Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual SAG Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

11 minutes ago, slowpoked said:

That may be the case. But I'm still having a hard time believing Regina King will suddenly, out of nowhere, pull off the win, when the biggest voting group for the Oscars didn't even nominate her to contend for the award at SAG.

It's not unprecedented. I believe, not quite sure, Marcus Gay Harden wasn't nominated the year she won the supporting actress Oscar. And Christop Walz wasn't nominated when he won for Django Unchained.

6 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Well, well. Looks like Mr. Rami Malek is heading for that Oscar win. I really didn't know which way this one would go but I knew it would likely come down to him or Christian Bale.

I think it's still a race between him and Christian Bale. Denzel Washington won the SAG for Fences but Casey Affleck won the Oscar. I think there have been other splits like that. I think Viola Davis won the SAG but Meryl Streep won the Oscar. The BAFTAs might make things clearer or not. Bale won the Globe and Critics' Choice. And Tami has won the Globe and SAG.

• Love 1

I think it's going to come down to voters can find a shred of humanity within Bale's portrayal of Cheney.  Co workers asked me what I thought about the movie.  I thought he was disturbing and terrifying in a very quiet way but you have to go in with the mindset that this a strange take on a satire and on a man most people barely know a thing about.  Bale thanking Satan during the Globes made a lot of sense to me.  

For Malek, he's playing a beloved figure whose time was cut short that older voters will remember, and younger voters may be more in tune with.  

This is one race I really can't call, but I'll be happy with either one winning.

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

I think it's still a race between him and Christian Bale. Denzel Washington won the SAG for Fences but Casey Affleck won the Oscar. I think there have been other splits like that. I think Viola Davis won the SAG but Meryl Streep won the Oscar. The BAFTAs might make things clearer or not. Bale won the Globe and Critics' Choice. And Tami has won the Globe and SAG.

Well of course,  I guess I should have made it clear that I don't think it's a done deal. But more so that I think it pushes him a bit more as the favorite, particularly because as others noted, SAG is the biggest voting body of all the Guilds for the Oscars.

And yes, Denzel won the SAG for Fences, which I suspect had to do with the fact that Denzel, amazingly before that, had never won a SAG Award. But Casey had pretty much dominated the Award season to that point, so the SAG Award was really the only thing he didn't win. He beat Denzel at the Globes because they were both in the Drama category. 

Without question, we've seen surprise wins on Oscar night. One of the most famous examples is of course Adrien Brody coming out of nowhere to win Best Actor after I think Jack Nicholson or Daniel Day Lewis had had been sweeping the season. But the consensus coming into tonight was that this was a dog fight between Rami and Christian and whoever won would be telling of which way the voters are leaning. Definitely makes things interesting and like I said, far more exciting than last year's award season which was sewn up by the Globes. 

• Love 3
56 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Without question, we've seen surprise wins on Oscar night. One of the most famous examples is of course Adrien Brody coming out of nowhere to win Best Actor after I think Jack Nicholson or Daniel Day Lewis had had been sweeping the season. 

I remember that. It was a thrilling moment, but as I recall, not quite the shocker it has been made to seem in retrospect. The Pianist had some late momentum; more people were taking a look at it. And it was a strong Best Actor field across the board, in which anyone would have been deserving, so people started saying, "Hmm. Cage, Caine, Day-Lewis, and Nicholson all have at least one Oscar already. So why not the kid, who really has to carry his picture and doesn't even have another actor to work with for so much of it?"  

This is one thing I miss a little about the days when the ceremony was in late March or early April: "late momentum" doesn't mean what it used to. That was, in fact, the last ceremony before they went to the abbreviated Oscar season, with the ceremony held in late February or early March. Brody might not have been able to do that on the present schedule.

Edited by Simon Boccanegra
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, mtlchick said:

This is one race I really can't call, but I'll be happy with either one winning.

I wouldn't mind if they split the votes, and Bradley Cooper managed to come through and actually win. ASIB was such a fantastic achievement and way too good for him to get nothing IMO.

