Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual SAG Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Just now, truthaboutluv said:

I think this is going to be a repeat of two years ago and the same four actors are going to sweep Awards season.

I won't be mad if Pitt finally wins, but the same 4 leading the pack all season sort of makes for a dull telecast.  Best picture and director are up for grabs, but there isn't much excitement this time.  I think the shorter time this season leaves little room for unpredictability. 

• Love 1
Just now, mtlchick said:

I won't be mad if Pitt finally wins, but the same 4 leading the pack all season sort of makes for a dull telecast.

They just need to make sure they give a good speech. Brad's a sure thing so we'll worry about the other three.

1 minute ago, scarynikki12 said:

They just need to make sure they give a good speech. Brad's a sure thing so we'll worry about the other three.

Joaquin has come a long way since the Globes. Renee seems to be getting worse. 

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

but the same 4 leading the pack all season sort of makes for a dull telecast. 

Yes it does. Which is why to be honest, I barely watched the Oscars two years ago. It was nothing against the actors but since I'm hardly some huge Frances McDormand or Gary Oldman, etc. fan, it was just "whatever".

And it wasn't just the acting. All the major categories that year was all but sewn up. The only thing that did have some intrigue was Best Picture because it was a close fight between Shape of Water and Three Billboards. 

Interesting that Parasite won best acting ensemble and no individual nominations at all.  I've never even heard of this movie and everyone in the SAG audience is just going crazy for it.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Frost said:

Interesting that Parasite won best acting ensemble and no individual nominations at all.  I've never even heard of this movie and everyone in the SAG audience is just going crazy for it.

I think that happened last year with Black Panther.

Seriously go see it, it's such an amazing movie. It's a movie that will stay with you long after it's over. 

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Frost said:

IT IS FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!

The individual actors are brilliant and their lack of recognition at the Globes, SAG, and Oscars has been a point of controversy this awards season.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, scarynikki12 said:

I don't know if Allison Janney has a project she's promoting or not but it's sweet that she's sitting with Margot Robbie.

Allison's there as part of Bombshell ensemble.

• Love 2
On 1/19/2020 at 10:11 PM, mtlchick said:

The Irishman is losing steam very fast. 

Irishman and Marriage Story have both lost a lot of steam. Heading into Oscars, this is all about Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, 1917 and Parasite. 

On 1/19/2020 at 10:13 PM, Browncoat said:

Parasite really is an ensemble piece.  It would be very difficult to separate out a lead vs. supporting role.

That's how I felt about Spotlight some years ago. I know Rachel McAdams and Mark Ruffalo got individual acting nods for it but honestly, I felt the film was such a collective work. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, Growsonwalls said:

Ok does anyone know why the SAG awards are so sober? Compared to the Golden Globes and even the Academy Awards the SAG awards often seem like a funeral. 

I actually thought this show was better then the Globes.  

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

Ok does anyone know why the SAG awards are so sober? Compared to the Golden Globes and even the Academy Awards the SAG awards often seem like a funeral. 

Because it’s a televised work event. The actors are the voting body and the winners, so they’re hosting the event too.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

I thought it was a good show but I think it seems more serious for a few reasons: 1) anyone who got a little too drunk happy at the Globes is probably on their best behavior, 2) this is their own guild awarding them instead of 100 foreign journalists so the award automatically means much more, and 3) the Oscar nominations are already announced so the winners here know their chances of winning there have increased dramatically which then has a major effect on their careers.

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Irishman and Marriage Story has lost a lot of steam. Heading into Oscars, this is all about Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, 1917 and Parasite. 

I think when the field got defined and the coast cleared, people realized there are much more creative and fresh films out there. 

Plus who knows, there may still be a bias against Netflix in the industry. 

I'm just so happy for Parasite - the little engine that could. Hopefully, this opens more doors for Bong Joon Ho in Hollywood. He really is a creative storyteller.

Edited by slowpoked
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, ShadowHunter said:

I actually thought this show was better then the Globes.  

Yeah, I agree. Other than the Tom Hanks tribute I enjoyed this show more (and the Robert DeNiro tribute here was really good.) Brad Pitt is coming with the jokes in all his speeches and it's great. I LOVED what DeNiro said about how it doesn't matter if you're an actor, musician, athlete, etc. you have every right to speak up about what happens in this country.

Even though he's been losing all of the major awards for some reason I had a feeling Sam Rockwell would win tonight. Clearly he had no idea which might be why he forgot to comb his hair. Jharrel Jerome might need to work on his gracious loser face because he looked kind of pissed.

