Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual SAG Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Morgan, we love you. Please don't turn out to be a creep.

I heard years back that he’s known to be creepy in Mississippi. Take that with however many grains of salt you want, but it’s c/o folks who live there.

I thought Kristen Bell did a nice job, Andrea Zuckerman did not, and I think the white ladies need to have a sit down meeting to talk (learn?) about intersectionality.

Edited by hendersonrocks

The first thing I thought when I saw Niecy Nash’s dress was BOOBS.  The dress was beautiful  and I loved the color on her but her boobs were pretty front and center to say the least she carried it well and she has nice boobs so I guess she saw the benefit in showcasing them.  Millie Bobbie Brown looked so cute with her hair in the little rolled buns.  

I’m glad Nicole Kidman said she had the flu because while she managed to look fantastic, you could see when she was onstage that she basically had a deathly pallor to her being covered by lots of makeup. I hope shes ok. Sometimes people attempt to power through stuff like this and end up being gravely ill. 

...and that’s how I know I’ve become a middle aged mom.

On 1/22/2018 at 0:40 AM, Paws said:

I’m glad Nicole Kidman said she had the flu because while she managed to look fantastic, you could see when she was onstage that she basically had a deathly pallor to her being covered by lots of makeup. I hope shes ok. Sometimes people attempt to power through stuff like this and end up being gravely ill. 

...and that’s how I know I’ve become a middle aged mom.

Hope she didn't infect anyone else.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Ms.Moon said:

Millie Bobbie Brown looked so cute with her hair in the little rolled buns.  

I'm glad she decided her to dress "more her age."  She's 13.  I don't know why she normally dresses like she's over 25.  It's a stupid hang up of mine, but I still want tweens to be tweens especially in an industry like this. 

10 hours ago, ShadowHunter said:

Seeing James Franco was awkward.

It felt like no one wanted to be seen applauding for him when 2 weeks ago they were cheering his win. 

Just now, mtlchick said:

I'm glad she decided her to dress "more her age."  She's 13.  I don't know why she normally dresses like she's over 25.  It's a stupid hang up of mine, but I still want tweens to be tweens especially in an industry like this. 

I thought the converse were cute, even though a simple ballet flats would have been fine and age-appropriate (the issue before were those awful, weird clunky ass heels they would put her in) but the dress was awful and just weird. 

Franco showing up was surprising and pretty damn ballsy. I guess he figured he had no shot of winning anyway so there wouldn't be the awkwardness of him having to give a speech. But crazier shit has happened and yeah, would have been very interesting if by some crazy twist of fate, he'd won. After all, final voting ended long before the scandal about him broke, as well as the final ballot count. 

I was incredibly bored with the show last night. I know it's not the winners' fault and I'm sure they are all deserving of their wins but man, the SAG can be incredibly repetitive and predictable at times. Did William H. Macy really need to win again for Shameless? Especially since the show has sucked for the last three seasons. Or Julia Louis Dreyfuss again (I wish her nothing but the best though in her battle)? Hell, they even did a repeat with Claire Foy and while that at least provided an unexpected moment since everyone and their mother figured Elisabeth Moss would win, it was in a way still predictable. The winners in the movie category were all expected. This Is Us winning Best Drama was maybe surprising but not really. I guess I'm just tired of seeing the same people, in the same categories, giving more or less the same speech. 

11 hours ago, morakot said:

I'm impressed that all the presenters were women.
I am less impressed that the range of shows and movies was so limited. The comedy ensembles, for example, didn't even include The Good Place, or Brooklyn 99, just to mention two.

I am getting irritated at all the repeatism, there are other shows out there, besides VEEP. There are other actresses besides JLD. Branch out, people. The Good Place is brilliant, for one. Give other shows a freakin' chance.

19 hours ago, ProudMary said:

I've never been all that blown away by Nicole Kidman's performances in the past but IMO she was amazing in Big Little Lies.  She's deserved each of the many awards she's won this season.

I thought she was awesome in Lion and Dogville. But by golly, when they say "Nicole Kidman has never been better.." when they describe her in BLL, it's so true. I can't imagine anyone else doing this role and being as fantastic as she was. Gosh, not even a younger Meryl Streep. Never have I seen therapy scenes before so riveting, and that was all her. 

So I'm glad she's getting all the accolades she deserves for this role. And at her age!! Even if it may be overkill to some.

Edited by slowpoked
  • Love 4

I was kinda bored by the whole thing, kept falling asleep (and I never do that during awards shows). Winners were repetitive: Big Little Lies again, Three Billboards... again, This Is Us again. And I feel like the all-female presenters fell a bit flat. #MeToo #TIMESUP are great, but it seems a bit overboard to ban men from presenting. (If it's from fear of an Ansari/J. Franco revelation, I get it, but still...)

Edited by FoundTime
b/c spelling
9 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

I thought the converse were cute, even though a simple ballet flats would have been fine and age-appropriate (the issue before were those awful, weird clunky ass heels they would put her in) but the dress was awful and just weird. 

The dress was ugly imo, but the worst part was that she was clearly not comfortable in it. She kept adjusting the open side and folding her arms to cover it in her E! interview. I felt bad for her.

