Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual SAG Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Hidden Figures suddenly jumped back into the game (even though LA La Land won the PGA yesterday.) 

I am loving that the Oscars has become a bit more unpredictable where the last 3 it was pretty clear cut who was going to win.  

Side note: Taraji's dress is STUNNING. 

• Love 13

I'm so glad that Casey Affleck didn't win - I've never, ever liked him. Ever. And the sexual harassment stuff is so odious. This does increase Denzel's odds for the Oscar and given Ryan Gosling's popularity and accolades for this role, I'm hoping that maybe they're the top two contenders now. 

• Love 12

Honestly in my opinion the SAG ensemble doesn't mean that much in the grand scheme of the best picture category. Now the Producers Guild, that's a good one for that. I remember when The Full Monty won the SAG ensemble award over Titanic(I hate Titanic and will be forever bitter about it's 11 Oscar wins). That said Hidden Figures looks like a great film and the kind of movie that can definitely win Best Picture.

Taraji's speech was wonderful.

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, ShadowHunter said:

I loved seeing Octavia Spencer be thrilled they won best movie. I think she screamed lol.

I haven't seen all of the nominees but I saw Hidden Figures and loved it. Liked it better than Fences. I do think La La Land has a better chance at the Oscar though. I liked that one too, but hard (at least in my mind) to compare it to the others that were more serious.

Edited by Eureka

Taraji's dress was beautiful except for the out of place bow.  I loved her speech and enthusiasm.

I'm not on the Emma Stone train.  I don't know what it is, I feel the same way about her that I did about Jennifer Lawrence after a while.  Also I really hated her in "The Help."

• Love 1

I think these SAG winners made the Oscars a toss up. 

I'm not sure the Oscar crowd loves Emma Stone like they do Jennifer Lawrence. If she was in La La Land, then the Oscar would be hers but I don't know about Emma. Especially with her competition.

I still think Casey Affleck has the Oscar, but was really surprised Denzel won this. Even Denzel himself didn't think he'd win.

Also surprised none of the males for OJ won, Bryan Cranston out of nowhere. 

Best Drama is a toss up too with now Hidden Fences winning,

• Love 1

The SAG award winners have made the Oscars a bit more interesting. Viola and Mahershala are locks. Best Actress, IMO, is between Isabelle, Meryl and Emma. I never count out Meryl at the Oscars. I think Ryan is out of the Best Actor category. Denzel and Casey will vie for the award. I am not a Denzel fan so I would prefer him not to win. He has two Oscars already so I would toss the award to Casey. Just my opinion. I think La La Land will win best picture because Hollywood likes to celebrate itself. I would not be surprised, though,if Hidden Figures wins.

31 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

Honestly in my opinion the SAG ensemble doesn't mean that much in the grand scheme of the best picture category. Now the Producers Guild, that's a good one for that. I remember when The Full Monty won the SAG ensemble award over Titanic(I hate Titanic and will be forever bitter about it's 11 Oscar wins). That said Hidden Figures looks like a great film and the kind of movie that can definitely win Best Picture.

Yes and American Hustle won Best Ensemble over 12 Years A Slave and Gravity and yet it was pretty much accepted, going into Oscar night that the Best Picture win was between 12 Years or Gravity with the former winning. This year's Oscars definitely don't seem as set in stone as last year's. 

The two categories that seem most like locks are the Supporting for Viola and Mahershala but the Supporting categories are also where Oscars have had some of its biggest upsets/surprises on Oscar night, so who knows. I can actually see the increasing backlash against Casey costing him the Oscar by award night. It happened to Russell Crowe and his backlash was just about him being an angry asshole. Russell won pretty much every major lead up award that year for A Beautiful Mind, including the  SAG and he lost the Oscar to Denzel because people really didn't like him. 

I also still think the Best Picture category will come down to La La Land and Moonlight. The PGA win for La La Land definitely makes it seem like it's pushing ahead slightly so we'll see. And the Best Actress race feels like a toss up right now. Hell I still think Isabelle Huppert will pull a Marion Cotillard from some years ago and take home the win after it seemed like she'd lost momentum. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1
42 minutes ago, Arynm said:

Winona Ryder's face was worth watching this entire show! Her facial expressions were hysterical

It's really nice to see a woman over the age of 40 that can move her face and still looks like herself. Of course, Winona very, very wisely avoided the sun when she was younger. David Harbour's speech was insane. Winona's shock and "power to the people" first just complimented it. Once a hippie child, always a hippie child.

