Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual SAG Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

It's petty but I went off Janney at the Globes when she went off On a tangent about how great Tonya Harding was. I actually went off Margot Robbie as well. I know it's stupid but I hated how they were almost endorsing her.

Giulianna I know is hated by lots around here but anyone feel she's a little off tonight? She at least usually appears interested and has good energy and control of the interviews. She looks so bored and awkward tonight.

Allison Wiliams's hair looked .. Odd.  Also maybe too much hairspray or gel?  Hair was separating and looked stiff.

I still can't believe they even made that movie about Tonya Harding.  Blecchhh.  

Edit: TonyA, not Tony!  Thanks to @Neurochick for noticing!

Edited by Thumper

I feel like nobody is in the mood for this event. Everyone is coming off as tired and goon get through the motions. Giulianna reminds me of myself when I'm hungover and in work - just nodding along but really wishing I was anywhere else and trying not to puke.

5 minutes ago, Thumper said:

I still can't believe they even made that movie about Tony Harding.  Blecchhh.  

LOL Tony Harding.  

I'm surprised they made a movie about her; but I don't get the hatred surrounding her.  It's not like she should be executed or something.

Metallics certainly are big on the carpet tonight, which I love.  I hope we get the chance to see the bottom of Olivia Munn's gown.  It looks nice, just seeing the top of it!

I liked Yara Shahidi's look.  She's become someone I watch for on the red carpet.  I just like her style.  I liked her TV mom's look too.  Tracee looked great in that white Grecian gown.

Kate Hudson is a fashion don't for me tonight.

1 minute ago, Neurochick said:

LOL Tony Harding.  

I'm surprised they made a movie about her; but I don't get the hatred surrounding her.  It's not like she should be executed or something.

Oops, typo!  Thanks -- will fix it.

re: the movie.  To me, it is like she is getting publicity (and enjoying it) for a terrible thing she was involved in.

4 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

LOL Tony Harding.  

I don't think she should be executed. I don't think she should be praised and made out to be a victim either though and it bugs me that Allison and Margot are endorsing her as such when in reality she has admitted to at the very least having an idea of the awful thing her ex husband was going to do to her rival. She never even apologised.

Watching her troll the red carpet dressed in black at the Globes was the biggest joke of the night. Especially given the night that was in it.

Edited by Chas411
  • Love 1

I feel this way about Tonya Harding.  Before the assault, I hated how Nancy Kerrigan was the "princess" where Tonya was seen as...well, not a princess.  It was like that four years before with Katirina Witt and Debbie Thomas.  It's about what someone, usually a man, thinks is and isn't feminine.  Before the assault, I always got the feeling the press especially were rooting for Nancy, for no other reason than what she looked like.  

Award shows:  They're too close together.  When the Oscars used to be in April the awards shows were spread out, now it's one right after the other.  I don't like that there are so many streaming/premium cable shows nominated.  Not everybody can afford Netflix/Amazon Prime/Hulu and/or HBO/Showtime.  

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, Fostersmom said:

What the hell is Connie wearing? Mandy doesn't look much better. 

Connie's dress looked like it came from the Dynasty collection.  Very 1985.  I can't believe that big shouldered look is back in style again.

I don't know if there onslaught of award shows, or what's going on in Hollywood about sexual assault and the wage gap, but this seems a lot more tempered and down beat.  Maybe people were hoping they turned a corner after the Golden Globes but a lot happened in two weeks.

Meanwhile Alison Janney is poised to swipe the Oscar from Laurie Metcalfe.  I think the Lady Bird team need to re-evaluate the strategy.

(edited)

If Allison Williams had a couple of sheer panels on her dress and it was lower cut she'd be full on stripper fairy time - as it is it's either X-mas Ornament or Marie Antoinette curtains.

I full on dig some Sam Rockwell - he is a great actor, equally deft in comedy and drama, and has done such a variety of characters.

Edited by CherryMalotte

You know nothing says how much you expected to win the award than accepting with a hackneyed unfunny bit. Way to be a bunch of classless fucks, veep cast. 

As for Sam it was a good speech, though the very end was a clear nod to the complaints about him not speaking up during the golden globes

9 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

Meanwhile Alison Janney is poised to swipe the Oscar from Laurie Metcalfe.  I think the Lady Bird team need to re-evaluate the strategy.

I adore Allison Janney and admittedly I have not yet seen I, Tonya but I thought sure that Laurie Metcalf had the Supporting Actress award wrapped up.  You're right; it's not looking too good for her right now.

What is the deal with Kristen Bell's dress.

Was she uncertain if this was a night where everyone wore black in protest and brought a sequined cover up as a back up or did she don a second dress that is designed to look like its being worn over her red carpet dress.

I'm only catching enough of this to become confused.

It is a little much for Kidman to shout out to older actresses when she has gone to such extremes to look young.

I think Kidman might be goofy on cold meds. She mispronounced Sarandon’s name pretty bad.

I’m getting a little tired of the Big Little Lies “we’re all girlfriends and we love each other so much!” shtick. The more they do it, the less I believe it.

5 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

What is the deal with Kristen Bell's dress.

Was she uncertain if this was a night where everyone wore black in protest and brought a sequined cover up as a back up or did she don a second dress that is designed to look like its being worn over her red carpet dress.

I'm only catching enough of this to become confused.

It's pretty normal for an awards' show host to wear one gown to walk the carpet and then a second (or third) for their hosting duty.

1 minute ago, mtlchick said:

At least the Big Little Lies party ends tonight (and I still have to watch it. )  

But Nicole won her FIRST SAG?  I guess the actor community didn't think much of her for decades until now. 

I've never been all that blown away by Nicole Kidman's performances in the past but IMO she was amazing in Big Little Lies.  She's deserved each of the many awards she's won this season.

Didn’t Morgan Freeman have an affair with his step-granddaughter? I’mafraid the creep train has left the station.

Olivia Munn and Niecy Nash screeching over each other and pretending they didn’t know what the actors did was excruciating and disrespectful. The actors looked annoyed in their live shots.

47 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

According to IMDb, Rita Moreno is 87. Born 12/11/1931.  That's got to be a typo.  Not only does she look great, she still looks like Rita Moreno!  Those are some fabulous genes!

Since her birthday's in December, she's only 86 today. That must explain how great she looks.  :-) 

• Love 1

I commend Frances for not wearing makeup. It's a brave thing not to do during awards shows. It wouldn't take much effort to brush her hair though especially since she knew she was nominated and would probably win.

Gabrielle Carteris and Niecy Nash's dresses made me scared for them due to it looking like their breasts could escape at any moment on "Live" TV.

I like how the SAG Awards hand out the awards and the show gets done around the 2 Hour point or a few minutes over since they don't add a lot of time filling crap.

Edited by Jaded

I'm impressed that all the presenters were women.
I am less impressed that the range of shows and movies was so limited. The comedy ensembles, for example, didn't even include The Good Place, or Brooklyn 99, just to mention two.