Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: My Cousin Izzy / S01.E08: It's All In The Executions

Episode 7 Synopsis:

Thinking about being in a relationship, Isabella wants Galavant to try to impress her parents with attentive small talk, but he’s confident that breaking everyone out of prison will impress them and save them from certain death. Galavant gets his opportunity for a hero moment when King Richard challenges his brother to a duel and needs a champion to fight for him.

Episode 8 Synopsis:

Galavant enlists King Richard in a plot to kill Kingsley before the duel… but ends with a drunken whimper. Will Gareth kill King Richard in the duel? Will Galavant rescue everyone? Will Madalena find a new “boy toy?” The answers are very different from what you expect.

• Love 1

The answers are very different from what you expect.

Well they weren't kidding.  Those last six minutes were a hot mess and completely unsatisfying.  I kept looking at the clock and asking WTF was going on.  I think that was what they were going for though.

• Love 7

Huh, I really expected this to be a self-contained season.  The endings were on the bizzare side, though I buy that Madalena would pick Gareth for king over Richard or Kingsley.  I suppose Richard and Galavant with the pirates could be fun.

All of these knights and kings are miserable failures at planning, escaping, duels, and secret missions. But they succeeded at comic relief for the most part.

I gawped and giggled through Chef and Gwen's gleeful little song about poisoning everyone. And then Chef couldn't follow through, and gave everyone allergic reactions, and Gwen was charmed anyway. They are just such a cute couple with incredibly low expectations.

• Love 7

I can't believe they left it there! I need a S2.

Loved these last two episodes, the Secret Mission song reminded me of With Cat Like Tread from Pirates of Penzance (I love that song).

The Goodnight My Friend song was beautiful, loved it.

Prince Henry was hysterical, so cute, loved Richard and Kingsly's reaction to him.

I'm also dying to see the adventures of Richard and Galavant.

I almost forgot, I adored Sid and Jester being friends.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 10

Huh, I really expected this to be a self-contained season. The endings were on the bizzare side

Bizarre is right.

Those last six minutes were a hot mess and completely unsatisfying. I kept looking at the clock and asking WTF was going on.

I agree, definitely unsatisfying and disappointing. I wanted everything wrapped up, happily ever after, because we know there isn't going to be a second season.
  • Love 8

Richard & Gareth forever! Ha, I loved when Richard all lovingly cupped his face and weirded Gareth out.

King Henry was all kinds of adorable. That little room he made for Isabella though...creepy!

Heh at Galavant/Isabella having a 3-hour convo about what Sid's 'thank you' really meant.

Edited by Gumdrops
  • Love 6

Okay, ending stuff aside, "Secret Mission" was the funniest thing I've seen in a long damn time.  Dear God, they were having so much, so very much fun. 

ETA: Just rewatched it several times.  Seriously, that is the funniest thing in the whole show for me.  Funnier than the joust.  "Do you want to kill him in the head, or do you want to kill him in the neck?" The full on cartoon tiptoeing behind the guards in the throne room? 

Joshua Sasse and Tim Omundson for all the things.   All of them.  They were fabulous.

Secret, secret

Hush, hush, hush

Dah da da da da daaaa....!

Edited by Gin and Tonic
  • Love 24

I will really miss this show.  I loved the ending, but agree that the ending kind of sucks knowing that the ratings have tanked and it's a real longshot to come back.  I really liked the poisoning song between Gwen and Chef, and I loved the Secret Mission with Richard and Galavant.  Their scenes were amazing, and I'd love to see their adventures continue on.  Overall, this was a really great little 8 episode series.  

• Love 3

They've had four hours to tell a story with a beginning and ending.

If this was meant to just be a short experimental first season, I would have liked them to have been honest about it from the beginning. I probably would have given up after a week or two, because the individual episodes tended to not be that strong. But they presented it as more of a miniseries, so I expected a self-contained story with some kind of coherent finish.

Nope. They wasted a lot of time treading water, hoping that providing a couple of smiles an episode would be enough to get them renewed for yet another going-nowhere season. I feel ripped off.

