Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual SAG Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

49 minutes ago, Valny said:

wow- I am so surprised the Squid Game actors won. Did not see that coming as I am sure most predictors didn't.

Nope, most of the predictors called it. It's one reason I wasn't surprised, just as I knew they'd give ensemble to Succession. And it makes sense because Succession is one of those amazing shows that collectively has such a strong cast of actors, all of whom could conceivably win an award.

It's the kind of show the Ensemble category is perfect for because when you have a situation like the Actor category where three of them were nominated, all of them amazing in their own way, it's like which one do you give it to.

Happy for the CODA actors. That was a sweet moment. But still think The Power of the Dog will win Best Picture at the Oscars. Supporting Actor is interesting because for months, Kodi Smit-McPhee seemed the lock. But I have seen the pundits predicting a possible shift to Troy Kotsur and tonight's win may have sealed the deal. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Nope, most of the predictors called it. It's one reason I wasn't surprised, just as I knew they'd give ensemble to Succession. And it makes sense because Succession is one of those amazing shows that collectively has such a strong cast of actors, all of whom could conceivably win an award.

It's the kind of show the Ensemble category is perfect for because when you have a situation like the Actor category where three of them were nominated, all of them amazing in their own way, it's like which one do you give it to.

Jeremy Strong. That's the correct answer. 😄

Deadline: TNT & TBS Will No Longer Air Screen Actors Guild Awards

The SAG Awards need a new home: Deadline has confirmed that TNT and TBS will no longer air one of Hollywood’s major events.

This looks to be another cost-cutting move by the newly merged owners of TNT/TBS, Warner Bros. Discovery.  Last week, it was reported that TNT/TBS halted development on new scripted series (TVLine).  At the moment, there's no hint of where the SAG Awards could end up.

Statement from SAG-AFTRA:

SAG Awards is engaged in discussions with Warner Bros. Discovery as well as other networks and streamers regarding the broadcast rights to the show. While the TNT Network has advised us that they do not expect to conclude a new licensing agreement with the SAG Awards prior to the expiration of the exclusive negotiating window, we are exploring multiple other options. Engaging in negotiations for the broadcast of the show is not unusual and has occurred several times over the history of the SAG Awards. This is no different. These discussions will continue as they normally are done and will not be conducted in the public eye. As such, we have no further comment at this time.

The TVLine write-up has a summary of recent viewership numbers:

This year’s SAG Awards — the first live, in-person award show of 2022 — delivered 1.8 million total viewers across both TNT and TBS, up sharply from the pre-recorded, hour-long presentation that aired in 2021, and down just nine percent from the last pre-pandemic telecast. But going back just five years, the SAG Awards drew nearly 4 million viewers, and a decade ago the audience went higher than 5 million.

22 hours ago, MicheleinPhilly said:

I don't even know what this means. So I have to watch it on YouTube??? 👵

Nominations list:

https://ew.com/awards/sag-awards/2023-sag-awards-nominations-full-list/

I like most of the nominees, with the only major surprises for me being Michelle Williams being replaced by Danielle Deadwyler, and Hong Chau making it ( I would have also considered her for The Menu). As a Filipino, it doesn't look good for Dolly de Leon's Oscar chances if she didn't make SAG.

And finally, we'll see some juicy head-to-head battle between the favorites:

Cate vs. Michelle

Austin vs. Colin

I don't know if the buzz that Brendan is losing steam is true - I don't really think his loss at the GG is an important aspect of his Oscar prospects, but right now it's looking Austin vs. Colin.

EEAAO made a killing on the supporting categories, which probably just paved the way clearer for Bassett. Same for Ke Huy Quan with both Brendan and Barry being nominated for Banshees. Although I won't be shocked by Kerry Condon and Brendan Gleeson winning too. If they win, that may just cement Banshees as the Oscar frontrunner in the major categories, including Best Pic.

I don't think JLC will win anything this season, but her performance and character as a freaking IRS AGENT(!) is one of my favorite performances of the  year. 

