Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual SAG Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Anybody watching?  I'm trying to watch, seems pretty tame so far.  I see Mark Ruffalo isn't there, he must be filming elsewhere or has a theatre engagement.  Nothing surprising so far.

I really need to watch OITNB - and pronto.  Just to see where all the awards are coming from.

Damn. The memorial tribute had me all kinds of teary. I say it every year but damn we sure lost some good ones this year.

I'm glad modern family didn't win best comedy even though OITNB is not on my radar and the actress that won for the lead gave a great speech I thought.

A couple of questions:

Was Debbie Reynolds drunk?

Does anyone eat that food ? The full plates have to have been sitting there for 90 minutes, haven't seen anyone take a bite.

Was Debbie Reynolds drunk?

I suppose it's possible. She's also 82, and this always-sharp woman is perhaps not as sharp as she used to be. I just went through this decline with my own father, and Debbie's appearance saddened me.

Just tuned in here to see if I need to watch the rerun on the West Coast -- looks like a snooze.  Just caught the category for actress in a leading role. Wow, I like Jennifer Aniston a lot, but that dress was just barely covering anything above the waist.  Julianne Moore looks fabulous in that green spangled dress. 

I'm thrilled for Eddie Redmayne!  I loved him in Pillars of the Earth, Les Miserables, and Theory of Everything.  (Haven't seen My Week with Marilyn yet.)  

I was really pulling for Game of Thrones for Best Ensemble, especially since it was Jack Gleeson's last season.  

• Love 2

I am rooting hard for Michael Keaton but this loss doesn't bode well for the Oscars. 

Yeah THR already put up the stat on twitter that 16 of the SAG Best Actor winners went on to win the Oscar and the last 10 have all won. I actually had a very strong feeling that Eddie was going to pull the upset tonight. I'm actually kind of excited that the Best Actor race is an actual race this year and it can go either way come Oscar night.

Okay granted I already watched two seasons before getting bored so maybe I'm not the most unbiased but how in the hell is Downton Abbey still being so lauded? The show is a glorified soap opera. 

• Love 2

Wow, the show finished four minutes early?  I wondered why they were giving every member of Birdman a chance to talk without getting the hook.

Please, Downton Abbey.  It is just an excuse for costumes and scenery.  The initial premise was interesting in season one, but now they are just spinning wheels and killing off the actors smart enough to move on. 

• Love 1

The whole show just seemed very...ordinary.  I wasn't surprised about Birdman, since it won a PGA the other night and it really is a bigger ensemble more than Boyhood.  

I have to say that I enjoy Redmayne's acting and am happy at his accolades - but still think that the Oscar is Keaton's.   

I liked when they were trying to play the last girl off, and then just gave up and the music stopped!

On a shallow note, I really hope that the casual hair, no lipstick, and the long, full skirts that are sheer from the knees down aren't going to be huge trends.   And Giuliana Rancic wasn't do the red carpet this time.  I don't usually like speculating about people's health, but I really hope that she's decided to try and get healthier before the Oscars.

Was the show live? That would explain how they finished on time.

I'm glad they did a Memorium. There are always a few that I didn't know had passed. I always liked James Rebhorn, even when he played the villain, and didn't know.

I think Debbie Reynolds was fine for 82. I don't understand why so many expect the elderly to be sharp.

Okay granted I already watched two seasons before getting bored so maybe I'm not the most unbiased but how in the hell is Downton Abbey still being so lauded? The show is a glorified soap opera. 

IKR?  I just can't with all the acclaim for Downton Abbey.  It is a soap opera in period costume and British accents.  But still a soap.

Was the show live? That would explain how they finished on time.

I think that it helps that they only have to worry about acting.  So no screenwriting or directing or cinematography etc.  Just acting awards.  In reality they probably had to make it about TV and Movies just to fill a two hour stretch.

I am pleased by all the wins except William H. Macy, Kevin Spacey and Downton Abbey.  I think Shameless could do without his character and not miss a beat.  To add insult to injury, Emmy Rossum can't even get a nomination.  Frances McDormand, otoh, killed as Olive Kittredge.  I also would have given the statue to Matthew McCaunaghey over Spacey.  i think his work in True Detective was much more nuanced.  In truth, Matthew riveted me to the screen.  Spacey...the character of Frank Underwood is more interesting that the portrayal of him, imo.