• Love 7

I'm definitely disappointed that we didn't get a "real" ending.  I wouldn't mind seeing more (the secret mission song was hilarious, and the good night friend one was very sweet), but thinking this was a one-and-done mini-series was what got me watching in the first place.

• Love 7

Shucks. I, too, thought they were running out of time to wrap up the season. I do hope it's renewed. I'm all for Galavant, the overrated hero, and the King cavorting together next year. Loved the lullaby. Also loved the references to Downton Abbey, "It never ends well for the downstairs folks." And Little Mermaid. "Kiss the Girl" written by Alan Menken

• Love 9
Okay, ending stuff aside, "Secret Mission" was the funniest thing I've seen in a long damn time.  Dear God, they were having so much, so very much fun.

<snip>

Secret, secret

Hush, hush, hush

Dah da da da da daaaa....!

Straight out of "With Cat-like Tread" from Pirates of Penenze.

• Love 4

Never split the team!

Need Season 2, thank you, Kind Heads of ABC Programming.

As much as I have loved the cast, regular and guest, I think Timothy Omundson was the happiest surprise. ( Yes, he tapped with Dule Hill on Psych, but I didn't know he could sing! I need to download the lullabye; it was lovely.)

The sneaking behind the guards and the slo-mo joust were two highlights of the four hours. Vincenzo and Gewn were their practical, romantic selves again. The actual King and Queen of Valencia are great. Just so much to like!

#SaveIsabella

• Love 10

I loved, loved, loved it! I was not expecting that twist in the ending! I'll be so mad if we don't get a proper conclusion or a season 2 of this show.

I liked the running gag of Galavant not being able to finish his song, only to not have a proper ending when he gets his chance. Love Izzy's parents. I'm glad Madalena is still the main big bad. Loved how her wardrobe reflected her evilness.

Wasn't expecting Kingsley to be offed so soon, but I actually kind of like how the special guest stars only last one or two episodes. It makes it fun.

Galabella's kiss was glorious, all 0.02 seconds of it. I was cracking up at the "Kiss the Girl" part.

Favorite songs of the night were "Secret Mission" and the lullaby.

The bromance between King Richard and Gareth is the best. Hoping the Jester and Sid form a bromance.

Poor Isabella is stuck living inside basically a one-room barbie dollhouse.

The #PeasantLove is so cute, but I was not expecting Medieval Daisy to be so morbid!

Wasn't expecting Gareth to become king.

King Richard's hair was magnificent in that shot with the pirates. Hopefully this means we'll get to see more Pirate Grantham in season 2! And yes, I'm being optimistic.

I was suffering from a bit of deja vu because everyone splitting up in the end reminded me of the The Fellowship of the Ring and how that ended. :(

• Love 5

I think these two episodes were the strongest since the first two in terms of plot and musical numbers.  The King and Galavant make for a fun duo. 

That said, I do think the potential endings suggested here (whether they all go to a different land or a different time a la Blackadder) were much better.  While Galavant and Richard would be a fun duo to watch in a second season, I'm far less interested in where Isabella and her crew ended up.  I also liked the twist of Madalena taking Gareth as her king but I don't look forward to seeing Gareth without the king. 

Overall, I'm not too worried as this show moves pretty quickly but the ending didn't leave me as intrigued as I'd hoped to be/thought I'd be.

• Love 1

Why couldn't we have had a happy ending? ABC never gives new series a chance and I doubt this will be back. I really wanted Mag to have her unhappy ending, and see Isabella and Gal riding off together.

I did giggle about the line of how all the singing will ruin the Nielson ratings- I love a show that pokes fun at itself. The rest of the show was fun as well- it will definitely be missed. King Richard and Galavant running around drunk was the highlight.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 3

The best songs: the repeated interruptions of "Heroes Moment(?)"; the Poison Everyone song, and "Secret Mission"-- sung loudly and drunkenly all over the castle!

I can't believe they broke up all the pairs/groups that were really working well for the 8 episodes. King Dick/Galavant could be fun, but the rest I don't see being as funny.

• Love 1

He will always be Aladdin (and DJ's boyfriend) to me!