I can't really get with Emma Stone winning for La La Land, but it looks like a foregone conclusion. Something felt so fake about the breathless "wrap it up" stuff, and I'm saying this as someone who's been a fan of hers for a long time.

It's cool to see genuine upsets.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Arynm said:

Winona Ryder's face was worth watching this entire show! Her facial expressions were hysterical

I was sad GOT hadn't won (don't have Netflix)- but Winona expressed all emotions - so I was entertained.  She seemed to be questioning the speech until the phrases "...and we will hunt monsters...we will punch some people in the face..."  then girlfriend was cheering.

Who did the speech?  I loved the shot of Courtney Vance standing up with a WTF look on his face.

Also thrilled to see Matthew Modine again.  Been a long time since I have seen him.

Edited by Macbeth
  • Love 1
22 minutes ago, Artsda said:

Hope you didn't make fun of Jenna Bush a couple of weeks ago!:)

I'd love to see a Hidden Figures win for Best Picture.

• Love 5
24 minutes ago, cincivic said:

The SAG award winners have made the Oscars a bit more interesting. Viola and Mahershala are locks. Best Actress, IMO, is between Isabelle, Meryl and Emma. I never count out Meryl at the Oscars. I think Ryan is out of the Best Actor category. Denzel and Casey will vie for the award. I am not a Denzel fan so I would prefer him not to win. He has two Oscars already so I would toss the award to Casey. Just my opinion. I think La La Land will win best picture because Hollywood likes to celebrate itself. I would not be surprised, though,if Hidden Figures wins.

Yes, now my Oscar picks will need some rethinking because I thought Casey had it wrapped up, but now I will have to decide who to pick since Denzel won tonight. I was quite surprised but looking at the clips of him tonight, it was a very strong showy-er performance. I will be checking out Fences soon so I guess I'll get a better idea. Same with Emma and Natalie.  I had originally picked Emma just because of the roll La La Land is on but after I saw Jackie recently, I switched my pick to Portman.  Now I don't know who the hell to pick come Feb 24!   But yeah, it will make it a little more interesting.

One thing is a sure thing. Like Denzel said. Viola. Davis.

Does anyone who film won Action performance by a stunt ensemble?  It wasn't on the show but I can't find it online anywhere yet.

Edited by Valny
  • Love 1

I'm glad they were able to include MTM in the montage. That was a nice surprise, but even though you know it's coming, that In Memoriam segment was still a sucker punch to the heart.

Winona Ryder has been my girl crush during my teenage years, and so it's nice to see her have some sort of career revival and still look as cute as she did back in the 90s.

• Love 3

I saw Fences yesterday.  It's very much an actors' showcase and both Viola and Denzel nailed their roles, as did Mykelti Williamson as (in my opinion) the most sympathetic character in the movie.  By coincidence, Bill Nunn (who was remembered in the In Memoriam segment) played Gabriel in the stage production I saw about 9 years ago.  He was terrific, too.

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, maraleia said:

The Stranger Things actor who gave the speech was David Harbour who plays the sheriff on the show.

I was cracking up watching Winona Ryder making faces reacting to his speech.

Does anyone who film won Action performance by a stunt ensemble?  It wasn't on the show but I can't find it online anywhere yet.

going to answer my own question.  It was Hacksaw Ridge...which I picked, so woo hoo!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Artsda said:

I think these SAG winners made the Oscars a toss up. 

I'm not sure the Oscar crowd loves Emma Stone like they do Jennifer Lawrence. If she was in La La Land, then the Oscar would be hers but I don't know about Emma. Especially with her competition.

I still think Casey Affleck has the Oscar, but was really surprised Denzel won this. Even Denzel himself didn't think he'd win.

Also surprised none of the males for OJ won, Bryan Cranston out of nowhere. 

When they were listing the nominees, I was thinking that Brown and Vance facing off against each other for People vs. OJ, and Ahmed and Turturro facing off against each other for The Night Of might just cancel each other out allowing Cranston to win.  While we'll never know for sure, not seeing the vote tallies, it looks as if that's what happened.  Cranston did give a great performance in All the Way.

