Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual SAG Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Giuliana was raving over Brie Larson's dress on the red carpet, but I'm not loving it. Have not seen the movie.

Did not love the dress. The movie was really good, however, and she deserves all her awards.

• Love 1

I love Carol Burnett and I love that she stood her ground all those years ago and refused to be pushed into a traditional sitcom. That tribute was nice and her speech was a wonderful mix of humor and fond memories.

I can almost guarantee you that we would not still be talking about 'Here's Agnes' the way we do the Carol Burnett Show. Off to find some clips - I need to see Carol, Time, Harvey, Vicki and Lyle doing what they did better than anyone.

Edited by cmahorror
  • Love 5

Yeah, I'm enjoying more of Brad's interviews.

Kate Winslett looked great! Isn't she the one who is always saying she won't be swayed by Hollywood's insistence on being thin?? Riiiight. She does seem like a regular person, though.

I think I remember reading someplace that Kate Winslet is a size 6, which by Hollywood standards is fat.  (insert eye roll here)   She looked fabulous tonight.

Brad was very good on the carpet tonight, especially his interview with DiCaprio.

• Love 1

I think my favorite thing about Leo is that he and Kate are buddies.  I don't believe that all costars should be friends or even like each other, as long as they are professional, but it is still great to see genuine relationships form and last.  I love that she was waiting to hug him when his name was called and I loved that he was so enthusiastic when he got to her.  I really want them seated next to each other on Oscar night. 

• Love 4

The most extremely random part of the whole thing: Most of you all are probably familiar with those ever cringe-worthy Phillips commercials, the ones where some lady asks a group if they have gas, etc.

Well, my father watched the awards and just had to touch base with me. He was confused as the ads are still in rotation, but an actress named Marge Royce was among those in the "In Memoriam" segment. Granted, most of those ads are maybe a year or two old, but some seemed recent.

Come to find out, Ms. Royce was the first such Phillips lady. Here is one of her Phillips ads from a year or two ago.

And here is one from some Safari. And I felt dumb, never realizing this commercial was with another actress (credited as Audrey Wasilewski). Ironically, my dad told me this ad ran just before Ms. Royce showed up in the memoriam list.

So now I wonder what happened to poor Ms. Royce as she seemed young. But at least Dad knows now.  :-)

• Love 1

I know I should love Saoirse Ronan because she's an amazing actress and a fellow Irish girl but she annoys me so much at these awards. I feel like she's trying really hard to act like the normal regular Irish girl and it especially bugs me how much she over exaggerates her accent when interviewed.

I respectfully disagree. I thought she was charming last night, especially when she was late for her entrance to introduce the next category because she was busy watching the clip from Straight Outta Compton.

Idris Elba makes everything better.

• Love 2

I know I should love Saoirse Ronan because she's an amazing actress and a fellow Irish girl but she annoys me so much at these awards. I feel like she's trying really hard to act like the normal regular Irish girl and it especially bugs me how much she over exaggerates her accent when interviewed.

I have to admit, I also wondered if she's been over exaggerating her accent. I'm not Irish, so I wouldn't necessarily know, but it seems very, very thick, even compared to other Irish actors, and given how young she is and the fact she's lived in places outside of Ireland (hasn't she lived in London for the last few years?), I just wonder if it's a tad put on for effect.

Edited by Ruby25

I have to admit, I also wondered if she's been over exaggerating her accent. I'm not Irish, so I wouldn't necessarily know, but it seems very, very thick, even compared to other Irish actors, and given how young she is and the fact she's lived in places outside of Ireland (hasn't she lived in London for the last few years?), I just wonder if it's a tad put on for effect.

I am Irish and trust me it's completely exaggerated. For starters she puts on a thick Dublin accent when she's in fact from Carlow. It could be her parents are from Dublin but the fact that she hasn't lived in Ireland full time for years and the accent just suddenly thickened out of nowhere makes me think it's put on for effect. I love that she's embracing her heritage but it's like she thinks that's the only thing making her standout from all other actresses and she's trying to Jennifer Lawrence it with using the accent or something. I love her success and think she's amazing but everytime I hear that accent I'm like shut up.