Absolutely thrilled for Black Panther and all the folks at Marvel. I wish Stan Lee had lived to see it.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 5

Most happy for Black Panther, Glenn Close and Emily Blunt.  You can tell that John Krasinski and Emily Blunt are very loved by their peers.  I loved how shocked, thrilled and excited he was for her when she won.

16 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

Yeah, I'm watching the Red Carpet interviews via that live stream, and so far I haven't seen anything that either grabs me or makes me think "What the HELL was she thinking?"

In looking at the pictures, there's a few "what were they thinkings" to me, but no one ridiculously awful.  I don't know what to make of Alison Brie's black angel wings.  Whoever dresses Elisabeth Moss should be fired... the woman consistently looks awful at every single awards show.  She always looks inappropriate (short dress to the Globes) or dowdy.  She put on a perfectly normal white dress at SAGs and managed to look terrible.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Neurochick said:

I don't get the love for A Star is Born.  I saw it and though I loved the music, I HATE the story, because to me it's the glorification of a dysfunctional relationship.

Oh, my true love...YUK.

I finally made it through the Garland/Mason version this past weekend and have to agree.  Also, I Ffd'd through some of Garland's songs because histrionics much?  No interest in seeing the latest version.

And I'll reiterate my complaint that SAG members need to watch more TV.  It's criminal that neither Matthew Rhys (The Americans) nor Andre Braugher (Brooklyn Nine-Nine) was nominated.  Nice to see Alan Alda's body  of work recognized, though, and his speech was just was I expected:  short, humble, and heartfelt.  I can even forget that he pretty much ruined the last few seasons of M*A*S*H. (Also nice that the montage of his career included a brief clip of the M*A*S*H episode in which his father, Robert Alda, co-starred.)

4 hours ago, slowpoked said:

Did I hear it right that this was just Glenn Close's second SAG? And the first one was for an old movie? 

The woman never won for Damages??? What's wrong with people?!

Close was nominated four times for Damages and lost to Edie Falco, Julianna Margulies (twice), and Jessica Lange, in that order. 

Just looked at some of the red carpet photos.  What an explosion of ugliness.  Amy Adams looks like a Pez dispenser.  (Slide 63 if the link doesn't go right to her.)

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Inquisitionist said:

And I'll reiterate my complaint that SAG members need to watch more TV.  It's criminal that neither Matthew Rhys (The Americans) nor Andre Braugher (Brooklyn Nine-Nine) was nominated.  Nice to see Alan Alda's body  of work recognized, though, and his speech was just was I expected:  short, humble, and heartfelt.  I can even forget that he pretty much ruined the last few seasons of M*A*S*H. (Also nice that the montage of his career included a brief clip of the M*A*S*H episode in which his father, Robert Alda, co-starred.)

This. I'm still bummed The Good Place wasn't nominated for anything. That was one of the better ensemble cast that I've seen in recent years.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, slowpoked said:

Did I hear it right that this was just Glenn Close's second SAG? And the first one was for an old movie? 

Until Denzel Washington won for Fences two years ago, he'd never won one either. And look how celebrated Elisabeth Moss has been for her performance in The Handmaid's Tale and nothing. She lost last year to Claire Foy and lost last night to Sandra Oh.

1 hour ago, Inquisitionist said:

And I'll reiterate my complaint that SAG members need to watch more TV.  It's criminal that neither Matthew Rhys (The Americans) nor Andre Braugher (Brooklyn Nine-Nine) was nominated.

Yup and they're even more repetitive than the Emmys with some of the winners. I don't care how amazing Alec Baldwin or Julia Louis Dreyfuss are, there is simply no reason that they won that Lead Actor and Lead Actress in a Comedy that many years in a row. It got to be so much that even Alec looked bored after a while. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Inquisitionist said:

Just looked at some of the red carpet photos.  What an explosion of ugliness.

