Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual SAG Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

27 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

Ali has pretty much punched his ticket to his second Oscar in 3 years unless the black lash towards the movie from the family strikes a big nerve. 

I think he's the one person who actually is unscathed and for even people who might take issue with things about Green Book (script writer, director, message...etc.) will feel comfortable voting for him.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, slowpoked said:

Oscars Best Supporting Actress just got to be an interesting race. I thought either Amy Adams or Emma Stone would have won it.

I actually think it helps solidify Regina King's win. Because even with her not in the category, the three women up against her for the Oscar (Amy Adams, Rachel Weisz and Emma Stone) still lost. And lost to a woman who got completely snubbed by the Oscars. 

• Love 6
1 minute ago, truthaboutluv said:

I actually think it helps solidify Regina King's win. Because even with her not in the category, the three women up against her for the Oscar (Amy Adams, Rachel Weisz and Emma Stone) still lost. And lost to a woman who got completely snubbed by the Oscars. 

This.  I bet Rachel Weisz will win the BAFTA.  Regina gets her Oscar.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

That may be the case. But I'm still having a hard time believing Regina King will suddenly, out of nowhere, pull off the win, when the biggest voting group for the Oscars didn't even nominate her to contend for the award at SAG.

Edited by slowpoked
  • Love 1

Malek winning made the Best Actor race THAT more interesting.   I saw both Bohemian Rhapsody and Vice.  I loved Bale in Vice, but I really didn't like it as a movie.  I enjoyed Bohemian Rhapsody, Malek was outstanding as Mercury, and my sister said it's probably the one biopic she actually cared for.  

Also, I need my final season of Mr Robot.

Edited by mtlchick
  • Love 3

Rami's performance was awesome, but the movie itself is a gorgeous mess  (don't get me started on the terrible director).  I'm glad Rami won, but I'm starting to feel a little sorry for Bradley Cooper; he's put so much of himself into his movie that I'm afraid how he's going to cope if he doesn't get any awards this season.

• Love 4

I only just discovered the Americans and binge watched all 6 seasons over the past several weeks. That ensemble was stellar and, while not wanting to take anything away from the quality of the This is Us cast, the Americans deserved it more, IMHO.

• Love 12
1 minute ago, shipmate said:

I only just discovered the Americans and binge watched all 6 seasons over the past several weeks. That ensemble was stellar and, while not wanting to take anything away from the quality of the This is Us cast, the Americans deserved it more, IMHO.

I agree 100%. I’ve watched ( and liked) them both ...The Americans is so much more complex and well acted.

• Love 9
Just now, shipmate said:

I really thought The Americans was going to win this year.  I was shocked that TIU won again.

• Love 6
15 minutes ago, slowpoked said:

That may be the case. But I'm still having a hard time believing Regina King will suddenly, out of nowhere, pull off the win, when the biggest voting group for the Oscars didn't even nominate her to contend for the award at SAG.

It won't entirely be out of nowhere, since she cleaned up with the critics and won the Globes. I understand regarding the voting group for the Oscars but one, I can believe the theory that the screeners for If Beale Street Could Talk didn't get out to the SAG voters in time and two, the Supporting categories especially have had many out of nowhere wins on Oscar night. 

3 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

Black Panther?!  Well, Green Book wasn't here but...FOOP!  Didn't see this one coming at all. 

I did. SAG Ensemble award isn't necessarily about the Best Picture in terms of writing, directing, production, etc. It's just about the collective group of actors. And I had a feeling for what the film represented more than anything that fellow actors would vote for it. They won't win the Oscar but not surprised by the SAG win. I thought it would either be them or A Star is Born as a way for the voters to reward Gaga and Bradley since they weren't winning the Lead Actor/Actress categories. 

• Love 2