Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual SAG Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

So this is all pre taped? I was sort of hoping for a “Daniel Kaluuya gets muted while accepting his awards awkward” moment.

But kudos to the actor who decided to sit in his car for his category. 

• LOL 1

I now watch for Jason Sudekis and his award show sweat shirts.

I do not have Apple TV, but Ted Lasso seems the flagship series that The Morning Show was supposed to be.

I love Helen Mirren but I am not feeling that bun. 

3 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

I now watch for Jason Sudekis and his award show sweat shirts.

I do not have Apple TV, but Ted Lasso seems the flagship series that The Morning Show was supposed to be.

I'm not getting another streaming service. This show seems funny but I can't anymore with all these services.

• Love 4

At with that, Schitt’s Creek walks off the awards show circuit in style.

Ah-drea Zuckerman, I have some actor friends who would like a word with you about the new rules for health insurance. Outside.

• Love 3
Just now, ShadowHunter said:

I'm not getting another streaming service. This show seems funny but I can't anymore with all these services.

Same.  Everyone says good things about Ted Lasso, but I just can't. I have too many now.

Glad Mark Ruffalo  won the complete set- Emmy, Golden Globes, and now SAG for his extraordinary acting.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, PepSinger said:

History was made tonight. All 4 actors for the motion pictures awards are actors of color!

It's remarkable. Let's hope this can be repeated at the Oscars in 3 weeks

• Love 2
13 hours ago, ShadowHunter said:

I've been willing to carry multiple services during the pandemic since I'm not paying for movie and theater tickets.  But when we're back to "normal," I might try what I've heard some other people do: rotate my subscriptions, i.e., Netflix for a month or two, then Hulu, then maybe AppleTV.  Most of their content stays put for a few months at least.

13 hours ago, ShadowHunter said:

Yuh-Jung Youn was very surprised and nervous. That was nice. Sweet speech.

Loved her speech.  She was so touched and moved.  I think Glenn and Olivia are class acts.  You could see that they were so thrilled for Youn, smiling the whole time and giving her encouragement about her English.  Unlike Maria Bakalova and the other woman, who just sat there stone faced.

As much as I want Glenn Close to win the Oscar, I would be thrilled if Yuh-Jung Youn wins.  This SAG award may very well mean that Glenn will lose at the Oscars yet again, but it didn't stop her from beaming in joy for Youn.  Glenn Close is such a consummate professional.  I hope she gets her Oscar one day.

12 hours ago, PepSinger said:

History was made tonight. All 4 actors for the motion pictures awards are actors of color!

Happy as well for the incredible Viola Davis.  All of the pundits had already counted her out and said this is Carey Mulligan's year, but I really felt like Viola transformed herself into Ma Rainey.  She consistently turns in award-worthy performances in everything she does. No idea what this means for the Oscar since Globe winner Andra Day wasn't even nominated here.  I think the actors group is the largest voting group at the Oscars (?) so maybe that bodes well for Viola's chances.  But I like that the four acting awards at the Oscars aren't already foregone conclusions.

• Love 3

This shows that it indeed is possible to have an awards show that doesn’t drag on and on and on...

They even were able to feature the roll call of the dead. 

Nicely done, SAG. 

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, BetterButter said:

I'm very disappointed that Jamie Dornan and Judi Dench didn't get nominations for "Belfast".  Dornan's omission hurts.  He's had a great year, with "Barb and Star", "Belfast" and "The Tourist", and I think he was fantastic in "Belfast", perhaps his best work in his career.  I don't think many expected Dench to get nominated for much of anything, but she could read a phone book and I would give her a nomination.  And her turn in "Belfast" was particularly poignant and heartbreaking.

Much is being made of Kristen Stewart being snubbed, but to that I say.... eh.  I think she's a mediocre actress at best and I view her performance in "Spencer" as more of an impression than acting.  I think Nicole Kidman definitely deserves a nomination.  Not so sure about Jennifer Hudson.  Some seem to be saying that Stewart lost a nomination because they had to make sure that the actress slate wasn't all-white.

"The Power of the Dog" didn't get a Best Ensemble nod.  Which I think is justified because I thought the performances were decent but the movie itself was boring.  And this award is considered the equivalent of the Best Picture category.  Wonder what this means for its Oscar chances.

Edited by blackwing

I don't care either that Kristen Stewart didn't get nominated as I don't like her much and don't think she is a great actress. 

Happy Evan Peters was nominated he is a good actor and it was annoying he was just known as the American Horror Story guy lol. 

Jared Leto for House of Gucci I don't know lol. Some say he was the best thing about that movie and he was the only one who understood the assignment but not for the right reasons.

On 1/12/2022 at 11:54 AM, blackwing said:

"The Power of the Dog" didn't get a Best Ensemble nod.  Which I think is justified because I thought the performances were decent but the movie itself was boring.  And this award is considered the equivalent of the Best Picture category.  Wonder what this means for its Oscar chances.

Probably nothing. People say this often about SAG Ensemble being the equivalent of the Best Picture and I don't actually agree. SAG actually traditionally does not predict the Best Picture winner because SAG, as the category states, really is about awarding the collective ensemble of performances in a film.