What is with the men wearing what looks like bedroom slippers??  Looking at Chris Pine with a nice white tux and black bedroom slippers...

• Love 2
3 hours ago, slowpoked said:

This. I'm still bummed The Good Place wasn't nominated for anything. That was one of the better ensemble cast that I've seen in recent years.

This was indeed confusing. They don't have a good enough ensemble cast?

I wish we could do away with the SAG awards. So many repeats, by the time we get to the Oscars there are virtually no surprises. Boring.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, slowpoked said:

5 hours ago, Inquisitionist said:

Close was nominated four times for Damages and lost to Edie Falco, Julianna Margulies (twice), and Jessica Lange, in that order.

I think that's why I find the outrage Gaga's fans are displaying so obnoxious.  Actresses who have been working for years and who are consistently brilliant don't always win and Gaga's nominated once and for a pretty mediocre performance and her fans think she's a lock to win Best Actress?  I know it must be hard for her fans to watch her keep losing awards but do they really think she deserve it for one role?

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, kitmerlot1213 said:

I think that's why I find the outrage Gaga's fans are displaying so obnoxious.  Actresses who have been working for years and who are consistently brilliant don't always win and Gaga's nominated once and for a pretty mediocre performance and her fans think she's a lock to win Best Actress?  I know it must be hard for her fans to watch her keep losing awards but do they really think she deserve it for one role?

I don't mind Gaga winning if she really did pull off the best performance during the year. Sometimes, an actor just catches lightning in a bottle and everything aligns perfectly for them, like Brie Larson, just recently. I mean, I'm not going to blame Brie Larson for Amy Adams still being empty-handed after several years of outstanding performances.

But like you said, it was a mediocre performance (IMO, I thought it was an ok performance, but waaaayyyyyy  hyped up too much). I can argue that the movie hype "locked" up her spot in the five slots before people were really able to peruse all other performances (Nicole Kidman, Julia Roberts, etc.) that came later that can also argue are worthy of the nomination. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Neurochick said:

I don't get the love for A Star is Born.  I saw it and though I loved the music, I HATE the story, because to me it's the glorification of a dysfunctional relationship.

Oh, my true love...YUK.

Good point!  Kris Kristofferson and Bradley Cooper sure are easy on the eyes, though. <shallow, shallow me>.    lol   Was never wild about Babs (she always does this weird thing wiggling her mouth.).  I was more impressed /surprised by Bradley's singing than Gaga's acting, but both did well.

Just saw "The Wife" and totally understand the awards for Glenn Close.  Very good movie and loved her performance.

Edited by Thumper
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, blackwing said:

In looking at the pictures, there's a few "what were they thinkings" to me, but no one ridiculously awful.  I don't know what to make of Alison Brie's black angel wings.  Whoever dresses Elisabeth Moss should be fired... the woman consistently looks awful at every single awards show.  She always looks inappropriate (short dress to the Globes) or dowdy.  She put on a perfectly normal white dress at SAGs and managed to look terrible.

9 hours ago, Inquisitionist said:

Just looked at some of the red carpet photos.  What an explosion of ugliness.  Amy Adams looks like a Pez dispenser.  (Slide 63 if the link doesn't go right to her.)

6 hours ago, roughing it said:

What is with the men wearing what looks like bedroom slippers??  Looking at Chris Pine with a nice white tux and black bedroom slippers...

I'm quoting a few people who commented on SAG fashion from last night.  (I miss the old Fashion Police thread.  The show not so much.  It was just fun to have a place to dish on the fashion.)  So, in no particular order, here are a few of my personal likes and dislikes.  For reference, here's a link to IMDb's Red Carpet gallery from last night's awards.
2019 Screen Actors Guild Awards Red Carpet
HITS:  
Michelle Yeoh
Constance Wu
Danai Gurira
Sandra Oh
Darren Criss
Chadwick Boseman

