Type keyword(s) to search

The Spencers: Foiling Plans for World Domination Since the 80s

• Start Topic

She had PTSD. And yes, she had every reason to believe the Cassadines could and would kill everyone she loved.

She had an impossible choice: Stay on that island and continue to be raped and brutalized and probably ultimately killed, or save her life, possibly at the expense of her new son. I don't know what you think her alternatives were.

• Love 7

It amazes me how some characters get every manner of excuses made for them.

PTSD or not, even if I believed that, she had enough presence of mind to find a way out.

She had Luke on her side, could have gotten Robert on her side, etc.

Again..telling LUKE would NOT have killed anyone. Period.

Again-if it'd been Luke's kid, but everything else was the same? She wouldn't have left without that kid. And she darn sure would've told Luke he had a kid. And the two of them would have done anything to get that kid back.

I despise both of them as characters, I despise them as a couple, but even I know that.

Compare it again, to now with Lucky. She didn't hesitate to go get Luke and run off, knowing it was dangerous. But couldn't do that for her baby son.

Crap mother. Full stop.

(edited)

This situation and that one are two very different situations at very different times. And not long after, she was under the impression she'd gotten Lesley killed.

I can like both Tracy and Laura. You don't like her, fine, but I don't see the value in autopsying this again decades after the original Nikolas storyline. People are going to think Laura would keep a secret or not - I think she might or might not, but I don't think any of that debate about today has anything to do with a separate debate about her being in the right or the wrong in '83 after what she endured on Cassadine Island.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 8

Because in my mind, they aren't separate. The fact that she lied for years about Nik proves she's capable of lying about anything else. That's why I even brought it up. I mean, if you can't even tell your supposed gweat wuv that you had a kid, you'll lie to anyone about anything if you feel it's justified. That was point, and someone else took offense to the fact that I dared call her a crap mother.

It amazes me how some characters get every manner of excuses made for them.

PTSD or not, even if I believed that, she had enough presence of mind to find a way out.

Every manner of excuse? She was kidnapped and being raped for two years!

I don't think she is/was the world's most amazing mother. I've always said Laura has never admitted to herself that she feels differently about Nikolas than Lucky and Lulu. But not wanting to go back to the place where she held hostage and violated isn't a light excuse for not going back to get her child. Maybe ultimately it's not enough but it's hardly a "Deke smashed my cake" free pass.

• Love 8

Rape is horrible. But the supposed PTSD and rape don't excuse for one second, her refusal to even tell her husband about her first born child. There is NOT an excuse for that.

And yeah, Laura is one of those that people trip over themselves to excuse her actions.  I'll repeat, as I did in the other thread, if it'd been just about ANYONE else other than Laura or Liz, that woman would be roasted over a spit.

(edited)

Who's not roasting Liz? I think Becky Herbst is doing a great job, but as for Liz right now I want that bitch to burn.

And how many women have kept a secret about a child conceived by rape?

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 2

No need to keep going in circles. And the only one who knows (or so he claims! *G*) what the characters would do - as of now - is RC, so stressing about hypothetical situations just seems rather...pointless.

Everyone has an opinion, which is cool. Just remember others may not share it, respect it, and all is well.

Thanks for your cooperation! Carry on!

• Love 2

Rape is horrible. But the supposed PTSD and rape don't excuse for one second, her refusal to even tell her husband about her first born child. There is NOT an excuse for that.

And yeah, Laura is one of those that people trip over themselves to excuse her actions.  I'll repeat, as I did in the other thread, if it'd been just about ANYONE else other than Laura or Liz, that woman would be roasted over a spit.

Did people roast Connie when she shoved her baby into a drawer to die?

• Love 1
(edited)

Hmm. I think Liz gets roasted around here more than any character save Sonny, but that's a bit beside the point.

Laura is a good mother. She's not a perfect one and she has made mistakes regarding her children. A few of them have been pretty huge. But she loves her kids and I think she's always done what she believes is best for them. Sometimes she misses the mark, sometimes by freaking light-years, but I do think she's always tried her best.

