied" over and over when she thing it was just one! kiss! (I loved being slammed in the head with that phrase.) So that didn't help it either later when Valerie and Dante were acting like she never took responsibility for her own actions.

It's not like Lulu was constantly lying, it was a one time thing, under duress. Problematic, sure, but in no way even remotely justifying Dante having sex in their bed with another woman, which is why Dante lied about it in the first place, because he knew that.

Now, if Lulu had been a verbally abusive wife or something, not affectionate, cold, for months, than sure, Valerie and Dante could bring up "but Lulu did ______" not long after she found out about the cheating and/or that would make their cheating a lot more understandable.

Like I said above, it would have helped if Valerie talked about Lulu lying if she weren't actually making (or Dante weren't making dates with her, take your pick) at the same time.

Of course, it didn't make sense!   That's the way the whole story has been told.   But that doesn't change the way in which the "truths" Valerie kept telling  are now being used in the rushed Lante divorce/rebuilidng process.  The supposed "truths" being the initial lie ...  the MUTUAL breakdown in trust  ... ALL three of them making mistakes ... Lulu's bad decision in presented Dante with signed separation papers ... Lulu's sending Dante mixed messages. 

And, yes, Valerie was put on the firing line because the rationale for these supposed "truths" wasn't established, making Valerie the  loser in the court of public opinion. 

I don't think Ron had any intention of it, but I do think SA/JP wanted Valerie and Dante to date awhile. But because they are incompetent, they did it horribly, there was backlash, and even Frank Valentini, if it doesn't have to do with Roger Howarth and Michelle Stafford, will once in a while cut something that isn't working.

I do think SA and JP may have had plans to prolong the dating period, but I do think the end result was always planned to be the same thing - a Lante reconciliation with both acknowledging "mistakes" each was supposed to have made in the course of the story - the mistakes Valerie kept being used to keep on the table.

I do think fan outcry likely made a difference, but do you think this rushed ending and change is good overall for the characters involved?   I think it may have damaged Valerie even more ; and, more importantly for those Lante fans who wanted this reunion so much, I think the ridiculously rushed and plot-pointed break-up, divorce and rebuliding isn't doing the couple any favors.  As someone said elsewhere, this current writing makes Lante look like a parody of a soap couple.  

And so far Dante sure isn't looking too great.  In fact, the rush on Tuesday for him to bed Lulu made him look rather skeevy.   Of course, it was all a plot point, so fans could get their wish that Dante and Lulu NOT make love on "that" bed and that they make plans to move from the loft.   IU can see Frank ticking off the checklist. 

The way this story is currently playing isn't much better than the rushed series of contrived plot points that created the mess in the first place.  I hope it gets better. 

Edited by Aurora2

I do think SA and JP may have had plans to prolong the dating period, but I do think the end result was always planned to be the same thing - a Lante reconciliation with both acknowledging "mistakes" each was supposed to have made in the course of the story - the mistakes Valerie kept being used to keep on the table.

I do think the writing would have ended up reuniting Dante and Lulu eventually, most likely, although I can imagine they thought maybe they would continue it longer than planned if people liked Valerie/Dante. But I do think they tried to make Valerie sympathetic, as opposed to Ron, who I think was just going to make her pregnant and then unhinged from losing the baby.

I do think fan outcry likely made a difference, but do you think this rushed ending and change is good overall for the characters involved?

I do think stopping the Valerie/Dante dating was good for the characters; the rushed reunion, no. It makes Lulu look pathetic and Dante like a sleaze, like you said.

Lulu's bad decision in presented Dante with signed separation papers

That was another problem with the story. Dante should have been the one to react more maturely about it - Lulu was the one who was in throes of emotional upheaval. Her serving those papers was like when he was ready to throw her out of the house post Canada. He was distressed too, but she had just caught him with Valerie's head on his shoulder and before that her lipstick on his collar cause they hugged. His reaction should have been, "I will not touch or hug or interact with Valerie except on a strictly professional level" if he actually wanted his marriage to work, "not, damn, she served me up separation papers must mean she is done even though I have not given her any concrete evidence that it's over with Valerie."

It's the whole problem with the story. Lulu makes these relatively minor mistakes and Dante makes huge ones in return and the writers expect us to see them as equally at fault. Using Johnny was a huge mistake yes, but the audience already saw through that ploy to make Dante sympathetic.

And unfortunately I don't think Dante will ever really be recovered from this, since JP/SA will probably write Lulu/Dante with a more of the dynamic we've been seeing throughout this story, "me husband you wife" type of bent. To quote someone in the main thread, they've done such a hatchet job on Dante they could kill him off tomorrow, and probably nobody would care.

It's unfortunate they've set up the kind of story where Dante should be groveling to her, because most of the relationship he has been the one doing the chasing, but that's what they've set up. 

But there's also the part where Valerie and Dante were growing close. They need to have Dante address the fact that Lulu saw all these close moments. He needs to address whether he a) did have feelings and b) if he didn't have real feelings, if it was just lust mixed with liking/pity, then he took advantage of Valerie to get back at Lulu and he needs to admit to that too. Unfortunately they seem determined to paint it like Lulu pushed Dante into bed with Valerie. They also have not had Dante talk about (or Lulu call him out on) how harsh he was when she came back from the trip.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 7

I'm sorry! Have a nice picture of Dante and Lulu

(for putting a certain picture in the main thread)

CATV8_20111230_142611-vi_zpsb7107586.jpg

Much better.  (As long as I don't think about what's been done to them...) 