And a film can collectively have a strong group of performances but still not be the best picture because maybe the writing wasn't the greatest or the direction or cinematography. So I still think Power of the Dog is at this point the heavy favorite for Best Picture, despite not getting an ensemble nomination. That said, I do think if CODA keeps gaining steam, it could be the upset come Oscar night. 

The other categories were also not so surprising to me, again, based on SAG's nomination trends in the last few years. Of course they showed House of Gucci, a film loaded with big name performers, some love. Same with finding some way to throw Don't Look Up in there. I still think the key players this award season will be Power of the Dog, CODA and Belfast, with Dune being a strong factor for the technical categories and maybe a bone or two throne for West Side Story because, you know...Spielberg.

Regarding the television categories, my only request is that can the voters finally give Elisabeth Moss that damn award. I don't care if the show isn't as strong as it was in the earlier seasons.

But my goodness, that woman has won every award possible for the role but every year SAG voters either decide to stick to a previous winner or give some okay actress their "moment" (looking at you Aniston).

Edited by truthaboutluv

Interesting piece of trivia in that both Jennifer Hudson and Cynthia Erivo are nominated for portraying the same character (Aretha Franklin) in different projects in the same year.

I'm really pulling for Andrew Garfield to win all the awards, as IMO, he was a revelation in tick, tick...BOOM, but Best Actor is absolutely stacked this year. Will Smith is long overdue, Cumberbatch is due and supposedly excellent in this role (although I have no real interest in seeing the film) and I don't think Denzel Washington can ever be counted out. With DW, it's similar to having Meryl Streep nominated in any given year. You never know when the voters will decide that the performance is just too hard to overlook. Denzel+Shakespeare being voted on by actors: Who knows? I think Bardem's the only bridesmaid of this bunch. JMO, of course. 

19 hours ago, ProudMary said:

I'm really pulling for Andrew Garfield to win all the awards, as IMO, he was a revelation in tick, tick...BOOM, but Best Actor is absolutely stacked this year. Will Smith is long overdue, Cumberbatch is due and supposedly excellent in this role (although I have no real interest in seeing the film) and I don't think Denzel Washington can ever be counted out. With DW, it's similar to having Meryl Streep nominated in any given year. You never know when the voters will decide that the performance is just too hard to overlook. Denzel+Shakespeare being voted on by actors: Who knows? I think Bardem's the only bridesmaid of this bunch. JMO, of course. 

I like Andrew Garfield in this role, but I think Will Smith should have this one locked up.  IMO Benedict Cumberbatch is NOT due... I think most people had never heard of him until about 10 years ago with "Sherlock".  And honestly, besides the Marvel movies, I don't think I could name more than two movies he appeared in with any significance before "The Power of the Dog". 

Will Smith is very much beloved and he's been around in movies since the mid 90s with "Bad Boys" and "Independence Day", and before that, as the Fresh Prince on TV since the early 90s.  I thought he was great as Richard Williams.

17 minutes ago, blackwing said:

And honestly, besides the Marvel movies, I don't think I could name more than two movies he appeared in with any significance before "The Power of the Dog". 

He was amazing in The Imitation Game, which got him his first Oscar nomination. That said, I do agree that he’s certainly not an actor I’d categorize as due for an Oscar win. 

Will Smith really has had a fairly impressive career, especially considering where he started from. If anyone wants to see how much Will has grown as an actor, revisit the first season of The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. There was a lot of cringeworthy acting moments.

• Love 2

Looking at the nominees for Best Ensemble Cast in a Motion Picture…really? Those were the best film cast they could nominate? Not In the Heights, West Side Story, or Tick, Tick…Boom? Or a bunch of other movies that got snubbed? But House of Gucci made the cut?

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 3
12 minutes ago, Avabelle said:

Love Laverne Cox dress and hair. She looks amazing. 

Disappointed E! Don’t have full coverage of the red carpet though.

Plus Laverne doesn't say Obsessed every 2 minutes like another host does over and over lol.

• Love 1

I think she’s just saying it when she has to fill time or something. I like her but I’ll admit that I do miss Giulianna a bit. She always seemed at ease at the live events. Anyone else who does it I feel always seems stressed or a bit manic.

I don’t know if it’s just E! But I feel like nobody is in the mood for tonight. They seem tired or something or maybe it’s just the questions.

I feel the cue cards with a gazillion questions are stressing Laverne and preventing her from having a proper flow with the celebrities.

1 hour ago, ShadowHunter said:

I remember this Luke Grimes guy from True Blood. Something happened behind the scenes and they recast his role in the next season. 

Yes, his character (like ALL characters on True Blood) was going to have a storyline involving gay love scenes.  I believe his character was going to have an affair with Lafayette.  He quit the show because he didn't want to kiss another guy.  He did play a closeted cop in the 2015 movie Freeheld (which I never saw but is based on a true story); presumably, though, that role was fine because he didn't have to kiss a dude to play it.

40 minutes ago, Avabelle said:

I think she’s just saying it when she has to fill time or something. I like her but I’ll admit that I do miss Giulianna a bit. She always seemed at ease at the live events. Anyone else who does it I feel always seems stressed or a bit manic.

I think she did a decent job, but yes Giulianna always seemed at ease. I think because she had met every celebrity and no one phased her.