I don't know that telling Luke about Nikolas when she was first back from the island would have not resulted in anyone dying. Stavros and later Helena were very serious threats. She did (try to) have Laura's mother killed when she tried to contact Nikolas and I believe the prohibition extended to speaking of him to anyone as well. And if Luke and Laura (and Robert) had gone to war with the Cassadines to get baby Nikolos back, I can easily see several people getting dead. None of them - including Stefan, for whom Laura felt affection, if not love - would have given him up without a fight.

Then again, I wouldn't assume Luke would have lifted a finger to help Laura get her baby back, even if he had known. Dude is not rational about Cassadines. This is the same charming gentleman who once said he felt his own daughter - then a toddler - was tainted because of the bone marrow transplant she'd received from Nikolas.

Edited by Melgaypet
  • Love 3

I'll guess I'll be the Lucky recast stan, heh. Unless they SORAS one of his kids, the Spencers are about to be seriously depleted.

I totally understand that part of wanting a Lucky recast, especially with Luke leaving. I guess a large part of Lucky for me is the chemistry and connection JJ has with the other actors. Greg V., for example, never worked for that reason, IMO. And the casting on this show is quite horrific overall, tbh. It's the same way I feel about Robin/KMc. I just can't imagine any other actress punching Patrick in the face and it meaning something. :P

• Love 3
(edited)
I like ER as Lulu, mostly. When they give her real material (Georgie/Connie), which is very rare, I like her a lot. I think she's not been given nearly enough showcase (or good scripts) to prove she can be a leading lady - and maybe she can't, but right now we have no way of knowing. I also think Julie Berman checked out long before she left and it showed. That being said, I would not be averse to another recast.

I mean, I can't/couldn't read Julie's mind, but she cried real tears in the scenes where Lulu and Dante got married. That's not a sign of someone who is not invested in her character/is checked out. imo, at least. I think JT in the Sabrina days and KSt during most of 2013 checked out way more than Julie ever did. But I could be doing them an injustice too. 

Although - JT I'm not so sure about, but KSt I'm pretty sure about, heh. She was awful during the Connie trial.

That said I thought Emme was good today.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 1

I mean, I can't/couldn't read Julie's mind, but she cried real tears in the scenes where Lulu and Dante got married. That's not a sign of someone who is not invested in her character/is checked out. imo, at least.

Well, that's a wedding scene, of course she's gonna go all out. And I did see her show up sometimes. But a lot of other times I'd check in and she'd be all but smacking and cracking her gum in scenes. Like, 'pshhh, whatever,' everyday. It just got very, very dry.

And yes, I thought what Kirsten did in the Connie story - though a lot of it was the writing - was unforgivable. JT, OTOH, appeared to be on suicide watch.

• Love 1

I think she just has resting bitchface. Which, hey, is a valid reason as any for not liking her, heh.

And yes, I thought what Kirsten did in the Connie story - though a lot of it was the writing - was unforgivable.

the shirt from hell they made her wear probably didn't help either.

(edited)

KSt I'm pretty sure about, heh. She was awful during the Connie trial.

OT, I know, but to be fair to KSt, she could have been stressed out/tired due to her pregnancy. Not that it's necessarily an excuse, but that could be why. 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 2
(edited)

I mean, I can't/couldn't read Julie's mind, but she cried real tears in the scenes where Lulu and Dante got married. That's not a sign of someone who is not invested in her character/is checked out. imo, at least. I think JT in the Sabrina days and KSt during most of 2013 checked out way more than Julie ever did. But I could be doing them an injustice too. 

Although - JT I'm not so sure about, but KSt I'm pretty sure about, heh. She was awful during the Connie trial.

That said I thought Emme was good today.

Did Julie check out in the last part of her time on GH?  Possibly.  Who knows.  Like ulkis, I'm not a mind reader.  However, I do know she has been asked several times about the hardest thing was that she had to do when she was on GH.  Her answer:  When I had to play  Lulu out-of-character - when she was not being true to her truth. 

To me, that hardly sounds like someone who was uninvested in the role she was playing. 