• Love 3

Now I feel like watching Scrubs and Lante later.

ahaha mission complete

JMB really blossomed in looks her last year on the show. I never really thought she was beautiful until then

• Love 1

ahaha mission complete

JMB really blossomed in looks her last year on the show. I never really thought she was beautiful until then

Damn you, I'm so weak. But I've been wanting to watch some 2010 Scrubs/Lante, so ha!

I think they styled JMB really well at the end, too.

• Love 1

A few people were talking about Lante and therapy on the main thread earlier and I think if the show doesn't want to show them in actual sessions, they should go the Scrubs 2011 route and have Lante just discuss what they talked about in therapy. I really think it's important for the writers to show them working on the marriage and not just acting all lalalala.

Also, the fans will miss out on some great scenes, IMO. I know most probs just want to see the kissing stuff, but that's not my style. I like the deep, emotional stuff. Scrubs actually had a great therapy session together during Robin's PPD where they were both crying, etc. I dunno. I like that stuff.

• Love 1
(edited)

A few people were talking about Lante and therapy on the main thread earlier and I think if the show doesn't want to show them in actual sessions, they should go the Scrubs 2011 route and have Lante just discuss what they talked about in therapy. I really think it's important for the writers to show them working on the marriage and not just acting all lalalala.

Also, the fans will miss out on some great scenes, IMO. I know most probs just want to see the kissing stuff, but that's not my style. I like the deep, emotional stuff. Scrubs actually had a great therapy session together during Robin's PPD where they were both crying, etc. I dunno. I like that stuff.

I was just talking with someone about how some fans were jealous of Jason/Sam's love scene but I would be pissed if Lante had one right now. What I want to see is Dante apologize and get into the nitty gritty of why he cheated. They have him completely avoiding the Valerie angle in a certain way and it's totally frustrating. Have him admit he was attracted and combined with her adulation and his resentment it resulted in his having sex with her. Have him admit he wasn't 100% convinced she was having sex with Dillon but he knew she was lying either way and was pissed. The way they just want to blame it on Lulu's lie makes him seem infantile. Edited by ulkis
  • Love 7

Weren't Lante talking about some of their issues back when he admitted that he doesn't trust her - not her word but her judgment/impulses/priorities? That seems like something worth dealing with. 

(edited)

I was just talking with someone about how some fans were jealous of Jason/Sam's love scene but I would be pissed if Lante had one right now. What I want to see is Dante apologize and get into the nitty gritty of why he cheated. They have him completely avoiding the Valerie angle in a certain way and it's totally frustrating. Have him admit he was attracted and combined with her adulation and his resentment it resulted in his having sex with her. Have him admit he wasn't 100% convinced she was having sex with Dillon but he knew she was lying either way and was pissed. The way they just want to blame it on Lulu's lie makes him seem infantile.

Lawd. Fans jealous of JaSam's love scene? No. You obvs know that I thought it was well done, but I would trade that for an actual STORY any day of the week. Let us not forget what JaSam were doing in 2015: NOTHING. These writers had a back-from-the-dead story where the husband and wife felt NO deep pull or connection for over a YEAR. I CANNOT.

I need Dante to apologize completely and take the full blame for cheating. It doesn't matter if a Lulu lied. He needs to take responsibility for his own actions. He needs to tell her that the only reason they're moving on is bc she was gracious enough to take him back. I want these emotional confessions and conversations.

Edited by HeatLifer
  • Love 3
(edited)

Weren't Lante talking about some of their issues back when he admitted that he doesn't trust her - not her word but her judgment/impulses/priorities? That seems like something worth dealing with.

I don't know, I've ffed a lot of their scenes lately. :(

Also, I wonder if BB and KSt breaking up means BB is less likely to do stints, because damn it, I still need Johnny/Lulu revenge sex. I don't mean that he would stay away because of KSt but just that she was his incentive for returning before.

Cause a real life couple breaking up is all about meeeeee and my needs :)

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 3
(edited)

I don't know, I've ffed a lot of their scenes lately. :(

I think that scene was back before the divorce.  I was actually kind of happy/impressed  because I thought we were going to get relationship scenes that added depth to the characters and their interactions with each other.

Sometimes I forget which show I'm watching. :(

Edited by Oracle42
  • Love 2

Are we supposed to like Valerie? I can feel bad for her losing her mom, but she doesn't work for me, even though I think the show wants us to think "aw, she just made a mistake and now Lulu is being so harsh!"

All she has done so far is sleep with her cousin's husband and then feel sorry for herself. Not interesting.

• Love 4

Another thing that bugs me about this is the Lulu didn't trust Dante angle. Yeah, she could have overridden Luke, but imo a lot of the times parents can make you feel like your own instincts are not good and make you second guess yourself. It's annoying because it's not like Lulu didn't trust him at all . . . she wanted to and everyone else was telling her not to tell him.

It would have worked better if Lulu made that decision on her own not to tell Dante, because she thought Dante would immediately turn Luke in/or that luke wasn't right in the head, etc etc.

• Love 4