2 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

The dress was ugly imo, but the worst part was that she was clearly not comfortable in it. She kept adjusting the open side and folding her arms to cover it in her E! interview. I felt bad for her.

According to the gossip blogs her parents want her to be cast in more grown up roles and want her to appear to be older so she can be offered these type of roles.  I hope this is not true and she has a stylist who is inconsistent in the pieces that they choose because too many child stars have been through crappy childhoods with parents messed up priorities.  

What drives me crazy is when an actor (in this case I think it was Allison Janney) talking about another actor's "bravery" is their performance. I'm sorry, a fireman running into a burning building is brave, an actor emoting intensely is not.

• Love 2

SAG has announced that Alan Alda will receive its Lifetime Achievement Award at the January 2019 program.

SAG-AFTRA has selected Alan Alda as the 55th recipient of its annual life achievement award, which he will receive at the 2019 SAG Awards on Jan. 27.

Alda, best-known for his role as Army Capt. "Hawkeye" Pierce on CBS' beloved military comedy M*A*S*H, became the first person to have won acting, directing and writing Emmys for the same series. Since the M*A*S*H series finale in 1983, still one of the highest-rated programs in the U.S. of all time, watched by 106 million people, he has appeared on TV shows including ER, The West Wing, 30 Rock, The Big C, The Blacklist, Horace and Pete and The Good Fight and in such films as Manhattan Murder Mystery, Everyone Says I Love You, The Object of My Affection, The Aviator, Tower Heist and Bridge of Spies. Alda will next be seen in an untitled Noah Baumbach project starring Scarlett Johansson and Adam Driver. In addition to his six Emmys, he has earned six Golden Globes, an Oscar nomination, three Tony nominations and four SAG Award nomiations, and is one of only six people to have received Oscar, Tony and Emmy nominations in the same year.

The SAG Life Achievement Award is given to an actor who fosters the finest ideals of the profession.

“It is an honor and privilege to announce that our SAG Life Achievement Award will be presented to the fabulous Alan Alda,” SAG-AFTRA president Gabrielle Carteris said Thursday in a statement. “He is an artist whose body of work is a testament to the craft and the magic of our business. His ability to make us laugh, to think and to feel is extraordinary. From theater to television, movies, and new media Alan’s dedication and talent are exceeded only by his contributions to a just and caring society.”

He joins past recipients including Lily Tomlin, Carol Burnett, Debbie Reynolds, Dick Van Dyke, Mary Tyler Moore, Ernest Borgnine and Betty White.

Alda recently revealed that he was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease three and a half years ago.

And FWIW, I think it does require a certain courage to tap into the dark parts of oneself that make it possible to "emote intensely" in a believable way.

• Love 2

I guess SAG knows that The Americans' last season was eligible for this year's awards, since the show garnered an ensemble nod, but Matthew Rhys wins the freakin' Emmy and SAG doesn't even nominate him?  Pfffft.

Edited by Inquisitionist
Typo
  • Love 3
52 minutes ago, Inquisitionist said:

SAG people need to watch more TV comedies.  Two noms for Barry, two for Kominsky Method, one for Mrs. Maisel, while omitting Andre Braugher from Brooklyn Nine-Nine?  A travesty.

Andre Braugher should receive a nomination every year, no matter what he's in.  The man is seriously one of the best actors on the planet!

• Love 5

Am I correct in thinking that the only red carpet arrival coverage today is via streaming?   In other words, are there no shows on E!'s actual channel, or on any channel?  it's all online?   

5 minutes ago, TVFan17 said:

Am I correct in thinking that the only red carpet arrival coverage today is via streaming?   In other words, are there no shows on E!'s actual channel, or on any channel?  it's all online?   

Odd. I may be wrong but if memory serves me right E! does do a SAG Awards red carpet show. So surprising if they're not doing it this year. Especially since it'll give them more opportunity to kiss Lady Gaga's ass.

1 hour ago, truthaboutluv said:

Odd. I may be wrong but if memory serves me right E! does do a SAG Awards red carpet show. So surprising if they're not doing it this year. Especially since it'll give them more opportunity to kiss Lady Gaga's ass.

You're right -- E! has previously done a red carpet show for SAG, and it's always been shown on their actual channel.  I was looking for a start time for it earlier, and I didn't see anything in my cable listings.    So if they are doing a show, they are doing a terrible job of promoting it.

I only see a reference to streaming on other platforms here -- https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/awards/8495123/2019-sag-awards-red-carpet-live-stream

I'm going to try watching online here, and if this one doesn't work I will try one of the other sites listed in the article I linked above -- https://people.com/

Edited by TVFan17
Just now, Macbeth said:

I tried but I couldn't watch this. The "repartee" between Megan and Alec was too painful.

But Tony's speech was very nice

It was painful and awful. I screamed at them to shut up and just announce the winner lol.

• Love 4

I have a lot of goodwill toward Tony Shalhoub on the basis of Monk too. And Rachel Brosnahan was really good in the late (and lamented, at least by me) WGN series, Manhattan. I think what turns me off about Mrs. Maisel is Amy Sherman-Palladino's association with it. She is just too much for me.

• Love 2