2 hours ago, Valny said:

http://sagawards.org/awards/nominees-and-recipients/23rd-annual-screen-actors-guild-awards
Stunt Ensemble in a Comedy or Drama Series:  Game of Thrones

Stunt Ensemble in a Motion Picture:  Hacksaw Ridge

Doug Davidson from "The Young and the Restless" is very upset and has been posting pictures of departed soap stars on his Twitter timeline.  He said they pay the same SAG/AFTRA dues as everyone else and should have been in the In Memoriam segment.

I can see that, but I can also see that since soaps don't have a category at these particular awards, would they be included?

• Love 7

I'm an awards show junkie and I missed this one.  Anybody know where it might show up again?  I checked TBS/TNT for replays, and youtube, but no dice.

Meanwhile, I may just have to make do with Fashion Police.

My bad!  Found a bunch on youtube to go through.

Edited by spiderpig

Was Miguel Ferrer included in the in memorium? I thought there was a section, during the Daytime Emmys, for those in the daytime world who had passed away. I can see Doug Davidson's point but these awards were about movies and nighttime television.

• Love 1

The other thing is that prior to the merger of SAG and AFTRA, soap actors were AFTRA members because soaps are/were filmed on videotape instead of film.  The SAG awards predate the merger by a number of years, so it may just be force of habit.

8 hours ago, ProudMary said:

When they were listing the nominees, I was thinking that Brown and Vance facing off against each other for People vs. OJand Ahmed and Turturro facing off against each other for The Night Of might just cancel each other out allowing Cranston to win.  While we'll never know for sure, not seeing the vote tallies, it looks as if that's what happened.  Cranston did give a great performance in All the Way.

My thoughts exactly.  If you are nominated for best actor/actress, best not to have a great costar also nominated.  On the other hand, Cranston's role was really a showcase for him alone, whereas the other 4 actors did share a lot of screentime with their costars.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, Quickbeam said:

Loved Michelle Dockery's dress.

My favorite.  Taraji's was beautiful but way too revealing for my taste.  And if an actress has to pull up her dress repeatedly before accepting her award, it's not the right dress for an award show (Viola, I think?).

• Love 2

I was glad Stranger Things beat out GoT just to see the kids reaction to the win.  They acted like kids who just won an award on a suger rush.  I would have loved to hear them speak.  Then again maybe it's better we didn't.  Still good for them.  

• Love 3
13 hours ago, galaxygirl76 said:

I straight up got chills when she said "These women are hidden figures no longer!".  And then I burst into tears; that was a really wonderful speech, and I'm glad the film got some (very well deserved) recognition.

• Love 9

And if an actress has to pull up her dress repeatedly before accepting her award, it's not the right dress for an award show (Viola, I think?).

Viola looked amazing except for the titscrepancy. I couldn't get over how bad that bust fit was. ETA: I forgot to mention Brie Larson's titscrepancy. HERS WAS WORSE. OMG, that offset neckline and sideboob was horrible. I kept looking at it thinking, how did someone intend for this to happen?

I straight up got chills when she said "These women are hidden figures no longer!".  And then I burst into tears; that was a really wonderful speech, and I'm glad the film got some (very well deserved) recognition.

I read somewhere else today that it was a savvy move for her to shout out John Glenn, and that Hidden Figures seems to be peaking at exactly the right time. Taraji definitely did right by them last night with that speech - it was perfect.

Also perfect? Mahershala Ali. In every way. The speech, the tux, everything. 

Edited by hendersonrocks
  • Love 6

I love that Stranger Things won! I don't think the ST cast were necessarily the best in an acting master class sense, but they were terrifically entertaining and that's almost never acknowledged with awards.

Also very pleased to see Hidden Figures get some recognition because I was pissed about the Golden Globes snub.

My ex was a SAG member because he worked as an extra in local TV series a few times. I always filled out his ballot because he didn't care. Who knows what percentage of voters are regularly employed union members vs dabblers like my ex who merely kept his dues paid, but I certainly voted with my heart and/or grudges in mind!

Edited by Lord Donia
  • Love 4

My verdict: loved it! Mahershala Ali's speech was as beautiful as he is. As someone who saw/loved Hidden Figures, their Best Ensemble win was well-deserved.  The reaction of the Stranger Things cast in general and David K. Harbour in particular were outstanding. They looked so happy and the audience was happy for them.