The most extremely random part of the whole thing: Most of you all are probably familiar with those ever cringe-worthy Phillips commercials, the ones where some lady asks a group if they have gas, etc.

Well, my father watched the awards and just had to touch base with me. He was confused as the ads are still in rotation, but an actress named Marge Royce was among those in the "In Memoriam" segment. Granted, most of those ads are maybe a year or two old, but some seemed recent.

Come to find out, Ms. Royce was the first such Phillips lady. Here is one of her Phillips ads from a year or two ago.

And here is one from some Safari. And I felt dumb, never realizing this commercial was with another actress (credited as Audrey Wasilewski). Ironically, my dad told me this ad ran just before Ms. Royce showed up in the memoriam list.

So now I wonder what happened to poor Ms. Royce as she seemed young. But at least Dad knows now.  :-)

When they showed Marge Royce in the "In Memoriam" segment, I said, "So *that's* why she was replaced in the Phillips ads!"  And I was surprised that she was included, because usually they don't show commercial actors.  But I Googled her, and she was very active in NY SAG, which announced it online when she died (of cancer) about a year ago, and probably accounts for her being included in the awards show segment.  Apparently, she was very well-liked and very well-respected by everyone at SAG.  It was nice that we viewers at least got to know her name ~ a final tribute.

• Love 1

No one from season 2 of Fargo even got a nomination?  That really weakens SAG's credibility about awards.  The snub of Oscar Isaac in Show Me A Hero is egregious, too.

Nor from American Crime, which has very heavy acting roles.  None from American Horror Story, which I don't watch.  But these are all those anthem? (not sure that's the word) type shows.  Maybe there is no category for them?

Their category is Television Movie or Miniseries.  Billy Bob Thornton was nominated as Lead Actor in this category for season 1 of Fargo.  Overlooking Kirsten Dunst's stellar work for season 2, while nominating Nicole Kidman for that atrocious movie about Princess Grace, is an absolute travesty.  Sometimes even actors don't recognize the best acting.

• Love 1

Nor from American Crime, which has very heavy acting roles. None from American Horror Story, which I don't watch. But these are all those anthem? (not sure that's the word) type shows. Maybe there is no category for them?

They're "anthology" shows. At least with respect to the fact that each season is considered a self-contained miniseries, sometimes/often with some/all of the characters appearing in seasons following their original introductions.

• Love 1

When they showed Marge Royce in the "In Memoriam" segment, I said, "So *that's* why she was replaced in the Phillips ads!"  And I was surprised that she was included, because usually they don't show commercial actors.  But I Googled her, and she was very active in NY SAG, which announced it online when she died (of cancer) about a year ago, and probably accounts for her being included in the awards show segment.  Apparently, she was very well-liked and very well-respected by everyone at SAG.  It was nice that we viewers at least got to know her name ~ a final tribute.

I was also glad to see Windell Middlebrooks featured in the "In Memoriam" segment.  He is best remembered for his performance as the delivery guy in the Miller High Life ads.  He was terrific in those commercials!  I don't recall the SAGs paying tribute to actors primarily known for commercials prior to this year.  Nice to see.

• Love 2

Did they say Brad Goreski styled Kaley Cuoco, or was that a joke?   Because that dress was awful.

Nicole Kidman --  no to the sequins and the fringe-y weird epaulet-like sleeves.  

Liked Taraji(sp?) P. Henson's dress.

Nice to see Sofia Vergara in a short dress -- a different look for her.

2 minutes ago, maraleia said:

So Kerry Washington, Ashton Kutcher and Julia Louis-Dreyfus right out of the gate standing up to Trump and his so-called policies. Kudos to them.

I agree with all of them but I'd prefer some entertainment tonight and a minimum of political statements, you know?

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, Fostersmom said:

When was the last time Ashton was in anything? 

He's got a show on Netflix with Danny Masterson (Hyde from That 70's Show). It's not too bad but I got rid of Netflix a few months back so haven't kept up with the show to know if it's still on or not.

• Love 1
Just now, maraleia said:

In normal times I would agree with you but we are in the midst of a constitutional crisis at the moment.

I think so too and have been stressed out reading the news and that's why I want some escapism tonight. Pretty dresses, ugly dresses, etc. 

• Love 3