Loved seeing Giles as Galavant's father! Although I would have preferred a happy ending because I never trust ABC to renew shows that I like, the rest of the two episodes was the same fun silly stuff I expected so I was entertained. I will miss this light hearted show and hope against hope that it gets a second season.

• Love 6

I think they will release Goodnight My Friend, which is great.

Super bummed I didn't get to see ep 7 (I don't have a TV and i can't find it online) but, uhm, like many of you guys, i seriously thought there would be a happy ending with Gal and Isabelle riding off into the sunset together. 

But also, I will only be disappointed if this show doesn't come back for a season 2 (so, i know I should just prepare to be disappointed) I fell in love with this show. It was a total delight having it through January. It was a show that poked fun at itself and and just generally silly, which was sorely needed.  

I'm hoping it comes back mainly to see what happens with Galavant and Richard because that is going to be good.

I love this show.

• Love 3

I loved this show and I was already expecting it to be a one-shot deal. The cliffhangers left in the finale's wake aren't anything I can't live with so I'll be okay if this is all we get.

I am bummed that we didn't get to see Madalena's feet. I guess her long line of consort dudes didn't mind them, since she had two of them in bed with her at one point. (I think Madalena may be my real hero in all of this. Bagging all the dudes and ruling the kingdom.)

• Love 3

I was a bit disappointed in the cliffhanger ending, but only because it didn't fit in with my wish for the show to continue on in the Blackadder style of bringing the same characters back in different settings.  Overall, I loved this show and would definitely watch a sequel, preferably during the summer when pickings are slim.  

The songs were terrific last night.  Another hilarious song with Gwen and Chef!  Many of you have mentioned Galavant and Richard tiptoeing past the guards, which I thought was made even more funny by the exaggerated sound of crickets chirping.  

I don't watch much TV, and I didn't recognize most of the actors, including Galavant, but they were all delightful.  I also did NOT recognize that Syd was Magnitude until someone on this forum mentioned it.  Pop, pop!  

• Love 4
I gawped and giggled through Chef and Gwen's gleeful little song about poisoning everyone.

Right? How is "pick the toxin / toss the whole box in" not genius poetry?

I laughed and laughed when Prince Henry's army showed up armed with their tiny curved knives and not much more. The kid was pretty annoying though.

I, too, hope that Yahoo or Amazon will pick up a second season. I'll watch it.

Edited by shura
  • Love 3

I am bummed that we didn't get to see Madalena's feet

I just pictured Hobbit feet.

I was disappointed that we didn't get resolution.  I was expecting a 1 and done so did not care for everything being unresolved.  The characters they created could have easily picked up a second season from there.

I laughed and laughed when Prince Henry's army showed up armed with their tiny carved knives and not much more. The kid was pretty annoying though.

Jeez, he was a beautiful child!  But that end with the creepy dollhouse made him far less awww- worthy.  I found the Isabella doll on the bed uber-creepy.

But I totally loved Isababble!

• Love 1

I wasn't surprised they had a cliffhanger ending because my understanding was when they shot it, it was a short-season-hoping for renewal. But by the time ABC decided to air it, they presented it very clearly as an "Event", which made it seem very intentionally one-and-done. So barring amazingly surprising ratings, it was probably going to be one and done. So in that regard I'm surprised they didn't have any slightly different alternate ending so that it...ended once it was decided, and let's face it, it was basically already decided, that this wasn't going any further. But perhaps budget also meant, no, just leave it, cliffhanger and all, even though the marketing all along had an implicit promise that this thing would have a beginning middle and end. So, basically, booo ABC.

Sophie McShera singing a song about viciously poisoning the nobles was so meta, I loved it.  And, of course, the "We're off on a secret mission" song.  The mortal enemies became best buds.  So sweet!  And poor Isabella walking into that "bedroom" her seven-year-old cousin made for her was surprisingly dower.

• Love 2

I feel so misled!  I totally expected an ending, and I still want one!  Though I know I'm not likely to get one.

Loved loved loved the poisoning song, and the Secret Mission song, too.  I thought I was going to fall out of my chair when they were all trying to knock Gareth out and take the keys.

No one really believes Gareth has gone to the Dark Side, do they?