Denzel Washington's win for Fences was a pleasant surprise, especially to Denzel, apparently. Oscar-wise, as of now I think it's a 2-man race between him and Ryan Gosling. 

Lily Tomlin & Dolly Parton were hilarious.

Viola Davis can do no wrong. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

I was glad Stranger Things beat out GoT just to see the kids reaction to the win.  They acted like kids who just won an award on a suger rush.  I would have loved to hear them speak.  Then again maybe it's better we didn't.  Still good for them.  

If there was ever a bubble to be in during this time, it is with these kids'. I love how two of the kids were just obliviously hugging and jumping for joy while David was making that fiery speech and Winona was making the GIFs of the year. Ah, to be young and innocent. I miss thee. 

ST win in the drama ensemble was a nice surprise. I was expecting The Crown. And the crowd going batshit crazy over David's speech was like the most entertaining part of the night. 

Edited by slowpoked
  • Love 5

It was really sweet when Matthew Modine put his hand on David Harbour's shoulder to support and steady him during David's speech. He clearly saw David's hand shaking as it held the paper.

I got nothing against Julia Louis-Dreyfus, but jeez already. She can act that role in her sleep by now.

• Love 2

The kids in Stranger Things were the best actors in it. They earned that win—and their exuberance!

On the flip side, I'm a grump re: Winona Ryder. It seemed like she was mocking David Harbour till near the end. I have never liked her, though, so I am biased. And I couldn't stand the Lydia Deetz character, or her portrayal. 

1 hour ago, lovinbob said:

On the flip side, I'm a grump re: Winona Ryder. It seemed like she was mocking David Harbour till near the end. I have never liked her, though, so I am biased.

Yeah, I got the same feeling, and I'm actually a Winona fan. I still don't know what the hell she was doing but as I watched it live, I thought she was either on something or was mocking her co-star's speech - which, not cool. Like you said, it wasn't until the end when the audience really got into it that she seemed to actually pay attention and toned it down just a little. When I saw twitter blow up with comments about how hilarious it was and how it was so gif-able, I thought I was the weirdo for not thinking it was funny.

• Love 3
40 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I really could not understand Winona's faces.  When David was saying something poignant or defiant her face looked like he was speaking in a language she had never heard before.  It was so odd.

37 minutes ago, bunnyblue said:

Yeah, I got the same feeling, and I'm actually a Winona fan. I still don't know what the hell she was doing but as I watched it live, I thought she was either on something or was mocking her co-star's speech - which, not cool. Like you said, it wasn't until the end when the audience really got into it that she seemed to actually pay attention and toned it down just a little. When I saw twitter blow up with comments about how hilarious it was and how it was so gif-able, I thought I was the weirdo for not thinking it was funny.

Not sure how very true, but one of the kids onstage with Winona said she probably couldn't hear what David was saying.

1 hour ago, slowpoked said:

Not sure how very true, but one of the kids onstage with Winona said she probably couldn't hear what David was saying.

I can believe it, because her expressions seemed like she didn't know what he was saying and was trying to mirror the audiences reaction. Once they really started cheering she kind of went with it.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

I can believe it, because her expressions seemed like she didn't know what he was saying and was trying to mirror the audiences reaction. Once they really started cheering she kind of went with it.

I guess her not hearing it is an explanation that also makes sense.  To me, it felt like she was distancing herself from him until she realized the audience liked what he was saying, at which time she started supporting him with her reactions.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, lovinbob said:

You would think that, if she couldn't hear what he was saying, she might have stood respectfully and not gone on a mugging binge. Strikes me as incredibly self-absorbed. 

I don't think it was self-absorbed but more so just a flurry of emotions that ran through her all at once at that moment. It was a huge, and - according to most, and from the cast themselves - a surprise victory for the show. I don't blame Winona, or anyone of them, if they don't have their shit together during such a joyous and glorious moment. 

But regardless of her own motives for the reaction, I think we can all agree that she just gave us The GIF of 2017. 

• Love 3
Just now, UniqBlue69 said:

Dang I can't believe Giuliana asked Alison Brie about the James Franco scandal. That was bold!

I was just coming on to post that. Wow.. I thought she even looked uncomfortable asking it. I'd say she her producer was screaming into her earpiece.