MISSES:
Rachel Brosnahan
Yara Shahidi (I'd call this more of a disappointment than a full-on miss.  It's just that I normally love her style and last night's didn't do it for me at all.)
Gemma Chan  (I really thought we were done with mullet gowns. Ugh.)
Michael B. Jordan (What was that thing he was wearing over his jacket?  Timothee Chalamet wore something similar at the Globes.  Weird accessory, IMO.)
And, I cannot believe that I'm actually saying this because this woman NEVER misses, but my worst dressed of the night is
Lupita Nyong'o. :-0  What was that?!?!
MV5BMTg3NTYxNjk3OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODkz

• Love 1
16 hours ago, ProudMary said:

Lupita Nyong'o. :-0  What was that?!?!

I agree...wth?  I liked her better when she was new and naïve.  Something about her now...can't put my finger on it.  Same thing happened with Jennifer Lawrence. 

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, roughing it said:

I agree...wth?  I liked her better when she was new and naïve.  Something about her now...can't put my finger on it.  Same thing happened with Jennifer Lawrence. 

She's had a number of misses right after her Oscar season, which made me wonder if she switched stylists. I know especially when a star is new, the studio as part of their whole Award season campaign, will even hook them up with and pay for certain sytlists. So I always wondered if once the season was over she got a less expensive stylist because the shift was insane. She went from not a foot wrong with everything she wore to all the Award shows/industry events to some truly WTAF is she wearing. It was like zero to sixty in a flash. 

1 minute ago, truthaboutluv said:

She's had a number of misses right after her Oscar season, which made me wonder if she switched stylists. I know especially when a star is new, the studio as part of their whole Award season campaign, will even hook them up with and pay for certain sytlists. So I always wondered if once the season was over she got a less expensive stylist because the shift was insane. She went from not a foot wrong with everything she wore to all the Award shows/industry events to some truly WTAF is she wearing. It was like zero to sixty in a flash.

But it's more than that, it's the attitude I'm thinking of.  Like the "little darling" thing has gone to her head.

19 minutes ago, roughing it said:

But it's more than that, it's the attitude I'm thinking of.  Like the "little darling" thing has gone to her head.

I guess. To be honest, unpopular opinion but I was never into Lupita. I'll be honest, I was wary of her winning that Oscar because it felt very much like perfect role at the right time. Like the type of performance she probably trained for at Drama school. But I wasn't convinced that she could really do more. If that makes sense.

Basically I wasn't convinced of her range and that she truly had nuance as an actress. And honestly, so far, I haven't been convinced I was wrong. I found her fairly forgettable in Black Panther. Though to be fair, I found Chadwick Boseman as well and thought Michael B. Jordan completely outshone him in the film. I am interested to see her performance in Us, Jordan Peele's new movie. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

I was also wondering what Michael B. Jordan was wearing over his jacket. The flower pattern didn’t work for me.

Did anybody else notice 1 of Alan Alda’s hands (I think screen left) was shaking as he spoke? I wondered if maybe it was related to his Parkinson’s. I also thought it was nice Tom Hanks perhaps seemed to see it too (in my opinion) & he offered to help Alan carry the award offstage. They each seemed to be holding half of it, the last I saw. It does look like it’s kinda heavy.

I don't know about the hand shaking but Alan and Tom were being silly.  The Lifetime Achievement recipients often remark on how heavy that particular award is and they were pretending it required both of them.  Once they were backstage Tom let it go. 

7 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

I know especially when a star is new, the studio as part of their whole Award season campaign, will even hook them up with and pay for certain sytlists. So I always wondered if once the season was over she got a less expensive stylist because the shift was insane. She went from not a foot wrong with everything she wore to all the Award shows/industry events to some truly WTAF is she wearing. It was like zero to sixty in a flash. 