I guess we just have to go by our own personal reactions and, for me, Julie had the capacity to make me cry and laugh with her Lulu at the appropriate times - to really feel what Lulu was feeling.  And she was still able to do that up to the October before she left.  I still remember her tearful and believable emotion when her Lulu told Dante she'd couldn't carry their child.   After that she and we got trapped in that hot mess of the wolfie surrogacy story.  (Some will excuse Emme because of poor writing - well, Julie had crappy writing, too.) 

As well, the scenes for which she won her third Emmy - pivotal scenes about her relationship with Luke - still resonate with me as realistic, beautifully understated, nuanced acting with range and depth.  (Jan, 2012)

As for Emme, I do think that FINALLY she is hitting her stride, but, for me, that has taken two years.  I puzzled about this for a long time because of her much-touted soap experience.  The tenative theory I have developed is that the role of Lulu is more complicated than her previous roles and Emme had to hone her craft to play Lulu effectively. 

That said, while I could "cry" when appropriate with Julie's Lulu, I still don't "cry" with Emme's Lulu.  I might feel moved by, and sympathetic to, the circumstances in which she finds herself - but not because she herself affects me. 

To repeat, it's all about the personal reactions we each have.

Edited by Aurora2
  • Love 2
(edited)
Not only is worrying about only about herself psychologically conditioned, it is deeply genetic. But she did demand that Valerie's sick mother help Luke, where then she ended up dying away from proper medical care, and before Valerie and Dante were remotely involved, started treating her as some nuisance instead of someone possibly grieving for her mother and dumped her off on Nikolas, instead of going to her hotel owning, mansion living cousin Carly, who is actually related to Valerie too. Lulu does this a lot, she is so fixated on her desires, she ignores whatever pain anyone else is in: when Jake "died", she demanded that Lucky go after Luke instead of giving him space to be with his wife and remaining children, when Dante stupidly went to case his father's warehouse (off hours) and got shot, she slapped and wished Lucky dead, despite just telling her he had relapsed again and the fact he has kids.

Lulu *is* self-absorbed, but Lulu only started acting cagey when Valerie tried to kill Luke, which, granted, was at the beginning of their acquaintance. Should she have had more understanding of where Valerie was coming from? Yes, but it's probably how most people would react to a person who tried to kill their father, if they loved their father, no matter what the man had done.

And yes, Valerie flipping out on Luke was understandable. But it doesn't mean it's okay either. No one forced Pat to go and no one actually killed Pat. 

When Jake died Lulu was in a lot of pain too, and was afraid Luke was gonna go away and thier family was going to be torn completely apart. And in a way, she was right. Not too long after all that Lucky left and he still hasn't come back, her mother only recently returned, etc etc. She acted supremely shitty when she asked Lucky to come back, and she realized it. She was sitting drinking after he left and talking about how she realized she went too far and Lucky would probably never speak to her again, and she went back to apologize to him a day or two later and then HE was the one who offered to go get Luke back at that point.

I remember at the time someone wrote a good post about how Lucky and Lulu were hugging after that, and they were talking about how Dante was looking at them like he realized how messed up they were from Luke and his drinking. And hell, I think TG and JJ probably thought Lucky talking about how awesome Luke was as a father was touching, and it was, but I was partly thinking "wow, Lucky is still so delusional about his dad."

As for telling Lucky she wished he was dead, she didn't, not exactly. She said, "it should have been you [who was shot]." Lucky presented the story of Dante getting shot as something that was completely his (Lucky's) idea, she had just come from seeing Dante gasping for breath. It was a nasty line but said in the heat of the moment.

Lulu definitely is someone who can get nasty (which is why Dante should be very afraid when the whole truth comes out, heh), but she has also been supportive at times, and she's definitely apologized when she realized she was wrong. (to throw one example out, she did eventually apologize to Liz about how she acted when the Nik/Liz affair came out.) I think she is self-absorbed, but not to the point of pathology. I mean, there definitely was a time when it was like that 24/7 (going to Carly about Johnny practically the day they found out Michael was in a coma was probably her most self-absorbed moment) but imo she hasn't consistently acted like that for a long time. It definitely has a tendency to come out though.

I don't think this Valerie situation has really been like that though? Valerie was into Dante. She could tell.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 2
(edited)

Did she apologize though? She does these selfish things, and she never apologizes for her behavior. She might not have wished Lucky dead, but that is pretty close. During the whole Jake "dying", the most she did was offer to make Lucky food, once. 