• Love 2

Why can't they just do straightforward mini-series anymore? That ending was completely unsatisfying. Even if they were hoping to get a second season they could have at least finished the story they were telling this season.

• Love 8

I do not like cliffhanger endings unless we know for sure there will be a new season next year.

I have to admit though, the twist at the end was a surprise.  Basically, the 2 commoners (no noble blood in either M or G, right ?) were the rulers of Valencia, which was a huge coup for 13th century.  But what were they going to eat now the chef was on the run ? :D

The complete silent during tip-toeing scene was brilliant, since the rest of the episodes were full of noise.

Galavant+Richard were great and Richard+Garreth were also great.. So who was the common denominator? ;)

One question:

Syd had been in adventures with Galavant, meaning he was with Gal before Madalena was captured by Richard.  So how come Madalena did not know Syd ?

Edited by DarkRaichu
  • Love 4

Was NOT expecting a cliffhanger.  Also was not expected Gareth to willingly (?) join up with Madalenna at the end.  Actually the only thing I expected in this episode was Madalenna literally stabbing Kingsley in the bag -- I totally knew that would happen sooner or later.

I squealed seeing Giles as the Knight at the opening flashback.

Boy, Isabelle's parents kind of suck (by modern standards) for betrothing her to a child and basically saying nothing when he locks her up in a giant Barbie house.

This had better get renewed for another season or at least a freaking conclusion!

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 2

I am really going to miss this show.  I loved it.  Great way to spend an hour on Sunday night.  I almost fell out of my seat when Prince Henry showed up.  I hope that ABC brings this show back.

• Love 1

I think they will release Goodnight My Friend, which is great.

Super bummed I didn't get to see ep 7 (I don't have a TV and i can't find it online) but, uhm, like many of you guys, i seriously thought there would be a happy ending with Gal and Isabelle riding off into the sunset together. 

But also, I will only be disappointed if this show doesn't come back for a season 2 (so, i know I should just prepare to be disappointed) I fell in love with this show. It was a total delight having it through January. It was a show that poked fun at itself and and just generally silly, which was sorely needed.  

I'm hoping it comes back mainly to see what happens with Galavant and Richard because that is going to be good.

I love this show.

They have the episodes on Hulu. If you have to wait a week to watch it if you don't have one of the cable/ satellite companies to sign in with. 

Having Antony Head in a musical and only giving him, like, 2 lines to sing is simply criminal!

Didn't like the lack of closure, although the fourth wall jokes were pretty funny. Still, no chance of renewal, which sucks - I still mostly enjoyed the show.

Madalena's my hero. Although choosing Gareth, really? I mean, why would she need a husband? She could have just appointed him her right hand man. Still, she outplayed everyone, in the end. Go Madalena!

• Love 6

Gareth likes 'em really really thin or really really fat. I think my favorite part of the entire show was Gareth's last line to Madalena...something like, "You'll have to either gain or lose a lot of weight."

• Love 8

Count me as another fan unhappy with the lack of ending. I had been prepared to buy the DVD if there was one, but if there's little promise of a second season, I don't see the point.

I let my kids watch this with me because 1. they're too young to get the sex jokes, 2. the violence was slapstick, and 3. they love princesses and knights. They were absolutely distraught when there was no resolution. It was like "Who kills Humperdink, is it Inigo?" "No one. Humperdink lives." "You mean he WINS?!? JESUS, Grandpa, why did you read me this?"

And Isabella in the box gave one of them nightmares.

One question:

Syd had been in adventures with Galavant, meaning he was with Gal before Madalena was captured by Richard.  So how come Madalena did not know Syd ?

Considering Madalena doesn't even know the name of the Jester, it doesn't really surprise me she doesn't remember Syd. She's a total sociopath (or is it psychopath, I can never remember which is which), only taking notice of someone if they can help her get what she wants or is in the way, and even then only a little.

• Love 9

Enjoyed Secret Mission and Poison Everyone songs, but I'm annoyed that there wasn't actually an ending.  I can handle this being one and done, but c'mon, give us a pay off!!  Maybe they'll come back with a one-off special that ties all the endings?  Pretty please?

• Love 1