I don't care for Julianne Moore. For some reason, she just grates on my last nerve. I don't understand the fascination.

I happen to like Downton Abbey, but I think every show in that category is excellent.

• Love 2

I only watched for Debbie Reynolds and I was wondering why both Singin' in the Rain AND The Unsinkable Molly Brown were her favorites of her films. I saw her on the TCM cruise just a little over a couple of years ago and she was much more with it. I was sad. Plus, her son had on a ball cap with formal wear.

Zach Galifinakis is looking very svelte these days.

I too was shocked by Debbie Reynolds demeanor.  I know she is getting up there and one of the last few from the golden-age of Hollywood, but damn.  I think we are so used to seeing her so vibrant and bubbly, quick of wit and all that.  I didn't like that Carrie was mugging for the audience during her mother's speech, nor her introduction for her mother, which I know they have a troubled past but always stick it through and through.  I'm still really skeptical about how Carrie will be in the next Star Wars film.

At least Debbie Reynolds can open her mouth when she speaks, which is more than can be said for her daughter. Ms. Debbie looks damn good for her age--good genes? excellent surgeon? outstanding glam squad? I hope I look half as good at 82!

I chalk it up to be 82.  They even had to bring her on stage  during a cut away. 

Why do these award shows not automatically have someone to help these ladies up the stairs??

Time to push out Modern Family, Big Bang and Nurse Jackie from award shows.

I suppose it's possible. She's also 82, and this always-sharp woman is perhaps not as sharp as she used to be. I just went through this decline with my own father, and Debbie's appearance saddened me.

That's what you get when you take pain killers to be able to sit through an event--and that's if the pain killers don't make you throw up. I never go anywhere anymore outside of work and I'm not even eligible for social security. Of course, for the attendees it is work.

I too was shocked by Debbie Reynolds demeanor.  I know she is getting up there and one of the last few from the golden-age of Hollywood, but damn.  I think we are so used to seeing her so vibrant and bubbly, quick of wit and all that.  I didn't like that Carrie was mugging for the audience during her mother's speech, nor her introduction for her mother, which I know they have a troubled past but always stick it through and through.  I'm still really skeptical about how Carrie will be in the next Star Wars film.

I had no idea Carrie Fisher was the daughter of Debbie Reynolds.  Wow!!

I had no idea Carrie Fisher was the daughter of Debbie Reynolds.  Wow!!

Have you seen Postcards from the Edge?  Meryl Streep and Shirley MacLaine play thinly veiled versions of Carrie and Debbie. 

I think Debbie was working very hard at being funny during her acceptance speech, and the forgetfulness was part of the act.

I don't care for Julianne Moore. For some reason, she just grates on my last nerve. I don't understand the fascination.

II don't understand all the praise of Julianne Moore either. She doesn't get on my nerves, I just find her bland and boring. Not much facial expression.

Julia Roberts was embarrassing once again. Is there not one award show where she doesn't make a fool of herself by gushing over her favorite? I actually feel bad for all the actors she signals out. 

• Love 2

I have no opinion of Julianne Moore as a person since I don't know her personally, though she's always seemed pleasant enough. But I have seen a number of films she's been in and in my opinion, she's a brilliant actress who is long overdue an Oscar win. In a world where both Julia Roberts and Gwyneth Paltrow have Best Actress Oscar wins, yeah Julianne is overdue. So I'm thrilled for her that it looks like it is finally going to happen this year. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 10

Julia Roberts was embarrassing once again. Is there not one award show where she doesn't make a fool of herself by gushing over her favorite? I actually feel bad for all the actors she signals out.

It was only a year or so ago that I finally caught on that she makes things all about her or have it lead back to her. Since then she gets muted until she opens an envelope.

• Love 4

So because Crazy, Stupid Love was shown right after the SAG Awards on my coast - I just realized that 3/4 of that movie's main cast is having a heck of awards season this year - Carrell, Stone and Moore. Too bad Ryan Gosling sort of fell off the radar after that year.

Edited by slowpoked
  • Love 1

I thought this show had a few moments of sublime (Viola Davis's win and speech, the sheer joy of the Orange is the New Black crew, and I'd put J.K. Simmons's speech up there too) and a whole lot of WTF. Julia Roberts, THIS IS NOT ABOUT YOU. Birdman cast, GET YOUR SHIT TOGETHER. William H. Macy, YOUR ATTEMPTS AT FUNNY WERE NOT.