Edited by Ambrosefolly

Did she apologize though? She does these selfish things, and she never apologizes for her behavior. She might not have wished Lucky dead, but that is pretty close.

No she didn't but they literally did not have another scene together after that, but apparently they reconciled not too long after because Lucky talked about how she called him to talk about the wedding, and then when Robin "died" she called him to tell him about that.

I mean, even if she had said "I wish you were dead" I would still get it. She was afraid Dante was going to die, and like I said, Lucky was being a martyr and completely left out the part where ti was Dante's idea and made it seem like he dragged Dante along.

• Love 2

On another note where Lulu is concerned...

The thing is, with this whole arc of "Dante cheats on poor Lulu", this is where I get stuck by the admitted hypocrisy of soap tropes (and I know they are tried and true and should be fast forgotten) because, hey! Lulu was once the Valerie to poor Georgie's Lulu with idiot Dillon playing the Dante role, so my sympathy for Lulu, recalling all that, is pretty damned low.

Does it suck that Val and Dante played hide the salami in her bed? Of course. But I need Ghost Georgie to point and laugh at her while yelling KARMA. Especially if Val gets knocked up.

I realize soaps now seem to run on case by case basis, but the criteria of history, which soaps always seemed to mine, sometimes makes it tough.

• Love 2
(edited)

Lulu has already been cheated on twice though, by both boyfriends. And both times by best bud Maxie. That's a lot of hits with the karma stick for that particular sin, one that she made when she was 17.

Plus, Lulu was a lot more entertaining chasing after him too than Valerie is now. ;) Hell, so was Carly. Imo, either way, whether she's a villain or rootable, she's dull.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 4
Lulu has already been cheated on twice though, by both boyfriends. And both times by best bud Maxie

Oddly, I have no trouble there. I know these two are supposedly BFFs, but if they were written realistically, Maxie SHOULD do exactly what she did, except without remorse (even if it is still limited), since I thought it was idiotic for these two to ever be friends when Lulu helped to destroy Maxie's own sister's marriage. So Maxie could have done what she did to pay Lulu back for hurting her baby sister. But Maxie sucks as a sister...

So I guess I took those in the spirit it should have been intended. LOL!

And in writing all of this, I guess Spencer women irk the shit out of me, be it Lulu, Carly, or Val.

• Love 1

They were kids when that Georgie/Lulu/Dillon stuff went down. I don't hold that against Lulu in the slightest.

And I hated her back then. Hated.her.

Young? Absolutely. And I know teens do stupid crap. But I do hold it against Lulu, maybe because she gets all high and mighty and seems to forget she is anything but a princess herself. And all were still old enough - if not mature enough - to know sleeping with married people was an issue. Well, all that and I got SICK. TO. DEATH. of hearing about THE ABORTION! So, yeah, I do blame her. And Dillon. LOL.

Not to say Val shouldn't get ripped a new one. I just wish it was done by someone other than Lulu or other cuz, Carly.

• Love 4
(edited)

I agree actually. Whatever Lulu did or didn't do, she doesn't deserve to be cheated on and lied too by the love of her life. She might have hurt Georgie, but she has been faithful to Dante and if Dante had an issue with her and Dillion, he needed to confront her and not sleep with her cousin. The small good thing is that she really will understand how deeply she hurt Georgie. She wasn't with Logan long and I think a lot of her relationship with Johnny was fueled by surrounding danger of Logan and the mob, which ended when Logan died and Johnny left the mob. However she had settled into a happy little family with Dante, and while Georgie and Dillion were  too young for that, they were the most important person in each of their lives for years, and Lulu deliberated interfered.

Here is my other thing about Lulu that was illustrated when Lucky left in 2011. I tried to find a another clip of Lulu and Lucky together after she slapped him, and I got the scene where Ethan told her Lucky had taken off. She didn't wistfully say that come to make some sort of peace with Lucky after she wished the father of two small children shot in back for what turned out to be Dante's idea, she heard Ethan lay the entire blame at Liz's feet and acted like she wasn't a contributed factor as well (though probably not to the degree that Liz was).