Fun facts from Anna Kendrick's book: When she was the new girl on the block for Up In The Air, she was assigned a stylist, whose fee was way more than what she was paid for the film. Because she was a relative unknown, it wasn't like famous designers were lining up to dress her, even though she was an up-and-comer. So her stylist had her pick from a clothing rack of dresses. The stylist also made her pay $1,000 for a pair of Louboutins that she was sure she was never going to use again, to pair the pink dress she chose from the rack. She wrote that the 1K could have gone to her rent (she wrote in the book that she was still dirt poor even though it looked like she was having the "time of her life" during the Up In The Air Oscar press), but at that time the sytlist made her feel like she had no other choice but to buy the shoes.

Nominations for the 2020 Ceremony. 

Film

Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture

Bombshell
The Irishman
Jojo Rabbit
Once Upon a Time . . . In Hollywood
Parasite

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role

Christian Bale, Ford v Ferrari
Leonarod DiCaprio, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
Adam Driver, Marriage Story
Taron Egerton, Rocketman
Joaquin Phoenix, Joker

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role

Cynthia Erivo, Harriet
Scarlett Johansson, Marriage Story
Lupita Nyong’o, Us

Charlize Theron, Bombshell

Renee Zellweger, Judy

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role

Jamie Foxx, Just Mercy
Tom hanks, A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood
Al Pacino, The Irishman

Joe Pesci, The Irishman

Brad Pitt, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role

Laura Dern, Marriage Story
Scarlett Johansson, Jojo Rabbit
Nicole Kidman, Bombshell
Jennifer Lopez, Hustlers
Margot Robbie, Bombshell

TELEVISION

Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series

Big Little Lies
The Crown
Game of Thrones
The Handmaid’s Tale
Stranger Things

Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series

Barry
Fleabag
The Kominsky Method
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
Schitt’s Creek

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Drama Series

Sterling K. Brown, This Is Us
Steve Carell, The Morning Show
Billy Crudup, The Morning Show
Peter Dinklage, Game of Thrones
David Harbour, Stranger Things

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Drama Series

Jennifer Aniston, The Morning Show
Helena Bonham Carter, The Crown
Olivia Colman, The Crown
Jodie Comer, Killing Eve
Elisabeth Moss, The Handmaid’s Tale

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Comedy Series

Christina Applegate, Dead to Me

Alex Borstein, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

Rachel Brosnahan, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
Catherine O’Hara, Schitt’s Creek
Phoebe Waller-Bridge, Fleabag

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Comedy Series

Alan Arkin, The Kominsky Method
Michael Douglas, The Kominsky Method
Bill Hader, Barry
Andrew Scott, Fleabag
Tony Shalhoub, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Television Movie or Miniseries

Patricia Arquette, The Act
Toni Collette, Unbelievable
Joey King, The Act
Emily Watson, Chernobyl
Michelle Williams, Fosse/Verdon

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Television Movie or Miniseries

Mahershala Ali, True Detective
Russell Crowe, The Loudest Voice
Jared Harris, Chernobyl
Jharrel Jerome, When They See Us
Sam Rockwell, Fosse/Verdon

Early observations; the television categories are shit as usual. Nice to see Jharrel Jerome get a nod after When They See Us was completely shut out for the Globes. And SAG really needs to get it together and do Ensemble for Limited Series/Television Movie. 

The actor in a Drama series category is laughable. This is one of the things I've hated about SAG over the years. They sometimes latch onto a show and refuse to let it fucking go, even when others have.

I'm sorry but those Stranger Things noms are a joke and I liked the third season of the show.  But come on. This is as bad as when they kept nominating Downton Abbey over and over and giving it wins. 

And the Morning Show love fest is just beyond baffling, considering again how poor to mediocre the reviews for this show has been. Well at least they didn't nominate Kit Harrington. So there's that. 

The movie categories are very interesting. As usual, SAG Ensemble noms are weird as shit. No Marriage Story, even though a number of people in the cast got individual nominations. SAG voters are also clearly in love with Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. 

The individual acting categories are also more of a mess than last year where even though you may not have known who exactly would win at this time, the noms at least were fairly sewn up. This year is a bit more confusing.