The whole look-at-how-diverse-and-progressive-movies-and-TV-are segment felt awfully jolting after the Oscar blowback. I would assume it was planned long before, but yeah...hopefully that led to some squirming, because it should have.

There is an interesting article in the most recent Entertainment Weekly about this stage of Oscar campaigning and the strategy behind it--and how these intermediary awards shows fit into it. Having just read it, I watched a lot of this show through that lens. As a result I think I saw Eddie Redmayne's generally good speech, which I probably would have loved any other year, as cloying.

Julia Roberts, THIS IS NOT ABOUT YOU.

No kidding, not the first time she's hijacked an award she was presenting; same stuff when she presented an acting award to Denzel Washington.

As for Debbie Reynolds, she may be slipping, but I saw her and Carrie a few years ago doing a stage "conversation"?, I guess.  She was the same.

Also, even if she's slipping that was a hell of a story about hairdos and taking precautions!

• Love 1

I thought this show had a few moments of sublime (Viola Davis's win and speech, the sheer joy of the Orange is the New Black crew, and I'd put J.K. Simmons's speech up there too) and a whole lot of WTF. Julia Roberts, THIS IS NOT ABOUT YOU. Birdman cast, GET YOUR SHIT TOGETHER. William H. Macy, YOUR ATTEMPTS AT FUNNY WERE NOT.

The whole look-at-how-diverse-and-progressive-movies-and-TV-are segment felt awfully jolting after the Oscar blowback. I would assume it was planned long before, but yeah...hopefully that led to some squirming, because it should have.

There is an interesting article in the most recent Entertainment Weekly about this stage of Oscar campaigning and the strategy behind it--and how these intermediary awards shows fit into it. Having just read it, I watched a lot of this show through that lens. As a result I think I saw Eddie Redmayne's generally good speech, which I probably would have loved any other year, as cloying.

That's how I felt when Jamie Foxx won for Ray. While he was great in that movie & deserved every a award he won, the fact that he invoked dead grandma at every turn made the story sappy. Edited by HelenBaby

Funny you should mention Jamie Foxx because while I was happy for him getting the awards for "Ray", I became increasingly annoyed with him because whenever he got up on stage to accept an award, he would do Ray's chant and prompt the audience to chant back.   It got real old real fast.

• Love 1

So was there a reason they left out Donna Douglas / Ellie May Clampet from the in memoriam segment?

They will probably include her next year. I was surprised to see Phillip Seymour Hoffman in this year's group. I don't know what cutoff dates they use. Maybe it goes by calendar year? DD passed on January 1.

No kidding, not the first time she's hijacked an award she was presenting; same stuff when she presented an acting award to Denzel Washington.

As for Debbie Reynolds, she may be slipping, but I saw her and Carrie a few years ago doing a stage "conversation"?, I guess.  She was the same.

Also, even if she's slipping that was a hell of a story about hairdos and taking precautions!

Yes, the Denzel Washington award was the event that put me over the edge with Julia Roberts. It was HIS award, and she kept hanging all over him. That and the way David Letterman is so flirty with her --ack!

Red Carpet commentary: I think Alicia Vikander is so beautiful -- not all out glam, but very simply fresh and pretty.

Mmmmmm Jon Hamm!

Dislike Sarah Silverman's dress with the weird pointy things on the top. Just saw someone else in the crowd with a similar look.

Edited by Thumper

Guilianna is off her game tonight. I know she gets a lot of hate but I always have found her and Ryan Seacrest to be two of the better red carpet tv hosts. Tonight though she's just really awkward.

Guilianna is off her game tonight. I know she gets a lot of hate but I always have found her and Ryan Seacrest to be two of the better red carpet tv hosts. Tonight though she's just really awkward.

Yeah, I'm enjoying more of Brad's interviews.

Kate Winslett looked great! Isn't she the one who is always saying she won't be swayed by Hollywood's insistence on being thin?? Riiiight. She does seem like a regular person, though.

I loved the "acting" clip segment!

Me too. A nice selection of new stuff, tv, movies.  I'm really enjoying this so far.  It's moving fast, the nominations make sense, the winners make sense, even if they might not be my choices.

The acting segment made me tear up seeing Rickman, though. I'm assuming an In Memoriam is coming up and I'm going to lose it.

• Love 2