Edited by Ambrosefolly
  • Love 3

So with Luke's pending departure, other than Lulu, who is really left of the Spencer clan?  JJ should be leaving (to go back to Nashville, unless I've missed a re-cast), JZ has been on and off for years....  Who is really left?

I agree actually. Whatever Lulu did or didn't do, she doesn't deserve to be cheated on and lied too by the love of her life. She might have hurt Georgie, but she has been faithful to Dante and if Dante had an issue with her and Dillion, he needed to confront her and not sleep with her cousin. The small good thing is that she really will understand how deeply she hurt Georgie. She wasn't with Logan long and I think a lot of her relationship with Johnny was fueled by surrounding danger of Logan and the mob, which ended when Logan died and Johnny left the mob. However she had settled into a happy little family with Dante, and while Georgie and Dillion were  too young for that, they were the most important person in each of their lives for years, and Lulu deliberated interfered.

Here is my other thing about Lulu that was illustrated when Lucky left in 2011. I tried to find a another clip of Lulu and Lucky together after she slapped him

There was no other scene, which I'm still annoyed about.

So with Luke's pending departure, other than Lulu, who is really left of the Spencer clan?  JJ should be leaving (to go back to Nashville, unless I've missed a re-cast), JZ has been on and off for years....  Who is really left?

Carly and Lucas, and I think Bobbie counts, she's been around much more recently. And Valerie, I suppose, but I don't know how they are going to give her and Lulu a relationship once the truth comes out, but you never know.

(edited)

I barely consider Carly a Spencer.   She has always cared about Sonny and Jason way more than the Spencers.   Even with Bobbie, I think Carly gets far more out of that relationship than Bobbie does.  

Oops, edited and lost the initial post ....   Here's the Throwback Thursday (almost) footage of Luke v. the Avalanche, at around 15:47 on this clip. Before getting squished in the avalanche, Luke has been assaulted and mugged ... on a deserted snowy mountain.  Because only Luke could get himself mugged, concussed, then squished by an avalanche all in the same episode.

Edited by SlovakPrincess
  • Love 2
(edited)

What the hell was Luke doing on a mountain again?

ETA: That is some good jazzercize music that starts up at 4:06. :dances:

lol why did they keep showing the obviously-Luke-is-not-in-the-same-area shot of the avalanche! Once was enough, I'm sure people got it.

Hmm, Robert called someone darling. First of all, swoon, second, wonder if Luke "stole" it from him.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 1
(edited)

Literally, sulking by himself because Holly lied to him about something.

Hmm, Robert called someone darling. First of all, swoon, second, wonder if Luke "stole" it from him.

Luke says "darlin'".   Robert says "dahhhling."  It's totally different, LOL!  

Edited by SlovakPrincess
  • Love 2
Not to say Val shouldn't get ripped a new one. I just wish it was done by someone other than Lulu

I think the cheated-on partner always has the right to rip either cheater a new one, though of course the cheating spouse deserves much more hate.

I barely consider Carly a Spencer. She has always cared about Sonny and Jason way more than the Spencers. Even with Bobbie, I think Carly gets far more out of that relationship than Bobbie does.

Carly is a Spencer only when it suits the plot and/or her. It's always been that way. I'm fine with that, even if I sometimes do have to stop and think why she's calling someone cousin or brother. Heh. And Bobbie definitely gets the short end of the stick with Carly, but  they haven't had any story for ages, maybe since the original one. For a long time Bobbie has existed as Carly's voice of reason, which of course Carly ignores.

I think Sebastian Roché's Jerry Jacks wins the "darling" contest. Hands down.

• Love 1
(edited)

Lulu and Valerie have such a non-relationship that I hope they skip her ripping Valerie because I won't feel the sadness of a split between two friends/cousins or the satisfaction of one woman finding out the misdeeds of her rival. There was no friendship or rivalry built up. Just passive-aggressive faces at each other. 

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 1
I won't feel the sadness of a split between two friends/cousins or the satisfaction of one woman finding out the misdeeds or her rival. There was no friendship or rivalry built up. Just passive-aggressive faces at each other.