Shocked, though pleasantly so, to see Taron Edgerton get in there for Lead Actor. And this is now the second Lead Actor category De Niro has missed. Antonio Banderas not getting in is also a huge snub, as he's been cleaning up with a number of precursor awards. Right now the only locks for that category seems to be Joaquin, Driver and maybe Leo. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

The nominations on the television side are a joke. Not one nomination for Succession? I'm positively astonished that Jeremy Strong wasn't nominated. Also in that Best Actor-Drama category, I can't fathom how Tobias Menzies' name isn't there, but they managed to squeeze in BOTH Olivia Colman and HBC on the female side. 🙄 Surely ONE of those nominations should belong to Regina King for Watchmen, which also received ZERO nominations. How is that possible? But Big Little Lies managed to snag a couple. S2 of BLL was not good. SMH.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, truthaboutluv said:

the television categories are shit as usual.

Honestly! So many nominations for folks I thought turned in cheesy, OTT performances.  Streep, Anniston, HBC, and Douglas in particular.

Many of the nods seem to be based primarily on star power and name recognition. I expect that from the Hollywood Foreign Press but would like to think other actors are more discerning. 

Once of the most glaring to me is Toni Collette over Merritt Wever in Unbelievable. Toni was great but her character just didn't have as much nuance or range, IMO.

Maybe I'm just drawn to more understated performances in general. I really need to stop paying attention because awards and top 10 lists are getting sillier as the content avalanche increases. Even critics who watch TV for a living only manage to see maybe 25% of what's out there, and it's likely some (many?) voters don't have time or plain don't bother to watch the screeners.

Edited by 2727

I gave up on awards shows when they became the Game Of Thrones awards show.  I mean yeah it’s a great show but double and triple dipping it in every category is kinda cheating.      

And yeah there have always been awesome shows that get maybe one Pity nomination a year even though they far surpass the award show favorites.    

I loved big little lies season 2.  It was awesome and I will fight you on that but Meryl Streep is not the person I would nominate.   Kidman and Dern put in great performances though.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 1

Fun fact: I was on the film nominating committee this year, and I did submit my nominations.  The number of my twenty-five (or thirty if you include the stunt ensemble category) nominees who were actually nominated?  Five (seven if you include stunt).  I'm disappointed but not surprised.

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, NUguy514 said:

The number of my twenty-five (or thirty if you include the stunt ensemble category) nominees who were actually nominated?  Five (seven if you include stunt).

What were the general differences, if you don't mind me asking? Did you prefer performances in less well known roles or shows?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, palmaire said:

What were the general differences, if you don't mind me asking? Did you prefer performances in less well known roles or shows?

I'm happy to post my choices.  I thought The Irishman (although I did love Pesci) and Once upon a Time in...Hollywood were bloated, self-indulgent bores and hated Marriage Story (even if I liked much of the acting), so those are probably the biggest differences.  I knew that would be the case, though; I had just hoped it wouldn't come at the expense of Little WomenDolemite Is My Name, and The Farewell.

Ensemble

Bombshell
Dolemite Is My Name
The Farewell
Little Women
Parasite

Lead Actor

Antonio Banderas
Michael B. Jordan
George MacKay
Eddie Murphy
Jonathan Pryce

Lead Actress

Awkwafina
Beanie Feldstein
Lupita Nyong'o
Saoirse Ronan
Charlize Theron

Supporting Actor

Choi Woo-sik
Rob Morgan
Wesley Snipes
Song Kang-ho
Taika Waititi

Supporting Actress

Thomasin McKenzie
Park So-dam
Florence Pugh
Margot Robbie (for Bombshell, so at least her much better performance was nominated)
Zhao Shuzhen

Stunt Ensemble (these were admittedly very uninformed)

Avengers: Endgame
Captain Marvel
Dolemite Is My Name
Ford v Ferrari
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

As far as individual nominees go, I'm most bummed about Antonio Banderas who gave my favorite lead-actor performance this year.  I don't really want to vote for any of the actual nominees in that category.