Should be a great SAG night! I'm pretty excited!

Posting this link to the You Tube live stream in anticipation of Sunday night's SAG Awards (8:00 p.m. Eastern) so it will be handy for all who are interested in watching. 

Also, in answer to @Avabelle's question above about seeing it in Europe, it will be streamed on Netflix France, along with three Asian nations. 

Screenshot_20230224_182523_YouTube.jpg

• Thanks 2

I voted about ten days ago, and here are my choices:

Film Cast: Everything Everywhere All at Once

Lead Actor: Colin Farrell

Lead Actress: Michelle Yeoh

Supporting Actor: Ke Huy Quan

Supporting Actress: Stephanie Hsu

TV Movie/Miniseries Actor and Actress: Paul Walter Hauser and Amanda Seyfried

Drama Series Ensemble: The White Lotus

Drama Series Actor and Actress: Adam Scott and Julia Garner

Comedy Series Ensemble: Only Murders in the Building

Comedy Series Actor and Actress: Jeremy Allen White and Quinta Brunson

I could post my further thoughts on the film categories, but I wanted to get this in before the ceremony.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

I voted about ten days ago, and here are my choices:

Film Cast: Everything Everywhere All at Once

Lead Actor: Colin Farrell

Lead Actress: Michelle Yeoh

Supporting Actor: Ke Huy Quan

Supporting Actress: Stephanie Hsu

TV Movie/Miniseries Actor and Actress: Paul Walter Hauser and Amanda Seyfried

Drama Series Ensemble: The White Lotus

Drama Series Actor and Actress: Adam Scott and Julia Garner

Comedy Series Ensemble: Only Murders in the Building

Comedy Series Actor and Actress: Jeremy Allen White and Quinta Brunson

I could post my further thoughts on the film categories, but I wanted to get this in before the ceremony.

Thanks! Would love to read more of your thoughts later on how you voted, whenever you have time to post.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, ShadowHunter said:

These I'm an actor speeches are hit and miss. 

They usually are. Although I find they're usually more hit than miss. It's a unique part of the SAG Awards that I actually enjoy.

I also want to mention how I can't believe SAG still refuses to do Supporting categories. That just limits so many people's chances. Like I would love for Niecy to win here but Amanda Seyfried has won everything and Niecy typically would have been in supporting.

eta: Starting right off with the random wins SAG.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, Shorty186 said:

Why is there a person narrating everything single thing happening? The producers should realize this gimmick is not working and needs to stop.

That's not happening on my feed. Are you watching the audio description version? Netflix had that option on the channel. 

4 minutes ago, Valny said:

I love Jessica Chastain but I think I was just as shocked as she was when she won. Was not expecting that. Also didn't expect Sam Elliot to win either

Jessica won the Oscar last year and I hear the members of SAG like her. Sam Elliot has been in the business for what feels like forever and it feels a bit like that is the reason he won. 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

I love Eugene Levy, but that monologue of his went on way too long and wasn’t funny.  Don’t rush the winners and yet let these unfunny presenter monologues go on and on.  

I said it before. Whoever is writing these Presenter bits sucks.  Even Aubrey and Jenna were only funny because of THEM, more than the material.

Actually, these historical clips reinforce that the charisma/timing of the Presenters is mostly what sells ANY of these bit.

Nanny Boss time.  And... even someone with her Charisma and timing is boring saying this official stuff.

Edited by SnarkShark
  • Like 1
Just now, scarynikki12 said:

I have a lot of affection for Fran but this speech is not well delivered.

It is interesting hearing her real voice though.

But there's NO way to make this stuff interesting.

I will say the part about leveraging their power to make ahole politicians behave WAS interesting though.

You KNOW this Presenter writing sucks when Emily Blunt can't make it work.

I love me some Jamie Lee so no argument but WOW I thought Angela had that in the bag. Supporting Actress Oscar just got more competitive.

"I'm wearing the wedding ring my father gave my mother"

Beat

"They hated each other by the end"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

• Like 5