I was livid with the curtain call montage. Once again Elementary was left out. It sucked when they did that at the Emmy's but they left off a lot of shows. This time they were a whole bunch of shows and still it was left out despite being on air for seven years.

Luke Perry in the In Memoriam gets me every time! 😭

Joaquin's speech was my favorite, though. So sweet and sincere and cute. I don't know if they just didn't have time or she wasn't in the audience at the time or they weren't prepared for it, but I was almost surprised after he mentioned Heath they didn't cut to a shot of Michelle Williams. But it was really sweet that he mentioned him.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

I was livid with the curtain call montage. Once again Elementary was left out. It sucked when they did that at the Emmy's but they left off a lot of shows. This time they were a whole bunch of shows and still it was left out despite being on air for seven years.

Elementary--the red headed step-child that never got the love it deserved. Like you said, it was on for seven years, made a shit ton of money for CBS, and hardly ever got any recognition, during or after its run. It will forever annoy me that Jonny Lee Miller was never recognized for his portrayal of Sherlock.

<sigh>

I wonder how Clyde is doing.

Aside from that glaring omission, I enjoyed the show.

• Love 1

Not that I'd ever want Brad Pitt to get back together with Muff Mouth, aka Jennifer Aniston, but I'd like to imagine smoke coming out of Angelina's ears seeing them together after the SAG awards.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, lb60 said:

I wonder how Clyde is doing.

Clyde is munching on his lettuce and ignoring whatever antics the strange humans are up to now.

47 minutes ago, Chas411 said:

Was Renee Zellweger always that southern?

When she took a break from acting she went home to Texas. I think the accent came back and she's just going with it now.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, Chas411 said:

Was Renee Zellweger always that southern?

This reminds me of Hugh Grant talking about Renee during his Inside the Actors Studio interview.  He said that her British accent was so good that when "Texan Renee" finally came out at the wrap party, he found her "frankly, unconvincing."  Hee.

• LOL 6

My sisters and I grew up outside Houston and I now live elsewhere.  Sometimes people think I have no accent, and sometimes they laugh at how strong it is. Some of my sisters have really thick accents and some have none.  It’s kinda fascinating.

I wonder if Renee’s nerves play a part in how much Texas comes out.

Here are the nominations:  https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/04/entertainment/sag-award-nominations-2021/index.html

Happy to see that unlike the Globes, the SAGs got it right and nominated both Steven Yeun and Youn Yuh-Jung for “Minari”.

I am puzzled at the nomination for Daveed Diggs for “Hamilton” (and Lin-Manuel’s Globes nomination too).   It was literally just video of the stage performance shot some years ago that was later then decided to be put on Disney Plus.  The appropriate place for them to award this performance was the Tonys.  I like the two performances but I really hope they don’t win.   I feel like it is a waste of a slot and took away from others who actually had a new acting performance during the year.

• Love 1
On 2/4/2021 at 9:03 AM, blackwing said:

Here are the nominations:  https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/04/entertainment/sag-award-nominations-2021/index.html

Happy to see that unlike the Globes, the SAGs got it right and nominated both Steven Yeun and Youn Yuh-Jung for “Minari”.

I am puzzled at the nomination for Daveed Diggs for “Hamilton” (and Lin-Manuel’s Globes nomination too).   It was literally just video of the stage performance shot some years ago that was later then decided to be put on Disney Plus.  The appropriate place for them to award this performance was the Tonys.  I like the two performances but I really hope they don’t win.   I feel like it is a waste of a slot and took away from others who actually had a new acting performance during the year.

I mean, I agree with you in theory and principle, but they could put out a "movie" of every time Daveed Diggs descends the staircase as Thomas Jefferson, and have it only be that, and I'd watch it just as many times as I've watched Hamilton. That man has charisma.

I am soooooo disappointed Rhea Seehorn didn't get a nomination. She killed it this year. BCS just doesn't get the nominations and hardware that that show deserves (at least in my head).

• Love 1
On 2/4/2021 at 9:03 AM, blackwing said:

I am puzzled at the nomination for Daveed Diggs for “Hamilton” (and Lin-Manuel’s Globes nomination too).   It was literally just video of the stage performance shot some years ago that was later then decided to be put on Disney Plus.

Hell, I think it's dumb the Disney+ airing got a thread in Movies here, since it's not a film, it's a recording of a stage performance.  So, yeah, I am with you on the nominations - no matter how much I love the performances.

Is anyone watching tonight?  I know I'll be flipping thru this and a couple of other shows.  I'm not so invested in the SAG awards like I am the Oscars, but it's still fun.  Or as much fun as you can have during a pandemic.