• Love 5
On 12/11/2019 at 11:09 AM, ProudMary said:

The nominations on the television side are a joke. 

I think there is just too much material available on TV/streaming for SAG voters to keep up with, so they gravitate to the known or what's hyped.  Seriously, Andre Braugher and Melissa Fumero in Brooklyn 99 should ALWAYS be nominated in the comedy category, but SAG voters probably aren't watching.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Inquisitionist said:

I think there is just too much material available on TV/streaming for SAG voters to keep up with, so they gravitate to the known or what's hyped.  Seriously, Andre Braugher and Melissa Fumero in Brooklyn 99 should ALWAYS be nominated in the comedy category, but SAG voters probably aren't watching.

My comments were about Succession and Watchmen. As HBO properties that occupy the prime Sunday @ 9 p.m. slot (the same as GOT and BLL), I'd think each of those is both known and hyped.

Edited by ProudMary
On 12/13/2019 at 12:02 PM, ProudMary said:

My comments were about Succession and Watchmen. As HBO properties that occupy the prime Sunday @ 9 p.m. slot (the same as GOT and BLL), I'd think each of those is both known and hyped.

FWIW, I watch quite a bit of TV, but haven't seen either of those series yet.

SAG-AFTRA Headquarters Evacuated Again After New Threat

From the article: "The SAG-AFTRA offices in Los Angeles and New York have received an all-clear after a bomb threat was called in for the second time in three days.

The headquarters in both Los Angeles and New York were also evacuated on Tuesday due to a seemingly similar phone threat.

The threats come 10 days before the annual SAG Awards ceremony, set for Jan. 19 at the Shrine Auditorium in downtown Los Angeles."

On 12/11/2019 at 12:44 PM, Camille said:

While I'm once again glad for Cynthia Erivio's nomination, I'm also again displeased at how "Harriet" has been shut out of everything else.

I know only 3 people who saw the movie and they all said the same thing she was great the movie was not as great. I see people posting that online as well she was great but they movie was just okay. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 1/17/2020 at 7:28 PM, ShadowHunter said:

I know only 3 people who saw the movie and they all said the same thing she was great the movie was not as great. I see people posting that online as well she was great but they movie was just okay. 

I saw the movie and felt the same way. I wish it was a better made movie, unfortunately, it wasn't. Same with Judy. I had high hopes for both (I'm partial to real people movies) but really, the movies were lucky it was able to get sterling performances from its leads. 

The red carpet info is in this article too -

Don’t Miss The SAG Awards! Here’s How To Watch

Where can you livestream the SAG Awards?

To stream the SAG Awards live, TNT and TBS subscribers can watch using the networks' websites. You'll also be able to stream the show with a variety of live TV app add-ons, such as Hulu with Live TV, YouTube TV, Apple TV, and Amazon Fire.

What time does the SAG Awards red carpet begin and how can you stream it?

If you want to catch every moment of the SAG Awards from the red carpet to the end of the ceremony, you can watch red carpet coverage starting at 5:30 p.m. ET, according to the SAG Awards website. You can also stream it live on TNT or TBS on Hulu with Live TV and YouTube TV. The live pre-show, People, Entertainment Weekly, and TNT Red Carpet Live: 26th Screen Actors Guild Awards will also be available to stream directly from the SAG Awards' website in addition to People, EW, and TNT's websites, as well as their Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube pages.

• Love 1

I literally just read an article today saying people were fed up with needing 83 different streaming services to see the things they are hearing about. I'm one of them. It's getting ridiculous that you need to have all these services to watch pretty much anything these days. I'm not signing up for more crap just to watch a red carpet. 

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Fostersmom said:

I literally just read an article today saying people were fed up with needing 83 different streaming services to see the things they are hearing about. I'm one of them. It's getting ridiculous that you need to have all these services to watch pretty much anything these days. I'm not signing up for more crap just to watch a red carpet. 

I agree but the Red Carpet is free. I'm watching it now on TNT YouTube channel that is free.