Oh, I agree. I couldn't care less about the Valerie/Lulu relationship. But I don't think Lulu is wrong to yell at Valerie for what she did.

• Love 1

Oh, I agree. I couldn't care less about the Valerie/Lulu relationship. But I don't think Lulu is wrong to yell at Valerie for what she did.

Oh, nor do I. But I don't even think it's worth the effort on her part, or the viewers'.

Valerie was waiting to pounce on Dante at the first sign of discord. If there wasn't any , she was willing to make one. Lulu had plenty of reasons to watch the girl. One room and she just stays and plays the poor little me, my mom died. Lulus mother was in a hospital for years a wig on a stick. Lulu needs to rip her a new one, and she needs to stop taking all the blame for going to her family, and tell Dante to stuff it. Dante wanted to have a roll in the hay with Valerie and he got his excuse. Their is no great friendship /Family with Val and Lulu, and now there will never be.

• Love 1

I am tired of Lulu's act, so I am okay with some discord followed by Dante getting some Val loving, then the Val/Dante baby for Christmas.

Then if the viewers want Lulu to want him back the runner can work that out and transition Val into a love match wth Jordan.

I think MW might be a bit too stocky for the role, physically. I don't need a JJ clone but maybe someone a bit more wiry.

Jeff Branson. He can act, he's a good blend physically between JJ & GV's Lucky and he can actually generate chemistry with his costars. I think he and BH would be hot together and Lucky's not going to be part of the group that's angry with her because RC made sure to drag Lucky into this crappy secret.

I didn't like his character on AMC - ugh Laverys - but I thought he was good. I thought he was even better on Y&R and he generated chemistry like a machine

Edited by Oracle42
  • Love 1

JJ's Lucky was always his, just as I thought GV's Lucky was his. The characters shared the same name and history, but because the actors are different, so was Lucky. It's like how Carly changed with each recast. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing, unless the recast is miscast (JY and Jennifer Bransford, IMO). And I don't think Lucky has to be a slighter guy just because JJ is. Find the right actor who can give Lucky soul, and you're 3/4 of the way there. That's Lucky's defining trait, IMO, not his physical appearance.

I think you're mostly right, but I would try to get someone on the reedier side. I think a part of JY's problem was he had that boxy look.

• Love 1

They were trying to make JY look younger than he was and keep Lucky a teenager or a very early 20s guy. I remember reading articles where he talked about not wearing T-shirts and things that would accentuate his shoulders. Given the story they couldn't SORAS Lucky, so JY had to run around wearing baseball jackets and loose clothing. 

They were trying to make JY look younger than he was and keep Lucky a teenager or a very early 20s guy. I remember reading articles where he talked about not wearing T-shirts and things that would accentuate his shoulders. Given the story they couldn't SORAS Lucky, so JY had to run around wearing baseball jackets and loose clothing. 

I think they did that with GV, not JY. GV always used to wear backpacks at the beginning; it was pretty embarrassing. They used to call him NEIL (New Elderly I-forget-what-the-I-stood-for Lucky) over at soapzone because of it.

• Love 1

It was definitely with JY, too. I think with GV they finally realized it was ridiculous to try to hide the more athletic build and just went with it.

What was the time gap (if any) between JY being let go and GV being hired? Because JY was pretty seamless with JJ, like a month or so, IIRC, so the physical difference was more immediate.

Edited by dubbel zout

It was definitely with JY, too. I think with GV they finally realized it was ridiculous to try to hide the more athletic build and just went with it.

What was the time gap (if any) between JY being let go and GV being hired? Because JY was pretty seamless with JJ, like a month or so, IIRC, so the physical difference was more immediate.

I believe there was close to a year between JJ and JY, and there was next to no gap between JY and GV.  (Just looked before I hit post, and JJ last appeared in May 1999, JY showed up in February 2000.  JY last appeared on 2/10/03, GV was onscreen 2/20/03.) 

• Love 1

dubbel zout, agree to disagree on this one. JY was, what, 21 when they hired him? Maybe even 20. Backpacks would have looked fine on him. Then when JY left, Lucky went from early 20s to a 30 year old and it was just hilarious how he always had the backpack hanging off his one shoulder in the beginning.

• Love 1